PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Trans Issue?

Hunter65
05-14-2017, 03:54 PM
I am not a bike expert, and don't have a whole lot of experience with bikes. Not sure if I have a problem or not. 2009 Suzuki Blvd M50. Occasionally when I'm at a stop and proceed to put the tranny in 1st gear, it wont go. I need to move the bike forward or backward to get into first gear. Once in gear no problem, gears up and down fine. Only when i come to a stop then want to go again from neutral.This happens more that I like, but definitely not always, once every 10 stops maybe.

So my question is - is this normal? Or do I have a problem?

Thanks in advance.
Mike

JimPS
05-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Clutch adjustment, low engine oil or the wrong kind (wet clutch) - maybe?

Did you recently do an oil change?

Hunter65
05-14-2017, 04:38 PM
Clutch adjustment, low engine oil or the wrong kind (wet clutch) - maybe?

Did you recently do an oil change?

Bike was bought early last year, did an oil change at that time. Used Suzuki oil. Have not done one this year, bike has 7000k on it, bought at ~4000k, so I put 3000k on it last year. Will do one before i put too many miles on it this year...How often should an oil change be done? Buddy does his every spring, needed it or not. Probably a good idea.

How does engine oil affect clutch operation or changing gears etc? Wet clutch uses tranny oil?? Have not changed that. Sounds like it ought to be checked....

And I will check clutch adjustment.

Thanks again...

Little Valy
05-14-2017, 05:50 PM
I change my oil about every 1500 km which is more often than it has to be
On your next oil change use full synthetic and you will feel a big difference when you change gears
When I switched to full synthetic the difference was night and day

dewalt18
05-14-2017, 07:02 PM
It's not an uncommon trait of motorcycles, from dirt bikes to cruisers. Try shifting from first all the way up to sixth sometime, with the bike not running. I bet you don't even make it to third before you have to rock it a little bit for it to engage. As far as oil goes, it's all sort of individual preference. I do mine every 3000km, with $15 a litre Amsoil, but that's in a high revving sport bike engine. I'm sure you'd be fine doing 5000km intervals, as long as you use quality oil. Best advice I can offer is find a copy of the owners manual. All the regular maintenance and service intervals will be in there

Congrats on the new bike, ride safe! Remember, every other person on the road is trying to kill you. Ride accordingly and pay attention to EVERYTHING in front of, around, and behind you.

Hunter65
05-14-2017, 07:55 PM
It's not an uncommon trait of motorcycles, from dirt bikes to cruisers. Try shifting from first all the way up to sixth sometime, with the bike not running. I bet you don't even make it to third before you have to rock it a little bit for it to engage. As far as oil goes, it's all sort of individual preference. I do mine every 3000km, with $15 a litre Amsoil, but that's in a high revving sport bike engine. I'm sure you'd be fine doing 5000km intervals, as long as you use quality oil. Best advice I can offer is find a copy of the owners manual. All the regular maintenance and service intervals will be in there

Congrats on the new bike, ride safe! Remember, every other person on the road is trying to kill you. Ride accordingly and pay attention to EVERYTHING in front of, around, and behind you.

Good advice all around. Never enough reminders about safe riding.

So...it's somewhat normal to not be able to change gears at times?

And I did buy an owners manual - lost it in the garage. Just have to find it. I plan on changing the oil shortly - really busy at work and not home much these days. No excuse.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike

spoiledsaskhunter
05-14-2017, 10:38 PM

money in the bank........don't sweat it.

tullfan
05-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Its actually not a common thing for you to not easily put it in neutral when bike is running.
If its running and clutch is adjusted properly the bike will go into neutral easily.
If the clutch is dragging a bit it will be a little difficult to get neutral.
Dragging especially in Japanese bikes due to a faulty clutch is fairly rare, exceptions are burnt clutch plates due to slipping, warped steels also due to slipping, or hard launches, drag racing bla,bla.
Suspect your cable has stretched a little. Adjust it and you should be good to go. Look for about 3-5mm of free play at lever.
Have fun, be safe.
Tullfan.

