PDA

View Full Version : 7mm08 VS 7mm rem mag

keepingitreal
05-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Gents and ladies I am looking into purchasing one of these rifles. I am looking for someone who has had both and which one that they preferred.

Thanks

Slicktricker
05-24-2017, 03:32 PM
Shot both my main rifles a 7mm rem mag wouldn't change a thing :) I use 160 grain for everything very flat shooting. 7mm08 of course has less recoil and not as flat but pretty good caliber as well

bonedogg
05-24-2017, 03:37 PM
do you want a sore shoulder after 10 shots or no? the recoil in a 7mm-08 is much less. it is also a short action vs. a long action in 300 win mag, which equals less weight and shorter bolt throw.

keepingitreal
05-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Not to worried about the recoil. I guess if i am target shooting it might matter. But if you are pulling the trigger once for an animal. I don't think it would be that bad.
What is the hitting power like for the 7mm08. I am sure that the 7mm rem mag has a bunch of stopping power, but not sure about the 08.

huntsfurfish
05-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Better in guns thread.:)

7mm mag and 7x57 for me but close to 7/08 both would be good choices. 7mag has the edge on eveything but recoil.

elkhunter11
05-24-2017, 03:57 PM
They are the same caliber, just different case capacity and muzzle velocity. If you want more velocity, and you don't mind more recoil, the 7mmremmag is an excellent choice. If you want less recoil, and a lighter rifle, the 7mm-08 may be a better choice for you.

bsmitty27
05-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I've had both. I like the efficiency of the 08. I don't own any magnums anymore. I personally find them over kill and a waste of powder, for MOST
Hunting applications. But I think the 7mm is one of my favorite magnums.
Describe your application and why you picked those 2 cartridges. Do you have other center fire rifles? Reload? Bottom line cartridge choice isn't that important for hunting (within reason). Get what you want, sell it if you don't like it.
Brad

Stubb
05-24-2017, 04:41 PM
If you like the short action and shorter barrel of the 08 but like the oomph of the mag- 7WSM is the answer!

Kurt505
05-24-2017, 04:50 PM
No brainer here, 280rem/Ackley Improved. Best of both worlds, flat shooting and low recoil.

58thecat
05-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Gents and ladies I am looking into purchasing one of these rifles. I am looking for someone who has had both and which one that they preferred.

Thanks

7-08 will do all that the mag will do and you will enjoy the recoil much more.

harv3589
05-24-2017, 05:30 PM

That covers it right there...

Selkirk
05-24-2017, 05:42 PM

That ^ :happy0034:

And besides, 'Real' men don't need magnums, anywayz :)

Selkirk

DiabeticKripple
05-24-2017, 05:49 PM
I bought a magnum because I wanted one gun to do it all, at any reasonable (less than 500m) distance.

I'm thinking about getting something new to try

covey ridge
05-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Had both. Killed with both. The 7-08 is more fun to shoot.
I would go with 7-08.

Slicktricker
05-24-2017, 09:09 PM
It really depends if you want to shoot bullets lighter then 150 go with 7mm08 I shoot 160s and magnums are better for heavier bullets that's where they shine

CNP
05-24-2017, 10:29 PM
The info you're looking for is a google away. I'm thinking you do not shoot a lot? Why wouldn't you want to enjoy shooting a rifle and become proficient with it...............at the range?

I don't know your level of experience, there is nothing wrong with either gun, the difference being 300 +/- fps and 600 +/- ft/lbs in favour of the 7mm rem mag.

