PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or not Minn Kota?

Saskieboy
05-06-2017, 02:23 PM
I have a mid 90,s bow mount Minn Kota that works great. I was wondering if upgradeing would be worth it? The replacement I was looking at is a lot of$$$$my boat is only 16.5ft with a 40hp so do I need to blow a lot of $$ for a remote,wireless pedal & spot lock? Will it make that much of difference in performance?

TROLLER
05-07-2017, 09:52 AM
The remote wireless is a great option to have. The anchor lok not too much for me. OK as long as you don't have a big wind. In windy weather they are always correcting so it seems like you are going in circles some days

You might keep your eyes open for a good used 55 with remote. Should be plenty of thrust for your 16 and 12 volt so you do not need 2 or more batteries.

huntsfurfish
05-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Watch for a good used 80lb thrust terrova. I wouldnt go 55.
I love spot lock on my terrova and my motorguide is a lot better.
New terrova(most recent model is supposed to be much better(spot lock)).
If you can swing it, thats what I would go with(make sure most recent model). But will be pricey.
I have 80 on my 16'

edit: Another option would be motorguide Xi5

SNAPFisher
05-07-2017, 09:26 PM
I have a mid 90,s bow mount Minn Kota that works great. I was wondering if upgradeing would be worth it? The replacement I was looking at is a lot of$$$$my boat is only 16.5ft with a 40hp so do I need to blow a lot of $$ for a remote,wireless pedal & spot lock? Will it make that much of difference in performance?

So worth it you will be kicking your own ass that you didn't do it sooner. Huntsforfish covered it. Good luck!

martinbns
05-08-2017, 07:08 PM
I had a Powerdrive V2 and was looking into getting a new head for it with I-Pilot. The more I looked at it I decided to buy the new and improved version Terrova. The spotlock is excellent.

Have only played with it the past two weekends looking for early season bass and pike on Lake of the Woods and spotlock was very helpful. Once I start fishing humps for walleye it will be incredible.