PDA

View Full Version : Posing with fish

billybobjimbo jr.
04-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Howdy folks,
Why do many fishermen/women find it necessary to "pose" for the camera with the fish they just brought in? I have a problem with this if you plan on releasing said fish. If your intention is to keep the fish then go ahead and take as many pictures as you want. Hell, you could even dress yourself and the fish in matching outfits for a REAL cool shot.
My issue with posing for the photo and practicing C & R is the stress caused to the fish. Enough stress is put on the fish from being hooked and netted/landed. Setting a fish on the shore, rocks or holding it up for a picture just isn't necessary in opinion. It's all about ego. If you want to record fish for posterity why not gently hold it in the water or net briefly, snap a quick picture and release it. Proving to other people that you caught a "lunker" isn't important. Safely releasing the fish and perhaps allowing it to reproduce is. Who knows, you might catch it again or allow someone else the experience. You'll know you caught it and that is what matters.
Any other opinions on this topic?
cheers,
BBJ Jr.

jeprli
04-25-2009, 08:12 AM
I agree with you 100%.

Putting fish on rocks is a big no no, especially in summer when they're hot, the fish cooks in matter of seconds.

Grabbing fish by the gill plate and holding it up that way is another bad practice.

Definitely no need for posing with fish, it's a huge stress for it.

I-Love-Eyes
04-25-2009, 09:00 AM
CPR---Catch, Photo, Release--- Nothing wrong with this if you are on the ball. Most people fish with a budy or two and if someone gets a "Fish On!", the buddy can get the camera ready for a quick pic before release. Of course, if you fiddle with the camera while the fish is out of the H2O, then you should and must give up the picture!! No sense stressing the fish for a picture if your not ready and your buddy can vouch for the size of your fish when you get home. "Posing the fish" should always be a no-no.

Ever watch any of those fishing shows on TV? They catch the fish and hold it for the camera for quite a long time while they talk. Then they torpedo the fish instead of reviving it:mad3::mad2: And those guys are supposed to be ""PROS""?!:tongue2:

Waxy
04-25-2009, 09:09 AM
As long as you're ready with the camera and snap a quick pic, I see no problem with it whatsoever and I plan on continuing to do it.

Waxy

Scott N
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm with Waxy on this one. If done properly there is no harm done to the fish.

Nerdapres'
04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
My wife scrapbooks. I get in trouble if I don't take pics.

seahawkfisher
04-25-2009, 09:53 AM
maybe we should lobby the gov't for some regulations on the practice of photo and release. We could get some of the people who "know" how to properly take a piture of a fish and certify them, make all anglers take a course from these "experts" and obtain a Fishing Camera Opperator's Card (FCOC for short). then, at least, we would have a bunch of educated FCOC's out on the water protecting our resources from those who don't understand the ramifications of holding a fish out of water for the extra 2 seconds to take a picture of it.

who's with me here...
cheers

beerhunter
04-25-2009, 10:04 AM
What a bunch of horsesh1t. You might as well be a PETA member if you think a quick shot with your fish and release is WRONG. Go get on a boat with Green Peace and stop the tuna fishermen too.

CPR..... I'm with you....and those guys who cant do it properly yes FCOC lets get the government in on this one.:lol:

bullpike
04-25-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm with you guys...... leave the sea kittens alone.:rolleye2:

kreator
04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Ok wait, you're fine with taking a picture of the fish as long as you kill it, but you're totally against the idea of taking a picture of a fish if you release it. Something seems weird here. At least a released fish, picture or no picture, has a chance at survival. Throwing it in the cooler is a little more stressful for the fish than a few kodak moments.

jts1
04-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I understand the need for a proper C&R. But come on guys we have got to draw the line somewhere. Soon some will want us to cut the leader on every fish as not to take it out of the water @ all. For the rest of a species to survive there is a need for some to be pulled out bonked on the head and cooked up. There is WAY more important things we all could be focused on to help our fisheries. The guy who takes the photo and releases his fish is doing the right thing. Good on ya , dont let anyone tell you any different.

bobalong
04-25-2009, 11:08 AM
As long as you're ready with the camera and snap a quick pic, I see no problem with it whatsoever and I plan on continuing to do it.

Waxy

I see no problem at all with pics either. I think you will find those that whine about pics are usually those that don't get the opportunity to take any. Having caught very few fish they assume that everyones C/R skills are as limited as there own. Usually has more to do with envy on there part rather than ego on the anglers part.

jeprli
04-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Sorry if I offended someone it was not my intention. I like to take pictures of my fish too, and I take lots but I keep fish in the water, if I have a friend with a camera nearby I like to have a photo but I do it quick and safely release the fish after.

