PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Govt supports Illegal fish stocking

Don Andersen
05-04-2017, 08:00 PM
In it's continuing efforts to destroy the fisheries in Alberta, the Province is now rewarding illegal stocking of fish by legitimizing the taking of illegally stocked perch.
Here I though the stocking of Crimson Lake with perch would have stopped the rewarding of illegal stocking.
Nope - now Struble Lake is the newest throwaway lake.

From the regulations in 2017:

New Harvest Opportunities
Ø Pike: Pine Coulee Reservoir, Magee Lake, Manatokan Lake, Bangs Lake.
Ø Walleye: Pine Coulee Reservoir, Burnstick Lake, Gleniffer Reservoir,
Gull Lake, Lac Bellevue, Bourque Lake, Hilda Lake, and Lac La Biche.
Ø Yellow Perch: Strubel Lake.

After near 40 years of doing absolutely nothing about illegal stocking, this is the Govt's newest attack on our trout fisheries.

Disgusted as usual,

Don

Habfan
05-04-2017, 08:13 PM
More people complaining about not being able to keep the perch, than people complaining about illegal stocking of the perch !!!! Squeaky wheel gets the grease. :(

RavYak
05-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Figure out a way to fund a rotenone kill if you have a problem with this. Leaving it closed to retention only further wrecks the lake.

Outdoorfanatic
05-04-2017, 09:45 PM
In it's continuing efforts to destroy the fisheries in Alberta, the Province is now rewarding illegal stocking of fish by legitimizing the taking of illegally stocked perch.
Here I though the stocking of Crimson Lake with perch would have stopped the rewarding of illegal stocking.

After near 40 years of doing absolutely nothing about illegal stocking, this is the Govt's newest attack on our trout fisheries.

Disgusted as usual,

Don

Yet the regs have always stated that when fishing on water not specified in regs for the zone that you are fishing that you are to revert to the provincial limits of fish caught in that water body. So example if you're fishing on an unnamed lake and you catch a jack than you go by the provincial limits. Unless of course your fishing a trout pond than you can only keep trout. So illegally stocked jack that eat all the trout fry have to be put back into a water body where they don't belong? So the regs have for a long time been confusing.

last minute
05-05-2017, 04:37 AM
I like perch :)

idaman
05-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Disgusted as usual,

Don

Once again this Grumpy old man ranting yet again... this is not an "attack" on our trout fisheries. :snapoutofit:

Colin_r6
05-05-2017, 07:26 AM
If you're serious, you'll phone your local government official and fish and wildlife on a weekly basis to complain.

Otherwise its just crying on a message board for the sake of raising a post count and hearing your own voice. Much the same as "solving the worlds problems' over coffee.

tallieho
05-05-2017, 07:41 AM
One thing that Don missed & may only allow for the greater distrubution of perch.See when the govt.identifies a trout stocked lake of containing Perch.It is taken of the stocking list.So know one wins hear.Perch in these lks get stunted.No trout stocked.Perch just get tinier,& tinier.Maybe its time for the govt. to change over one the hatcheries to walleye.Then they could put them in these lakes,therefore perhaps .Curtailing the illegal bucket brigcade..Heck with more trout lakes with Perch are identified,where are they going to put the trout anyways.40years of no resolve,well here's my .02 cents worth...maybe they could funnel some of that carbon tax grab,to fund this.....:argue2::thinking-006:

MrDave
05-05-2017, 08:21 AM

Disgusted as usual,

Don

This was done because the majority of people VOTED to allow this. Didn't vote? I did.

Since the lake winter kills, it's only a matter of time until the whole lake is dead again, so we voted on this. It allows us a place to take the little kids to catch a plateau of pan fries.
Considering it's just a big slough, and can't support trout long term I'm for it.

SNAPFisher
05-05-2017, 10:13 AM
This was done because the majority of people VOTED to allow this. Didn't vote? I did.

Agreed but I think the point Don is also trying to make is this is very reactive "Its screwed now, so what do would you like us to do .." versus putting more measures to prevent it in the first place.

That said, Alberta's approach does not sound that different from our direct neighbor to the South:

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/species/illegalFish.html

Tough battle for many places for sure...I don't have a good answer.

waterninja
05-05-2017, 03:17 PM

Since the lake winter kills, it's only a matter of time until the whole lake is dead again, so we voted on this. It allows us a place to take the little kids to catch a plateau of pan fries.
Considering it's just a big slough, and can't support trout long term I'm for it.
Never been to Strubal, don't even know where it is. I am curious about this vote that you refer to. Was this a local thing? How does one get on the voters list?

idaman
05-05-2017, 03:33 PM
Never been to Strubal, don't even know where it is. I am curious about this vote that you refer to. Was this a local thing? How does one get on the voters list?

Was part of the surveys by ESRD???
I prior to the regs being printed but not written...
However it's unlikely that we will ever know how the majority of people responded as the regs came out almost immediately after.
So really we were only asked, so we could feel like we had some input, when the already had new regs written.
I find it hard to believe that the majority of the people who took the survey supported this or the PCR changes.

Unregistered user
05-05-2017, 05:16 PM
What's the limit on Asian carp?

wind drift
05-05-2017, 05:52 PM
Was part of the surveys by ESRD???
I prior to the regs being printed but not written...
However it's unlikely that we will ever know how the majority of people responded as the regs came out almost immediately after.
So really we were only asked, so we could feel like we had some input, when the already had new regs written.
I find it hard to believe that the majority of the people who took the survey supported this or the PCR changes.

Actually, the survey results were posted to the survey site.

idaman
05-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Actually, the survey results were posted to the survey site.

Either way it wasn't because of the public response, too little time between survey and printed regs being out.

waterninja
05-05-2017, 07:11 PM
Once again this Grumpy old man ranting yet again... this is not an "attack" on our trout fisheries. :snapoutofit:
Surprises me how often I see posts that are insulting to another member because someone disagrees. Lately you can call a member anything you want from the saftey of your keyboard. I guess it's the internet world we live in.

the local angler
05-05-2017, 07:43 PM
What's the limit on Asian carp?

as far as i know there is no limit on asian carp, except srd doesn not reccomend you throw them back in the water body it came from. if it is not listed as a provincial game fish species there is no limit.

idaman
05-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Surprises me how often I see posts that are insulting to another member because someone disagrees. Lately you can call a member anything you want from the saftey of your keyboard. I guess it's the internet world we live in.

Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.

Don Andersen
05-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Lost to perch in the Rocky area include Twin Lake, Struble Lake, Cow Lake, Phyllis Lake, Tay Lake plus several small UN-named ponds.
Crimson Lake was not a fishery since the '50's but it is now toast.
Twin held rainbows of 5 lbs.
Struble held rainbows of 10 lbs.
Cow Lake raised rainbows to 15 lbs.
Tay raised rainbows to 5 lbs.

Now they raise tiny perch.

Fourty years of talent pays off in tiny perch.

Don

Girlsfishtoo
05-05-2017, 11:00 PM
Yeah it's something else, if a fish is bleeding let's put it back too, and let's keep the breeder pike over 63cm, Alberta could never manage nothing right, don't even get me started on the hunting end of it

waterninja
05-06-2017, 02:29 AM
[QUOTE=idaman;3533298]Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.[/QUO

Lamest appoalagy I've seen on AO.. You dont' have to appolagise to me fool. Appolagise to the member you insulted. I could care less what you think me, but your bad manners are like a virus. You are what we call an enabler. I blame it on the schools.

tallieho
05-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Yes Don can speak his mind.He is right more often than not.I took up flyfishing 41 yrs ago.I can remember the superb days catching huge rainbows in Cow lake.Then it winterkilled the big trout all diewent back 2 years later & all i caught was perch.All jumbos,you no back when you were aloud 30 fish.Caught enough for a good fry for the family.But 2 years later the fish were a good 3 " smaller.Phylis was the same.When was the last time you seen a perch infested lake,maintain even catchable fish.These[lakes] all get stunted,alot over populate & pray for winterkill to drastically kill them off...
The thing that ****es me off is the lakes that Don speaks to are trout stocked lakes.Where our fishing lic.fees have gone into creating these fisheries.The govt. has a duty,to at least try to eradicate the perch.That's what our lic.fees pay them to do...

Mr Flyguy
05-06-2017, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=idaman;3533298]Have you not seen this guys BS rants?? I was being polite and would happily say anything I want to Mr.anderson or anybody in person if they say something stupid...old or young.[/QUO

Lamest appoalagy I've seen on AO.. You dont' have to appolagise to me fool. Appolagise to the member you insulted. I could care less what you think me, but your bad manners are like a virus. You are what we call an enabler. I blame it on the schools.

appoalagy???
appolagise???

