PDA

View Full Version : Kimber or Tikka??

Topwater
05-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Going to buy a 30-06 as my big game rifle. Kimberly Hunter or Tikka t3x??? They are within a 100 dollars for price so pretty much the same. Any opinions?

harv3589
05-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Tikka hands down...

Topwater
05-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Tikka hands down...

Why do you say that?

CanadianEh
05-16-2017, 10:28 AM
*EDIT

just re read what you wrote about the same level of gun..

Go with the Kimber.

morinj
05-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Both great brands, but your kinda comparing apples to oranges, both offer great accuracy guarantee, however the kimber will have a superior finish, this will be at a at a cost, a more fair comparison would be Sako vs Kimber, in which case I would go with the Sako! If you want a great rifle, at a good price, tikka is defanately the way to go, the money you save over the kimber affords you some
pretty nice optics, if money is not a issue, I would recommend you compare the Sako with the kimber! IMO!

harv3589
05-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Why do you say that?

I've had Kimber...i think their finish is not great, action on the last one I bought was anything but smooth and bound when you worked it...that was on a Montana. The only thing Kimber has going for it, is the lightweight feature IMO.

DiabeticKripple
05-16-2017, 10:57 AM
I'm just not sure if the T3x is worth the price over a normal T3

crazy_davey
05-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Kimber hands down...

harv3589
05-16-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm just not sure if the T3x is worth the price over a normal T3

it is, if it means not getting a Kimber ;)

Reason why buying a Kimber has been labelled Kimber Roulette

Pilsner Man
05-16-2017, 11:38 AM
I have both although different models than you listed. Montana and t3 stainless laminate.
Since i bought my Kimber i haven't taken my Tikka out hunting. I guess that says what my preference is. Both shoot better than the factory claims they should.

The Kimber is a nicer gun to handle carry and shoot. Not sure if the difference between the Montana and Hunter would change my opinion on this.

I think the Kimber roulette comments are some onions from years ago. Ive talked to several people who have bought Kimbers in the last 4-5 years and non have had an issue.

fish_e_o
05-16-2017, 11:51 AM
I think the Kimber roulette comments are some onions from years ago. Ive talked to several people who have bought Kimbers in the last 4-5 years and non have had an issue.

i've owned a lot of kimbers and sold a lot of tikkas. i think they're junky and cheap plus the old t3's would wander if it was a heavy recoiling round.

but you can buy a wildcat composites stock for the t3's now. combine that with some of the fixes from the t3x and you might have a nice little gun.

gs100bert
05-16-2017, 12:03 PM
neither get a sako i have had one for 30 years no problems .

Nester
05-16-2017, 05:15 PM
Tikka.

Then again whatever floats your boat. Get some hands on and decided from there.

270person
05-16-2017, 08:31 PM
Going to buy a 30-06 as my big game rifle. Kimberly Hunter or Tikka t3x??? They are within a 100 dollars for price so pretty much the same. Any opinions?

Buy the one that doesn't have a plastic clip and trigger guard. hollow sounding stock, and 22" barrel.

Nester
05-16-2017, 09:05 PM
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Magazine-vs-Clip-Firewoodhoardersclub.jpg

:burp:

gtr
05-17-2017, 09:01 AM
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Magazine-vs-Clip-Firewoodhoardersclub.jpg

Your having a feel better day.:)

fish_e_o
05-17-2017, 09:05 AM

now we're posting pictures of prohibited and illegal 10-22 clips:scared:

SylverCANADA
05-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Tikka - feel & finish good. It's the smooth bolt manipulation that makes it shine for me!

heretohunt
05-17-2017, 10:01 AM
I bought a TIkka in 243, just a stainless and synthetic for a winter coyote/Wolf/chore gun and I am shocked at how accurate it is. It is light to carry and I can't really say I have any complaints. I currently own everything from Remington, Winchester, Sako and Ruger. It may not have the fit and finish of the higher end ones but the trigger and accuracy is every bit as good as anyone of them. I have to think that the tikka T3 is one of the best values out there. I can understand complaints about the hollow stock but other than that there are no problems. I have never heard of the plastic magazine failing ever. If that happens I suppose I will replace it for another plastic one because to get that weight you have to do it somehow.

stob
05-17-2017, 11:30 AM
I bought a TIkka in 243, just a stainless and synthetic for a winter coyote/Wolf/chore gun and I am shocked at how accurate it is. It is light to carry and I can't really say I have any complaints. I currently own everything from Remington, Winchester, Sako and Ruger. It may not have the fit and finish of the higher end ones but the trigger and accuracy is every bit as good as anyone of them. I have to think that the tikka T3 is one of the best values out there. I can understand complaints about the hollow stock but other than that there are no problems. I have never heard of the plastic magazine failing ever. If that happens I suppose I will replace it for another plastic one because to get that weight you have to do it somehow.

