PDA

View Full Version : Cold Day Coyotes (pics)

GRTWHT
02-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Went out the other day and tried my hand at calling in some coyotes with a predator call. Having had little success with it in the past I was not sure how the day would turn out. After sneeking up on a hill overlooking the river my friend and I spotted a nice coyote slowly making his way toward the cover of the willows bordering the river. A few shots were fired and we had our first coyote on the ground. Feeling pretty proud of ourselves we figured that we should try some calling from atop a hill on the adjacent property. Getting set up I let out my first sequence of rabbit distress calls. We were joking about my terrible delivery on the call when a coyote came bounding up over the hill and stopped at 20 yards, needless to say we had coyote number 2 for the day. Having seen a coyote walk up over a distant hill earlier in the morning we decided to make our way to the hill and set up there for a while. After getting set up I hit the predator call again, and to my surprise we had another coyote heading our way pulling him to within shooting range my friend took aim and cleanly missed him. Frustrated with the miss, but happy with our previous success we packed it in and headed for home to work on the hides of the 2 coyotes in the truck. Having had such a great day I made plans with another friend for the following morning. We had much different weather however with -20 temps combined with blowing snow. I decided that we should re-visit the area where the miss had occured the previous day and try to bring in another coyote with the calls. My partner on this trip however came equiped with his own call and the 2 of us let out a calling sequence which included distress calls coupled with coyote yips and howls. I had never used a Coyote yip or howl call before, but was willing to give it a try given the success of the day before. Not 10 minutes passed before I spotted a coyote making his way toward us, he was comming from a long way off but was definately intent on finding the source of the noise. At 150 yard some deer spooked and ran directly behind the coyote screwing up the shot opportunity, and sending the coyote running out of site. I got back on the distress call once again, but not hopeful that we would ever see this yote again. However within about 30 seconds he too came bounding up over a small rise at about 50 yards and met the end soon after with a well placed shot from my friends 260 Remington. Despite the heavier calibre (for coyotes) the evidence of the shot was barely visable on the hide. Here are the pics from the second days hunt.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/GRTWHT/IMG_3503.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/GRTWHT/IMG_3509.jpg

cool
02-13-2007, 11:46 AM
first one makes for a top day afield, tips on pics for future ones as i'm sure you'll be hooked for good after that, the pics are great but if you really want to show off the coyote then try holding them up by their back feet together in one hand picking them up with their nose pointed to the ground, they look huge that way and you'll be taking way more pics in the future i'm sure, one of those tips i wished i'd gotten sooner rather than later, even if hunting by yourself you can use a fence post or the back of the truck to set the camera on and use the timer feature too, then run over grab the back feet in one hand and hoist him up and the gun in the other hand

congrats and keep the pics coming

hp