I blame your spelling on the schools.

waterninja
05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=waterninja;3533517]

appoalagy???
appolagise???

I blame your spelling on the schools.

You got me on the spelling. I try to spell everything correctly, but things happen during an exciting Oiler game.
I think you got the meaning though, if not please ask someone to explain it to you. There are plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes on the forum, but most of us are too polite to mention it.

Mr Flyguy
05-06-2017, 09:49 AM
I apologize, if I were an Oilers fan I would be upset as well!

idaman
05-06-2017, 12:48 PM

This is my only apology....
Sorry if you thought it was an apology... it wasn't. No need for me to apologize, didn't say anything that would warrrant one.

3blade
05-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Lost to perch in the Rocky area include Twin Lake, Struble Lake, Cow Lake, Phyllis Lake, Tay Lake plus several small UN-named ponds.

Don

:lol: :lol: :lol: when? 40 years ago when the first trout were put in and there was 3 of you fishing for them, maybe. How many 10 lb trout have we seen in the last three years?

People want to keep fish. the way things are going, we will have to have a p17 just to look at a walleye. Snot rockets taste like mud and cost a lot of money to stock. Perch reproduce on their own and taste good, even when small. People's motivation for fishing has changed, the old snooty 'sportsman' fishing for 'highly regarded species' attitude is dying off. Personally I'd say let's discontinue the rainbows altogether in favor of perch and walleye stocking, if we are going to have a put and take fishery, it may as well be for something that is worth taking.

Habfan
05-06-2017, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mr Flyguy;3533588]

You got me on the spelling. I try to spell everything correctly, but things happen during an exciting Oiler game.
I think you got the meaning though, if not please ask someone to explain it to you. There are plenty of spelling and grammer mistakes on the forum, but most of us are too polite to mention it.

The only thing you should apologize for is being on a chat forum while your hockey team is playing a PLAYOFF game ! :snapoutofit:

Bigstone
05-06-2017, 07:22 PM
As the grump says this has been a problem for many years and putting limits on illegally stocked perch does tend to legitimize it. Many of the elite fishermen really howl about it but mostly it goes ignored....who else cares?

I care and hate to see trout lakes ruined but my question to all is "what can anyone do about it"? Including the govt. The only reasonable action I've seen is the complementary planting of pike in Cow Lake. Other than something like that these lakes are screwed and more will continue to be.

waterninja
05-06-2017, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE=waterninja;3533623]

The only thing you should apologize for is being on a chat forum while your hockey team is playing a PLAYOFF game ! :snapoutofit:
LOL. Yeh no kidding. This is not near as bad as the one in hunting that I posted while watching the Oilers. What I don't like is how rude people are on the forum lately. You can call people any names you like with no repercussions. One thing to disagree, or call them out on an obvious error, but all the name calling and slandering gets tiresome.
Oh well, it's the internet. I'm much more upset with the refeering in the Oilers series then I am about a few keyboard warriors.

P.S. I never did find out about this vote some of you were talking about. Was there an e-mail sent to everyone with a win#? I couldn't figure out what idiman was trying to say.

Supergrit
05-06-2017, 11:10 PM
What is the smallest perch people eat when perch are in a trout lake the biggest is like 5 inches from what I saw do people clean and eat these ?

SNAPFisher
05-07-2017, 06:51 AM
[QUOTE=Habfan;3533871]
P.S. I never did find out about this vote some of you were talking about. Was there an e-mail sent to everyone with a win#? I couldn't figure out what idiman was trying to say.

I'm sure he is referring to the SRD surveys that were recently sent out. The links were posted on here as well.

There was a comment earlier that no changes could have been made that fast, wrong. I don't think so. Manatokan is another one that changed and I put in a mountain of comments on that one. Looks to me like they are implementing some of the changes that they could do quickly. Great! FYI, I put in that it should managed as a trophy perch fishery. Hope it is deep and sustainable enough for that.

I've never fished Struble so cannot comment on the fishing. I do see Don's point and it boils my blood to that there are others out there set to change and ruin things for others - i.e. bucket brigade.

The argument that perch are tastier is all fine and dandy but a 5 inch perch compared to a 20 inch fighting rainbow....really??? Apparently there are some on here that have no understanding of the word "sporting".