Guys buy magnum rifles in a Tikka T3 light and they come back up for sale quick................for a reason.

catnthehat
05-24-2017, 10:35 PM
708 is my choice over the belted mag
Cat

t.tinsmith
05-24-2017, 10:37 PM
The deciding point for me is barrel length
THE magnums need longer barrels, the 7/08 ,.280,7x57 does not. I don't use a rifle with a barrel longer than 22" these days and the little 7mm's are fine on elk,imo

boonedocks
05-25-2017, 07:07 PM
I solved my problem of " which 7mm" by buying one of each! Both winchester model 70s, a featherweight in 7mm08, and a super grade in 7mm rem mag! If I had to choose between the two ( heaven forbid), I would go with the magnum. It's a pain in the rear to carry around, with its length and weight,but shoots amazing with very little recoil? I'm guessing it's the fit and wieght that make it so easy to shoot. I decide which rifle to carry based on which technique I will be most likely be using on that trip. The magnum for open country and stand hunting and the featherwieght for still hunting and bush pushing. As long as you don't buy the magnum in an ultralight, ill fitting rifle, you can't go wrong with either. Happy hunting.

buckbrushoutdoors
05-25-2017, 07:20 PM
if I was to own Rifle it would be chambered in the 7mm mag
good range of bullets, flat shooting and recoil is low

covey ridge
05-25-2017, 07:29 PM
I solved my problem of " which 7mm" by buying one of each! Both winchester model 70s, a featherweight in 7mm08, and a super grade in 7mm rem mag! If I had to choose between the two ( heaven forbid),

You did not have a problem because you did not have to choose:)

Both very nice rifles!

gitrdun
05-25-2017, 07:54 PM
21 posts later and most haven't yet figured that these two cartridges are in a totally different world. Typically AO BS as of late. And not worthy of discussion, pathetic actually. :snapoutofit:

harv3589
05-25-2017, 08:52 PM
21 posts later and most haven't yet figured that these two cartridges are in a totally different world. Typically AO BS as of late. And not worthy of discussion, pathetic actually. :snapoutofit:

And so is your post...typical negativity as of lately

jayquiver
05-25-2017, 10:44 PM

Thanks

I own both.

Love my 7mm-08!, lighter, shorter barrel, fun to shoot all day long. I have shot 120-140grain bullets out of it. I will be trying 160' this year also. It is a great big game cartridge to "normal" hunting ranges.

Like my 7mm Rem Mag. heavier, longer barrel, recoil is no issue, but the 7mm-08 is preferred to shoot at the range. I like 160 to 175 grain bullets in mine. It really like the 175's. Great big game cartridge especially if larger game is being hunted more then deer or longer distances are more the "norm"

If I had to pick one, I would keep my 7mm-08, mainly because the range of shots I actually take. The "little 7" can do what I need it to on the game I am after.

FYI- there is a really nice 7mm-08 Cooper for sale in the consignment section at Prophet River :)

JD848
05-29-2017, 10:29 AM

I agree with you very strongly,x2.
Nothing negative,just the plain truth,2 totally different cartridges.

Salavee
05-29-2017, 12:48 PM

Totally !

Okotokian
05-29-2017, 12:59 PM

Maybe I'm missing something... did anyone say they were the same?

CanadianEh
05-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Another vote for the amazing 7-08.

Just a great rifle.. I shoot far better accuracy with the 7-08. Not that I find the recoil bad on a 7 Mag.. Just still find my mind makes me flinch once and awhile, never had that issue in 7-08 and its lays down animals just as well, if you put it in the wheelhouse.

double gun
05-29-2017, 01:26 PM
I've run all the following sevens and multiples on most:
7stw, 7weatherby, 7rem mag, 7saum, 280, 7x57, and 7-08

While I still have a rem mag and will probably hang onto it for nostalgia, I'm currently shopping for a 7-08 to use as my main hunting rifle. While using some of the bigger 7's I never once experienced a time when the 7-08 wouldnt have done the job just as handily. There are times however I wished I was using a shorter, handier 7-08.

covey ridge
05-29-2017, 02:40 PM
Maybe I'm missing something... did anyone say they were the same?
No one said they were the same.

keepingitreal
05-30-2017, 09:59 AM
I want to do some long range shooting mostly, I would like the 7mm mag for the distance. I would still us the 7mm mag for hunting but alot of you guys make a good argument about the 7mm08. Torn i am.

Thanks

CanadianEh
05-31-2017, 12:50 AM
You kind of answered your own question.

