PDA

View Full Version : Live well issues

TROLLER
05-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Pretty sure I have an air lok in my live well pump. You can hear it run and it sounds like it is pumping but there is a hissing noise. No water coming through to the live well and the valve is wide open. Was working fine last week. Pump is new so I am thinking an air lok

Any ideas how to confirm the air lok and if so how to get rid of it

Duramaximos
05-31-2017, 07:53 PM
Try to get some pressurized water intto the intake.

EZM
05-31-2017, 08:10 PM
Dumb question ...... are the fill valves open to the correct position? I assume you checked that but just thought I'd ask.

I haven't had this happen but I'd try what Duramaximos suggests - put the garden hose on the intake and blast it.

If that doesn't work I'd try filling it up with the garden hose and running it.

And maybe if all else fails remove the fill valves and try it out and while they ar eout inspect them maybe.

wssmwhistler
06-01-2017, 12:40 AM
My old boat use to that some times. I would plung the outlet just with my finger for a second or two back and forth then it seem to prime worked for me

dodgeboy1979
06-01-2017, 08:14 AM
put the boat into reverse, sometimes this will prime it.

Freedom55
06-01-2017, 08:43 AM
$40.00 at any marine dealer and a new pump will solve the problem and last another bunch of years.

TROLLER
06-01-2017, 12:03 PM
Has a new pump. I am sure it is an air lok so I'll give the water hose a shot. Going into reverse I never thought of. Great idea and the one of holding a figure over the outlet as well.

Thanks for all the advise I will get at it right away.

Okotokian
06-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Interesting coincidence. I tried to fill my live well last weekend. Nada. Couldn't even hear any pump. Dead silence. Other accessories, including bilge pump, worked... so probably new pump needed?

EZM
06-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Interesting coincidence. I tried to fill my live well last weekend. Nada. Couldn't even hear any pump. Dead silence. Other accessories, including bilge pump, worked... so probably new pump needed?

If you have checked the electrical connection and it looks solid and not corroded, yeah, you likely need a new pump. These things go every once in a while. Pretty easy to swap out (if you can get to it).

huntsfurfish
06-01-2017, 04:11 PM

Also, check fuses before replacing pump. And as EZM suggested check connections too. If all is well then buy new pump.

EZM
06-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Also, check fuses before replacing pump. And as EZM suggested check connections too. If all is well then buy new pump.

Yeah - do that first for sure. Fuse check is first.

If my pump ever goes out I have to sell my boat - can't even get near it without being an acrobat.

Okotokian
06-01-2017, 04:55 PM

Good suggestions guys. Thanks. Now I got find where all those things are. LOL

TROLLER
06-01-2017, 05:34 PM
Yeah - do that first for sure. Fuse check is first.

If my pump ever goes out I have to sell my boat - can't even get near it without being an acrobat.

Na no problem just start taking the floor apart, sooner or later you will find the little bugger.:)

dutchpirate
06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Seems to be the week of livewell issues. My pump suddenly stopped working, fuse was okay, but when I checked connectivity across the clips it was no good. Emery board, electrical contact cleaner, and a wipe, and runs great again.

TROLLER
06-02-2017, 11:37 AM
So I just was checking and when I turn on the pump and hold my hand over the inlet you can feel no suction of any kind. Pump is running and I did put in a new fuse just because. Is this natural with this small a pump or is it perhaps a goner. Even tho I replaced it last fall. next thing to do is haul her out of the garage and hook up the hose I guess.

Duramaximos
06-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Well if it's not toast already, it will be if you keep running it dry like that.

Get a hose on it before attempting to test and prime.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

TROLLER
06-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Pulled it out of the garage and to the hose we go. Pump is working but no water coming out. Started at the well and removed the valve then hooked up the hose. Small sand type rocks came out and I think they were actually caught up in the valve not allowing the water to come through. After removing the valve the well filled up no problem. Darn dirty lakes. PCR in particular.

dodgeboy1979
06-04-2017, 03:16 PM
good to hear you got it fixed