I'm with Don. Wouldn't it be great to have a province that has great perching fishing and trout fishing (amongst other species as well). Imagine an area created, maintained and monitored the sported 10 lb rainbows even nowadays and another lake no so far away with 12 inch or bigger perch. Selection for all kinds of different anglers. Sounds like Manitoba... :)

When it comes to the limited resources we have and all the challenges we have, the worst thing is yet another selfish group that sets out to undermine that. It is a crime and shame.

Habfan
05-07-2017, 08:45 AM
^^^^^. I didn't post that, I filled out the survey. :thinking-006:

the local angler
05-07-2017, 08:49 AM
i agree with ya snap there are so many lakes in various provinces and states that carry multiple species and if managed properly provides a great fishery for everyone.

SNAPFisher
05-07-2017, 09:07 AM
^^^^^. I didn't post that, I filled out the survey. :thinking-006:

Cut and paste error. Waterninja was asking.

Habfan
05-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Cut and paste error. Waterninja was asking.

I thought I had a couple too many !:bad_boys_20:

Unregistered user
05-07-2017, 09:46 AM
What is the smallest perch people eat when perch are in a trout lake the biggest is like 5 inches from what I saw do people clean and eat these ?

Our community lake is polluted with perch, there are some asian ladies that will gladly take any size perch off your hands (we have no limit on size or numbers) I should ask how they prepare them.

wags
05-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Don

5 and 7 pound rainbow out of Cow and 12 pound out of Phyllis. All in the past two seasons.

Not to mention the 20lb pike out of Cow.

If Crimson Lake isn't a fishery, how could it be toast?

Seen perch at Cow once. Stubel produced rainbows at about 5 to 1 rate of Perch.

I like fishing.

Cheers

walking buffalo
05-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Alberta Govt supports Illegal fish stocking

Disgusted as usual,

Don

Yes, you do seem disgusted, as usual.

Might be worth some intraspection?

While this rant blaming the government is some real sloppy colouring....

What is YOUR solution to the problem?

SNAPFisher
05-07-2017, 09:24 PM
5 and 7 pound rainbow out of Cow and 12 pound out of Phyllis. All in the past two seasons.

I like fishing.

Cheers

:):):)

TylerThomson
05-07-2017, 09:36 PM
D

Jack fish hunter
05-07-2017, 09:45 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: when? 40 years ago when the first trout were put in and there was 3 of you fishing for them, maybe. How many 10 lb trout have we seen in the last three years?

People want to keep fish. the way things are going, we will have to have a p17 just to look at a walleye. Snot rockets taste like mud and cost a lot of money to stock. Perch reproduce on their own and taste good, even when small. People's motivation for fishing has changed, the old snooty 'sportsman' fishing for 'highly regarded species' attitude is dying off. Personally I'd say let's discontinue the rainbows altogether in favor of perch and walleye stocking, if we are going to have a put and take fishery, it may as well be for something that is worth taking.

I agree with that. Not a big walleye fan would rather see them in ponds rather then pike lakes.

3blade
05-08-2017, 12:30 AM
Our community lake is polluted with perch, there are some asian ladies that will gladly take any size perch off your hands (we have no limit on size or numbers) I should ask how they prepare them.

Many years ago, before Cardiff winterkilled, I happened to be flyfishing beside some Asian fellows who were doing quite well on perch. The rainbows were so bad even the cat wouldn't eat em, so I thought what the heck, let's see what these guys know. They introduced me to slip float fishing and I had limits of perch almost every trip after that. The average was 6-7 inches, some bigger. Cleaned boneless and battered in cornflakes, fried in butter. Absolutely delicious and a huge crowd pleaser. its a fair bit of knife work but that isn't something that bothers me. 3-4 inch filleting knife helps

One egg, half cup of milk, whisked together in a bowl. Plate filled with cornflake crumbs. Dip in egg, then cornflakes, then into a hot pan with plenty of butter. Sprinkle with lemon pepper. Turn once. When done, put on a jerky screen and into the oven at 200 to keep warm prior to serving. The smaller ones are sweet and never have the fishy taste bigger walleye sometimes develop

waterninja
05-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Yes, you do seem disgusted, as usual.

Might be worth some intraspection?

While this rant blaming the government is some real sloppy colouring....

What is YOUR solution to the problem?
I don't mean this as an insult, but what are you blathering on about wb? Even Google has no definition for intraspection. Sloppy colouring?? Please speak English when insulting or being rude to someone on this forum.

I do agree with other posters that once perch are in a trout pond, we should do our best to get rid of them. I guess that makes me a poacher. Again.

