PDA

View Full Version : new gun

Avidhuntr
05-29-2017, 11:25 AM
Im torn I have always wanted a sako and finally saved up enough $$$ but the place i was going to order from has a cooper excalibur on for 2499 and the sako hunter laminated on for 2150. both in 7mm. I have done some reading on the cooper and it seems to be an awesome gun but is it worth the extra cash? I will be hunting mostly deer and elk with it. any advice or experience with the rifles would be greatly appreciated! I would like to hold the cooper but don't know of anyone stocking it in Lethbridge.

fish_e_o
05-29-2017, 12:12 PM
http://store.prophetriver.com/categories/Rifles/Cooper-Firearms/

take a road trip

Kurt505
05-29-2017, 12:12 PM
Without a doubt I would get the Cooper seven days a week. My Cooper was more accurate and could handle hotter loads then any Sako I've ever had.

Okotokian
05-29-2017, 12:17 PM
Is it "worth" the extra cash? Depends on what you value. I own a Sako and in many respect IT isn't worth the extra cash over the other firearms I've owned. I'm pretty sure the Cooper won't be any more accurate than the Sako (at least in realistic hunting scenarios). It won't make the game any deader. The Sako won't malfunction or fall apart. So if there isn't a feature that the Cooper has that the Sako doesn't have, not sure why it would make sense to pay more. But in the end only you can answer the "is it worth it" question. Maybe it just looks prettier to you. And that's valid.

sns2
05-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Cooper. It will be the best extra $350 you have spent, and I have had multiple rifles from both producers. One is better. One is best.

Kurt505
05-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Is it "worth" the extra cash? Depends on what you value. I own a Sako and in many respect IT isn't worth the extra cash over the other firearms I've owned. I'm pretty sure the Cooper won't be any more accurate than the Sako (at least in realistic hunting scenarios). It won't make the game any deader. The Sako won't malfunction or fall apart. So if there isn't a feature that the Cooper has that the Sako doesn't have, not sure why it would make sense to pay more. But in the end only you can answer the "is it worth it" question. Maybe it just looks prettier to you. And that's valid.

My sons savage axis is as accurate and definitely less finicky when it comes to ammo than any of my Sako's were, not to mention you can buy about 8 of them for the price of one Sako, so it's hard to but a value on worth. Coopers are more accurate than Sako's and they hold their resale value better. They might cost more than a Sako off the hip, but you'll get that money back when you sell.

morinj
05-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Im torn I have always wanted a sako and finally saved up enough $$$ but the place i was going to order from has a cooper excalibur on for 2499 and the sako hunter laminated on for 2150. both in 7mm. I have done some reading on the cooper and it seems to be an awesome gun but is it worth the extra cash? I will be hunting mostly deer and elk with it. any advice or experience with the rifles would be greatly appreciated! I would like to hold the cooper but don't know of anyone stocking it in Lethbridge.

You would more then likely fall in love with either! When I am faced with this sort of decision, I go with the item that I originally wanted, so there is no question whether I made the right decision! The future holds the ability to acquire your alternative, if you desire!

Avidhuntr
05-30-2017, 09:13 AM
well I was staring to lean towards the cooper till morinj commented, that is a good point i would hate to be wondering if i should have just got the sako, I have been thinking about a sako for years... I guess I should start saving for my next gun (cooper) right away haha.

sns2
05-30-2017, 12:11 PM
If you are gonna spend upwards of $2k, you owe it to yourself to hop in the car and drive to Lloydminster and shoulder a number of different rifles at Prophet River. Will be the best tank of gas you ever spend.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

sns2
05-30-2017, 12:12 PM
It's also part of the fun in choosing a rifle.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

CanuckShooter
05-30-2017, 02:41 PM
well I was staring to lean towards the cooper till morinj commented, that is a good point i would hate to be wondering if i should have just got the sako, I have been thinking about a sako for years... I guess I should start saving for my next gun (cooper) right away haha.

I saw recently a shop had Sako Finnlights on sale for $1800 plus change....I'm in the same boat as you, wanted a Sako for years and now I'm getting serious about getting one.

Homesteader
05-30-2017, 02:50 PM
I'd buy a used Sako before I'd buy another Cooper. Sorry I don't buy into the Sakos not shooting as good as an Axis. I'm sure there are lots of good shooters from all makers. Sako fit and finish is head and shoulders above the lower priced rifles, and it should be, look at the cost.

Coopers also have problems. Mine had bad extractor right out of the gate, again could have happened with any I'm sure, but they are no better or worse then the others. The big downside was how long it took to get fixed. I was without my new $2500 rifle for 6 months. Maybe all manufacturers would be the same, but it sure soured me on Coopers. I like my Tikkas, haven't seen one that wouldn't shoot good. I'd even buy another Kimber over a Cooper.

Avidhuntr
05-30-2017, 04:07 PM
I saw recently a shop had Sako Finnlights on sale for $1800 plus change....I'm in the same boat as you, wanted a Sako for years and now I'm getting serious about getting one.

Which shop was that?

harv3589
05-30-2017, 04:12 PM
I've tried other brands after having a Sako and always come back to them...just did again and now have a Sako 85 Finnlight 270 Win

sns2
05-30-2017, 04:52 PM
Which shop was that?

Milarm. They are a site sponsor.