PDA

View Full Version : kids fishing around med hat

erkel1
04-26-2009, 11:50 AM
could anyone help me with some fishing locations around med hat that are good for 6 to 12 year old kids. ive got a 14 foot boat and 9.9 so i can troll for pike with them. i remember fishing cowoki by tilley 20 years ago with my dad and we always caught fish. im looking for something along those lines, lots of bites, size of fish not important,as we will be releasing them all.any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Freedom55
04-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Get on up to the Cypress hills. Elkwater for pike and Reesor for stocked trout. Check at the tackle shop on Allowance Ave for advice. I heard that a copper spoon works on the trout. Dave Si.

npauls
04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
you could fish bullshead just wouldnt be able to use the gas motor. Just troll really slow with a weighted wooley bugger or even a small jig head with an unscented body in brown,black, or green. When the youngens hook up with one of those pigs they will have a good time.

bloom
04-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I use to take my little girls to places like Reesor, just to keep them busy with small fish. Caught the odd fish, but finally gave up and just took them to Bullshead. Put flies under a bobber, and they saw more action there than did anywhere else. Trolling like npauls said would work too.

Bait ban and size limit. Girls loved letting the fish rest in water and letting them go by themselves.

Pigshanks
04-27-2009, 10:31 AM
If your looking for pike, Seven Persons dam just south of Seven Persons is not a bad little reservoir. Another couple of weeks and rattlesnake, murray's and the river will all be open to fishing.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Id suggest going and picking up the Barry Mitchell's Alberta fishing guide a whopping 9.00 at 7-11 , right beside the playboy mags.

Coltprins
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Medicine hat collge pond, you cant put your boat in but the perch always bite. Spoons in the spring, spinners in summer and little jigs in the fall work for me. Me and my little bro usually can catch 20-50 in a couple hours. If you want to use worms you wont be able to keep em off the hook once summer comes around. that has been my experience anyway. plus the chance of the odd pike.

erkel1
04-27-2009, 08:33 PM
thanks for all the help. i drove out to bullshead today at lunch,only 2 people out there.weather was ugly though.havent fished there for ten years at least, but am going out there in a week or so.one question coltprins; is the college pond on the college grounds or is it the larger pond between the student residence and m&m meats. thanks

jts1
04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
It is the one by M&M meats spent a few days on it last year and only had real small ones

Coltprins
04-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I have lots of luck on both ponds but honestly i catch the most from the one on the college grounds. I stand on the culvert that seperates it from the section right behind the cultural center and cast in any direction.

madatter
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Murray Lake by Seven Persons can be very good early on for pike from shore or boat,before the weeds get going.It's a pretty shallow lake all over except the northern portion has deeper water.
Fish right from dam/spillway or troll that area to the bay south of it.
No real boat launch but you can get it backed in at several spots.

Sartorius
04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I used to live in Medicine Hat. The Echodale park pond has stocked trout in it, as does Cavan Lake, which I believe is south of the Hat. As many other people have mentioned, the Cypress Hills area has some good fishing. You could also try Battle Creek near Spruce Coulee Reservoir (I believe), it has some little trout in it. I guess you could also try the South Saskatchewan, good walleye fishing there. Good luck!

Sartorius
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I never knew the Medicine Hat College Pond held any perch. It's listed in the regs, but I never managed to catch anything. Supposedly there are pike there, but I've never caught any. I wish I knew about the perch when I lived there!

Coltprins
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
I didnt know they were in there either untill i cought one on a #2 mepps syclops haha. The lure was as big as the fish! Mostly really small ones but if your lucky you can get a few in the one pound range, some a bit bigger. My brother cought a 4lb pike while goin for perch one day.

CantThinkOfAName
04-28-2009, 06:53 PM
You can try right in Kin Coulee Park too, right below that little dam thing for little perch.
Can try Grassy/Sherburne reservoir (http://www.gowalleye.com/sa-sherburne.htm). Its a bit longer drive, but it can be fun. Went last Sept - caught about 60 little walleye between 3 of us. But like any place it can be a bit finnicky at times.

madatter
04-29-2009, 10:29 AM
I used to live in Medicine Hat. The Echodale park pond has stocked trout in it, as does Cavan Lake, which I believe is south of the Hat. As many other people have mentioned, the Cypress Hills area has some good fishing. You could also try Battle Creek near Spruce Coulee Reservoir (I believe), it has some little trout in it. I guess you could also try the South Saskatchewan, good walleye fishing there. Good luck!

Cavan Lake is supposedly dead and is not getting stocked this year!!

erkel1
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
thanks to all who offered ideas. i will fish all these lakes this year and will post pics of our success o0r lack of. again thank you

Pondfisher14
05-19-2010, 09:21 PM
I would like to know where to fish in the medicine hat college pond??? how many do you catch in a day and is there a lot of action?? and echo dale is there much action there i don't care about size i wanna catch fish!!! lol

shanesbro
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I was at echo dale yesterday and couldn't keep the little trout off of my spinner. They were small but the kids I had with me enjoyed themselves.

Pondfisher14
08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
I went there a couple of days ago and only caught one small one by the creek where the two lakes are connected what part where you fishing in?

castaway
08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Guaranteed fish=Go out to Elkwater and cast off the pier at the very end of the dock (chained area). Use a Blue Fox pixee silver plated spoon and haul in the pike. Not bigger than 2-3 pounds but fun for the kids to catch & learn