PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert

galspal
05-23-2017, 03:25 PM
Hey Everyone,

Am heading to Rupert next week and was wondering if anyone had heard how the fishing was, or cared to offer any tips!

Thanks!!!

338 Rules
05-23-2017, 03:29 PM
I can give you an awesome tip on the guide I go with, always limit out and have a ton of fun! Feel free to PM me if you would like the particulars :)

Robins36
05-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Be sure to let us all know how you did. I'm also heading out fishing June 9-14 near Port McNeil.

fishhawk1850
05-25-2017, 09:06 PM
We were just up there on the long weekend to drop off the trailer for the summer . I had a quick talk with a friend that guides up there, they had been out for 2 days and had landed quite a few smaller Chinook 8-12 lb and about 6 in the high 20's - low 30's . Prawns are plentiful as well as crab . We will be back up June 4th for 5 weeks should be picking up by then.

Tactical Lever
05-25-2017, 09:47 PM
If you have some time, go to Haida Gwaii and explore. If you have a decent 4x4, go up to Rose Spit.

Ken07AOVette
05-25-2017, 10:24 PM
I am going next week too, have never had a bad trip. This is my fifth year fishing there, 3rd on my own boat. Are you taking your boat or using a charter service?
I am hoping we get some great weather, will head North off Dundas into Alaska and see of we can get an extra 2 halibut each. Woohoo!

arrow dog
05-25-2017, 11:03 PM
There's six of us heading up end of July for a five day/four night trip on"Ocean Star" out of Prince Rupert. Two of us have fished for salmon and halibut before, while 4 have never been on the ocean. Should be a good trip. Done it once before and had a blast! Great captain and crew.:)

Tofinoguy
05-26-2017, 06:20 AM
I am going next week too, have never had a bad trip. This is my fifth year fishing there, 3rd on my own boat. Are you taking your boat or using a charter service?
I am hoping we get some great weather, will head North off Dundas into Alaska and see of we can get an extra 2 halibut each. Woohoo!

You may want to re think those extra Halibut if you're bringing them back in Canada....

58thecat
05-26-2017, 06:48 AM
You may want to re think those extra Halibut if you're bringing them back in Canada....

Eat them on the boat...then come back over to Kanada.:)

conan
05-26-2017, 07:03 AM

Careful crossing into American waters without the right paper work

Ken07AOVette
05-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Believe it or not Tofinoguy, I follow the laws. Do not ever think you will find anything illegal on in or around any vehicle vessel or property owned by me.

I;

-have USA license, all Canadian identification (as always)
-notify USA where and when I am crossing
-make sure all safety gear to code (as always)
(passport on board in case I have to make port, if I have to make port there I will be in real trouble, port is a LONG way off)
-I was told by the US office 'if fish caught take pictures of landmarks, GPS coordinates, lat long off fishfinder with fish, write down all information immediately on US License' and Verified by Canadian side.
-if boarded, have dual licenses with proof (see above)
I talked to Canada and USA about this, not going in blind hoping to sneak across. I spent a lot of time researching this.

Careful crossing into American waters without the right paper work

Would not even think about it.

Dark
05-26-2017, 11:37 AM
Good Info Ken thanks. How much is the US license?
I always thought once you crossed you had to head straight to customs

warriorboy10
05-26-2017, 12:15 PM

K, will you be staying on your boat?

Ken07AOVette
05-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Good Info Ken thanks. How much is the US license?
I always thought once you crossed you had to head straight to customs

My pleasure!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=sportlicense.prices
Nonresident 1 Day Sport Fishing License $25.00
Nonresident 3 Day Sport Fishing License $45.00
Nonresident 7 Day Sport Fishing License $70.00
Nonresident 14 Day Sport Fishing License $105.00
Nonresident Annual Sport Fishing License $145.00

Nonresident King Salmon & Duck Stamps:
Nonresident 1 Day King Salmon Stamp $15.00
Nonresident 3 Day King Salmon Stamp $30.00
Nonresident 7 Day King Salmon Stamp $45.00
Nonresident 14 Day King Salmon Stamp $75.00
Nonresident Annual King Salmon Stamp $100.00

Fishing Alaska waters from Rupert is only a few miles North of Dundas where we regularly fish. Imagine just a few minutes to a whole new possession limit!

