PDA

View Full Version : Walleye draw points

Waterfowler vmax
05-09-2017, 05:35 AM
I didn't get any points for my walleye draws yesterday and wasn't awarded and tags either. Also noticed I didn't receive any for my big game draws last year. Any idear why this would be? Thanks

Vmax

DiabeticKripple
05-09-2017, 06:05 AM
did you look you your priority history? mine shows an increase after not getting drawn

Waterfowler vmax
05-09-2017, 06:41 AM
did you look you your priority history? mine shows an increase after not getting drawn

Boom there it is. Not too familiar with this whole draw priority things, first year big game hunting and fishing in the province last year. Thanks

Vmax

Walleye101
05-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Complete cash grab in my opinion. You pay for the chance to get drawn and then you don't get drawn is frustrating. Same thing happened to me. I can tell you that I wont be wasting money like this ever again. We pay enough damn taxes to this joke government. I have a few Perch lakes that I will thoroughly enjoy limiting out on this season. Fire up the fryer and get the potatoes and onions chopped!

EZM
05-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Complete cash grab in my opinion. You pay for the chance to get drawn and then you don't get drawn is frustrating. Same thing happened to me. I can tell you that I wont be wasting money like this ever again. We pay enough damn taxes to this joke government. I have a few Perch lakes that I will thoroughly enjoy limiting out on this season. Fire up the fryer and get the potatoes and onions chopped!

Yup .... a big $ 3.52 spilt between the group that applies. For the 4 of us - that was almost a whole dollar each !!!!

huntsfurfish
05-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Yup .... a big $ 3.52 spilt between the group that applies. For the 4 of us - that was almost a whole dollar each !!!!

Yup. I gotta find a couple more guys to split with. Only 2 of us to split this year.
Oh the horror.:angry3: almost 2 bucks each.

:)

huntsfurfish
05-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Yay, more for us.

And, you do realize this gubmint wasnt the gubmint that started the draw system.:sHa_shakeshout:

hal53
05-09-2017, 08:40 PM
Yay, more for us.

And, you do realize this gubmint wasnt the gubmint that started the draw system.:sHa_shakeshout:
and the draw application fee doesn't go to the Government

Walleye101
05-09-2017, 08:41 PM
I realize that. But they do have the power to nix this garbage, but they won't because it's easy money.

huntsfurfish
05-09-2017, 08:57 PM
I realize that. But they do have the power to nix this garbage, but they won't because it's easy money.

See post above yours.

He is correct. You are not.:)

Wes_G
05-09-2017, 10:51 PM

That's why it's called a draw. I don't know of to many draws where every name gets drawn. The whole point of the draw system is to control the harvest so popular lakes do not get over fished, if they just gave tags to everyone who applied, that kind of defeats the purpose. Also see your second last sentence as to why lakes end up having to go to draws in the first place.

mickeyjim
05-10-2017, 07:49 AM
If they put the lakes on a draw system because walleye populations were low, would it not make sense to use the money from people entering the draw to stock that lake with walleye? It's even lake specific, so the lakes with the most applicants would get the most fish. Just a thought

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

waterninja
05-10-2017, 08:37 AM
If they put the lakes on a draw system because walleye populations were low, would it not make sense to use the money from people entering the draw to stock that lake with walleye? It's even lake specific, so the lakes with the most applicants would get the most fish. Just a thought

You poor naive fellow. Suggesting something that is actually reasonable and logical? I predict a life of frustration for you if you don't start thinking like most of the people around you, or just sit back and enjoy the circus. Clear thinking and sound suggestions not welcome in the world we live in.

lol

Kim473
05-10-2017, 11:35 AM
What are the points ? I got drawer and still got points.

huntsfurfish
05-10-2017, 11:45 AM

You poor naive fellow. Suggesting something that is actually reasonable and logical? I predict a life of frustration for you if you don't start thinking like most of the people around you, or just sit back and enjoy the circus. Clear thinking and sound suggestions not welcome in the world we live in.

lol

Lakes are not put on draw system because walleye populations are low. They are put on to manage what is taken out.

Why would they stock a lake they are already managing? Already has plenty of walleye and likely very good recruitment.

