PDA

View Full Version : Something wrong with my bait caster?

FrickinChicken
05-09-2017, 12:12 PM
I hooked a decent sized trout the other day and I couldn't reel it in. I have 12lb mono and my drag set to the point where If i set it any higher I fear it might break. The drag was also high enough that I couldn't pull the line out by hand without it digging into my hands and hurting. Everyone I've talked to says I should easily be able to reel it in. When I tried, the spool was synced up with the fish and would go nowhere. I would reel and it would just slip. Is this a problem with my baitcaster?

Thanks!

Lowrance Fishburn
05-09-2017, 12:28 PM
It will take some time before you are truly a master baitcaster...

EZM
05-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Not sure what brand and model you may have - but your drag isn't likely the culprit if your spool is slipping while you are reeling in. Most bait casters (at least level wind models) have a spool tension knob or screw that is likely to be your issue.

This is, of course, assuming your line isn't slipping around the arbour. You should always run some tape or at least a few feet of backing to start any spool.

fish99
05-10-2017, 08:49 PM
probable a quantum reel, mine did the same thing, junk reels after a few years of catching big fish.

RavYak
05-10-2017, 10:52 PM
Only 2 things I can think of that would cause you not to be able to reel in.

1) Line is spinning on spool. You say you couldn't pull the line out by hand so that writes this option off though.

2) Your gears are pooched or not lined up for some reason. This should be noticeable all the time though.

waterninja
05-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Baitcasters are a total waste of money. There is nothing a baitcaster can do that an open faced spinning reel can't. I've used them all and baitcasters are the worst. Wait till they fail you in severe cold ice fishing.
Friends don't let friends buy a baitcaster. I'm surprised they still make and sell them.
Yeh, maybe your gears are out of synch. LOL You shouldn't need a degree in engineering to cast a line.
Is it a rats nest, or a mare's snare? I keep forgetting.

Talking moose
05-11-2017, 12:59 AM
Bait casters are great. I agree sounds like gears are slipping.

waterninja
05-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Bait casters are great. I agree sounds like gears are slipping.
TM, do you know where I can get a good deal on a typewriter?

Talking moose
05-11-2017, 01:43 AM
TM, do you know where I can get a good deal on a typewriter?

Yes I do. Ever wonder why 100% of professional bass fisherman flipping top waters or a worm harness go with baitcasters?

RavYak
05-11-2017, 07:07 AM
Baitcasters are a total waste of money. There is nothing a baitcaster can do that an open faced spinning reel can't. I've used them all and baitcasters are the worst. Wait till they fail you in severe cold ice fishing.
Friends don't let friends buy a baitcaster. I'm surprised they still make and sell them.
Yeh, maybe your gears are out of synch. LOL You shouldn't need a degree in engineering to cast a line.
Is it a rats nest, or a mare's snare? I keep forgetting.

You obviously don't know much about baitcasters.

Good ones are easy to use and can do a lot of things spinning reels can't making them superior for multiple situations.

Problem is most people buy the cheap ones and then think they are all garbage when they can't fine tune the brake settings properly.

It has been years since I have had a bad rats nest.

338 Rules
05-11-2017, 07:39 AM
Problem is most people buy the cheap ones and then think they are all garbage when they can't fine tune the brake settings properly.

I really like my Penn 320 LD, especially for fishing salmon from shore and for sturgeon. I have to agree that quality is the way to go for sure!

SamSteele
05-11-2017, 07:46 AM
It takes a bit to figure out a baitcaster, particularly the role of the cast control knob. Care to share the make and model? That might help with the advice.