Ken07AOVette
05-26-2017, 06:39 PM
K, will you be staying on your boat?

I am not making port or staying over in Alaska. I could if I wanted to, have head, berth, refrigerator, cooking appliances but I prefer taking the fish back to the processor daily.

Why?

skidderman
05-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Believe it or not Tofinoguy, I follow the laws. Do not ever think you will find anything illegal on in or around any vehicle vessel or property owned by me.

I;

(passport on board in case I have to make port, if I have to make port there I will be in real trouble, port is a LONG way off)
-I was told by the US office 'if fish caught take pictures of landmarks, GPS coordinates, lat long off fishfinder with fish, write down all information immediately on US License' and Verified by Canadian side.
I talked to Canada and USA about this, not going in blind hoping to sneak across. I spent a lot of time researching this.

Jealousy will get me no where. Enjoy Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken07AOVette
05-26-2017, 08:21 PM
Jealousy will get me no where. Enjoy Ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you been out?

If not, why not?

Get out there, it is awesome!

Fishhunter
05-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Ken I would like to go up to winter inlet. Have you been up that way?

Ken07AOVette
05-26-2017, 11:02 PM
Ken I would like to go up to winter inlet. Have you been up that way?

I have not. Interesting place, looks tight. What have you heard about it? I had to look it up on the navionics webapp.

I definately want to hit Zayas next week. I dragged hardware around Finlayson last year, nothing at all. Big bay produces crab, no fish for me though yet.

I want to hit Lord Islands and Fleece rock IF we get flat calm for a day.

Kurt505
05-26-2017, 11:12 PM
I have not. Interesting place, looks tight. What have you heard about it? I had to look it up on the navionics webapp.

I definately want to hit Zayas next week. I dragged hardware around Finlayson last year, nothing at all. Big bay produces crab, no fish for me though yet.

I heard there is good halibut fishing in there.

Ken07AOVette
05-26-2017, 11:45 PM
I heard there is good halibut fishing in there.

I have a great Hali spot :) or 2

Fishhunter
05-27-2017, 06:03 AM

I just heard it was great crabbing up there. We stay on the boat so thought it might be a good place to tour around.

Lord islands looks awesome, need a flat day for sure. Hard to beat Dundas I just wish there was good crabbing close to it.

My brother did very well at zayas last year for big coho. I tried east devil rock north of zayas last year and it was great bottom fishing. The celestial reef south west of zayas is suppose to be the ultimate bottom fishing spot for big everything but it's a long haul.

We were out there 2 weeks ago working on the boat heard the salmon fishing was pretty good around humpback. We did go out for a couple hours,didn't try for salmon but did get our limit of Hali's.

Good luck out there this year, be safe, and let me know how it's going.

Reeves1
05-27-2017, 06:18 AM
One of the things I liked about Rupert was when it's too rough out farther is you can catch Ling & all others within site of the Ferry dock.

I used charts & looked for structure(s) and caught Hali, all kinds of Rock Fish.....and set my crab trap so I could keep an eye on it & catch Red Rock/Dungeness , depending on the type of bottom setting on.

Lived there one summer, before moving to Sandspit for 3 years....

338 Rules
05-27-2017, 06:26 AM

Last year two of us caught 35 halibut in one day in that area on the Canadian side, was that ever fun! :)

One of the things I liked about Rupert was when it's too rough out farther is you can catch Ling & all others within site of the Ferry dock.

I used charts & looked for structure(s) and caught Hali, all kinds of Rock Fish.....and set my crab trap so I could keep an eye on it & catch Red Rock/Dungeness , depending on the type of bottom setting on.

Lived there one summer, before moving to Sandspit for 3 years....

Are those Dungeness crab Amazing when you cook them up immediately or what!

13mileranch
05-27-2017, 07:03 AM

Ken do you take some prawn traps out and get some? I had the pleasure of getting some from a friend who was out there last year. They were the best I've ever eaten!!

Ken07AOVette
05-27-2017, 08:53 AM
Ken do you take some prawn traps out and get some? I had the pleasure of getting some from a friend who was out there last year. They were the best I've ever eaten!!