Perhaps I should only write after I had my morning coffee...

BobLoblaw
04-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree with you 100%.

Putting fish on rocks is a big no no, especially in summer when they're hot, the fish cooks in matter of seconds.

Grabbing fish by the gill plate and holding it up that way is another bad practice.

Definitely no need for posing with fish, it's a huge stress for it.

You're right,dude!
Glad to see you're not like the guy who posted 'pictures from the Bow' about
3 weeks ago;you know the one-the guy with all the nice fish caught on crankbaits. 8 of those pics were of fish being held out of the water;included were a brown that was covered in snow,a snow-covered pike,& a pike with grass & debris stuck to it,& a thumb that may or may not be in it's gills.
Happy to see you treat your fish better than that feller;what was his name...?:evilgrin:

lazer loop
04-25-2009, 03:26 PM
how about using common sense if you cant then maybe you shouldnt be fishing. Take pictures and release the fish in a proper way!

Albertabowhunter
04-25-2009, 03:47 PM
:scared:

Whats next? Wear latex gloves before handling the hook? You wouldnt want to pass on a cold or something...:lol:

kostianych
04-25-2009, 04:21 PM
it`s a paranoia.....
CPR - just do it right and everything is fine.....

lipripper
04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Truth of the matter is this,driving a razor sharp hook into a fishes mouth wether your keeping the fish or not,puts stress on the fish.
SO if you plan on relesing the fish it only makes sense to do as little damage as possible,therefore be ready with the camera keep the fish out of the water for as little time as possible and NEVER place the fish on the ground for the picture.
On the other hand saying that no one should be taking pics of their catches is nothing but elitest crap.Remember even all you hard core fish huggers are driving razor sharp hooks into the mouths of the creatures you love so much for your amuzment.(I have been around this game long enough to tell you that you aint fooling me with the IM more of a sportsman crap)
i think the idea is to do as little damage possible while enjoying our favorite pastime,and not puttingyourself ahead of anyone else because your scrapbook is empty.
Tight Lines

BigRackLover
04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
I thought cabin fever was over

cammat
04-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I have pulled walleye and pike out of rivers and lakes that have been attacked by other fish. They have had chunks and bites taken out of them. Holding a fish for 30 seconds can't be and harder on a fish than another fishing trying and not suceeding to eat them. Fish are a lot tougher then we give them credit for.

merk1
04-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Give me a break. This should have been at the top of the list on joke of the day. Go save a tree this is what the outdoorsman is all about, any of my fish after a picture or two swim off like a bat out of hell.

Don Andersen
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Guys,

Below is a reference to a good read on exposure of trout to air.

In brief:

Two Canadian biologists, Ferguson and Tufts, performed their research on hatchery bred Rainbows averaging one pound *. The fish were exercised to exhaustion and then divided into three groups. The first / control group was left in the water, the second group was exposed to air for 30 seconds and the third group was exposed to air for 60 seconds. They then documented the results for 12 hours following.

The survival rates for the three groups were as follows:
Group 1 / Control – 88%
Group 2 (30 Secs) – 62%
Group 3 (60 Secs) – 28%

* "Ferguson RA and Tufts BL. Physiological effects of brief air exposure in exhaustively exercised rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss): Implications for “catch and release” fisheries. Can J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 1992; 49: 1157-1162"

So the question is - how fast can a person measure a fish and ensure survival?

The special reg. lakes should be a limit of one at any length - you can stop @ any time. No need to kill fish to you get a keeper. You outta see the Pelicans line up @ Bullshead waiting for the length rejects to float on by.

regards,

Don

ESOXangler
04-25-2009, 07:15 PM
you guys are missing the important part, that fish should be happy that its not on a first class ticket to a frying pan. if you think taking a picture and releasing puts a guy in the wrong maybe you'd be better off finding an hole in a log and having a good ol time

Coltprins
04-25-2009, 08:49 PM
If you are going to release your fish, dont hold it by the gills, put it one hot rocks or take it out out of there water for eccessively long times... But i dont see the problem with snapping a quick picture with the fish. Hold it out of the water for ten seconds, take a picture and let it go, or take it home to mount on your wall. which one do you think the fish would rather. i want to be able to remember the fish i catch, not only fish tales...

burbotman
04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
If a person feels that it is too stressfull to take a properly executed photo of a fish that they have caught to enjoy the memory, then they should not put the fish through the stress of having been caught.

Bass Pro shops now provides the opportunity for them to see some of our native species up close without having to put the fish through the stress of the angling experiance.

