PDA

View Full Version : Defective .22lr ammo or rifle issue?

Big_Willy
05-31-2017, 07:07 PM
So, out shooting gophers in the heat this afternoon when I experienced an obvious misfire. I cycled the action and the cartridge rim, now a brass disc, fell out. The cartridge case, now a brass tube, was left stuck in the throat of the receiver.

This is the second time this has occurred this season. Same gun, same ammo.

Rifle in question is a Remington 597 semi-auto with thousands of rounds fired.

Ammo in question is Remington .22lr Golden bullets.

Do I have an ammo problem or is it maybe time to retire my rifle for safety reasons?

-Willy

Flieguy
05-31-2017, 07:11 PM
was it from the same box of ammo?

58thecat
05-31-2017, 07:15 PM
Change ammo up, if it repeats the same snag then it's the rifle.

Big_Willy
05-31-2017, 07:20 PM
was it from the same box of ammo?

Yep. Box of 525 Golden bullets, not the bucket. First time Ive used these, but, all other Remington ammo types have shot flawlessly out of this rifle...

-Willy

Boogerfart
05-31-2017, 07:39 PM
What do the cases that ejected properly look like? Any ballooning around the rim or odd marks?

urban rednek
05-31-2017, 07:46 PM
FTF then the rim separated from the body? That's bad ammo.
Get some new stuff and keep shooting gophers.

fps plus
05-31-2017, 08:25 PM
If it was unfired and the Rim separated it sounds like an ammo issue

bobtodrick
05-31-2017, 08:28 PM
Check Rimfire Central, sort of 'the' rimfire website.
Pretty well all there agree that Rem Golden and Thunderbolts (common nickname thunderturds) are the worst .22 ammo on the market.
Dirty, inaccurate and many complaints of misfires.
I use them, but only in my .22 handgun and AR and only when doing action drills where minute of fist is good enough.

Big_Willy
05-31-2017, 09:18 PM
What do the cases that ejected properly look like? Any ballooning around the rim or odd marks?

Nope. Look normal...

Big_Willy
05-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Check Rimfire Central, sort of 'the' rimfire website.
Pretty well all there agree that Rem Golden and Thunderbolts (common nickname thunderturds) are the worst .22 ammo on the market.
Dirty, inaccurate and many complaints of misfires.
I use them, but only in my .22 handgun and AR and only when doing action drills where minute of fist is good enough.

Ill grab a box of something else and give it a try. CCI is usually my first choice.

I have found Winchester ammo is the ****tiest, but, guess that's subjective.

Thanks.

Pioneer2
05-31-2017, 09:30 PM
Winchester had a bad batch a few years ago.......Harold

JWCalgary
05-31-2017, 10:27 PM
I had a similar thing happen last weekend. Same rifle with cci stingers. Click. No bang. Eject round chamber another BANG! Exploded in my face!!! Mag blew apart action smouldering. A real mess. Turns out I ejected the case only. The bullet separated from the case in the barrel and was lodged in the barrel When I fired the next round. Good reminder to follow the safety check when ejecting a junky round even in a 22.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Dean2
06-02-2017, 10:21 AM
So, out shooting gophers in the heat this afternoon when I experienced an obvious misfire. I cycled the action and the cartridge rim, now a brass disc, fell out. The cartridge case, now a brass tube, was left stuck in the throat of the receiver.

This is the second time this has occurred this season. Same gun, same ammo.

Rifle in question is a Remington 597 semi-auto with thousands of rounds fired.

Ammo in question is Remington .22lr Golden bullets.

Do I have an ammo problem or is it maybe time to retire my rifle for safety reasons?

-Willy

The is was posted on Saubier Web Site so I would say Remington is kicking out some defective ammo. Call Remington and get them to make it right.

Guys,

I had a Remington golden bullet detonation that blew the magazine apart on my Winchester model 75 target rifle while on this years PD shoot. The lot # on this ammo is: A01LC1236. You may want to refrain from shooting any of this lot# until I hear back from Remington. I talked to their rep and he took down all the info and informed me I would hear from them in 4-6 weeks. One might think they would be a bit more expedient with a case such as this. Luckily I had my shooting glasses on and no injury was sustained but I did get a face full of blowback. The cartridge had a complete "head-rim" separation and the bullet was only about four inches into the rifling and came out very easily. I saved all the "evidence" and did not try to remove the remaining parts of the magazine out of the mag well. I will keep you posted as to how big green handles it as far as rifle-ammo replacement.

Aaron

Dean2
06-03-2017, 04:48 AM
BW

Was your ammo the same lot # or if different what lot was yours? Also, please let us know what Remington has to say. They told Aaron he was the first they have heard about this type of complaint yet there are a few others saying they have filed complaints with Remington also. Beginning to sound like another case of deny until the noise gets big enough you have to recall and admit your mistake. Would appreciate knowing the additional details above.

Boogerfart
06-03-2017, 05:46 AM
I've got to firmly agree with the try different ammo approach here, Remington bulk has a long history of problems.

elkhunter11
06-03-2017, 06:02 AM
I had a similar thing happen last weekend. Same rifle with cci stingers. Click. No bang. Eject round chamber another BANG! Exploded in my face!!! Mag blew apart action smouldering. A real mess. Turns out I ejected the case only. The bullet separated from the case in the barrel and was lodged in the barrel When I fired the next round. Good reminder to follow the safety check when ejecting a junky round even in a 22.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter whether I am shooting shotgun , rimfire or centerfire, if something doesn't seem right, I check the barrel before chambering another round.

BiggieB
06-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Ill grab a box of something else and give it a try. CCI is usually my first choice.

I have found Winchester ammo is the ****tiest, but, guess that's subjective.

Thanks.

Odd, I pretty much only run Winchester m22 black copper round nose through my Remington 597 with heavy barrel I've had a few F.T.E and maybe 5 F.T.F but mainly because I had put 1500 plus rounds down my barrel and didn't clean it.....(it's really dirty ammunition) :thinking-006: