PDA

View Full Version : Newell Lake

Pig Slayer
05-09-2017, 06:38 AM
Planning on hitting up Newell lake here shortly. Just wondering if anyone has been out there yet. I'm guessing all the ice is off the lake also? Had some second thoughts seeing some of the pictures of the northern lakes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple
05-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Planning on hitting up Newell lake here shortly. Just wondering if anyone has been out there yet. I'm guessing all the ice is off the lake also? Had some second thoughts seeing some of the pictures of the northern lakes.

southern lakes have been ice free for a few weeks now

Pig Slayer
05-09-2017, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the update, just did not want to burn a bunch of fuel to be really disappointed.

walley
05-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Was there yesterday, buddy and I caught 13 eyes, bunch of pike. Bugs were absolutely horrible! Cleaned the boat tonight

The Fisherman Guy
05-10-2017, 09:51 PM
Found 60deg water on Newell yesterday.

kouleerunner
05-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Found 60deg water on Newell yesterday.

Wow, that's pretty early for 60. Were the fish more active in the warmer water?

rena0040
05-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Was there yesterday, buddy and I caught 13 eyes, bunch of pike. Bugs were absolutely horrible! Cleaned the boat tonight

I was gonna camp there this weekend:budo:

Bear7001
05-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Was out today and caught 25 nice pike. Sadly there was a trio of guys in one boat that caught a monster pike. Over 30lbs for sure and they kept it.

The Fisherman Guy
05-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Sadly they kept it.

Did you report it?

Pike retention in Newell is 0 and has been for several years now.

Sadly, too many people witness blatant poaching and do nothing about it.

Jigger
05-14-2017, 09:44 PM
Was out today and caught 25 nice pike. Sadly there was a trio of guys in one boat that caught a monster pike. Over 30lbs for sure and they kept it.

Wow stories like this make my blood boil. Really hoping you or someone else called RAP on these scumbags.:angry3:

Chirka
05-15-2017, 12:02 AM
Me and a buddy went there the past week and stayed 3 days in Brooks.
All I'll say is that it was ice free and pure glass for 3 days straight.
Also the fishing is hot if you know where to go and what to do, do your research based on the time of year / water temp / structure and water clarity and I am sure you will find out what spot you should be in at this time of year.
But if you don't and are wrong you won't catch fuggall.
I managed to hook into a ~10 lb horse of a walleye and buddy caught a 15 lb pike before we ran out of time, but would have stayed longer for sure.

Can confirm, bugs are horrible. Bring about a zillion gallons of off.

Have fun man! fire up the google and giver.
Please pinch your barbs!
:)

Bear7001
05-15-2017, 11:50 AM
Did you report it?

Pike retention in Newell is 0 and has been for several years now.

Sadly, too many people witness blatant poaching and do nothing about it.

Of course but one of the guys fishing was native. Disgusting that they can still pull out a big one like that.

Who Da Fisherman
05-15-2017, 12:54 PM
This has been hashed over before, if they are status and fishing by rod & reel they need to follow the regulations as you and I do.
Next time report it.
WDF

Lowrance Fishburn
05-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Of course but one of the guys fishing was native. Disgusting that they can still pull out a big one like that.

Poaching is poaching. 100% should have reported. Maybe you still should if you know more details - what type of boat etc etc

Bear7001
05-15-2017, 01:10 PM
This has been hashed over before, if they are status and fishing by rod & reel they need to follow the regulations as you and I do.
Next time report it.
WDF

I did report it. Makes me mad to. Not much else you can do other then sink them.

dutchpirate
05-15-2017, 01:34 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/MK46_torpedo_launch.jpg

Bear7001
05-15-2017, 07:39 PM
It's hard to watch without getting into a fight in the middle of the lake. Some people are just ignorant twats. They knew what they were doing. Wasted no time getting off the lake once it was in the boat.

pinelakeperch
05-15-2017, 11:16 PM
20lb pike at the headgates today at my feet. Got my boots soaked walking into the water to grab her, and she darted off and broke my line. If anyone catches a big old girl with a perch coloured marabou jig, it's mine!

pikeman06
05-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Ya that's no good. Guys whacking a 30lb jack like that. I hate the way our fisheries are managed and keep the odd big jack in other waters because I like to eat them and that's all I am allowed to keep in many lakes which is wrong but I always play by the rules or don't even fish those lakes with zero retention which is what I think certain rule makers are hoping for. Just make it so no one even bothers but that's when the poachers go nuts I find.

dennisb
05-18-2017, 12:45 PM
Hows the new boat launch at Kinbrook? is there a new dock of some sort to go along with the new ramps?

walley
05-19-2017, 10:16 PM
Was there today, the new pads and dock are fantastic! Long overdue, I think that they got it right.

graybeard
05-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Was there today, the new pads and dock are fantastic! Long overdue, I think that they got it right.

X2
I was there yesterday....caught a lot of pike and no walleyes.....Everything was released for you to now catch..... lol.

It was a great day and the lake was flat and quiet with maybe 5 other boats on it.

On our way out was different, as all the long weekend folks were steaming in....

Koo dos for the park managers as the facilities were in mint condition and clean.

Raptor Boy
05-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Anyone try Newell out yet

kouleerunner
05-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Anyone try Newell out yet

Went there today, was slllooooowwww. Good fishing on the North end, caught ba really nice 70cm walleye, quite a few slew sharks, 5-10lb range. Lake was like Glass for most of the day. Trolling was unsuccessful, jigging was the ticket!

Quite a few boats out, didn't see much action on them for fish.

Boat launch was upgraded with a larger break, well protected, dock wasn't out yet, getting into the boat required beaching it.

Overall, great day on the water, would have been better with a few more green backs!

HappyShootMore
05-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Went there today, was slllooooowwww. Good fishing on the North end, caught ba really nice 70cm walleye, quite a few slew sharks, 5-10lb range. Lake was like Glass for most of the day. Trolling was unsuccessful, jigging was the ticket!

Quite a few boats out, didn't see much action on them for fish.

Boat launch was upgraded with a larger break, well protected, dock wasn't out yet, getting into the boat required beaching it.

Overall, great day on the water, would have been better with a few more green backs!

Drift jigging worked best for me. Bladin' and plugs only produced 2 3lbs pikes.
Lots of boats out there for sure.

chucklesthe3rd
06-02-2018, 10:11 PM
whites are bitting good. walleye fishing was slow... 3 walleye and 5 pike. was using small bucktails for whites and used spoons and grub tails for the pike and walleye