DisplacedCaper
05-15-2017, 07:23 PM
I'd start with the easiest solution. Do the oil. I go by the 5000km or 12 month rule. Won't hurt it and only take an hour of your time (factoring in time to find that damn wrench you just had in your hand lol)
Another trick to try, give it a rev before you switch. See if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^v^Tinda wolf^v^
05-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Yup I'm going with clutch adjustment. Sounds like she's been rode hard and put away wet.

Hunter65
05-15-2017, 08:00 PM
Yup I'm going with clutch adjustment. Sounds like she's been rode hard and put away wet.

Judging by the person I bought it from I don't think it was rode hard and put away wet. I'm not much of a rider myself and I know that I haven't ridden it very hard. I think I'll go with an oil change and have a look at the clutch cable.

Tactical Lever
05-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Your bike has a constant mesh transmission and wet clutch. What that means is ...stuff. Sometimes they do not get into gear easily, so feather the clutch, or even get it about 1/3 engaged and it should pop into gear.

For the oil, the engine shares the same oil as the transmission so it's an oil bath clutch. Use only a 4 stroke oil approved for a wet clutch. Harleys are a different deal; the engine and transmission are separate so have different oils, and Ducatis have a dry clutch (no oil on clutch).

Nothing wrong with the bike, just the way they are designed. Usually the Japanese bikes are fairly easy to get into gear just with a big toe, but due to it being a bigger V-twin, it might be a little tougher. Harleys usually (at least Evolution years) almost take a light heel kick to get into first.

Sorry, that's about as technical as I can get on that right now.

J0HN_R1
05-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Sometimes needing to rock the bike to get it in gear from neutral...

IS COMPLETELY NORMAL !!!

The dogs & the gears sometimes "meet up" when you cruise to a stop in neutral, or sometimes for no apparent reason.

Try downshifting into 1st before stopping (and release the clutch, lol), and only put it in neutral AFTER you've completely stopped. It should re-enter 1st gear easily.

My username has R1 in it because I've had 4 of them now, each one a different model year.

:party0051:

dewalt18
05-15-2017, 10:30 PM
In regards to the Ducati mention, my better half rides an '06 monster 800, wet clutch. Not all rules apply across a single brand. If you're unsure, get a manual, or talk to a dealer. They may try to take you for a ride, but in my experience they're happy to help out with tech support of you're there buy parts and supplies

lmtada
05-16-2017, 06:48 AM
Reading on the Suzuki M50 forums. Seems like common issue with the Suzuki. Good luck.

http://www.volusiariders.com/60-help/107823-shifting-issue-my-new-c50.html

tullfan
05-16-2017, 08:00 AM
Just an fyi.
Harley' s the big twins do have separate trans, engine and primary units. They also make specific oils for each, however you can use Amsoil 20/50 in all three with zero issues. The sportsters share engine and trans oil, but not primary.
And the R1 guy, ill respectfully agree to disagree. If you cant get your bike into neutral after coming to a stop easily, theres an issue. most likely clutch. At our shop we see so few japanease trans issues that are actually trans issues. Other than abuse, miiss shifting, improper clutchless shifting, they're pretty bullet proof. Of the hundreds of sport bikes that have come into the shop for shifting/dragging issues #1 on the list is clutch adjustment, or the custom levers that have odd lever pull angles, but they're cool. Or worn out clutches, be it plates or discs. Baskets do wear but mostely in dirt bikes. Clutches are really such simple beasts.
As stated, do oil, adjust cable shoild be good.
Anyway, good luck, hope you easily resolve your issue.

elkhunter11
05-16-2017, 08:32 AM
If you are going to use full synthetic oil, make sure that it is rated for wet clutches, not all synthetic oil is. If the synthetic oil is sold as a motocycle oil, then it is generally fine.

tchammer
05-16-2017, 01:26 PM
Actually guys, he is having a problem getting into first FROM neutral from the sounds of it not the other way around.