05-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Does any one know what up with this fish?!?'

Was seen on the bow river

goldscud
05-21-2017, 07:51 AM
Probably fungus growing

CNP
05-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Whirling disease attacks the head and skeletal system of juvenile salmonids........before calcification of the skeletal system. This doesn't like typical whirling disease. How big was that fish?

ReconWilly
05-21-2017, 10:38 AM
I was there and witnessed this fish as well, it was in the 14"-16" range.

He was swimming around in a side pool like it was his goldfish bowl.

He may have been blinded because i got in the water and he was not spooked, he swam right beside me several times...either he couldn't see me or was looking for help...

It was a sad sight, i thought he may have had some plastic caught on his head but it proved to be either scar tissue or some kind of infection or mold...

Imagehunter
05-21-2017, 11:35 AM
That pectoral fin also looks weird, was there also something growing on that or is it just some leaf in the water that caught onto it? Might be worth sending to F&W, even if it's not a disease of concern they might know what that is.

vital shok
05-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Maybe The Ick it looks like the ick fungus

ReconWilly
05-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Pictures and information/location were forwarded to fish and wildlife by the op.

The rest of the fish was visually healthy.

Never seen anything like it, it looked like his brain was on the outside of his skull, i would've done anything to help the fish, not knowing what if anything to do left a feeling of helplessness...maybe f&w will provide some insight, i will let the op know to post any updates.

scel
05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
I was there and witnessed this fish as well, it was in the 14"-16" range.

He was swimming around in a side pool like it was his goldfish bowl.

He may have been blinded because i got in the water and he was not spooked, he swam right beside me several times...either he couldn't see me or was looking for help...

It was a sad sight, i thought he may have had some plastic caught on his head but it proved to be either scar tissue or some kind of infection or mold...

It is probably sapro. Sadly, it is a naturally occurring fungus in the brown trout habitat. A few years ago, the browns in the Bow river (mostly the big ones) were infected by it.

http://www.cochraneeagle.com/Continued-education-is-important-for-all-types-of-anglers-20130102

ReconWilly
05-21-2017, 02:55 PM
That pectoral fin also looks weird, was there also something growing on that or is it just some leaf in the water that caught onto it? Might be worth sending to F&W, even if it's not a disease of concern they might know what that is.

The fish rubbed some off of his head and it got caught on his fin.

It seemed only the head and the whole head was affected.

i love fishing
05-21-2017, 04:21 PM
which part of the bow r was it

Fishnewbiee
05-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Policemen flats area

Bhflyfisher
05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
saprolegniasis. It's been around for a while.

BowBoy75
05-22-2017, 11:27 PM
Holy crap! What are the chances we saw the exact same brown? This one was more up river though, by fish creek park.
I scooped it up with my net to have a closer look. It had almost like a goldfish head with scabs on one side. Didnt know if I should have put it out of its misery or not but ended up just letting it go.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170523/75ce099a957bee629cfebabea0053565.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

matt1984
05-23-2017, 11:36 AM
Definitely Sapro, killed most of the big browns a few years ago.

goldscud
05-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Fungus usually shows up as a secondary infection

muzzy
05-23-2017, 04:09 PM
looks like a teenaged trout so its called zits

walking buffalo
05-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Fungus usually shows up as a secondary infection

After being hooked.

Kurt505
05-24-2017, 07:36 PM
After being hooked.

So tha is caused by the catch and release crowd?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

ETOWNCANUCK
05-24-2017, 08:26 PM
what is the ethical thing to do in these cases?

if you come across a fish in a state other than normal in a similar fashion?

is it just release it and report to F&W,
or can one remove the fish from the water and bring it to them or otherwise dispose of it in any way?

or does catch and release or limits blanket over that?

would affected fish not go on to infect other fish?

JareS
05-24-2017, 08:39 PM
what is the ethical thing to do in these cases?

if you come across a fish in a state other than normal in a similar fashion?

is it just release it and report to F&W,
or can one remove the fish from the water and bring it to them or otherwise dispose of it in any way?

or does catch and release or limits blanket over that?

would affected fish not go on to infect other fish?

Without a scientific collection permit or something of the like, you would be leaving yourself open to being charged and having to prove your innocence in court.

CO's can't 'take a person's word' that they were breaking the rules for a good cause due to protocol

Edit- not to mention, the CO's at the office still might not be impressed that someone brought a fish in from C&R waters. If you found a dead specimen thats another story and you are encouraged to bring it in