SS

waterninja
05-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Yes I do. Ever wonder why 100% of professional bass fisherman flipping top waters or a worm harness go with baitcasters?
Have to say I expected a much stronger condemnation of my post. I am quite profecient with a Baitcaster, and know how to set one up depending on the line and lure I'm using. That said, I don't use them, wouldn't buy another and would not recommend one to new fishermen. Sure The professionals use them to "FLIP" for bass and Crappie. They are being paid to promote that gear that they get for free. Please name a few alberta lakes where you can flip for bass and crappie? I'll get good results with my spinning reel at same location.
You can spend your hard earned money on what ever gear you like, but expieriance and research has convinced me to leave the baitcasters on the store shelf.
I'ts like watching a well meaning parent buy their young child one of those plastic Barbie or Batman fishing rod combo's. You know they are going to have nothing but grief the first time they use them, and the rod will end up in the garbage bin by the trout pond.
I really don't see the need for a baitcaster in Alberta waters, not because I can't use one, but because spinning reels are far more superior and versatile. Just my own opinion of course. If your happy with your baitcaster then thats great.

Talking moose
05-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Here's a pretty good summary of baitcasters/spinnning for those interested.

spinning pros: lighter lures, lighter line applications. Cons:larger reels vs bait casters. heavier reels, less line capacity, less control(flipping/pitching), line twist.

Baitcaster pros: less weight, more line capacity, better control (flip/pitch), heavier drag, more options(gear ratio), less line twist, manages heavier lines better, handles heavy lures with a smaller sized reel vs spinning.

Cons: Doesn't handle lighter lures very well, not very good with light lines (under 6lb test), harder to learn to cast,

waterninja
05-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Here's a pretty good summary of baitcasters/spinnning for those interested.

spinning pros: lighter lures, lighter line applications. Cons:larger reels vs bait casters. heavier reels, less line capacity, less control(flipping/pitching), line twist.

Baitcaster pros: less weight, more line capacity, better control (flip/pitch), heavier drag, more options(gear ratio), less line twist, manages heavier lines better, handles heavy lures with a smaller sized reel vs spinning.

Cons: Doesn't handle lighter lures very well, not very good with light lines (under 6lb test), harder to learn to cast,
Have to respectfully disagree about the line capacity and drag cabability. We are not talking about the big baitcasters that are bassically used for trolling.

DiabeticKripple
05-11-2017, 10:20 AM
I like my bait caster for ice fishing. Makes a more compact combo.

As far as casting, I feel like I can cast further with a spinning rod, but if I'm not going for distance, I'd prefer the baitcaster.

Bushleague
05-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Have to respectfully disagree about the line capacity and drag cabability. We are not talking about the big baitcasters that are bassically used for trolling.

I'll agree with this, the attributes commonly cited to bait casters were completely true of my Abu Garcia Ambasadeurs, but very few of them were true of the low profile bait casters I have owned.

In regards to the low profile bait casters, I have not found them to be particularly durable, their drags haven't been noticeable better than a good spinning reel, and they don't hold more line.

If you know how to feather a spinning reel it will cast just as accurately as a baitcaster, though the technique is a little tougher to learn, so I'll go ahead and say that the bait caster has an edge there. The main benefit as I see it is the cranking power. A spinning reel with the drag set at 8 lbs will probably only exert about 4 lbs of force when cranking, a baitcaster will crank much closer to the drag setting... and that's probably why the bass pro's use them, for winching bass out of cover and into the live well as quickly as possible. This is not really a concern for me so after several years of using baitcasters exclusively I've decided that the bass pro's can keep em'.

Bushleague
05-11-2017, 10:57 AM
I like my bait caster for ice fishing. Makes a more compact combo.

As far as casting, I feel like I can cast further with a spinning rod, but if I'm not going for distance, I'd prefer the baitcaster.

I did like using baitcasters for icefishing for the reason you stated... until you clog the level wind eyelet up with ice over and over again...

If somebody made one specifically for ice fishing, smallish reel, oversized eye on the level wind mechanism or even no level wind at all like a saltwater conventional, and most importantly a bait clicker I'd be all over that!

huntsfurfish
05-11-2017, 11:26 AM
What I have found is that most of the people that strongly criticize BC's cant use em.:)
:argue2:

Sorry Rav, while quality and price may be a factor, low end models are not bad either. And most low end models cast fine. Tangles is result of operator error.:)

Commander B
05-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Bush Check out Fish13 Blackbetty Reels . I have 6160's from a couple years ago and they are great. The smallest perch lure will free fall with no resistance. The new generation and the Free Fall line looks amazing. I have even used them in summer for drop shotting. Just remember they come left and right handed.