Sundancefisher
05-08-2017, 07:25 AM
I like perch :)

It is not a question about liking perch it is about managing a fishery responsibly.

Do you like catching only 4-6 inch perch is the question you should be responding to. If you answer is yes then you have many opportunities now without needing more. If you find 4-6 inch perch not worth your time...and rather catch 14-20 inch rainbows...you are SOL in many lakes now.

The government needs to find a way to manage the perch better. Maybe an illegal stocking levy on licenses with money going to netting research. Or maybe a catch and release on browns and stock rainbows larger.

Sundancefisher
05-08-2017, 07:31 AM

some cultures will eat small perch. They gut them and deep fry and eat whole. Others gut and bake/fry and pull the skin off. I fillet then batter or fry in butter or oil as the case may be.

Flour, salt, pepper, lemon herb spice, crushed ritz crackers. Roll pieces in egg white/milk mix and then fry in pan. Small perch take about 5-10 seconds each side.

History at Lake Sundance shows...1:100 anglers loves small perch. 5:100 will catch when bored. 10:100 will come out for a derby with prize incentives. 50:100 anglers will try once.

Vast majority will have tried it once and are not interested in catching 4-6 inch perch. Therefore they own whatever lake some idiot puts them into.

Illegal stockers should lose all their worldly possessions and money and go to jail for the disgraceful wonton act of sabotaging and vandalizing public waters.

RavYak
05-08-2017, 07:54 AM
It is not a question about liking perch it is about managing a fishery responsibly.

Do you like catching only 4-6 inch perch is the question you should be responding to. If you answer is yes then you have many opportunities now without needing more. If you find 4-6 inch perch not worth your time...and rather catch 14-20 inch rainbows...you are SOL in many lakes now.

The government needs to find a way to manage the perch better. Maybe an illegal stocking levy on licenses with money going to netting research. Or maybe a catch and release on browns and stock rainbows larger.

They should start treating these lakes much cheaper then netting research etc. Rotenone isn't cheap but it could be affordable if say they did one lake a year or every couple years. Problem is they have fallen so far behind now they got themselves in a bind with multiple lakes now needing treatment.

Only other solution is to stock predatory fish. Monitoring, netting etc do nothing and just cost money. You know that ;).

MrDave
05-08-2017, 07:56 AM
So I just did some quick math on Strubel lake costs. Since 2009, approximately 158000 trout were stocked. I then multiplied that by $2.50 per fish(based on a local hatchery prices). That came to $395,000 for fish. Only a rough estimate, but wow. Pretty expensive fishery for a pond that repeatedly winter kills.

And that's for a pond most people haven't heard of.

RavYak
05-08-2017, 08:22 AM
So I just did some quick math on Strubel lake costs. Since 2009, approximately 158000 trout were stocked. I then multiplied that by $2.50 per fish(based on a local hatchery prices). That came to $395,000 for fish. Only a rough estimate, but wow. Pretty expensive fishery for a pond that repeatedly winter kills.

And that's for a pond most people haven't heard of.

Must not winter kill hard enough to kill off the perch though?

wags
05-08-2017, 08:33 AM
I don't mean this as an insult, but what are you blathering on about wb? Even Google has no definition for intraspection. Sloppy colouring?? Please speak English when insulting or being rude to someone on this forum.

I do agree with other posters that once perch are in a trout pond, we should do our best to get rid of them. I guess that makes me a poacher. Again.

I think he means introspection - the examination or observation of one's own mental and emotional processes.

I'm sure you understand a small spelling error :)

Cheers

Okotokian
05-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Best quote in this entire thread. Hilarious!
Ninja, that guy owes you an "appoalagy".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_hDGEF2Plzc/Tya4QiV0Q6I/AAAAAAAAAVY/4TcmwhXlack/s1600/pot-kettle-black.jpg

SNAPFisher
05-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Best quote in this entire thread. Hilarious!
Ninja, that guy owes you an "appoalagy".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_hDGEF2Plzc/Tya4QiV0Q6I/AAAAAAAAAVY/4TcmwhXlack/s1600/pot-kettle-black.jpg

:lol:

Bigstone
05-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Rotenone is not even a remote possibility because it would be totally ineffective and impossible to use.

Struble Lake does not winter kill and even if a lake does usually enough perch survive to start over.

Get used to small stunted perch.

The big rainbows mentioned in most cases are the wore out stockers that some people consider fish.

walking buffalo
05-08-2017, 10:52 AM
I think he means introspection - the examination or observation of one's own mental and emotional processes.

