PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first fishing boat - where to go

Imagehunter
05-15-2017, 12:48 PM
I'm looking into buying my first fishing boat and as a previously shore only fisher I have loads of questions about fishing from a boat to avoid all sorts of trouble before getting into it.
Can anyone recommend a dealer between Calgary and Red Deer that might also sell used boats with staff that can offer more info than basic boat and motor specs just looking for a sales commission? That can explain the different pro's and con's of the different boat types and things like that? I'd rather pay a little more in the end and get proper information from experienced people than just looking for the cheapest deal.
Thanks in advance.

Okotokian
05-15-2017, 01:13 PM
I'd use this source to ask questions. Tell us a little about what you want to do, where you want to fish, how many in the boat, your price range, etc.

fallen1817
05-15-2017, 03:32 PM
I'd use this source to ask questions. Tell us a little about what you want to do, where you want to fish, how many in the boat, your price range, etc.

I'd trust this board more than any sales person... At least with the board, you will get user reviews, and what people like/don't like.

TROLLER
05-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Start out by telling us where you like to fish how many usually will be with you what your budget is and do you have a place to park it or do you need to use storage?

Throw some info out and lot's of guys here will be more than happy to help you choose what will be best for you.

Imagehunter
05-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Not looking for anything big or fancy to travel long distances on the water or for big lakes, should have space for two people with the option for a third from time to time (most likely not fishing but just coming out). I'd like to go fish for pike or trouts in smaller lakes of the size like Badger Lake, Kananaskis Lakes or Chain Lakes, spinning/casting, not deep water trolling. Just a small boat that is safe enough for those lakes and make it back safe if the weather turns.
No idea what the right size would be, what the differences or pro's/con's are between aluminum boats or others, if all offer a power outlet/connection for fish finders or if that can be added afterwards, what the right size of motor would be and what would be too much. Another question would be if you need a license to operate a boat on public waters (like a drivers license) or if that depends on motor size/boat type.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

Edit: storage is no issue, garage is big enough to hold a boat including trailer)

sanjuanworm
05-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Not looking for anything big or fancy to travel long distances on the water or for big lakes, should have space for two people with the option for a third from time to time (most likely not fishing but just coming out). I'd like to go fish for pike or trouts in smaller lakes of the size like Badger Lake, Kananaskis Lakes or Chain Lakes, spinning/casting, not deep water trolling. Just a small boat that is safe enough for those lakes and make it back safe if the weather turns.
No idea what the right size would be, what the differences or pro's/con's are between aluminum boats or others, if all offer a power outlet/connection for fish finders or if that can be added afterwards, what the right size of motor would be and what would be too much. Another question would be if you need a license to operate a boat on public waters (like a drivers license) or if that depends on motor size/boat type.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

If you can get your hands on a 14ft lund with a 25hp you'll be ok on these lakes. I made due with that boat for years on the lakes you listed.

You need a boat licence.

Imagehunter
05-15-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks, I like this boat from ETOWNCANUCK but didn't want to hijack his thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=321609

Where can you get/make the boat license?

ETOWNCANUCK
05-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks Imagehunter.

For me it was that I didn't want to go above 10K and what can I get for that price.

I went to 4 different dealers in and around Edmonton before I got to Barry Jay's Marine.

By then I had an idea of what I wanted.

When I got to the PrinceCraft, I just knew it was the boat for me.

After looking at the boat (PrinceCraft Springbok16ft) and motor (Mercury 25) and trailers(Karavan) I was able to put together the package all brand new, I got for 9K plus GST.
The seats cost me $500

Brining me to just over my 10K budget with everything installed and ready to go.

Pleasure Craft license at BoaterExam.com

Imagehunter
05-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Any idea what the whole set up weighs? Still good to pull with a 200+ HP SUV or should I rather look at a pick up?

ETOWNCANUCK
05-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Any idea what the whole set up weighs? Still good to pull with a 200+ HP SUV or should I rather look at a pick up?

http://www.princecraft.com/ca/en/products/Fishing-Boats/2017/Utility-Boats/Springbok-20.aspx

http://www.karavantrailers.com/KKBunkTrailers.cfm

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/ca/engines/outboard/fourstroke/25-30-hp/

58thecat
05-15-2017, 04:38 PM

Your good to go with the SUV.

dutchpirate
05-15-2017, 04:49 PM
I had great success with Leisure Liquidators (http://leisureliquidators.com/) out of Winnipeg. They have a yard at Tofield that they will deliver to for free if the boat is in one of the other yards. He focuses mainly on pontoons, but lists several boats as well, saw a few really nice fishing boats between $7-9k. There is a hot looking '89 Stratos at the Tofield yard.

creighton
05-15-2017, 05:14 PM
If you want to fit three comfortably I would not get a 10 or 12 foot. 14FT for sure! I fish with a 10 FT and you can fish with 3, but it is super crowded and weighed down with all the equipment.

Poppa
05-15-2017, 05:19 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat...poking around at getting our first boat. Here's what I know: 14', Lund or Alumacraft, 25hp 4-stroke......anything more than that is gravy. You should be able to get a decent starter unit for under 5k, no problem. Just keep watching Kijiji!

pikergolf
05-15-2017, 05:22 PM
If you can get your hands on a 14ft lund with a 25hp you'll be ok on these lakes. I made due with that boat for years on the lakes you listed.

You need a boat licence.

X2 on the 14ft if you want to fish trout lakes, anything bigger gets awkward with a bigger boat. You need to be honest about how bad a weather you will fish in as well. If you are a rough weather fisherman you will want a deep and wide boat. If you are more of a fair weather fisherman something like this and a twenty hp will do you well.
http://www.princecraft.com/ca/en/products/Fishing-Boats/2017/Utility-Boats/Fisherman.aspx

Imagehunter
05-15-2017, 05:56 PM
Don't care much about rain but I think it's good to think ahead and be prepared for the changing weather we always have here. So having a boat that is safe in case there are suddenly rough winds and make it safely to the shore or a safer spot is definitely a bonus, wouldn't want to cause emergency crews having to go out because I didn't do my homework and wasn't prepared.
Thanks for all the feedback and input, much appreciated.

RavYak
05-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Size and safety is largely dependent on the number of people you plan on having in said boat.

If it is just you a decent 12 foot tinner with a 15 hp motor will move you around plenty good.

If a couple of you then a 14 foot with 20 or 25 hp is a good choice.

3-4 people you are looking for a 16-18 footer with 40+ hp.

Even with a small boat you can fit 3-4 people(I had 4 in my 12 footer before) but the boat will sit low and will be slow so you have to be careful where you fish. The above recommendations are for sizing a boat so you should be able to get on plane and cover some ground to get off the water if the wind comes up.

If you get a tinner try to find a deep v hull one vs the shallow ones. My mirrocraft had a deeper hull and was lightyears better then my first shallow sears model.

EZM
05-15-2017, 08:58 PM
I would look at Crestliner on Lund to get a solid boat that's safe, comfortable and holds excellent resale value.

http://www.lundboats.com/boat-series/ssv/

A 16' SSV would be ideal in my mind with 25 hp or more. I prefer the Honda engines over other brands, but they are harder to find and a little more expensive.

The SSV comes in a 20" transom, so it will be nice, safe and deep.

Here's a decent buy ....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/lethbridge/2015-lund-ssv16-with-mercury-25-hp-and-lund-trailer/1262049448?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Tfng
05-15-2017, 09:07 PM
close Ezm. Here's my pick.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/nipawin/2014-lund-ssv-16ft-boat/1261340133?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That one might not have power trim though. Mine doesn't and I wish it did.

ROA
05-15-2017, 09:22 PM
For that kind of fishing I would go with a v bottom boat in the 14 to 16 foot class. Be aware that there are different sizes of boats other than just the length. A 14 foot "car topper" is not as deep or as wide as some of the bigger 14 footers like the Lund ssv or wc. Other bigger 14 footers include the Prince craft Yukon, the Naden Canadian laker or the Alumacraft v 14. Also the transom height makes a difference. The two sizes are 15" and 20". If you can go with a 20" as it gives you an extra 5" of height in the back of the boat above the water.

I have a Lund wc 14 with a 20hp and it is ideal for general fishing, moves along fairly fast, feels safe on rough water and can take 3 people. It weighs nothing behind a vehicle and is easy to launch.

Worth a thought.

newguy
05-15-2017, 11:27 PM
Thanks Imagehunter.

For me it was that I didn't want to go above 10K and what can I get for that price.

I went to 4 different dealers in and around Edmonton before I got to Barry Jay's Marine.

By then I had an idea of what I wanted.

When I got to the PrinceCraft, I just knew it was the boat for me.

After looking at the boat (PrinceCraft Springbok16ft) and motor (Mercury 25) and trailers(Karavan) I was able to put together the package all brand new, I got for 9K plus GST.
The seats cost me $500

Brining me to just over my 10K budget with everything installed and ready to go.

Pleasure Craft license at BoaterExam.com

Barry J's marine x2
Princecraft x

SamSteele
05-16-2017, 06:09 AM
Barry J's marine x2

Princecraft x

Barry J's x3, but I'll go with Lund. [emoji6]

I have an SSV 16 with a Yamaha 25 hp 4 stroke. Sounds like what you're looking for. I've had mine since 2002 and it has been rock solid. Fish northern shield lakes in SK with it.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppa
05-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Lund is absolutely the go-to fishing boat, but I'll tell ya....Aaron Wiebe and Uncut Angling is doing a pretty good job of selling me on those Alumacraft's. Love that 20'-er he's driving.....

deanna
05-16-2017, 03:19 PM
STAY AWAY FROM BOAT MART IN RED DEER:argue2::angry3:

bagwan
05-16-2017, 03:59 PM
STAY AWAY FROM BOAT MART IN RED DEER:argue2::angry3:

Might be nice to elaborate a bit when throwing someone under the bus. Another poster gave them a thumbs up when he bought a new one 2-3 weeks ago.

deanna
05-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Might be nice to elaborate a bit when throwing someone under the bus. Another poster gave them a thumbs up when he bought a new one 2-3 weeks ago.

u ever been there, there not nice. they jerked me around for 4 months. Would'nt return calls, always had a BS story. The place is a pig pen. They belong under a bus just like u

bagwan
05-16-2017, 04:35 PM
I've sourced lots of vintage parts from them and prices were reasonable. Older Evinrudes in particular. Good thing they were wrapped in plastic, I guess.Sorry you had problems but I've had good luck.

EZM
05-16-2017, 05:31 PM
A a point of reference ..... and why I recommend the 16' over the 14' (besides it sets up much nicer for a third fisherman)

the 14' SSV weighs 300 lbs and has a capacity of around 1000 lbs.

the 16' SSV weighs 50 lbs more at 350 lbs and has an added 200 lbs of capacity.

With three guys, gear, tackle, seats, flat floor, battery, fish finder, oars, cooler, fuel, motor, etc... the 1000 lb capacity comes up pretty darn quick and you are going to low riding.

Having the extra leg room and another 200 lbs capacity to me, is a big benefit.

The cost is only a few hundred bucks different for the boat itself.

Here is a boat only used 4 times (and likely 10 maybe 12 hours on 30hp motor) ...... looks like a good deal ...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/edmonton/2014-lund-ssv16-30hp-4stroke-mercury-electric-start-tilt/1263197936?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

32-40win
05-17-2017, 05:40 PM
I went with a 14ft Crestliner deep V hull with the high transom, about 12 yrs ago. Got a 2stroke 15hp Merc with it. It has done everything I've needed it to in BC, AB and MB. Been on some bigger water, still bearable for smaller water. Hit some very nasty days here and there, and it handled it just fine. Had 3 people in it, no issues. Have run it with just the trolling motor on it in some nasty stuff, no issues. It just has the bench seats, I put some seat mounts on it, and added seats to it as needed for the occasion. It is a 160lb boat, I like to put out drift socks when the wind comes up to slow it down a bit, works well. Two 15lb anchors will hold it nicely in most cases.

https://www.crestliner.com/crv/crv-1467/

I believe you can likely still get one at B&L Marine in Calgary.