B.

Bushleague
05-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Bush Check out Fish13 Blackbetty Reels . I have 6160's from a couple years ago and they are great. The smallest perch lure will free fall with no resistance. The new generation and the Free Fall line looks amazing. I have even used them in summer for drop shotting. Just remember they come left and right handed.

B.

Does it have a bait clicker?

Commander B
05-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Yes you can switch it on or off. The drag system is above expectations as well .

B.

Bushleague
05-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Yes you can switch it on or off. The drag system is above expectations as well .

B.

where did you get yours?

Commander B
05-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Sorry 6061 is model #

B.

JohninAB
05-11-2017, 12:52 PM
I switched to baitcasters around 5 years ago and love them. My preferred go to reel.

Still use spinning if jigging or throwing a light lure.

For ice fishing, I use Straight line reels like the Frabill 371. No matter how light the lure is it falls freely and no twist in your line. Seldom use my Shimano ice fishing spinning reels anymore. Buy the Frabills at Cabelas, Bass Pro or the Fishin Hole.

As for the OP's question, not much to add to the previous responses.

Bushleague
05-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Sorry 6061 is model #

B.

Nice looking reel, just wondering what kind of line capacity they have, as it isn't listed? Could I run 10-15 lb mono on one of those things or is it better suited to smaller diameter lines?

Commander B
05-11-2017, 03:08 PM
I ordered thru the fishinghole. I use 6 lb mono and it will take most of a 150yrd spool

B.

RavYak
05-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Advantages of low profile baitcasting reels.

1) No line twist issues.

2) Accuracy, I find just because of the different motions used for casting they are more accurate. Plus you have the ability to easily feather or thumb the spool if your lure is approaching or going to overshoot target.

3) What I consider an easier casting motion. No flipping of bail, then manually flipping bail back and making sure line is sitting right. Just click the button let her rip and thumb the spool at the end of the cast.

4) Thumbing the spool. I do this all the time. I like to leave my drag on the looser side but if I hook into a big fish I can thumb the spool and then crank up the drag.

5) Downrigging. When letting out a lot of line while lowering ball spinning reels are a big pain. With the baitcaster you just let her go and thumb the spool lightly.

6) Similarly there is an advantage when using bottom bouncers or any other trolling lure. If you want to let a bit more line out you just give her a click and let a bit out without ever losing contact with your lure(with spinning gear there is a moment of loose line).

I use baitcasters for all my pike fishing. All my laker trolling and often my walleye trolling. You couldn't convince me to use spinning gear for these applications if you tried.

What I have found is that most of the people that strongly criticize BC's cant use em.:)

Sorry Rav, while quality and price may be a factor, low end models are not bad either. And most low end models cast fine. Tangles is result of operator error.:)

You can't even try to tell me that my Pflueger Echelon and Quantum Aztec cast as fine as my Curados... Cause they don't...

The higher up you go the more adjustable the brake systems are and the more precise they are allowing you easier control and the capability to use baitcasters in situations which they are less ideal for. That primarily being using lighter lures(spinning reels biggest advantage and about the only reason I use them).

calgarygringo
05-11-2017, 09:39 PM
I use my Quantum Tour bait caster for a great part of my fishing and have for several years. I do have a nice spin cast as well I use mostly for jigging but prefer a bait caster for many of the reasons mentioned in the thread. When I was in the fishing business I used to warn people about learning how to use it before judging and the ones that said they were crap I basically told them they didn't know how to use it. After some tips most returned to say they have it figured out and enjoy it. Trolling, bottom bouncing and casting lures and plugs they are great.
If you don't know how to use one talk to someone that does, go to YouTube and learn how. Price point is not as important as knowing how to use it.
Saying all that don't be afraid to spend a few bucks and get something decent. You don't have to spend 3 or 4 hundred like I have above but a good quality reel will make your fishing much more enjoyable experience.