We prawned last year in tuck inlet but no luck. 2 strings of 4 traps and got maybe 30.
I am definitely going after dungeness this year. I am actually making a cannon Scotty conversion plate right now for a Scotty trap puller.

Ken07AOVette
05-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Last year two of us caught 35 halibut in one day in that area on the Canadian side, was that ever fun! :)
Are those Dungeness crab Amazing when you cook them up immediately or what!

thats crazy!!! 4 more days.....
And yes, when I stayed at the lodge the dungeness were edible, that's all. The fresh ones though......... they were better than any snow or king crab I have ever had, at foody goody, red lobster, crab shack, hawaii, anywhere. I could live on them!

338 Rules
05-27-2017, 10:10 AM
thats crazy!!! 4 more days.....
And yes, when I stayed at the lodge the dungeness were edible, that's all. The fresh ones though......... they were better than any snow or king crab I have ever had, at foody goody, red lobster, crab shack, hawaii, anywhere. I could live on them!

No Kidding eh! I ate 4 big ones in one sitting, the meat was so sweet and delicious and like you said better then anything you get at restaurants, even way better then the King Crab at The Keg. :)

58thecat
05-27-2017, 11:35 PM

I;

Good to know I believe tofinoguy was just throwing out a friendly reminder is all and then your addition only helps those thinking of a similar adventure.

Ken07AOVette
05-30-2017, 04:07 PM
And the countdown is on. 12 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. 29 28 27 26 24...

338 Rules
05-30-2017, 04:12 PM
And the countdown is on. 12 hours 53 minutes 30 seconds. 29 28 27 26 24...

I am happy for you man, please post all the pictures!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
05-30-2017, 07:44 PM
I am happy for you man, please post all the pictures!!!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Im hoping i don't have time for pics!
Although there are 2 gopros on the hard top and I am taking a drone. I want to see how the Dji Mavic does over the big bath tub.

338 Rules
05-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Im hoping i don't have time for pics!
Although there are 2 gopros on the hard top and I am taking a drone. I want to see how the Dji Mavic does over the big bath tub.

LMAO, I hear you M8, kill em!

And don't forget to eat as much crab out of the ocean as possible. I honestly believe that when I am dying (eventually) I will be reliving those feasts, along with other things hehe.

Best of luck :)

Ken07AOVette
06-11-2017, 11:56 AM
Just got back yesterday. We missed the flat calm, 21c windless week by 1 day. My buddy was there a week ahead of us, limited out instantly. When we got there it started raining and gale force wind warnings everywhere. It rained every single day except for 1. The Springs were nowhere to be found, boats that generally report full limits for 4-5 guests had maybe 2-3 total after looking all day. Every day.
I finally broke the halibut stink, after catching a HUGE skate I landed halibut, which was great because I was skunked last year. I got my limit on hali and 1 short on crabs, the 3 of us brought home 5 hali, 4 springs, 23 beautiful dungeness crabs, 2 cod.
I am sure looking forward to July 1 for the next trip, need to wipe some more species off the bucket list.
It was great having supper and sharing info with Travis, see you in a couple weeks Sir!

338 Rules
06-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Pictures or it never happened! :)

Did you keep the skate? The wing meat has the same texture and tastes exactly like scallops.

astepanuk
06-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Hey Ken sounds like a pretty amazing trip 34 springs doesn't sound to shabby we were there probably the same time fishing was fairly steady. But we did have to fish through some 4-6ft seas. How does one manage to bring 34 springs home just curious as I'd defiantly like to bring more then 4 per person are you able to keep more if you fish for more then a certain amount of time.

Tofinoguy
06-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Just got back yesterday. We missed the flat calm, 21c windless week by 1 day. My buddy was there a week ahead of us, limited out instantly. When we got there it started raining and gale force wind warnings everywhere. It rained every single day except for 1. The Springs were nowhere to be found, boats that generally report full limits for 4-5 guests had maybe 2-3 total after looking all day. Every day.
I finally broke the halibut stink, after catching a HUGE skate I landed halibut, which was great because I was skunked last year. I got my limit on hali and 1 short on crabs, the 3 of us brought home 5 hali, 34 springs, 23 beautiful dungeness crabs, 2 cod.
I am sure looking forward to July 1 for the next trip, need to wipe some more species off the bucket list.
It was great having supper and sharing info with Travis, see you in a couple weeks Sir!
The possession limit for 3 persons on Chinooks (springs) is 12 not 34. Hope that was a typo

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 09:00 AM
The possession limit for 3 persons on Chinooks (springs) is 12 not 34. Hope that was a typo

Was thinking the same thing? Also travel limit on Coho's is 8 :thinking-006:

Dark
06-12-2017, 09:48 AM
I'm guessing 24 and coho.
I hope the springs are around in two weeks.
We might see ya out there Ken.

