PDA

View Full Version : 303 Ross what's it worth

RustyRick
05-02-2017, 05:44 PM
I bought it in the 60's. Maybe shot 6 rounds through it. It has 1905 stamped on it.

Non of my offspring would appreciate it, so she may as well go to a good home.

What might it be worth?

elkdump
05-02-2017, 05:46 PM
Is it still all military wood and steel ?

Or is it bubba sporterized ?

Huge difference in value ,,

Boogerfart
05-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Pictures?

Dewey Cox
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Maybe $125.
Maybe way more.
Can't tell from here.

KegRiver
05-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I paid $135.00 for mine twenty years ago.
At the time I was told I had paid too much.

A lot of people are afraid of them and being a .303 there is not much demand for them.

I would not sell one for less then $150.00, but that's just me.

If I had the money I'd put in a bid on it, but right now I need all available income to build my business.

CMichaud
05-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Key to value is whether it is full wood or cut down.

A couple of pics would narrow it down real quick

Flieguy
05-03-2017, 05:33 PM
depending on what she looks like I might like to trade you a spoerterized enfield for it

mgvande
05-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Pics pls

West O'5
05-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Had one briefly around 15 years ago that I picked up for $75 bucks(?),but it was in pretty rough shape.Im guessing it had seen either extensive combat or training or both as it was almost a smooth bore when I got it,lol.....shot a solid 5-6MOA with a broken front sight post that I built up with JB Weld,then filed down bit by bit for elevation.....yours truly custom gunsmithing,lol.🤣
I killed a cpl deer with it just to say I did,one inside 50 yards and this buck in pic at around 150-ish(?)...then the next year I carried it as a beater truck gun at work and missed a broadside borderline Booner THREE TIMES at 120yards!!
He just stood there absolutely oblivious to being shot at...walked 4 steps closer for 2nd shot.....missed..... then he turned and walked 4-5 steps other direction,continued feeding....missed 3rd shot......then he walked away and disappeared into bush oblivious to entire event!! Never seen anything like it!!
I "almost" wrapped that rifle around the closest birch tree right then and there!!😬 ......and THAT was THE END of that rifle's hunting life!
"Kinda" wish I still had it for historic nostalgia wallhanger,but it's hunting days were long since past......but I traded it away for something useful at some point?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/nbgreener/deer2007003.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nbgreener/media/deer2007003.jpg.html)

mgvande
05-07-2017, 01:39 PM
Had one briefly around 15 years ago that I picked up for $75 bucks(?),but it was in pretty rough shape.Im guessing it had seen either extensive combat or training or both as it was almost a smooth bore when I got it,lol.....shot a solid 5-6MOA with a broken front sight post that I built up with JB Weld,then filed down bit by bit for elevation.....yours truly custom gunsmithing,lol.🤣
I killed a cpl deer with it just to say I did,one inside 50 yards and this buck in pic at around 150-ish(?)...then the next year I carried it as a beater truck gun at work and missed a broadside borderline Booner THREE TIMES at 120yards!!
He just stood there absolutely oblivious to being shot at...walked 4 steps closer for 2nd shot.....missed..... then he turned and walked 4-5 steps other direction,continued feeding....missed 3rd shot......then he walked away and disappeared into bush oblivious to entire event!! Never seen anything like it!!
I "almost" wrapped that rifle around the closest birch tree right then and there!!😬 ......and THAT was THE END of that rifle's hunting life!
"Kinda" wish I still had it for historic nostalgia wallhanger,but it's hunting days were long since past......but I traded it away for something useful at some point?
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/nbgreener/deer2007003.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/nbgreener/media/deer2007003.jpg.html)

You missed with a Ross? More range time required. It's always the biggest one that gets missed and its always the gun.

West O'5
05-07-2017, 02:49 PM
You missed with a Ross? More range time required. It's always the biggest one that gets missed and its always the gun.
Yea ok 👌.
I guess you missed the part where it likely had 20K + rounds through it's almost smoothbore printing 6MOA on a good day with its JB Weld front sight? 🤔

mgvande
05-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Yea ok 👌.
I guess you missed the part where it likely had 20K + rounds through it's almost smoothbore printing 6MOA on a good day with its JB Weld front sight? 🤔

Ok so he hunts with a 6moa gun. Can't blame it if you know it.

West O'5
05-31-2017, 07:56 PM
Ok so he hunts with a 6moa gun. Can't blame it if you know it.

There's been a million deer and then some killed with 6MOA muzzleloaders,shotguns and bows.
Most people would do well to shoot 6moa with most iron sighted rifles.

gitrdun
06-01-2017, 08:08 AM
I bought it in the 60's. Maybe shot 6 rounds through it. It has 1905 stamped on it.

Non of my offspring would appreciate it, so she may as well go to a good home.

What might it be worth?

There are folks who are avid collectors. Find one of those to optimize your sale. The collectors are often found at gun shows. Good luck. :)

mgvande
06-01-2017, 08:29 AM
There's been a million deer and then some killed with 6MOA muzzleloaders,shotguns and bows.
Most people would do well to shoot 6moa with most iron sighted rifles.

I shoot a lot of 303 and older guns. If I have one that isn't shooting well I take steps to improve it. Whether it be buying a mold to increase bullet diameter or paper patching an off the shelf mold. The guns that are not shooting accurately don't go hunting. All are iron sights all the ones that go to the bush are shooting 2 to 3" at 100m some even are better. Typically I'm leaning against a tree so shots are 50m Max. Ethically for the animal and my own piece that's what I do. If you think that 6 MOA is acceptable when it can be improved that's fine. Each to their own. Yes lots of animals have been shot by 6moa guns but if one is using these guns don't be surprised your animal dies in the bush a day later or the best case totally miss. I just think that an animal deserves your best when you are hunting.
To the op. That gun is about a 150 to 200 dollar gun.