The money for entering the Draw goes to the service provider, Government doesnt get it. Money, if any from actual licence would be far short of what is needed.
Wouldnt money be better spent on a water body that actually needed it?

Waterninja you poor naive fellow, suggesting something that is neither reasonable or logical. I wont comment on the clear thinking and sound suggestions. And I will leave it at that.:)

SNAPFisher
05-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Yay, more for us.

x2

Boy the misinformation on the draw system sure gets old. Good job on the providing the info gents :)

yetiseeker
05-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Does anyone understand the points and how they factor into odds of getting drawn?

After reading the replies on this thread - I'm still confused. Like many threads, this one seems to have gotten derailed.

Can someone explain the system??? Here's hoping to understand better........

RayL42
05-10-2017, 02:54 PM
http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/walleye-draws/documents/2016-SpecialLicenceWalleyeSummary-Jul2016.pdf

The link above is the draw 2016 summary report, which indicates the percentage of each priority got drawn for each draw code.

huntsfurfish
05-10-2017, 06:12 PM
http://mywildalberta.com/fishing/walleye-draws/documents/2016-SpecialLicenceWalleyeSummary-Jul2016.pdf

The link above is the draw 2016 summary report, which indicates the percentage of each priority got drawn for each draw code.

Good post RayL42.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/

Look at walleye draw brochure. Under Draw Priority pretty much explains it.
Basically go up one every year not drawn. Get drawn and start at 0 again.

idaman
05-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Good post RayL42.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/

Look at walleye draw brochure. Under Draw Priority pretty much explains it.
Basically go up one every year not drawn. Get drawn and start at 0 again.

I've never been above a priority 0 and been drawn every single year, except last because I didn't bother to put in.

mickeyjim
05-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Lakes are not put on draw system because walleye populations are low. They are put on to manage what is taken out.

Why would they stock a lake they are already managing? Already has plenty of walleye and likely very good recruitment.

The money for entering the Draw goes to the service provider, Government doesnt get it. Money, if any from actual licence would be far short of what is needed.
Wouldnt money be better spent on a water body that actually needed it?

Waterninja you poor naive fellow, suggesting something that is neither reasonable or logical. I wont comment on the clear thinking and sound suggestions. And I will leave it at that.:)
Why is Alberta the only place in North America to do this?

huntsfurfish
05-10-2017, 10:56 PM

Why do we have draws for hunting? To manage the resource. Same for fishing.

Another management tool.

Why is Alberta the Only place that doesnt have a lot of water?:)

mickeyjim
05-10-2017, 11:20 PM
Why do we have draws for hunting? To manage the resource. Same for fishing.

Another management tool.

Why is Alberta the Only place that doesnt have a lot of water?:)

https://gfapps.nd.gov/reports/fisheries/FishStockingMajorWaters.pdf

http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/tacklebox/docs/2015FishStockingReport.pdf

http://fwp.mt.gov/fip/plants/plant_input.action

Guess we aren't the only place....

huntsfurfish
05-10-2017, 11:39 PM
https://gfapps.nd.gov/reports/fisheries/FishStockingMajorWaters.pdf

http://gfp.sd.gov/fishing-boating/tacklebox/docs/2015FishStockingReport.pdf

http://fwp.mt.gov/fip/plants/plant_input.action

Guess we aren't the only place....

Do they use draw system too?

yetiseeker
05-11-2017, 08:13 AM
Thanks fellas - I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this whole thing.....

Here's what I understand - or think I understand at least;

Each year that we purchase a draw, we are allocated one point for each class if not drawn. Once drawn, the points automatically reset to zero priority.

Getting drawn for a lake will depend upon two factors - first, our individual priority as compared with other anglers submitting for the same lake. Second, the number of anglers who have entered the draw, and really compete against those applicants based on each persons draw priority. If I'm going up against people with a higher priority than me, I lose out. Now, if there are still tags available when those having higher priority than me have been filled, then I compete with people who have the same priority and essentially go into a pool and get drawn based on luck - again odds dependent upon number of applicants and tags remaining to be issued.

