PDA

View Full Version : Alaska/Anchorage area fishing

sather19
05-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Hi Everyone,

I will be doing a trip to Alaska and meeting a friend in Anchorage at the start of July. I understand we may have a chance at some kings in the rivers depending on timing of the run. Looking for any info anyone has first hand at fishing the area. Also suggestions on a charter for a full day salmon/halibut trip.

Any suggestions for sight seeing and things as well.

All info is appreciated!

Thanks

arrow dog
05-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Have been to Anchorage a few times and fished from shore in a lawn chair at Ship's Creek inlet. Lots of locals there and they're really great for helping you out with the right gear. It's near the railroad yard.
Always went to Homer for any fishing as the guides there are great. You might want to check to see who is available as the Americans can come up and fish real cheap now so they tend to book up.
Wildlife Rehab Center near the junction to Whittier and Seward is worth the visit. Baby moose and musk ox; grizzlies; black bears; all up close and personal.
Really good museum in Anchorage too. Go to the tourist info booth on main street and they'll set you up with all kinds of pamphlets on things to do.
Give me a shout if you need more info.:)

deschambault
05-11-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure about Anchorage but the Taku run which enters at Juneau is basically shut down for lack of returning fish. It was also closed last year.