I'm sure you understand a small spelling error :)

Cheers

It wasn't a spelling error.... :)
Quite the opposite.
Viewing the big picture rather than a selfie.

Intraspection

All of existence happening at once and forever.

wags
05-08-2017, 11:29 AM
It wasn't a spelling error.... :)
Quite the opposite.
Viewing the big picture rather than a selfie.

Intraspection

All of existence happening at once and forever.

My bad. I don't think Intraspection is a word, but all the power to you mate!

Cheers

MrDave
05-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Must not winter kill hard enough to kill off the perch though?

Hasn't had a killer winter since it was bucket brigaded.

Don Andersen
05-09-2017, 07:07 AM

I like fishing.

Cheers

Brood stock are what you caught in Phyllis and Cow. They are retired from the hatchery. They are not raised to this weight in the lake. Most brood stock die within a short time.

Was out wandering the other day and drive into Beaver lake. Nineteen trucks and cars in the parking lot. Went over to Struble and there was three. Difference - Beaver has some decent fish, 0 limits. Struble has typical 5 limit in trout and 15 on perch. Looks like the public is voting with their feet.

Don

MrDave
05-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Brood stock are what you caught in Phyllis and Cow. They are retired from the hatchery. They are not raised to this weight in the lake. Most brood stock die within a short time.

Was out wandering the other day and drive into Beaver lake. Nineteen trucks and cars in the parking lot. Went over to Struble and there was three. Difference - Beaver has some decent fish, 0 limits. Struble has typical 5 limit in trout and 15 on perch. Looks like the public is voting with their feet.

Don

Maybe people are not wanting to eat fish that taste like swamp water. I know I'm looking forward to perch fishing with my kid. Another thing, is that a person can't fish from shore on Strubel. **** poor shore line, with no thought of foot access

SNAPFisher
05-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Maybe people are not wanting to eat fish that taste like swamp water. I know I'm looking forward to perch fishing with my kid. Another thing, is that a person can't fish from shore on Strubel. **** poor shore line, with no thought of foot access

So what are you advocating for? That it is a good thing that perch were introduced to Strubel?

MrDave
05-09-2017, 09:50 AM
So what are you advocating for? That it is a good thing that perch were introduced to Strubel?

I'm saying instead of complaining, enjoy it. The idiots have dumped the perch in, and they aren't magically disappearing, so eat the dang things. Spend a half million dollars on a fishery that ISN'T ever going to be self sustainable is stupidity. Don't you realize that? Not like the trout get to be trophy size.

What's the saying about life giving you lemons? I for one am tired of my money being spent on trout to feed the birds. Can't imagine what the diet of the Pelicans costs us outdoors people.

wags
05-09-2017, 11:06 AM

Don

I'm aware of what I caught. You said there was no big fish. I'm telling you there is. Now they're not good enough big fish.

When was the last time Cow was stocked with broods? To my understanding, maybe 6 or 7 years ago, but i could most certainly be wrong on that.

Go catch some perch at Strubel, wife says they're lovely to eat.

I caught a beautiful rainbow on the Sheep last year, right inside Okotoks city limits.

I like fishing.

Cheers

SNAPFisher
05-09-2017, 11:12 AM
I'm saying instead of complaining, enjoy it. The idiots have dumped the perch in, and they aren't magically disappearing, so eat the dang things. Spend a half million dollars on a fishery that ISN'T ever going to be self sustainable is stupidity. Don't you realize that? Not like the trout get to be trophy size.

What's the saying about life giving you lemons? I for one am tired of my money being spent on trout to feed the birds. Can't imagine what the diet of the Pelicans costs us outdoors people.

Have fun with that - Struble that is. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I don't know...I guess I'm the eternal optimist.
I wonder how the Manitoba Parkland got started. Maybe some forward thinking people that wanted to make things better at lakes that were considered not sustainable in their current state. I'd like to think Struble has the same potential.

Pierre
05-09-2017, 11:36 AM
I wonder how the Manitoba Parkland got started. Maybe some forward thinking people that wanted to make things better at lakes that were considered not sustainable in their current state. I'd like to think Struble has the same potential.

http://flippr.ca/about-flippr/

FLIPPR is a grassroots volunteer group of Parkland residents, municipalities and business partners whose vision is to create a world class still-water trout fishery for economic and recreational opportunities in the Manitoba Parkland Region. Our goal in the words of our first chairman Robert Sopuck is to develop a necklace of lakes along the west and southern boundaries of Riding Mountain National Park.