Marty S
06-12-2017, 04:46 PM
Well he did elude to the fact that the fishing sucked big time for everybody, but had he got 34 chinooks, he would have been beaming like the west coast champ... mind you I think ole Davey boy has that title sewn up???

Maybe he only got 3 or 4?

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 05:10 PM
4 springs

Robb caught them all, I was skunked on them

All I brought home was 2 hali, 11 crab

Dark
06-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Tough fishin.
I guess you never made it north?
I'm hoping some Springs are around at the end of the month.
We are spending a few days in the Khutzeymateen
Inlet then 3 or 4 days around Melville/Dundas island, living on the hook

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 08:17 PM
I didn't go up past Dundas, no. We were really constrained by the waves, and with my friend along that has a bad time with big waves, we really had to watch where we went. I can tell you one thing, if I got seasick, I would never go twice. He is a tough man.

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 08:21 PM
I didn't go up past Dundas, no. We were really constrained by the waves, and with my friend along that has a bad time with big waves, we really had to watch where we went. I can tell you one thing, if I got seasick, I would never go twice. He is a tough man.

Rough seas mess up the best fisherman's dreams, best not to temp fate.

Prince Rupert waters are treacherous I believe they are ranked in the top three on earth in terms of deadliest, you gotta hit it right!

Marty S
06-12-2017, 08:48 PM

And here's I thought the possession limit was two daily limits of 2 chinooks per day? How do you get 1.5 chinooks per day for a possession limit of 3??? Tofino guy you are making my head go all haywire?!!??

Davey, do you concur or strongly disagree???

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Pictures or it never happened! :)

Did you keep the skate? The wing meat has the same texture and tastes exactly like scallops.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170610_163816_zpssjlq96av.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170610_163816_zpssjlq96av.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170607_144135_zpsibdjyaaw.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170607_144135_zpsibdjyaaw.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170607_124913_zpssoomoimd.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170607_124913_zpssoomoimd.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170602_212555_zpsfw0rudk6.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170602_212555_zpsfw0rudk6.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170602_182647_zpsn3zm3daq.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170602_182647_zpsn3zm3daq.jpg.html)

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 08:57 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170610_163816_zpssjlq96av.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170610_163816_zpssjlq96av.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170607_144135_zpsibdjyaaw.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170607_144135_zpsibdjyaaw.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170607_124913_zpssoomoimd.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170607_124913_zpssoomoimd.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170602_212555_zpsfw0rudk6.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170602_212555_zpsfw0rudk6.jpg.html)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/Fishing/20170602_182647_zpsn3zm3daq.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/KbxSrx/media/Fishing/20170602_182647_zpsn3zm3daq.jpg.html)

Awesome! Did you keep the Skate?

Serengeti Charters
06-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Three people times 4 possession is 12 Marty. FT had it right

Marty S
06-12-2017, 09:11 PM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/coyklr/fe38d722-1d8c-40dd-80f0-f46615d13141_zpsgqhlyv9m.png (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/coyklr/media/fe38d722-1d8c-40dd-80f0-f46615d13141_zpsgqhlyv9m.png.html)

(Dang, my giffy didn't work)

Marty S
06-12-2017, 09:12 PM
I know... har har har!

Thanks for the Picts Ken

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 09:27 PM
Awesome! Did you keep the Skate?

I didn't, found out long after I released it about the fake scallop thing. Next one though...

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 09:34 PM
I didn't, found out long after I released it about the fake scallop thing. Next one though...

Man that sucks!

Next time keep it and this is what you do.

Skin the wings, then use a circular cookie cutter and punch wholes in the meat so they look like scallops then cook them the same way you cook scallops you will be very happy you did. Tastes better than any scallops you will ever buy in Alberta! :)

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 09:58 PM
Man that sucks!

