PDA

View Full Version : Show a child the way

randyfromalberta
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
There is something I would like to say to all the hunters and fishermen out there in regards to one of your life's passions.
I grew up without the chance to experience the joy of having someone to bond with in regards to outdoor activities. I read some of the stories and questions on here in regards to taking a son or daughter fishing or hunting just to give them that experience, It fill my heat with joy to see people passing on their experiences and joy with their children, but at the same time it tears me up ( as it is doing now). So many children have no outlets on life except for what they see on television and in movies. They will never be able to experience the joy of the outdoors or the companionship and life's lessons which can easily make or break a child forever. You hear so many parents asking why their children "are the way they are,without direction and always in trouble". Could it be that the parents have a lot to do with it and could change it by just including them into their joys of life?
I do what I can to help now, but because of my disabilities my days of outdoor activities are over which does hurt since I cannot enjoy what I used to.

Please, be a mentor for your children, your relatives children or just a child that wood love a new direction in life.
Everyone's heart is big enough to work a lifetime, donate a small piece to someone else.
Thank
Randy Scott

kinwahkly
04-23-2009, 11:22 AM
So , true I grew up with my Father taking me out most weekends fishing the streams and rivers of Alberta and will always remember those days, I now have 3 kids and I take every opprtunity to invite and sahre my fishing and upland bird shooting with them, the 2 girls are not quite keen on it as is my 12 year old son.

Morph1
04-23-2009, 11:27 AM
Well said...
I agree 100 % with you,
and my daughter will drop anything for fishing already, anytime :) and I'm proud of it.

Cheers !

troller
04-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Good post. I found out in my late 20's that my Dad hated fishing.......but he took me out at least a dozen times every summer because I liked to do it. Almost brings a tear to my eye just writing it LOL

fishing_flower
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree with you.
Some of my fondest memories of childhood are the times my father took us out on Sunday drives to do things like fishing, tobogoning etc. Skating on natural lakes that fathers had shovelled for the kids. He always had time for those special days. My first ice fishing trip, he took an old broom handle cut it up into pieces for us and tied on line and hooks. :D And we caught them without all the gadgets. Towing us up logging roads on Sunday, on a tobogan. that was fun! Going to the local dump and shooting cans with his 22. I shot it once, landed on my butt and decided I didn't like it:lol: My mom teaching me to sew, cook, skate and swim. I remember it all fondly...so I try to do things with my own children so they remember too. They learn there is more to life than tv and video games. I enjoy the time I spend with my kids, and love hearing those kids telling fish stories:lol:

I-Love-Eyes
04-23-2009, 04:34 PM
It's especially gratifying when all those special bonding times together caused your child :love: to make a career choice involved with the preservation and conservation of our beautiful outdoor world!!:o:):lol:

hal53
04-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Good post. I found out in my late 20's that my Dad hated fishing.......but he took me out at least a dozen times every summer because I liked to do it. Almost brings a tear to my eye just writing it LOL
Same here, but he never once questioned or said no, when I wanted to go...we got talking when I was getting married about chidhood etc, (I was25)...when he finally admitted he hated fishing, saying it was a jerk on one end of the line, waiting for a jerk on the other end:lol::lol::lol: but.....hunting was adifferent story......

Jayball
07-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Love fishing with my children (5 & 7). We fish pigeon alot and that is a good lake to get them "hooked". Fishing is my passion hobby and i amd proud they enjoy it too.

Last week the family was on holiday in the Sun Peaks area near kamloops. I took the opportunity to explore some of the back country trout lakes in the area. I rented a boat at knouff lake one evening and brought my 7 yr old daughter. I have amazing memories of the two of us on that quiet mountian lake... still as glass... listening to loons... watching fish rise (she was my professional spotter).

Lots of strikes, but i never landed one fish (I am a total rookie at fly fishing) but in the end... it wasnt the point.

Take your kids out... show them the great outdoors and what an amazing world this earth is.

DarkAisling
07-18-2009, 10:28 AM
It's funny. As a child I hated it when dad dragged my sister and I out fishing on lakes in BC. I whined and complained. I hated being in the boat. The dead heads scared me. I was a royal pain in the arse. I never caught anything. "Dad . . . can we pleeeeese go home????!!!!"

I fished a bit with a boyfriend when I was in high school. Hmm. Not so bad. I actually kind of enjoyed it. Still didn't catch anything.

It's taken me a while, but now I'm getting everyone (both boys and my partner) all geared up for fishing. I remember those fishing trips with my dad fondly now, and I really want my boys to have those memories as well. It helps to have a partner who is really supportive and quite anxious to get back out there as well.

This time I'm bound and determined to catch something!

MrDave
07-18-2009, 10:47 AM
To take a newby out and have them experience something that I used to take for granted, has renewed my love for the outdoors. I have went with the local grade 5's for outdoor ed., and seen the joy of getting a stranger his first fish. Took one of my daughter's friends mountain climbing, and seen the look in her eyes. Then she said," I am scared of heights, you know." I guess that problem was solved.

We, as outdoors people, are the best thing that some of the future generations can have. With the growing urban population, the youth are not getting out to enjoy the wilderness. As a result, the wilderness gets destroyed when they are old enough to go on their own, all because they were not taught to respect what is out there.