huntsfurfish
05-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Sorry Rav, I stand by what I said. I've got lots of upper end, low profile reels mostly from the 80's and 90's, many are collectable 521,522, XLT's, 1022's 823's Pro Max's, Gold Max, Tornos etc. My preference are Abu Garcia and also have quite a number of the 4600, 5500, 5600, 6500 and 6600 bait casters as well. Also have some daiwa and shimano.
The low end reels I do have cast just fine.
So yes, I know a little about BC's

One of the reels I learned bait casting on was with a South Bend Smooth Cast Direct Drive Model 785M which is older than you.:);)
It doesnt have magnetic braking and even it casts well. Hell, it doesnt even have a drag on it. Lol

If a person has the money to spend on a $200.00 or even $500.00 reel, well fill your boots. Just saying low end reels cast just fine. You still have to know how.

What I said:
"Sorry Rav, while quality and price may be a factor, low end models are not bad either. And most low end models cast fine. Tangles are the result of operator error."

Talking moose
05-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Sorry Rav, I stand by what I said. I've got lots of upper end, low profile reels mostly from the 80's and 90's, many are collectable 521,522, XLT's, 1022's 823's Pro Max's, Gold Max, Tornos etc. My preference are Abu Garcia and also have quite a number of the 4600, 5500, 5600, 6500 and 6600 bait casters as well. Also have some daiwa and shimano.

One of the reels I learned bait casting on was with a South Bend Smooth Cast Direct Drive Model 785M which is older than you.:);)
It doesnt have magnetic braking and even it casts well. Hell, it doesnt even have a drag on it. Lol

If a person has the money to spend on a $200.00 or even $500.00 reel, well fill your boots. Just saying low end reels cast just fine. You still have to know how.

What I said:
"Sorry Rav, while quality and price may be a factor, low end models are not bad either. And most low end models cast fine. Tangles are the result of operator error."

You've got more bait casters than I've got spin, baitcasters, ice rods and tip ups combined!!!!

huntsfurfish
05-11-2017, 11:48 PM
You've got more bait casters than I've got spin, baitcasters, ice rods and tip ups combined!!!!

If you only new.:);)

Omg, I really am a tackle junky.

edit:)yes it is a sickness.:thinking-006:

waterninja
05-12-2017, 12:08 AM
Very civilised thread guy/gals. Lets take it a step further. If you were adviseing a new fisherman on the types of rods and reels he should buy to take his family out for an enjoyable day or weekend, would a baitcaster be on your list of things to buy? Straight UP?

Talking moose
05-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Very civilised thread guy/gals. Lets take it a step further. If you were adviseing a new fisherman on the types of rods and reels he should buy to take his family out for an enjoyable day or weekend, would a baitcaster be on your list of things to buy? Straight UP?

If I was taking a family of noobs out for one weekend I would bring a spin cast (not a spinning reel...)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/2f88eacc9a6987337e477f2774039a02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking moose
05-12-2017, 12:17 AM
And the thread has been civil because almost everyone agrees...:)

catnthehat
05-12-2017, 12:40 AM
I own other 30 bait casting reels that I use every now and then and really like them .
Some are as old as early 50's and some are from the 90'done are high dollar and some are cheaper
I also have s mess of spinning reels but they are big my primary interest when it comes to fishing with gear
If the gears are worn they will tend to have ussues like the arbor failing to turn with the crank
Cat

RavYak
05-12-2017, 12:47 AM

What I said:

I guess that is your opinion and must depend on your definition of casts fine. It seems you are focused entirely on tangles which yes is operator error but I never said anything about tangles...

Many of the cheaper reels lack braking adjustment. Use my Quantum Aztec that I had as an example. It only had 3 brake settings. The brake was usually either too weak requiring careful attention and thumb control or too strong in which case yes the reel did cast without tangles but at a reduced distance.

The top reels have infinite adjustment braking systems for a reason. So you can maximize casting distance without worrying about birds nests no matter what line and lure you choose(within reason obviously).