Having said the above I do agree that there are many poor examples of fishing handling prior to release. It is certainly incumbent on us all to ensure fish that we intend to release are put back in good shape. This certainly does not preclude a quick photo.

Some of my most prized possesions are my photos of fish caught and then released, I never have nor will I feel like a poor sportsman.

kostianych
04-25-2009, 09:53 PM
do you guys think that "catch and release" doesn`t kill fish? if you are so "GREEN" just quite fishing.....

fish-man
04-25-2009, 10:14 PM
This one doesn't seem that hard.

Quick picture, holding fish properly, then release = ok.
Leave fish flopping on shore for a long time while you try to dig out your camera = not ok.

I can't believe holding a fish out of water for 10 seconds will harm it any more than putting your own head in water for 10 seconds will kill you. If the fish is out of water or bouncing itself off hard rocks for any length of time, or if you grab the fish by the eyes, it's a different story. I don't have any stats but I'd bet that most of the released fish would die from deep hooks, not from pictures.

deanmc
04-25-2009, 10:37 PM
:o

SNAPFisher
04-26-2009, 07:15 AM
cheers,
BBJ Jr.

Your signature lines says it all. Thanks for another "joke" post for the rest of us to weed through.

tbosch
04-26-2009, 07:42 AM
I dont think its the thread thats the joke....

merk1
04-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I agree tbosch, I think people make foolish statements like that just to get under peoples skin. Trout, I agree are allot more sensitive fish but if the release is done right, well I have never had a proplem. Pike on the other hand are a very strong fish you could likely make a movie and when released properly he is still going to get you wet swimming away. I just hate it when people have nothing better to do than complain about something they really don't know anything about.

billybobjimbo jr.
04-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Your signature lines says it all. Thanks for another "joke" post for the rest of us to weed through.

Snap,
For a "joke" post there sure were a lot of opinions and replies. Your choice to read and reply or move on to the next interesting topic.
Cheers,
BBJ Jr.

merk1
04-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Snap,
For a "joke" post there sure were a lot of opinions and replies. Your choice to read and reply or move on to the next interesting topic.
Cheers,
BBJ Jr.

It is always things like this and people like this that always start things. Should almost be a screening process. I remember a while back we were talking maybe charging a fee for the site, I would be willing if it keeps people like this away. Just my thought.

SNAPFisher
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
It is always things like this and people like this that always start things. Should almost be a screening process. I remember a while back we were talking maybe charging a fee for the site, I would be willing if it keeps people like this away. Just my thought.

I would too. Unfortunately there are lots of other free sites so it would be a pretty hard sell. I remember a great board based out of Calgary, I believe, that tried that.

Sorry BBJ Jr.......I didn't know you were so legit. Post away.

gpguy7
04-26-2009, 01:58 PM
A lot of the mortality rates depend on other things than just how long the fish is out of water I would think. Holding them through the gill plate as stated, letting them drag on rocks, and not gently handling them all have effects on them. No one here has mentioned water temperature either. A pike is a lot stronger fish when the water temperature is in the mid-range in the spring and fall because the water temperature is cooler. It's the same for most types of fish in freshwater. Taking a pike out of 80+ degrees of water is harder on the fish, it's no different than taking it out of the ice in the winter.

I don't see the problem with taking a picture with your trophy. As long as it's handled properly and in a timely matter. If you catch a 40 plus inch pike or an 8lb rainbow, odds are you are going to want proof to show the boys. Just do it properly.

hockeyfish
04-26-2009, 11:27 PM
i pose because i don't care

packhuntr
04-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Merk1, Im not sure you nessesarily know what you are talking about. You are right about the "he" part, and thats about it. Yes, smaller males arent as prone to injury due to improper handling as larger fish. But im not sure you meant to say that. You could hold a 25 pound class pike vertically by the gill plate/jaw, hear the spine popping, effectively break her back by separating the first vertebrae from the base of the spine, take your photos quickly, release her, and she will still soak you as she takes a power dive for the bottom. Even though she left strong, shes a dead fish. It happens more than you want to know. Its not the picture that kills, its the manner in which they are handled. I think you maybe ought to know what your talking about,,,, if your gonna be talking that is. Take it easy on the guy, hes not trolling, hes looking for input into his question. Good greif. Maybey we should charge you a little money to voice your un-educated opinion on this one?? Just relax a little and take it easy.