Next time keep it and this is what you do.

Skin the wings, then use a circular cookie cutter and punch wholes in the meat so they look like scallops then cook them the same way you cook scallops you will be very happy you did. Tastes better than any scallops you will ever buy in Alberta! :)

We figured the size to be in the 100-130lb range. Any idea what the wings would weigh? How much meat can you get off them?
I actually honestly don't know if I could though, it brings to mind 'shark tail soup' or similar where they throw away the rest of the animal, that just is not me.

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 10:09 PM
We figured the size to be in the 100-130lb range. Any idea what the wings would weigh? How much meat can you get off them?
I actually honestly don't know if I could though, it brings to mind 'shark tail soup' or similar where they throw away the rest of the animal, that just is not me.

That is an interesting question Ken07AOVette!

When I kept the last one I killed, my friend said how could you do that? I looked at him puzzled since he has killed thousands of fish over his lifetime.

What is the difference between killing a Chinook Salmon or a 150 lbs. halibut or a 2 lb. crab over a Pacific Skate, please tell me?

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 10:33 PM
That is an interesting question Ken07AOVette!

When I kept the last one I killed, my friend said how could you do that? I looked at him puzzled since he has killed thousands of fish over his lifetime.

What is the difference between killing a Chinook Salmon over a Pacific Skate, please tell me?

I have seen countless Salmon. Pinks, coho, springs. We caught and returned 300 pinks and coho salmon in 5 days last year.

In 5 years of fishing Rupert, I have seen 1 Skate. Lots of guys I have talked to that have fished there for years have never seen 1.

Plus, I thought I made it clear in my last reply, eluding to shark fin soup where the rest of the animal is tossed just for the fins. Guess not?

I do not know that I could kill one if I happen to catch 1 again, they are pretty damn rare for what I have seen. I have not caught an octopus yet, and guarantee unless it grabs my boat I won't kill it if possible to release.

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 10:47 PM
I have seen countless Salmon. Pinks, coho, springs. We caught and returned 300 pinks and coho salmon in 5 days last year.

In 5 years of fishing Rupert, I have seen 1 Skate. Lots of guys I have talked to that have fished there for years have never seen 1.

Plus, I thought I made it clear in my last reply, eluding to shark fin soup where the rest of the animal is tossed just for the fins. Guess not?

I do not know that I could kill one if I happen to catch 1 again, they are pretty damn rare for what I have seen. I have not caught an octopus yet, and guarantee unless it grabs my boat I won't kill it if possible to release.

OK interesting concept! So I guess what you are saying is that you will not kill or eat a fish unless you catch them in abundance?

Just out of curiosity, do you eat the heads of the salmon you catch? I am not trying to be a BITA, I just want to understand your point of view. By the way I have caught octopus, they are delicious :)

My point of view is very simple, I am an apex predator and meat eater, best stay out of my way if you are tasty, especially when I am hungry! :)

Ken07AOVette
06-12-2017, 10:56 PM
OK interesting concept! So I guess what you are saying is that you will not kill or eat a fish unless you catch them in abundance?

Just out of curiosity, do you eat the heads of the salmon you catch? I am not trying to be a BITA, I just want to understand your point of view. By the way I have caught octopus, they are delicious :)

My point of view is very simple, I am an apex predator and meat eater, best stay out of my way if you are tasty, especially when I am hungry! :)

No, I do not eat salmon heads, do you? Where is head eating mentioned anywhere?

338 Rules
06-12-2017, 11:00 PM
No, I do not eat salmon heads, do you? Where is head eating mentioned anywhere?

Don't worry about it, I am happy you had a great trip!

To me the most scenic and most beautiful drive in Canada is from Terrace to Prince Rupert, spectacular! :)

madshawn
06-14-2017, 04:04 AM
Hey Guys,

I live in Prince Rupert, If anyone needs a few good spots for Spring Salmon and Coho I'd be happy to help out.

My father in law is also a very reputable charter guide in Prince Rupert. He owns a beautiful 28ft Grady White islander. He is also an avid hunter.

Cheers

Marty S
06-14-2017, 07:57 AM
Some people make soup out of the heads... sounds icky. I take my most impressive heads home and impale them on fence posts out in the pasture and sun dry them, then I can look a thing them for years to come! Poor mans taxidermy. I gotta bring some snapper and ling heads home this year. I'm gonna have to stick some coon traps underneath so the ignorant coons don't have their way with them.

338 Rules
06-14-2017, 08:26 AM
Some people make soup out of the heads... sounds icky. I take my most impressive heads home and impale them on fence posts out in the pasture and sun dry them, then I can look a thing them for years to come! Poor mans taxidermy. I gotta bring some snapper and ling heads home this year. I'm gonna have to stick some coon traps underneath so the ignorant coons don't have their way with them.

"Poor mans taxidermy" lol good one!

Fish Head soup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZEKMbwWPTo

astepanuk
06-14-2017, 08:30 AM
When we were there May 31 - June 2nd we did pretty decent catching Springs we got our 3 man limit I landed the biggest not sure what it weighed but it was a nice White meat Spring. We did land one Coho Dolly's said it was the first Coho they received this year. Cant wait to go back hoping for better weather for sure.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb361/remingtoncountry19/18767924_10159260355375112_3636544325676170211_n_z psiqpmfcxy.jpg

Marty S
06-15-2017, 08:16 AM
Ha, Fish Head Soup... how bout that???

So when yer done ya take the fish head out and huck it and eat the rest right? Just kidding!

When I cut a salmon head on a whole salmon, I don't waste hardly anything. I like to trim the head tight to the flesh on top and leave the pectoral fins and gill plates attached to the body, and accompanying flesh. All that is left on the head is the bony stuff and the gillrakers.

Next, trim the gill plates off with the pectoral fins and cook them, the fins over a fire or throw on the BBQ for the yummiest part of the fish. A little salted garlic butter makes anything spectacular but they are superb even without. I kid you not, the best part of the fish. Never throw them away again!!!

If you are getting your fish put up at a plant, ask them to put up your "collars" as they call them. Bigger the fish, better the collar. Chum included. The belly has a lot of the oil/omega 3, and the pectoral fin flesh is loaded. Yummy!

Sorry, nothing left for the rock soup! But the heads are then prepped and ready for their fence post!

338 Rules
06-15-2017, 08:31 AM

So when yer done ya take the fish head out and huck it and eat the rest right? Just kidding!

When I cut a salmon head on a whole salmon, I don't waste hardly anything. I like to trim the head tight to the flesh on top and leave the pectoral fins and gill plates attached to the body, and accompanying flesh. All that is left on the head is the bony stuff and the gillrakers.

Next, trim the gill plates off with the pectoral fins and cook them, the fins over a fire or throw on the BBQ for the yummiest part of the fish. A little salted garlic butter makes anything spectacular but they are superb even without. I kid you not, the best part of the fish. Never throw them away again!!!

If you are getting your fish put up at a plant, ask them to put up your "collars" as they call them. Bigger the fish, better the collar. Chum included. The belly has a lot of the oil/omega 3, and the pectoral fin flesh is loaded. Yummy!

Sorry, nothing left for the rock soup! But the heads are then prepped and ready for their fence post!

Thanks for the tip about the fins, I will try that for sure.

Would love to see a picture of your fish head decorated fence! :)

Mike_W
06-15-2017, 09:22 AM
4 springs

Robb caught them all, I was skunked on them

All I brought home was 2 hali, 11 crab

Bummer.

As for the skate.... we have caught a couple over the years never kept one is the box is usually full of Salmon, Hali and Ling. But I have heard they taste like scallops as well however I would probably have to try some prior to and really like it before I would keep one.

Ken07AOVette
06-15-2017, 09:36 AM
I do use the heads.
Halibut heads too.
They are great crab bait.

Mike_W
06-15-2017, 12:08 PM

We tried cooking "collars" a few times from salmon is probably best but we also tried ling and while there is nothing horrendous they are just very rich as they are quite fatty. a nice treat in the smoker for sure but not in excess.....When we cooked up the ling collars it was from a days limit so I think we had 12 collar between 4 guys.

justinO
06-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Headed up to Rupert with my boat July 13th for 6 days can't wait. If anyone is heading there around that time pm me always good fishing with multiple boats 🖒

Marty S
06-15-2017, 10:59 PM
I only ever ate the salmon fins/collar meat. And I guess on a couple walleye too. Here's a question... on the red snappers, collar fins, any meat there? His ocean stuff is mostly new to me, I was fishing the river before like a poor man... now I'm ever poorer cuz now I'm fishing in th ocean!