If we enter a group, then the tags are drawn based on the lowest persons priority listing. In this scenario, it's more likely that you lose in the lottery, but is cheaper to enter. With this said, if you want to gain priority ranking, this would be the cheapest way to do so.

From what RayL42 posted - the 2016 draw results, I see that people having priority of 4 or above almost are a shoe in to get drawn. I also see that almost everyone that had a priority of 2 or greater, had a 100% chance of being drawn. That tells me that it may not be the best decision to hold priorities as when drawn for that class, it automatically resets to zero. Better to use them when a 3 priority for sure, and most likely when you have a 2 listing.

So - that's how I've made sense of it all.

Anyone disagree with the above, or have insights to better educate me - appreciated?

Thanks

mickeyjim
05-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Do they use draw system too?
Highly doubt it

huntsfurfish
05-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks fellas - I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this whole thing.....

Each year that we purchase a draw, we are allocated one point for each class if not drawn. Once drawn, the points automatically reset to zero priority.

Getting drawn for a lake will depend upon two factors - first, our individual priority as compared with other anglers submitting for the same lake. Second, the number of anglers who have entered the draw, and really compete against those applicants based on each persons draw priority. If I'm going up against people with a higher priority than me, I lose out. Now, if there are still tags available when those having higher priority than me have been filled, then I compete with people who have the same priority and essentially go into a pool and get drawn based on luck - again odds dependent upon number of applicants and tags remaining to be issued.

If we enter a group, then the tags are drawn based on the lowest persons priority listing. In this scenario, it's more likely that you lose in the lottery, but is cheaper to enter. With this said, if you want to gain priority ranking, this would be the cheapest way to do so.

From what RayL42 posted - the 2016 draw results, I see that people having priority of 4 or above almost are a shoe in to get drawn. I also see that almost everyone that had a priority of 2 or greater, had a 100% chance of being drawn. That tells me that it may not be the best decision to hold priorities as when drawn for that class, it automatically resets to zero. Better to use them when a 3 priority for sure, and most likely when you have a 2 listing.

Anyone disagree with the above, or have insights to better educate me - appreciated?

Thanks

Sounds like you nailed it.

huntsfurfish
05-11-2017, 11:52 AM
Highly doubt it

K, So what was your point with the pdfs?

mickeyjim
05-11-2017, 11:57 AM
They are fish stocking reports from comparable geographic regions in the States

genno
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM

Thanks

I had 0 priority and still got gull class A tags as well as my spouse so who knows maybe it's just luck or how close you live to the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes_G
05-11-2017, 05:14 PM

That's not true... B.C. has something similar with a many of there steelhead waters and now many of the rivers in the East Kootenays. Only there draw system is for the chance just to fish many of these primer waters, which you don't actually get to keep anything from!! At least with these Alberta lakes you can still go fishing even if you don't get drawn to keep!

huntsfurfish
05-11-2017, 06:29 PM
They are fish stocking reports from comparable geographic regions in the States

Not really comparable when when you look at how much farther North Alberta is. But I will say this. Alberta is almost the size of those 3 States combined. At best you could compare the lower third of AB. Still much further north then those States though.

About 600 water bodies (though I have heard numbers by some in about 660) in Alberta. Only have the numbers for ND and it runs about 420 by it self.
Much of Alberta's water is in the North and hard to access. Not so with the States(ND, SD, and MT).
Those 3 States have some pretty awesome Reservoirs, Fort Peck, Lake Sakakawea, Lake Oahe, Lake Sharpe, Francis Case and Lewis and Clarke. Not to mention Devils lake and others.
Any one of those Missouri River Reservoirs has more water/fish then pretty much Red Deer South.

Populations is bout 4 million in AB vs about 3 Million in all 3 of those states.

Being further south has advantages as well. Longer growing season as an example. Having some large relatively shallow bowl lakes doesn't hurt either.
Sorry, I had the numbers from the other States but cant find them at the moment

Best comparison might be Saskatchewan and even there its about 600 vs 6000. With population about 4 to 1 as well.
Alberta is quite unique and regs/ideas from other places may not be a good option here especially with the low budgets.

Hope this helps a bit.

Edit: And to the OP, sorry for a bit of a derail.

Walleye101
05-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Its' fixed.