PDA

View Full Version : CCI .22 quiet ammunition

Alberta Record Holder
05-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Where can I buy CCI .22 quiet ammunition in Edmonton?

Thanks

TrollGRG
05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
I picked a bunch up at Canadian Tire but that was a couple of years ago.

buck403
05-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Wholesale sports Carrys them

3blade
05-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Both cabelas locations have it every time I'm in either one

Alberta Record Holder
05-21-2017, 12:36 PM

gitrdun
05-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is "quiet" ammunition". Are we talking .22 shorts here? When I want quiet ammunition (even .22LR), I wear ear plugs and crank up the tunes. :)

Puma
05-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but what is "quiet" ammunition". Are we talking .22 shorts here? When I want quiet ammunition (even .22LR), I wear ear plugs and crank up the tunes. :)

CCI Quiet - .22 LR Segmented HP. 710 FPS. 40 gr.
75% less perceived noise than a standard .22 LR. Segmented HP delivers superior stopping power,on impact bullet separates into three equal parts.

They really are quite quiet. Point of impact is lower. Sounds like a pellet gun.

saddleup
05-21-2017, 09:46 PM
why no just shoot shorts ?

Puma
05-21-2017, 09:49 PM
why no just shoot shorts ?

I would say these are quieter than a .22 short, and better terminal performance with the segmented bullet type.

Pioneer2
05-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Federal CB longs for grouse.......no sub-sonic crack.

morinj
05-22-2017, 12:17 AM
I was wondering if anybody found that, the quiet .22 rounds don't feed well threw their semi automatics, do to the lack of charge!?!

Dean2
05-22-2017, 01:07 AM
Gitrdun

CCI makes short, long and long rifle in quiet and CB. Beyond info above, other advantage to Quiet LR is they are way more accurate in the LR chambered rifles and tend to feed and eject better. Shorts tend to feed poorly from many magazines and tend to be very erratic accuracy wise unless they are used in the old rifles short only chambers. Also, the quiet ammo is quieter than most shorts and shoot a heavier better expanding bullet.Unlike info above I have never seen it with a Hollow Point of Segmenting bullet, on 40 grain RN, hope that is new as it would work excellent.

P.S. Just checked CCI site and it lists segmented. Gonna have to pick some up.

Pioneer2
05-22-2017, 06:23 AM
I was wondering if anybody found that, the quiet .22 rounds don't feed well threw their semi automatics, do to the lack of charge!?!
This is why there is no-subsonic crack...loaded light.....and out of a semi they are going to be as noisy as a regular .22 LR...defeats the purpose....Harold

Alberta Record Holder
05-22-2017, 08:59 AM
I ended up buying two different rounds.

Quiet-22LR segmented HP 40 grain 710 FPS

Stinger 22R 1640 FPS 32 grain also HP

MAIN reason for wanting the quiet is because I recently purchased
a chiapa little badger 22LR
It's the smallest. 22lr I have ever seen. Folds in half. Gonna pack it in my backpack while elk hunting. Harvest some grouse while walking lines. Want it pretty quiet as to not scare other game in area.

gitrdun
05-22-2017, 10:23 AM
Gitrdun

CCI makes short, long and long rifle in quiet and CB. Beyond info above, other advantage to Quiet LR is they are way more accurate in the LR chambered rifles and tend to feed and eject better. Shorts tend to feed poorly from many magazines and tend to be very erratic accuracy wise unless they are used in the old rifles short only chambers. Also, the quiet ammo is quieter than most shorts and shoot a heavier better expanding bullet.Unlike info above I have never seen it with a Hollow Point of Segmenting bullet, on 40 grain RN, hope that is new as it would work excellent.

P.S. Just checked CCI site and it lists segmented. Gonna have to pick some up.

Thanks for the information Dean2. I am still a bit confused though as I've never heard or seen them. What makes them "quiet"? Is it the fact that they are sub-sonic? I use some Federal Gold Match in my target pistol. These are sub-sonic and accurate but not entirely quiet so to speak. :)

MrSharp
05-22-2017, 11:00 AM
Think of quiets as the powder charge of a shirt in a long rifle case, but as mentioned above feed nicer in a magazine gun plus more accurate as they seat closer to the lands.