67ZL1
05-17-2017, 05:56 PM
You can get the SSV Lund in 15" or 20" transoms, go with the 20". Also I would go with min 30hp on the 16' boat. The 14' boat will fish 2 people comfortably but might feel crowded with 3. When it comes to buying used, you will have a tougher time finding a 16' SSV or similar for sale as they don't come up that often. When they do they don't last long.

Imagehunter
05-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback and help!
Question about buying used from a private person via kijiji, does a boat come with paperwork as proof of ownership or some kind of registration that I need from the seller and weed out fishy people in case a price is too good and the boat maybe stolen?

bagwan
05-18-2017, 09:50 AM
The trailer itself is registered with a plate. The boat should have a pleasure craft ID on the bow. This should be registered to the seller. The motor itself has no registration criteria. Deal with it via bill of sale as well as the boat and trailer. The onus is on you to register the hull and ID number. Forms can be googled at Pleasure Craft License.

ETOWNCANUCK
05-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback and help!
Question about buying used from a private person via kijiji, does a boat come with paperwork as proof of ownership or some kind of registration that I need from the seller and weed out fishy people in case a price is too good and the boat maybe stolen?

I was skeptical about buying a used boat from a private seller as ,I don't know enough about them to make a sound judgement based on the info the seller has.

With new I get warranties, like 5 years with my outboard.

who knows what lies hidden in a used boat
they are notorious money pits.

then I get all the paperwork,

and the added piece of mind.

lok
05-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Buying new can save a lot of headaches down the road.

As for boat choice, love my ssv16. The nice thing with a basic boat is they are very easy to customize to fit your needs. I added a bimini top with side and front curtains, running a little propane heater and I've added a couple extra months on both ends of the season where the boat is comfortable to be in. Even had the wife and kid out in late Feb. this spring.

KUDUHNTR
05-19-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm looking into buying my first fishing boat and as a previously shore only fisher I have loads of questions about fishing from a boat to avoid all sorts of trouble before getting into it.
Can anyone recommend a dealer between Calgary and Red Deer that might also sell used boats with staff that can offer more info than basic boat and motor specs just looking for a sales commission? That can explain the different pro's and con's of the different boat types and things like that? I'd rather pay a little more in the end and get proper information from experienced people than just looking for the cheapest deal.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Imagehunter,

Lots of good advice on here so far, I would not be scared to buy a used boat, lots of good ones out there. If I was buying used, and I have before, if you want peace of mind, take it to a reputable boat shop, and have a buyer's inspection done, they will check the boat and motor, trailer, etc. Small price to pay, and you can save thousands over a new boat price. Im quite certain that boats over 10 hp have to be registered. So all used ones over 10 hp, should be then & along with all the paperwork, etc. Im sure you can have a search done to see if it has been stolen before, etc at the registry office.

I would check out Europa Canopy And Marine in Edmonton, talk to Daryl ( owner). I bought my last used boat from him, his own personal Mirrocraft laker 16'. Has a 20" transom, along with extra bracing in that area, very solid safe boat, stable deep boat. I ended up putting a 50hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on, and when you have 4 adults and the dog, and all tackle, lots of power, and under the max weight rating still!

He gave me a smok'n deal that I could not pass up. Its a very deep stable safe boat. He might even have a good used one(s)! http://www.europacanopy.com/
15915 - 116Ave Edmonton Alberta T5M3W1
(780) 2379757

Happy Fishing !

Imagehunter
05-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Thanks again for all the feedback and tight lines everyone this weekend :)

edsonfisherman
05-20-2017, 07:07 PM
Checkout StarCraft boats from shipwreck marine, I bought mine at the show, but they were cheaper and you got more for your money than a lot of other places I looked at, and I looked for 6 years before I bought mine. I got a StarCraft 168 Renegade and love it, lots of room for the four of us.