If you want a long range shooter to try hit pie plates at 700yards, get a 7mag.

If you want a great all round hunting rifle for 95% of the shots you should be making... Get a 708

Not too hard a decision really..

Sooner
05-31-2017, 11:00 AM
You kind of answered your own question.

If you want a long range shooter to try hit pie plates at 700yards, get a 7mag.

If you want a great all round hunting rifle for 95% of the shots you should be making... Get a 708

Not too hard a decision really..

Great thread as I am looking to buy the kid his first rifle and something in the 7mm is his choice. I have used the same rifle since i was 16 and I'm almost 50 so this researching rifles and calibers is a new thing to me lol.

Are over the counter shells readily available for the 7mm-08 at the bigger stores? Looks like this would be the choice from my searches here. Nice all around rifle, lighter & less recoil.

Who makes a good quality rifle in this caliber? Detachable magazine preferred.

sns2
05-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Great thread as I am looking to buy the kid his first rifle and something in the 7mm is his choice. I have used the same rifle since i was 16 and I'm almost 50 so this researching rifles and calibers is a new thing to me lol.

Are over the counter shells readily available for the 7mm-08 at the bigger stores? Looks like this would be the choice from my searches here. Nice all around rifle, lighter & less recoil.

1) Tikka
2) Tikka
3) Tikka

LarryG
05-31-2017, 02:18 PM
browning xbolt micro series or full size (depends on his size) is your best choice.$690, blued, right hand, synthetic stock. It can be found in left hand versions. The ammo is getting more common all the time. second choice would be winchester xpr. Third choice, Ruger American, a little cheaper, but sells for 645 in stainless. All prices from P & D in edmonton. Good luck

CanadianEh
05-31-2017, 11:27 PM
In either calibre.

Winchester model 70
Winchester xpr
Winchester extreme weather.

Xpr is a good little cheap rifle. Hard to beat.

JD848
06-01-2017, 12:37 AM
There is nothing to be torn about,lotsa guys have tried many cartridges and decades before they decide what they really like,so go with your gut and try the one you may or may not like,no one can figure what a guy should shoot when they don't know if he knows what he wants. Have you ever owned a rifle for hunting big game,if you have then you can give some thought on what purpose is in your needs for these 2 that your thinking about.

I could and all of AO can give there two cents,but only you know what your intentions are for one or the other,there's always going to be 2 stories on each and no one is really wrong if they like what they shoot,so if your torn between the 2 cartridges so am I on what you should get.I allready know which one I would buy and it's not the 08,am I right on what I like,you bet I am right on what I like,but what one person likes may not be the proper answer for another person,if it was so easy there would only be one cartridge for everyone.Before I would buy the 08 I would look hard at some 6.5's because that is where you may end up ,again only my two cents.Plus you can hit pie plates with a 223 at 700 if that is your deal so a 7mm 08 can reach out to there very easily.

Salavee
06-01-2017, 07:43 AM
There is nothing to be torn about,lotsa guys have tried many cartridges and decades before they decide what they really like,so go with your gut and try the one you may or may not like,no one can figure what a guy should shoot when they don't know if he knows what he wants. Have you ever owned a rifle for hunting big game,if you have then you can give some thought on what purpose is in your needs for these 2 that your thinking about.

I could and all of AO can give there two cents,but only you know what your intentions are for one or the other,there's always going to be 2 stories on each and no one is really wrong if they like what they shoot,so if your torn between the 2 cartridges so am I on what you should get.I allready know which one I would buy and it's not the 08,am I right on what I like,you bet I am right on what I like,but what one person likes may not be the proper answer for another person,if it was so easy there would only be one cartridge for everyone.Before I would buy the 08 I would look hard at some 6.5's because that is where you may end up ,again only my two cents.Plus you can hit pie plates with a 223 at 700 if that is your deal so a 7mm 08 can reach out to there very easily.

True enough, especially regarding the 6.5. It would be well worth your time to check that one out. The 6.5x55 SE fits your needs to a tee IMHO.