So these snappers seem like this gigantic bucket head creatur with these massive pectoral fins and massive tail and teeny little fillet steaks above the spine... mmmm... yummy stuff, irrigate with garlic clove butter while frying. So I didn't save the collar fins on them... any meat on them? Do they have cheek meat like a little walleye?

Ken07AOVette
06-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Headed up to Rupert with my boat July 13th for 6 days can't wait. If anyone is heading there around that time pm me always good fishing with multiple boats 🖒

I will be there July 3-17

SNAPFisher
06-16-2017, 10:32 AM

Man! You are all over that place :)
Are you planning on fishing most of the days? I hope fishing is 100x better this round. Good luck.

justinO
06-16-2017, 01:32 PM

Sent you a PM can't wait to get out there.

Ken07AOVette
06-16-2017, 01:40 PM
Man! You are all over that place :)
Are you planning on fishing most of the days? I hope fishing is 100x better this round. Good luck.

That's the 2nd of maybe 3 possibly 4 trips this year. I am hoping to get 30 but may get 40 days in.

It will get better, I just hope the weather smartens up.

I noticed for the 11 minutes there was sunshine the fish turned on, then off again when it went dark

338 Rules
06-16-2017, 01:46 PM
That's the 2nd of maybe 3 possibly 4 trips this year. I am hoping to get 30 but may get 40 days in.

It will get better, I just hope the weather smartens up.

I noticed for the 11 minutes there was sunshine the fish turned on, then off again when it went dark

Certainly is weather dependent isn't it?

Hope you catch some monsters! :)

Ken07AOVette
06-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Certainly is weather dependent isn't it?

Hope you catch some monsters! :)

Sure is! Thank you!! :)

EZM
06-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Someone take me with them. All of a sudden Laker and Pike fishing sounds like it sucks!!!!

Ken07AOVette
06-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Someone take me with them. All of a sudden Laker and Pike fishing sounds like it sucks!!!!

get your azm to Rupert and hop on a boat! There are at least 5 boats from AO alone going at the same time. I have room the first week for a day or 2 if Nigel doesn't mind.

Marty S
06-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Nothing quite like Chinook salmon in the rivers, well except for this animal called a steelhead! Holy shmoly!!! And then some. Sockeye on standard pike gear? Wow! The northern hemisphere bonefish! Especially if you foul hook one by accident... barely controllable. Them beautiful Chums the locals all stick their noses up at, talk about a dawg fight. My one daughter hates Chum cuz they just give her too much of a thrashing and about as good as a white Chinook

Pike? Naw

The ocean is fun too, meat production at its finest.

Tactical Lever
06-16-2017, 10:00 PM
We prawned last year in tuck inlet but no luck. 2 strings of 4 traps and got maybe 30.
I am definitely going after dungeness this year. I am actually making a cannon Scotty conversion plate right now for a Scotty trap puller.

Pfft! You don't need a puller! All you need is me. If you hang onto my waist, so I don't pull myself overboard, I can pull up a little trap like nothing!

Plus I don't eat much, and don't take up much room in the truck...

I used to enjoy wading into the water as the tide went out down past Tlell on Haida Gwaii. You could catch crabs with a net or even a forked stick with a rope tied across it. It was fun, and we would go out and catch our limits pretty quick.

Ken07AOVette
06-16-2017, 11:12 PM
Pfft! You don't need a puller! All you need is me. If you hang onto my waist, so I don't pull myself overboard, I can pull up a little trap like nothing!

Plus I don't eat much, and don't take up much room in the truck...

I used to enjoy wading into the water as the tide went out down past Tlell on Haida Gwaii. You could catch crabs with a net or even a forked stick with a rope tied across it. It was fun, and we would go out and catch our limits pretty quick.

Deal! :sHa_shakeshout:
I picked up a line puller, but it is not needed at all for crab. They are effortless up to 100 feet.
A string of Prawn traps on log covered bottom are a different story.
I lost 3 of my 4 cannon down riggers last time out, so I am selling my new in box line puller and Scotty 1116 propack down rigger.
I prefer crab to prawn anyway.

