PDA

View Full Version : silverado community storm pond has been stocked!

rena0040
05-04-2017, 07:17 PM
I noticed the water boiling today with fish rising, which I thought was odd as I've lived here for 8 years and never seen one in there before.
Today I found one of these dead on shore, it's about 5"

Anyone have a contact person to inform about this?

Deer Hunter
05-04-2017, 07:20 PM
These fish are in most ponds in the city

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/12/city-is-concerned-about-invasive-species-of-fish-showing-up-in-urban-storm-water-ponds

Fishslayer99
05-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Just another invasive Prussian carp, i wouldn't bother calling it in as ESRD will just ad a pin to the map of places infested with these things. They cannot do anything about it as they are way too widespread and damn near impossible to kill....Happy fishing :mad0030:

jeprli
05-05-2017, 06:08 PM
City of Calgary was already conducting test last september/October in that pond.

Habfan
05-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Best tasting fish on the planet ! Superb white meat, a little boney, great for soup. :) get out there and catch them before they're gone ! Yummy !!

Newellknik
05-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Just go down there Saturday morning , see who is
Fishing then you'll know who stocked it . 3 guesses
That's a nice one ,perfect wok size !
Kind of like planting a garden , Aquaculture , I don't
blame people , just reading about eating farmed
Salmon , yuuuuuk !

Fishslayer99
05-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Best tasting fish on the planet ! Superb white meat, a little boney, great for soup. :) get out there and catch them before they're gone ! Yummy !!

They aren't going anywhere so I wouldn't worry about it. Alberta is now infested with them and they are getting more widespread and established each year. You can net them by the thousands in early spring first ice off. They spawn in the shallows and you can go in with waders and a fishing net and clean up on them.

Flieguy
05-28-2017, 12:03 PM
where is this pond? I wouldn't mind trying the 3wt for them :ashamed:

Dubious
05-28-2017, 12:51 PM
this is the only pond in Silverado if there in there there probably in the big pond next to 22x and Macleod I think this pond drains into that one at high water. I was wondering why there was a no fishing sign out recently

https://goo.gl/maps/77ktXRKkWGw

Dubious
05-28-2017, 02:46 PM
There's a sign up for sure says no fishing no stocking and call 311 if you see people doing fun stuff. Pretty sad

Flieguy
05-28-2017, 04:40 PM
it's ok I won't be fishing I'll be fly fishing O_O

Redfrog
05-28-2017, 04:46 PM
They aren't going anywhere so I wouldn't worry about it. Alberta is now infested with them and they are getting more widespread and established each year. You can net them by the thousands in early spring first ice off. They spawn in the shallows and you can go in with waders and a fishing net and clean up on them.

Is that legal??:thinking-006:

Habfan
05-29-2017, 07:52 AM
Calling 311 gets a city complaint line. They won't do anything. I don't think there is a bylaw regarding fishing in storm ponds. its a public green space, not private property. Anybody can put up a sign. :sign0176:

Dewey Cox
05-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Is that Prussian carp, or sterile grass carp that was put in to control weeds?
If there's a sign saying no fishing, I would suspect someone spent money on putting fish in there to clean up algae or something.
(Just a theory)

Habfan
05-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Prussian ! My theory is that people that live around the park complained.

Sundancefisher
05-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Is that Prussian carp, or sterile grass carp that was put in to control weeds?
If there's a sign saying no fishing, I would suspect someone spent money on putting fish in there to clean up algae or something.
(Just a theory)

No. Sterile Grass carp were for plant control.

jeprli
05-29-2017, 02:28 PM
Bwo emerges work good size 18.

walking buffalo
05-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Is that legal??:thinking-006:

Follow the fishing regs and rules for catching bait fish with a net and it's all good.
Just be sure to kill every one before transporting them.

This one looks more like a Crucian Carp than a Prussian, that that it matters anymore....

Dubious
06-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Resurrect this one

I’ve been seeing lots of guys and kids out fishing the pond lately. Has anyone that’s been down there Got any pictures of the fish there catching? The water was down really low a few times I almost thought everything would have died off.

barbless
06-13-2020, 01:01 PM
Oh boy more bucket brigades? Get out your 15 ft poles people.

