PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 safety failure

acr
05-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Hi, I was told Remington 700 has issues with the safety on that model. I don't know if this is still true with the new ones at the store or was it just a production problem for a few years? I was looking to acquire a 700 but someone I know told me about a woman killing her boy because of riffle disfunction. Thanks for replying!

elkhunter11
05-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Old news, a quick google search will reveal rhe effected serial numbers and years of manufacture.The woman killed her son, because she did not practise safe muzzle control. Only an idiot points a loaded firearm at another person depending on the safety to prevent an accidental discharge.

Cottus
05-15-2017, 09:50 PM
It IS old news. And, in addition to that, if you plan on having the rifle for any length of time any good drop-in trigger replacement replaces that safety anyways. *cough* TriggerTech :)

gitrdun
05-16-2017, 08:43 AM
I just had a CZ 455 do the very same thing. Discharge when disengaging the safety. No one got heard, muzzle pointed in safe direction. The fix: spring was set far too light.

gitrdun
05-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Old news, a quick google search will reveal rhe effected serial numbers and years of manufacture.The woman killed her son, because she did not practise safe muzzle control. Only an idiot points a loaded firearm at another person depending on the safety to prevent an accidental discharge.

Didn't she shoot him through a horse trailer? which is still no excuse.

Safeties are by far the worse creator of false security.

elkdump
05-16-2017, 08:51 AM
The Remington trigger assembly that got the "bad press " and recall issues actually performs just fine, I owned many Remington's with that beleaguered trigger , they worked fine for me, the real cause of that trigger issue was poor inletting and issues with the stock fitting the action precisely and contamination/oil/varnish ect

But one more example of idiots trying to make some else responsible for their own stupid actions .

elkhunter11
05-16-2017, 09:10 AM
The Remington trigger assembly that got the "bad press " and recall issues actually performs just fine, I owned many Remington's with that beleaguered trigger , they worked fine for me, the real cause of that trigger issue was poor inletting and issues with the stock fitting the action precisely and contamination/oil/varnish ect

But one more example of idiots trying to make some else responsible for their own stupid actions .

I have owned well over a dozen 700s, and I have never had an issue, but I know people that have had issues. But every issue that I know of involved a trigger that had been adjusted by someone that didn't know what they were doing, or was gummed up due to having oil or cleaning solvents being sprayed onto them

Bigstone
05-16-2017, 05:26 PM
No one has mentioned the floating trigger connector that may or may not fully return to the trigger or the fact that the design allows firing with only the trigger spring weight which is a few ounces when the safety is taken off. I have nothing but 700's but consider these design faults. Shilens and Timneys are as good pull wise and can be adjusted lighter safely. Better design in my opinion. I have never seen one of the newer X triggers so cannot comment on them.

Fordevr
05-16-2017, 05:44 PM
I was just messing around with my 30.06 Rem 700 shooting logs at the creek. Then once I pulled the trigger and nothing. I clicked the safety to see if I left it on by mistake and the gun fired.😳 I saw the water splash at the creek so I know I practiced good muzzle control. Got a new trigger and all was good.

gitrdun
05-16-2017, 05:57 PM
I have owned well over a dozen 700s, and I have never had an issue, but I know people that have had issues. But every issue that I know of involved a trigger that had been adjusted by someone that didn't know what they were doing, or was gummed up due to having oil or cleaning solvents being sprayed onto them

Yet that is a common recommendation for a fix of various issues seen right here on this forum.....:thinking-006:

gitrdun
05-16-2017, 05:58 PM

Yet that is a common recommendation for a fix of various issues seen right here on this forum.....:thinking-006: Just spray some crap into the gun and that'll fix 'er. Laughable.

bat119
05-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Yet that is a common recommendation for a fix of various issues seen right here on this forum.....:thinking-006: Just spray some crap into the gun and that'll fix 'er. Laughable.

I helped a guy with his 700 it had a frozen trigger, each year after he fired one or two rounds for hunting season he would pull the bolt and fill the trigger with 3-1 oil. After 10 years or so the trigger wouldn't function it looked like it was full of rubber. He pointed out there was a picture of a gun on the can so it must be good for guns.
:sign0161:

acr
05-17-2017, 08:45 PM
It IS old news. And, in addition to that, if you plan on having the rifle for any length of time any good drop-in trigger replacement replaces that safety anyways. *cough* TriggerTech :)

Thanks. This is helpful as I'm completely green to firearms and there's so much to learn about them. I'll make sure to do some research on TriggerTech. Thanks again.

acr
05-17-2017, 08:48 PM

Thank you for the response. I fully agree with you, the end of that muzzle must be pointed in a safe direction. Loaded or unloaded. Thank you again for replying.

acr
05-17-2017, 08:55 PM
I just had a CZ 455 do the very same thing. Discharge when disengaging the safety. No one got heard, muzzle pointed in safe direction. The fix: spring was set far too light.

Good to know. Thank you

MrSharp
05-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Interesting read.

http://gravelagency.com/index.php/news/83-remington-responds-to-60-minutes

Bigstone
05-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Yet that is a common recommendation for a fix of various issues seen right here on this forum.....:thinking-006: Just spray some crap into the gun and that'll fix 'er. Laughable.A yearly shot of lighter fluid followed by blowing out with compressed air seems to work well. The trigger is cleaned and the slightest lubrication is left. Long recommended by others and has worked well for me for years.