Fishhunter
06-17-2017, 05:21 AM
Ken Im with ya on the prawn issue. Tried to get them little buggers a bunch of times and only get a taste. To much work for what I usually get.

Has anyone seen the herring rods the guides use up at Dundas? The rod is open at the end and the herring rig winds right into the rod for easy storage. I would like to get one but don't know where to get one or even what they are called.

338 Rules
06-17-2017, 06:32 AM
Nothing quite like Chinook salmon in the rivers, well except for this animal called a steelhead! Holy shmoly!!! And then some. Sockeye on standard pike gear? Wow! The northern hemisphere bonefish! Especially if you foul hook one by accident... barely controllable. Them beautiful Chums the locals all stick their noses up at, talk about a dawg fight. My one daughter hates Chum cuz they just give her too much of a thrashing and about as good as a white Chinook

Pike? Naw

The ocean is fun too, meat production at its finest.

Chinook on the Skeena is a blast, all you need is a spin and glow a sturdy rod a decent reel and 50 lbs test. Love hearing my Penn 320 LD sing when i hook up with a big one

The only river fishing that is more fun is Atlantic salmon on a fly. :)

Rockjockey
06-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Ken Im with ya on the prawn issue. Tried to get them little buggers a bunch of times and only get a taste. To much work for what I usually get.

Has anyone seen the herring rods the guides use up at Dundas? The rod is open at the end and the herring rig winds right into the rod for easy storage. I would like to get one but don't know where to get one or even what they are called.

The herring rod is called a "sabiki rod" and the rig a Sabiki rig, I think. From what I can tell you might be able to get them at cabelas. The fishinhole may bring one in as well for you if you ask.

RJ

Fishhunter
06-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Thanks rj.

Sea Hawk
06-17-2017, 08:29 AM
The herring rod is called a "sabiki rod" and the rig a Sabiki rig, I think. From what I can tell you might be able to get them at cabelas. The fishinhole may bring one in as well for you if you ask.

RJ

I think they sell sabiki rigs at pacific net in prince rupert. I have a few and plan to try jigging for herring this year. From what i have read is it is very easy to tangle the rig up when not in use, so i plan to take a piece of plastic pipe to drop it into for storage.

EZM
06-17-2017, 02:46 PM
I guess a guy could string together 3-4 pic rigs and un-clip them from each other when done - But, yeah, I could see tangle nightmares here.

Tactical Lever
06-18-2017, 12:30 PM
I picked up a line puller, but it is not needed at all for crab. They are effortless up to 100 feet.
I lost 3 of my 4 cannon down riggers last time out, so I am selling my new in box line puller and Scotty 1116 propack down rigger.

Ok! Don't be surprised if you end up with a stow-a-way! :)

In reality I'm not much of a fisherman, but I did do a little deep sea trip out there once after I moved away. Running 2 poles to a down rigger it got a little monotonous bringing in that many halibut! Had to remove myself from the action to have a beer.

I enjoyed working the bottom for rock cod and the freaky looking stuff. Caught a tiger striped rock cod once. That was pretty cool.

Mike_W
06-20-2017, 11:26 AM

As in they snapped off your boat?

Ken07AOVette
06-20-2017, 12:00 PM
As in they snapped off your boat?

no, sorry- I gotta fix that :snapoutofit:

3/4 are dead. 1 sort of ground to a halt after getting slower and slower, 1 has a broken wire, 1 was in the storage hold down, and 1 continued working.

I bought a new one, sent one to be repaired and is coming back doa, got 1 working.

They are all likely 10 years old, which is 97 in human years apparently.

Mike_W
06-21-2017, 09:57 AM
no, sorry- I gotta fix that :snapoutofit:

3/4 are dead. 1 sort of ground to a halt after getting slower and slower, 1 has a broken wire, 1 was in the storage hold down, and 1 continued working.

I bought a new one, sent one to be repaired and is coming back doa, got 1 working.

They are all likely 10 years old, which is 97 in human years apparently.

Time to ditch those Cannons for some scottys

Ken07AOVette
06-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Time to ditch those Cannons for some scottys

Won't ever happen.
The cannons are 11 years old, and parts are available. I have had both, and prefer cannon hands down