History

The evolution of parklands trout fishing is quite interesting. In the 1950’s Manitoba Department of Natural Resources started the first stocking of rainbow trout in Norc Lake southwest of Erickson Manitoba. The lake quickly produced large trout – the first indication of the phenomenal growth rates produced by Parkland waters. The lake winter-killed every 2 to 3 years and the project was abandoned.

In the late 1960’s, scientists from Winnipeg’s Freshwater Institute initiated fisheries research within the Parklands Region. Many waterbodies had no official names so they were designated numbers such as, Lake 14, Lake 17, Lake 400, etc. The objective of the research was to facilitate the development of fish farming as a method of increasing the economic potential of the area. A new type of farming! The research documented the incredible growth rates of trout in the waterbodies. An unnamed lake west of PR270 was home to the first aeration system in the Parklands.

The knowledge generated by the research did not translate into the development of a fish farming industry. Regional residents did not like the table qualities of rich trout flesh, especially when many trout lakes produced a very muddy tasting meal. Citizens much preferred traditional Northern pike, pickerel and perch for their table. Little thought was given to the idea of recreational fishing nor its economic potential.

After the widespread winter-kills of 1988, ’89, and ’90 local fish and wildlife groups thought they would “try” some brown and rainbow trout in these now empty or dead lakes. Perhaps the local proponents were not aware of the hight fertility of these lakes or that the lakes literally swam with some of the largest gammarus scuds (freshwater shrimp) found anywhere. No one anticipated that trout would gain over a kilogram a year during prime growth years. Within 4 years many trout in excess of 27 inches were available. Locally new words became common in the fish folk community; wads swell as silver pigs, shame, and Tokaryk Take.

Word spread rapidly and reinforced the idea of a world class trout fishery was achievable. Local leaders worked with Fisheries Branch staff, and soon were promoting “Big 7” Lakes; Perch, East blue, Gull and Laurie lakes in the Ducks, plus East Goose Spear and Tokaryk within the Parklands. FLIPPR was organized and became a reality in 2000. FLIPPR moved forward and started identifying potential new lakes to broaden the resource base to develop larger economic and recreational opportunities, while strengthening a partnership with Fisheries Branch and local government. While it may be true that few saw and were prepared for the success of the fishery, the results clearly proved that vision was being achieved. Some seven lakes have now been developed, more on the horizon. These lakes, plus those in Duck Mountain Provincial Park, plus lakes others have developed have resulted in ever expanding opportunities for fisherman.

SNAPFisher
05-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Thanks, my question was rhetorical.

Bigstone
05-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Hasn't had a killer winter since it was bucket brigaded.It was "perched" twenty five years ago and has never winter killed that I can remember. Tay is about forty years now.

MrDave
05-10-2017, 08:50 AM
It was "perched" twenty five years ago and has never winter killed that I can remember. Tay is about forty years now.

If it's been that long, what's the problem with keeping the fish? They haven't disappeared. A little late to be whining about it now.
Yup going to enjoy the perch. Sounds like a great thing to me. Doesn't sound like it's going to be crowded.

On the side conversation, small perch because of no predators. We are the predators needed. Catch a few Hun fish each, start remove some and make room to grow.

And as for the question, how do people clean them smaller perch? Same way people clean and cook those tiny trout they put in there.

Okotokian
05-10-2017, 08:59 AM
I get the reasoning for not allowing people to take a fish species that has been stocked illegally. They don't want to reward the bucket brigade and encourage more of it. But I'm wondering if there should be a statute of limitations on the concept. Does it make sense to allow perch, for example, to take over a body of water or dominate it for decades? How about allowing people to take them after, say, ten years. I doubt many bucket brigade types would be looking that far down the road. Just a thought...

Foshizzle13
05-11-2017, 10:32 AM
I don't know. I get that illegal stocking is terrible for our fisheries but after decades of these fish being established why is it so wrong to take a few from it? Sounds like there are too many small perch and not enough large ones, so thin them out a bit.

How are they going to deal with this kind of problem? How are they able to deal with the carp? Is this the same thing?

I really don't think this will encourage more of illegal stocking letting people keep some perch. I've never been but we might go to check this place out. Maybe it will help the trout population. I think we should leave it to the experts on this one on what is best.