PDA

View Full Version : What are these and are they safe to eat?

openfire
05-18-2017, 11:12 PM
My father in law gave me a salmon to smoke. This is the first fish I have ever filleted, forgive me if this is a dumb question.

There are about 20 white lumps near the tail. The picture sucks buy you get the idea.

Isopod
05-19-2017, 12:24 AM
Those look similar to "worms" (parasites) I've found in perch. If it were me, I would cut off the part of the fish with those white lumps so I don't have to deal with them. It would just be a tiny loss on the overall fillet. The rest of the fillet will be fine. The worms or whatever they are would probably be fine too once they are smoked, but who needs the grossness factor?

As for the perch worms I mentioned above, we dug out the white spots with a fillet knife and fried up the de-wormed fillets.

58thecat
05-19-2017, 05:35 AM
Eat it....:scared:

Me I would cut and fling the zists or whatever they are off/out and over the rest to my buddy Mike...you know Mike...he'll eat anything.:)

Grizzly Adams
05-19-2017, 07:33 AM
Eat it....:scared:

Me I would cut and fling the zists or whatever they are off/out and over the rest to my buddy Mike...you know Mike...he'll eat anything.:)

I'd be careful, no fish based sushi for me.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/doctors-warn-sushi-eaters-of-parasite-in-raw-fish-1.3410982

Grizz

walking buffalo
05-19-2017, 11:08 AM
I'd be careful, no fish based sushi for me.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/doctors-warn-sushi-eaters-of-parasite-in-raw-fish-1.3410982

Grizz

Most fish destined for sushi is frozen as a measure to kill parasites.
It is the law in Alberta. "Freeze seafood products to be served raw –20°C for 7 days, or below –35°C for 15 hours, prior to service to destroy parasites that might be present."

If you give up sushi over this, might as well give up all food. The same concerns of poor food handling exists for beef and spinach and crickets.

No need to give up this awesome food, just eat it a reputable place.

OP, pick or cut out the cysts, or not. Freeze the fish first or hot smoke it before eating.

58thecat
05-19-2017, 12:49 PM
cuz they will pop in your mouth..:scared0015:

Sundancefisher
05-19-2017, 12:57 PM
cuz they will pop in your mouth..:scared0015:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2015/08/post_197.html

"afflicted with Henneguya Salminicola, an unusual but not uncommon parasitic condition known more commonly as "tapioca," or "rice" disease."

Worm
05-19-2017, 05:52 PM
I've run into this in Coho a few times. As long as they are cooked no problem, but they do look nasty. I never knowingly eat them and just rim them out. Cut them out, cook it up and you'll be fine. I probably wouldn't smoke unless you get the temp fairly high to make sure it is killed, which could impact the finish product.

Sundancefisher
05-19-2017, 07:56 PM
I've run into this in Coho a few times. As long as they are cooked no problem, but they do look nasty. I never knowingly eat them and just rim them out. Cut them out, cook it up and you'll be fine. I probably wouldn't smoke unless you get the temp fairly high to make sure it is killed, which could impact the finish product.

Not something that can hurt you. Don't fret. Read my link.

waterninja
05-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Most fish destined for sushi is frozen as a measure to kill parasites.
It is the law in Alberta. "Freeze seafood products to be served raw –20°C for 7 days, or below –35°C for 15 hours, prior to service to destroy parasites that might be present."

If you give up sushi over this, might as well give up all food. The same concerns of poor food handling exists for beef and spinach and crickets.

No need to give up this awesome food, just eat it a reputable place.

OP, pick or cut out the cysts, or not. Freeze the fish first or hot smoke it before eating.
I agree with WB. just eat the darn things, or better yet, let someone else eat them. What's the worst that can happen?
Personally, I would just cut off the tainted end and smoke the rest. Why risk it?

58thecat
05-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Not something that can hurt you. Don't fret. Read my link.

You go first...pops in your mouth...now swish it around...and swallow:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am laughing just thinking about it:)

Kinda like fear factor.:scared0015:

Sundancefisher
05-20-2017, 07:50 AM
You go first...pops in your mouth...now swish it around...and swallow:sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am laughing just thinking about it:)

Kinda like fear factor.:scared0015:

Lol.

Most people cut tha portion out and cook. No issues. If you do eat one...won't hurt you.

Kinda like a mini prairie oyster eh. Lol