Cal
04-27-2009, 07:34 AM
x 2 on that, I dont know why people think pike are so invicible. Fish down river of the spillway on the slave river on a buisy evening and you will see a non stop parade of belly up pike float by. True they may be tougher than some species but they still need to be put back in the water quickly. And the bigger the fish of any species the more care it requires. Just like people, the older they get the less abuse they can handle, those lunkers are the old grannies of the deep and should be treated as such. Like Packhunter said you should not hold very large fish verticly, as they are creatures meant to exist in zero gravity their organs are not attatched as securely as ours and internal damage can result. As for pictures done properly I dont see the harm. But the statements being made by alot of people here proove that this post may not be as stupid as you seem to think, its the fish handling that is the problem and not the photos and a few people dont seem to have any grasp of that concept. Just because they swim away does not mean that they will survive. Infact in alaska it the guides are not supposed to remove a salmon that will not be kept from th water... much like the original poster said. A promo video made by a guide where he held the fish out of the water while talking like the fishing show yahoos got him his licence yanked.

And I totaly agree about the fishing shows, I cant beleive that they are allowed to practice such poor fish handling.

merk1
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Packhunter I do know what I am talking about, I have been flyfishing for 30yrs now and have always practiced c&r as I love to fish but don't eat much, Ihave never had a problem till now. Just can't believe some people here, GOOD BYE!

Cal
04-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I see that you merely said that he would get you wet while swimming away and not that he would survive which was wise. With your 30 years of experience I would hope that you know that there is a difference between the two. If after 30 years of C&R fishing you honestly think that you can keep a pike out of water for an extended period and his chances of survival will still be good then maby the govornmend should step in as its obvious that some of us wont behave responsibly for ourselfs.

Ayr
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Howdy folks,
Why do many fishermen/women find it necessary to "pose" for the camera with the fish they just brought in? I have a problem with this if you plan on releasing said fish. If your intention is to keep the fish then go ahead and take as many pictures as you want. Hell, you could even dress yourself and the fish in matching outfits for a REAL cool shot.
My issue with posing for the photo and practicing C & R is the stress caused to the fish. Enough stress is put on the fish from being hooked and netted/landed. Setting a fish on the shore, rocks or holding it up for a picture just isn't necessary in opinion. It's all about ego. If you want to record fish for posterity why not gently hold it in the water or net briefly, snap a quick picture and release it. Proving to other people that you caught a "lunker" isn't important. Safely releasing the fish and perhaps allowing it to reproduce is. Who knows, you might catch it again or allow someone else the experience. You'll know you caught it and that is what matters.
cheers,
BBJ Jr.

Well done little BJ, seven posts and you're already an accomplished troller. The soap-box type attitude (personal fav. "Hell, you could even dress yourself and the fish in matching outfits for a REAL cool shot." ) and finishing with an open-ended question--textbook. The true measure of a successful troll is the amount of hits you get on your bait, and you've outdone yourself here, as the thread has achieved the coveted trolling "on fire" icon. WTG!!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/big_red367/Avatars/TROLLING.jpg

Ayr.

Morph1
04-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Packhunter I do know what I am talking about, I have been flyfishing for 30yrs now and have always practiced c&r as I love to fish but don't eat much, Ihave never had a problem till now. Just can't believe some people here, GOOD BYE!

Good Bye Merk1 :cry:
we surely will miss you :lol: :wave:
I heard you leaving already a couple of times, just go on and find a forum where everyone will agree with you and have the same point of view as you. - sorry can't stand whiners
and packhuntr great explenation ..., handling fish is the key unless you're gonna keep it..

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
There isnt a problem with taking a quick picture of your catch , but its when that fish is out of the water for long amount of time may aswell throw it on the stringer .With proper handleing technics and fast release times with give maximun chance for those fish to live and to be caught another day .

Here are a few tips for catch and release:

* Remember to have your needle nose pliers ready to remove a stubborn hook. If you try to yank and twist it, you might do more damage to the fish. Remember, there is a bard on the sharp end of the hook. This type of situation requires a calm mind and some experience to successfully remove the hook.

* If you have to grab the fish with your hands, always wet them first. Dry skin will remove the protective slime coating on the fish, this can cause the unprotected areas to become susceptible to algae and fungal growth which can cause disease and eventually kill the fish. (Delayed Mortality)

* Try not to use a fishing-net unless it’s the plastic coated kind. Once again, the dry netting can remove the fish’s protective coating.

* Don’t lay the fish on the dock, the deck of your boat or the ground next to the shoreline. Again, the removal of the fish’s protective coating causes long-term effects.

* If the fish swallows the hook, don’t try to remove it. Just cut the line as close as you can to the hook and put the fish in the water. The fish will usually expel the hook on its own, once it’s back in the water.

* The proper use of a live-well is the best method for keeping fish alive until its time to release them. A little research at your local bait and tackle shop will help with choosing the right chemicals and how much to use in your live-well.