I have had the magazine a Tikka 9.3 x 63 Battue fail in cold weather i.e. skipped feeding on 2 occasions same day ... stronger spring may have prevented this..temp -20C

bcpappy
05-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Tikka's I have shot and sold are very accurate, they still don't have the quality of the kimber's I have. The kimber's are just as accurate, much nicer in materials and build quality. It's a question of are you going to be happy with pouring money into a tikka to make it better or be happy with the tupperware furniture? Or buy a kimber and pay more up front? I know every "cheaper made" "value rifle" I have bought in the past got more money thrown at it for me to be happy with it. Once I picked up my Montana, all I did to it was paint over the ugly battleship grey. The classic select doesn't need anything done to it.

Topwater
05-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Got to play touchy-feely with both today and am going with the Kimber. Now need to decide on scope:thinking-006:

Kurt505
05-18-2017, 03:37 AM
Got to play touchy-feely with both today and am going with the Kimber. Now need to decide on scope:thinking-006:

Good choice. If I had a choice between Kimber, Tikka, or Sako, it would be a Kimber. Now for a scope I would most likely go swarovski Z3 3-10x42 and call it done.

last minute
05-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Ruger is good I think but if I had to choose Kimber

270person
05-18-2017, 06:18 AM
now we're posting pictures of prohibited and illegal 10-22 clips:scared:

:lol:

Twobucks
05-18-2017, 08:13 PM
I have a 8400 Montana and I love it. I've considered a Tikka in the past but I would go Kimber again.

One big difference is the action - Tikkas are closed over the top - basically a little slot to eject shells through. If there's a jam or you're cleaning the gun or you empty the magazine and need to get one more round back in there, it will be slower and more awkward. I like the open action on the Kimber - I can get my fingers in there, I can see what is going on in there and it's easy to clean.

I'll let others debate overall quality, but I think they're both good guns.

West O'5
05-14-2018, 12:34 AM
I have a 8400 Montana and I love it. I've considered a Tikka in the past but I would go Kimber again.

One big difference is the action - Tikkas are closed over the top - basically a little slot to eject shells through. If there's a jam or you're cleaning the gun or you empty the magazine and need to get one more round back in there, it will be slower and more awkward. I like the open action on the Kimber - I can get my fingers in there, I can see what is going on in there and it's easy to clean.

I'll let others debate overall quality, but I think they're both good guns.

So in other words,you are saying that by design,the Tikka has an inherently stiffer action and thus likely a greater potential for accurizing?

Bushrat
05-14-2018, 08:18 AM
I've had 7 kimbers and 6 tikkas, still have 3 of each. Had problems with 2 Kimbers, one accuracy problems (a 7-08, early production ones with bad barrels that they quit production for a couple years until they got it figured out), one had extraction issues which was a 2 minute fix myself. Latest ones have been very good. Only had a problem with one of the tikkas, a 25-06 which didn't shoot well, the rest are all very accurate and function perfectly.

WeatherbyFan65
05-14-2018, 05:32 PM
A few things to consider when buying a new rifle is shouldering it to ensure your comfortable with it, what kind of hunting are you doing ? do you need and ultralight rifle ? backpacking or a truck hunting rifle ?

Kimber Hunter- lightweight, controlled Round feed, has a magazine, injection molded stock, a really good adjustable trigger, I haven't heard anyone complain about the accuracy of the new Kimbers, some older ones had issues

I bought a Kimber Montana 6.5CM last year, it shot 1" groups with factory ammo, I had it bedded and the trigger lightened, then it would shoot one hole groups with factory ammo.

Tikka T3x lite, push feed, smooth action, usually very accurate out of the box, lots of options in the T3x Lite model line,

Reality is you can't go wrong with either, you just need to be comfortable with your choice.

Looking forward to seeing your new rifle !

Pathfinder76
05-14-2018, 08:10 PM
If I had both in the safe I’d pack the Kimber 99 times out of 100.

last minute
05-14-2018, 08:22 PM
Kimber or Tikka?? for me i would say neither

Foonus
05-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Tikka's I have shot and sold are very accurate, they still don't have the quality of the kimber's I have. The kimber's are just as accurate, much nicer in materials and build quality. It's a question of are you going to be happy with pouring money into a tikka to make it better or be happy with the tupperware furniture? Or buy a kimber and pay more up front? I know every "cheaper made" "value rifle" I have bought in the past got more money thrown at it for me to be happy with it. Once I picked up my Montana, all I did to it was paint over the ugly battleship grey. The classic select doesn't need anything done to it.

