PDA

View Full Version : Hike In Fishing in Jasper

adamlangevin
05-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Looking for a nice hike in the park for a few guys to go up and camp/fish for a few days. 3-4 hours to get in then a few days of back country camping and fishing. Anybody have any recommendations?

EdvinTheKid
05-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Before you fish, make sure you have a National Park Fishing License as it is required to fish in National Parks.

First, we have Valley of Five Lakes which is probably around 1 - 2 hours of a hike from the parking area. Basically what I believe is that there are like 5 lakes (hence the name) and you can fish from either 5 of these lakes. You can find Pike, Trout, and Mountain Whitefish. (These lakes are closed until May 21st though)

Second, there is Annette Lake which is 30 minutes to 1 and a half hours. You can find Pike, Mountain Whitefish, and Trout. (This lake is also closed until the 21st)

Third, we have Lake Edith which is truly a beautiful lake. This lake houses the same species of fish as listed above and its not that far from Lake Anette. However this lake opens up in July.

And then if you really dont want to fish a lake.. I guess you could try out the rivers that run through the Park.. I dont know what the rules on that are though.

However, If I were you, there are lots of information centers around Jasper and if you ask around people will surely provide answers. Also, when you buy your license, im pretty sure you get a map and book that list all the rules and stuff like that.

Happy Fishing :)

idaman
05-08-2017, 07:49 PM
Hike in through the park to Fortess lake. Definitely top 3 Brook trout lakes in Canada.

smitty9
05-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Hike in through the park to Fortess lake. Definitely top 3 Brook trout lakes in Canada.

But let's be clear, that's not an easy 3-4 hour hike. And, please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bridge over the Athabasca washed out?

idaman
05-08-2017, 09:31 PM
But let's be clear, that's not an easy 3-4 hour hike. And, please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the bridge over the Athabasca washed out?

20ish km no serious elevation changes, yes the bridge over the Athabasca is out ...the Chaba is usually more of a challenge to cross than the Athabasca. Worth the little bit extra time.

McLeod
05-09-2017, 09:06 AM
[QUOTE=EdvinTheKid;3535381]Before you fish, make sure you have a National Park Fishing License as it is required to fish in National Parks.

First, we have Valley of Five Lakes which is probably around 1 - 2 hours of a hike from the parking area. Basically what I believe is that there are like 5 lakes (hence the name) and you can fish from either 5 of these lakes. You can find Pike, Trout, and Mountain Whitefish. (These lakes are closed until May 21st though)

No Pike , No Whitefish and only Brookies in the 5th lake

Second, there is Annette Lake which is 30 minutes to 1 and a half hours. You can find Pike, Mountain Whitefish, and Trout. (This lake is also closed until the 21st) Nope..None of the above

Third, we have Lake Edith which is truly a beautiful lake. This lake houses the same species of fish as listed above and its not that far from Lake Anette. However this lake opens up in July.

Nope..No fish in Edith

McLeod
05-09-2017, 09:08 AM
What you are asking for really doesn't exist in Jasper.
The closest thing to would to take a boat up Maligne and camp and fish.

Big Bull
05-09-2017, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=EdvinTheKid;3535381]
Nope..No fish in Edith
:)

Big Bull
05-09-2017, 11:14 AM
Looking for a nice hike in the park for a few guys to go up and camp/fish for a few days. 3-4 hours to get in then a few days of back country camping and fishing. Anybody have any recommendations?

Look into the Tonquin Valley. Excellent rainbow and brook trout fishing, although the ice does not come off the lake until sometime in July. You should be able to rent row boats from one of the two outfitters on Amethyst Lake. Hike is around 25km from Mount Edith Cavell parking lot - about 5 hours hike.
http://www.tonquinadventures.com/index.html

McLeod
05-09-2017, 12:16 PM
Look into the Tonquin Valley. Excellent rainbow and brook trout fishing, although the ice does not come off the lake until sometime in July. You should be able to rent row boats from one of the two outfitters on Amethyst Lake. Hike is around 25km from Mount Edith Cavell parking lot - about 5 hours hike.
http://www.tonquinadventures.com/index.html

Don't give away my secret spots ! Lol:)