PDA

View Full Version : The Forks

Mishfish
05-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Hey Everyone! Anyone have an idea on what the water level is at the Forks? (confluence of Oldman river and the Bow) Just curious what it's like to get on that Island.

Thank you!

DiabeticKripple
05-31-2017, 05:59 AM
I wasn't thinking of going this Friday as well

slamilton
05-31-2017, 07:20 AM
You can check the flow levels here- https://rivers.alberta.ca/

I started looking in late April and I believe it was around 2M and is now 3.6M so would be running quite high. I don't really have any reference as to how high those numbers can get though at the peak.

pikergolf
05-31-2017, 09:32 AM
Judging by the SSR in the Hat, both the OM and the Bow must be high.

Dale S
05-31-2017, 08:02 PM
It takes around 325m3/s to 350m3/s for the water to go around the island. Last weekend when it peaked at 359m3/s the water was up to my running boards on my 1 ton. The flow has dropped to 237m3/s so it will not be flowing around the island. The road might be muddy.

DiabeticKripple
05-31-2017, 08:30 PM
How is the fishing down there?

I'm open to catching anything, not just sturgeon, but one or two of those bad boys would be a bonus.

Sounds like my plans have changed and I will be there on Monday.

Dale S
05-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Lots of suckers, chubs and sturgeon. It's tough fishing at the beach, lots of current. Guys were having a hard time staying put with 8ozs.

pinelakeperch
06-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Lots of suckers, chubs and sturgeon. It's tough fishing at the beach, lots of current. Guys were having a hard time staying put with 8ozs.

How long does this generally last? I'm new to Lethbridge and tried fishing the Oldman under the train bridge. Water was way too fast.

Mishfish
06-01-2017, 12:01 PM
You can check the flow levels here- https://rivers.alberta.ca/

I started looking in late April and I believe it was around 2M and is now 3.6M so would be running quite high. I don't really have any reference as to how high those numbers can get though at the peak.

When you are talking about these numbers, do you mean the flow rate of the Oldman river? Or the Bow/Oldman Combined?

Dale S
06-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Pretty much all of June.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

slamilton
06-02-2017, 07:12 AM
When you are talking about these numbers, do you mean the flow rate of the Oldman river? Or the Bow/Oldman Combined?

The website takes the measurement in Medicine Hat so would be the South Sask, so it is not exactly at the Forks but would be a decent indication. I think you can find measurements for the Oldman and Bow farther up.

Swede
06-02-2017, 08:32 AM
It takes around 325m3/s to 350m3/s for the water to go around the island. Last weekend when it peaked at 359m3/s the water was up to my running boards on my 1 ton. The flow has dropped to 237m3/s so it will not be flowing around the island. The road might be muddy.

Wheeled vehicles are not allowed to drive in or around the river not sure if your aware of this but if the water was up to your running boards i guess your not.

WayneChristie
06-02-2017, 05:05 PM
Wheeled vehicles are not allowed to drive in or around the river not sure if your aware of this but if the water was up to your running boards i guess your not.

there is a campground on the island which is accessed via a county maintained road that actually does go across the creek.

DiabeticKripple
06-02-2017, 05:44 PM

You are if it's an established crossing, which like Wayne said, it is.

Poppa
08-30-2017, 04:24 PM
Just curious if anyone's been fishing down here lately. How's the water level? Fishing been decent? Never been before, but I think we're going to check it out on Sunday morning....

pikergolf
08-31-2017, 07:09 AM
Water levels are extremely low. Don't know about the fishing.