Dubious
06-13-2020, 01:21 PM
Oh boy more bucket brigades? Get out your 15 ft poles people.

Ya I think so there has been carp in there for a few years but recently where has been a lot more people fishing it.

marlin1
06-18-2020, 05:51 PM
tried it today . no bites about a dozen dead on shore . Watched an Osprey catch one . They may not have liked my bar rig setup , not sure

WayneChristie
06-18-2020, 06:36 PM
tried it today . no bites about a dozen dead on shore . Watched an Osprey catch one . They may not have liked my bar rig setup , not sure

I just downsized my sturgeon setup, small hook near the bottom and also found if you are using worms, they will take fresh ones, not any that are mangled or lifeless. Pretty fussy for a goldfish :) I even tried half dew worms the last couple days, and seem to get more of the bigger ones. have to let them gobble it for a few seconds but they like it. a small treble with small garden worms is probably the best hookup on them. managed to zombify 10 the last 2 days and some are well over the 3 pounds they say they grow to. even fight good on light gear. amazing how you can smash their heads into pulp and they still dont die. I also made a reel mount for my bow so have to see how that goes, the old gatorade bottle rig was kinda scary :)

nick0danger
06-18-2020, 07:16 PM
I just downsized my sturgeon setup, small hook near the bottom and also found if you are using worms, they will take fresh ones, not any that are mangled or lifeless. Pretty fussy for a goldfish :) I even tried half dew worms the last couple days, and seem to get more of the bigger ones. have to let them gobble it for a few seconds but they like it. a small treble with small garden worms is probably the best hookup on them. managed to zombify 10 the last 2 days and some are well over the 3 pounds they say they grow to. even fight good on light gear. amazing how you can smash their heads into pulp and they still dont die. I also made a reel mount for my bow so have to see how that goes, the old gatorade bottle rig was kinda scary :)

Oh snap bow fishing can be a thing here! However it is illegal to release an arrow in the city!

WayneChristie
06-18-2020, 07:28 PM
Oh snap bow fishing can be a thing here! However it is illegal to release an arrow in the city!

fortunately I live a long way from the city :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
06-18-2020, 07:36 PM
Follow the fishing regs and rules for catching bait fish with a net and it's all good.
Just be sure to kill every one before transporting them.

This one looks more like a Crucian Carp than a Prussian, that that it matters anymore....

they are illegal to use for bait so you would be breaking the law if that was your route. I dont see why there would be any concern in a private pond like that one if you did it just to get rid of an invasive species and put everything else back, but I dont write tickets . Id love to see AEP try to seine net some of the places these things are and get rid of a bunch that way too. maybe a small amount of bycatch waste would be worth it in the end. If you were to see how many of these things are in our waters you would cry its horrible. you think bad fish handling kills or injures a lot of fish what are all the fish going to do when the Prussians eat all their food? That will impact all of them not just some of them.

Dead Moose
06-18-2020, 09:11 PM
Those Prussian Carp make great fertilizer in your flower gardens. Just did a trench and fill it.

walking buffalo
06-18-2020, 10:01 PM
they are illegal to use for bait so you would be breaking the law if that was your route. I dont see why there would be any concern in a private pond like that one if you did it just to get rid of an invasive species and put everything else back, but I dont write tickets . Id love to see AEP try to seine net some of the places these things are and get rid of a bunch that way too. maybe a small amount of bycatch waste would be worth it in the end. If you were to see how many of these things are in our waters you would cry its horrible. you think bad fish handling kills or injures a lot of fish what are all the fish going to do when the Prussians eat all their food? That will impact all of them not just some of them.

I don't think so.

I never suggested using carp for bait.

Using a cast net or a trap are legal forms of fishing.

If you are using a trap and catch crayfish, you can kill and keep 'em...
If you catch some carp when twirling a cast net....
Kill 'em, eat 'em if you want,

Just don't use them as fish bait.