With higher priced baitcasters you usually get better machined products and better materials too. My Echelon for example worked decent enough but after 2 years of use it already had enough wear that I was having anti reverse issues. This is when I decided to buy the Curado and 3 years of much heavier use later the Curado is still going strong without any issues.

Go ahead and recommend people buy cheap baitcasters if you like but I won't... Buy a good reel and take care of it and it will pay for itself in the long run.

Elk Chaser
05-12-2017, 07:12 AM
gears are slipping, go see the fishing reel doctor

calgarygringo
05-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Yes I have many other bait cast type I use as well and troll a lot with my Abu 5600 and 4500 series but if I was taking the noob family out first time no chance.
Closed face are good for rookies or spin cast next. There are a few better quality closed faces out there as well if you look around. Maybe not in the league as some of us are speaking but way better than the spider man/frozen models. LOL.

GoneFishingEDM
05-12-2017, 10:08 AM
From a newbies perspective with baticasters. This is my first year for trying a baitcaster. Me and my buddy both got baitcasters, I spent a bit more and got something with the magnetic brakes, and the centrifuge brake along with the spool tension. My buddy went cheaper and got one with just the magnetic brake and spool tension. And I will say I was able to get my setup dialed in much faster than him. I have more control and have only had 2 bad bird nests (user error for sure). I'm really enjoying the baitcaster so far. My buddy has gone back to his spin reel just out of frustration. I'm already looking at upgrading to a much higher end baitcaster next year. So far I prefer them, I guess I'll see how it performs when I get some big pike on the line.

EZM
05-12-2017, 10:57 AM
Baitcasters are excellent for all the reasons other contributors mentioned (so I won't repeat all the benefits) but I'd say a few other things I like about them not mentioned.....

1) They are comfortable to hold in your hand and cast all day and weigh less

2) They have excellent, silky smooth and very finite drags setting which are, generally, superior to most spin casting outfits.

3) The level wind family of bait casters have all sorts of other features not found on spinning reels - like line counters - multiple drag washers - more bearings (generally speaking).

4) Easier to store in your rod locker - spinning reels drive me nuts in the locker as I can only ever use every second slot.

My favorite reels are always going to be Abu Garcia - they make the very best, slippery smooth drag systems, second to none, for all their bait casters and spinning reels. Their products are bullet proof.

Talking moose
05-12-2017, 10:59 AM
Yes I have many other bait cast type I use as well and troll a lot with my Abu 5600 and 4500 series but if I was taking the noob family out first time no chance.
Closed face are good for rookies or spin cast next. There are a few better quality closed faces out there as well if you look around. Maybe not in the league as some of us are speaking but way better than the spider man/frozen models. LOL.

Spincast is actually a closed face reel. Spinning is open faced. I always thought spincast was an open face until last year... lol fun fact.

EZM
05-12-2017, 11:00 AM

No ........ most people wouldn't.

But you also don't teach a brand new driver to drive a supercharged sportscar with a manual transmission either do you?

calgarygringo
05-12-2017, 11:08 AM
So us baitcasters are sulercharged fishermen you say. Lol.

No ........ most people wouldn't.

But you also don't teach a brand new driver to drive a supercharged sportscar with a manual transmission either do you?

huntsfurfish
05-12-2017, 11:33 AM
If I was taking a family of noobs out for one weekend I would bring a spin cast (not a spinning reel...)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170512/2f88eacc9a6987337e477f2774039a02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree.

EZM
05-12-2017, 05:31 PM
So us baitcasters are sulercharged fishermen you say. Lol.

ok ..... maybe not supercharged ........ but certainly the manual transmission part ......... with a burnt clutch ......lol

THERICARDO
05-14-2017, 12:07 PM
oops quoted wrong person

THERICARDO
05-14-2017, 12:10 PM

I definitely wouldn't tell a newbie they need one, but any experienced fisherman will see benefits once using one. Sometimes just the weight and feel in hand is enough for me, also castability and accuracy... some people just don't like or want top learn to use them though and I understand that.