With the Tikka I am choosing to put the money into a solid rifle and "pour my money" into cartridges and actually use it instead.

Scottmisfits
05-14-2018, 08:42 PM
Looking at some good Canadian websites there is less than $150 between them, both being stainless.

I hope to be looking at a hunting rifle soon and I was down to these as well. I’m disappointed that Tikka isn’t offering the stainlessbwalnut anymore but the Kimber composite still has the “classicISH” look to it.

Nyksta
05-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Ruger Hawkeye

6.5 shooter
05-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Which ever one fits you better... Kimbers are nice rifles but they do not fit me...the Tikka's do..So I personally would by the Tikka.

SakoShooter
05-14-2018, 11:11 PM
The Kimber hunter is not a rifle I would buy personally, for $1,250 or so you get a crappy stock and hideous plastic magazine with a whip thin barrel. I have also never bought a Tikka, mainly because every time I get close, it's in a short action cartridge and I balk at the idea of a long action 223 or whatever.

While both rifles have some plastic, including the magazines, the Tikka is a better rifle all round in that price range. Sako is about $1,000 more, so not really comparable imo.

mightybuck
05-14-2018, 11:57 PM
Tikka all of the way mine all shoot better than I can shoot and super reliable.

tony d
05-17-2018, 02:59 PM
Kimber is head and shoulders above the tikka we have both in my safe my son is constantly trying to steal my kimber hunter leave his tikka behind

6.5 shooter
05-17-2018, 06:51 PM
Kimber is head and shoulders above the tikka we have both in my safe my son is constantly trying to steal my kimber hunter leave his tikka behind

In what way(s) is the Kimber so much better ??

Nyksta
05-17-2018, 08:02 PM
In what way(s) is the Kimber so much better ??

Mauser action

AndrewM
05-17-2018, 08:08 PM
There is no comparison in the smoothness of the action of my kimber and my tikka. I would even go as far as saying the kimber is nicer than my sako 85 as well.

Nyksta
05-17-2018, 09:37 PM
There is no comparison in the smoothness of the action of my kimber and my tikka. I would even go as far as saying the kimber is nicer than my sako 85 as well.

The remington 700 style push-feed action came to be because it was cheaper to manufacturer, not because it was better.

Kimber's action with the controlled round feed extractor bar smoothness vs Sako and Tikka push feed is an example of which action type can be polished to a higher quality. Sako does a lot of craftsmanship, and they even try to mimic some of the mauser action ideas, but they are still a push feed and not a mauser action.

Kurt505
05-17-2018, 10:04 PM
I've owned a Tikka T3 ultralight an a Kimber Montana 84L. The Kimber is one of my all time favorite rifles. The Tikka I put a Bell and Carlson stock on but it still didn't feel as good as the Kimber.

Right out of the box I wouldn't want either, but put a high quality stock on them and either one would make a great rifle.

doorout
05-25-2018, 05:53 PM
KIMBER!!!! But it come with a cost

Pathfinder76
05-25-2018, 06:32 PM
Mauser action

Well, not really.

Scottmisfits
05-25-2018, 06:49 PM
I've owned a Tikka T3 ultralight an a Kimber Montana 84L. The Kimber is one of my all time favorite rifles. The Tikka I put a Bell and Carlson stock on but it still didn't feel as good as the Kimber.

Right out of the box I wouldn't want either, but put a high quality stock on them and either one would make a great rifle.

I used to own a Tikka in a wood stock. What about the Tikka or Kimber stocks in particular isn’t up to par?

6.5 shooter
05-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Mauser action

MIGHT ??? be important on a DGR but for most hunters..it is a non starter.

RZR
05-26-2018, 06:58 AM
I just picked up my 5th Kimber. Hunter model chambered in a .280 ai. I payed $1200 for it

Nyksta
05-26-2018, 11:44 AM
MIGHT ??? be important on a DGR but for most hunters..it is a non starter.

The Mauser action style Controlled round feed extractor rib gives the potential for a smoother bolt glide and a much stronger bolt design. And there are less little clips and springs involved. Its a more rugged design.

tony d
05-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Well stock design on the Kimber is a lot nicer triggers are awesome magazines are more robust and they have been more accurate at least the 3 I have are