* Try to keep the water temperature of your live-well within five degrees of the water temperature of the lake. Five to eight degrees can be fatal. The use of non-chlorinated ice is recommended in small doses.

* And remember to wet the measuring board before putting the fish on it. It’s all about that protective coating.

Nerdapres'
04-27-2009, 05:32 PM
This fricken "trolling" word is getting overused. What is so wrong with starting a heated discussion? Now people are talking about a "pay to use" forum?! C'mon people it's the internet, if you don't like arguing, don't post!

Bunch of grade schoolers around here. If you think it's a troll, ignore it, don't get sucked in.

In the immortal words of Artie Lange... waaaa!

Walleyes
04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Some good points brought out on both sides of this discussion. I think that most on here agree that we should handle our fish as quickly and lightly as possible its only in the best interest of the fish. But with that being said I do believe that these critters are much tougher than some would give them credit and like some have stated it does depend on species as well. Trout for instance are much more fragile than say Pike or Walleye.. Now I won't get in a debate over it its just the way it is that's all.

But one thing I won't do is come on here and condemn people for clipping a few pics before releasing a fish because as long as its done in a timely fashion and the fish are handled properly which just by viewing a couple pics we have no idea how they were treated its all fine to do.

So lets all keep the interest of the fish first and formost in our minds but lets all keep the pics coming,,, I know I will...

billybobjimbo jr.
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
I recently joined this forum because I truly enjoy being outdoors and much of that time spent is fishing. I'm also a member of a couple of other fishing forums and have been grateful for advice and knowledge passed on to me by other members with far more knowledge and experience than I.
In my mind a fishing forum is there for folks to share information, experiences, OPINIONS and yes, pictures. You don't have to agree with my views or opinions and conversely I don't have to agree with yours but we both have the right to post them. Plain and simple.
If you want to throw personal insults my way because I'm concerned about possible harm done to a fish while you pose with your catch that's your choice as well. I'll continue to fish and release the way I choose and even take a few pictures when the opportunity presents itself.
There's no right or wrong here I'm only voicing my opinion. I'm not an authority or expert only someone who is concerned about maintaining a sustainable fishery for our generation and many more to come and feel it is within my right to state my views.
Cheers and thanks for your all comments, especially Don Andersen
BBJ Jr.

wake
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
All I can say is.....Wow, just wow!!!

Just when I thought I have seen and heard everything.

I see no issue with a quick picture and then a release of a fish if your not planning on keeping it.Many anglers are very responsible and dont mishandle fish.

As for the bonehead who puts a fish on the ground and takes a pic then releases it.No excuse.

Then again if this is greenpeace there is no right answer.

Jester
04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Then again if this is greenpeace there is no right answer.

I think Peta is worse than Greenpeace....just my opinion.:)

Anyhoo....there is nothing wrong with taking a quick pic..

ukrmaf
04-30-2009, 02:44 AM
What the hell is wrong with taking a pic, usually buddy has the camera ready before if done removing the hook. Some of the people on here are so "concerned"???? If you think snapping a shot is really that bad than what are you doing out there in the first place. Lets think about this a 3 min battle where you are forced to change depths before your body can adjust, really the 2 sec snap shot is the least of the fish's suffering in the grand sceme of things.

KyleM
04-30-2009, 07:07 AM
You guys sure know how to beat a topic to death.

Same BS, different title.

Big Bull
04-30-2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse5.gif

Tofinofish
04-30-2009, 08:46 AM
On the lighter side of things, which one should we have released? One stayed out of the water too long and one soaked in the Beer too long......

tbosch
04-30-2009, 08:51 AM
On the lighter side of things, which one should we have released? One stayed out of the water too long and one soaked in the Beer too long......

Bwaaa haaa haa. Good one tofino. How to lighten up the situation. That looks like my type of fishing trip...Good stuff

SNAPFisher
04-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Bwaaa haaa haa. Good one tofino. How to lighten up the situation. That looks like my type of fishing trip...Good stuff

X2 that one...too funny!

pdfish
04-30-2009, 04:54 PM

I sure hope you clubbed the one in the bottom of the pic, it would be bad for the gene pool if that one reproduced. :evilgrin:

Tofinofish
05-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I sure hope you clubbed the one in the bottom of the pic, it would be bad for the gene pool if that one reproduced. :evilgrin:

He didn't need clubbing at all,,,,,I think he hit the deck about the same time as the Halibut!
Some funny stories about that guy that will keep me laughing for years:lol::lol::lol:

Was kinda nice to release him back home to California, and I'm pretty sure he survived. His brother in law is a good buddy of mine, and ironically he mentioned the gene pool threat as well.