Dean2
05-22-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the information Dean2. I am still a bit confused though as I've never heard or seen them. What makes them "quiet"? Is it the fact that they are sub-sonic? I use some Federal Gold Match in my target pistol. These are sub-sonic and accurate but not entirely quiet so to speak. :)

You should try some, They are actually quieter than an air gun, and quieter than most people talking. A suppressed 22 Hi-vel is still louder than these. Dry firing many centre fires is actually louder than this ammo. You can shoot them in your garage and you won't hear them outside. They shoot a very light charge with a heavy 40 grain bullet at 760 FPS. They are much slower than most subsonic which are around 1000-1100 fps. The small volume of gas produced is held back in a long barrelled 22 long enough that the crack of ignition is not heard and there is basically just a woosh as it exits the barrel.

Good article on the ammo.

http://www.thegunmag.com/silencing-without-silencer-meet-ccis-quiet-22-rimfire/

firestorm79
05-22-2017, 12:17 PM
This is why there is no-subsonic crack...loaded light.....and out of a semi they are going to be as noisy as a regular .22 LR...defeats the purpose....Harold

They are actually much quieter in a semi than standard or high velocity LR ammo. At 710 fps they are subsonic and do not produce supersonic shock waves.

gmathers2
05-24-2017, 08:27 AM
I saw a bunch of boxes of the quiet rounds at the Canadian Tire by Cabelas south yesterday.

gitrdun
05-24-2017, 02:53 PM
You should try some, They are actually quieter than an air gun, and quieter than most people talking. A suppressed 22 Hi-vel is still louder than these. Dry firing many centre fires is actually louder than this ammo. You can shoot them in your garage and you won't hear them outside. They shoot a very light charge with a heavy 40 grain bullet at 760 FPS. They are much slower than most subsonic which are around 1000-1100 fps. The small volume of gas produced is held back in a long barrelled 22 long enough that the crack of ignition is not heard and there is basically just a woosh as it exits the barrel.

Good article on the ammo.

http://www.thegunmag.com/silencing-without-silencer-meet-ccis-quiet-22-rimfire/

I just picked up a box of CCI from Fly's Etc. in High River. They have bricks of those.

Dean2
05-24-2017, 07:14 PM
I just picked up a box of CCI from Fly's Etc. in High River. They have bricks of those.

Let us know what you think after you try them. My bet is you will be amazed at how quiet they are. Sort of like T Boss loads with heavy bullets in bigger Centre fires. No one believes how little noise they make till they try them.

Pioneer2
05-24-2017, 10:11 PM
They are actually much quieter in a semi than standard or high velocity LR ammo. At 710 fps they are subsonic and do not produce supersonic shock waves.

But much quieter in a BA,pump or any action that doesn't upon upon firing.What they were designed for.Used them for years.

The Flint&Fly Guy
05-24-2017, 11:52 PM
They are very quiet in my 10-22 as they don't open the action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcampenot
05-25-2017, 10:44 AM
I bought some at Cabelas Southside Edmonton just last week. They are awesome and quiet, but don't work with semi-auto actions. I have them in my T-bolt and they are amazing.

WesternAlien
05-25-2017, 12:44 PM
Just recently used them to troubleshoot the action (had to carefully listen to all the clicks inside, so wearing ear protection was out of question). Actual shots were WAY quieter than from some of my air pistols! Without sacrificing any accuracy at 50m.

jdf96ca
05-25-2017, 02:30 PM
why use quiets at all .22 is not loud at all in my opinion sow what would one use the quiet amo for?

Puma
05-25-2017, 02:37 PM
why use quiets at all .22 is not loud at all in my opinion sow what would one use the quiet amo for?

Shhhhhhhh.... dont ask, dont tell.

WesternAlien
05-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Probably not a particular CCI quiet brand, but there is another, even quieter .22 type (don't remember the exact name) that is only about 700-800 fps. In the field, unlikely good for anything beyond 50 m (because of wind) - but in your basement... :D Well illegal of course, but equally well unenforceable :sHa_shakeshout:

jdf96ca
05-29-2017, 11:57 AM
Shhhhhhhh.... dont ask, dont tell.

Hahah ok 10/4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk