PDA

View Full Version : What do I really need?

patriot1
06-02-2017, 06:42 AM
I want to get some fishing gear but every time I'm at store in the fishing aisle my head just starts spinning and I don't even know where to start and no matter where I go I just get ignored by staff and end up walking out. I just want to fish for fun at Ghost Lake or K-Country, and eat what I catch but all the rod/reel/lure combos possible damn near give me an aneurysm... I don't need top of the line "I live to fish" grade stuff but I don't want garbage either, I figure I have about $500 to spend on gear.

Any directions to be pointed in with size/specs/brands/models?

Also, do I need a license for every kind of fish I hope to catch? How does that work? (I have a win card and hunting license)

Thanks in advance

Solominotaur
06-02-2017, 07:37 AM
I want to get some fishing gear but every time I'm at store in the fishing aisle my head just starts spinning and I don't even know where to start and no matter where I go I just get ignored by staff and end up walking out. I just want to fish for fun at Ghost Lake or K-Country, and eat what I catch but all the rod/reel/lure combos possible damn near give me an aneurysm... I don't need top of the line "I live to fish" grade stuff but I don't want garbage either, I figure I have about $500 to spend on gear.

Also, do I need a license for every kind of fish I hope to catch? How does that work? (I have a win card and hunting license)

Thanks in advance
What kind of fishing did ya wanna do? Fly or spinning? Either way you can get a rod pre spooled. And you do need a fishing liscence but one liscence covers all fish that your allowed to catch depending where you are. I'd suggest getting a regulations book

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

Solominotaur
06-02-2017, 07:38 AM

Thanks in advance
If you live in the edmonton area I could help ya out. Any excuse to spend more time at a fish in shop

pinelakeperch
06-02-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm unfamiliar with the fishing in those areas, but I'd have to assume you'd be shore fishing for smaller trout and whitefish.

I'd look for a 6ft-6.5ft ultra light or light rod, paired with a Pflueger President reel and 4-6lb mono (Trilene Smooth Casting would suffice). I would advise against a pre-spooled combo, as the quality of the line is often poor. If you haven't spooled a reel before, check youtube. Simple process. This shouldn't cost you more than $150. Look for a combo (unspooled of course).

As for lures, buy some small jigs (1/8oz or less), Mepps spinners, small Len Thompson spoons, Rapala F7 in Rainbow or Brown, Gamakatsu octopus hooks, slip bobber supplies (bobbers, beads, bobber stops, pea shot weights), and some powerbait (make sure to read regulations on bait restrictions).

As far as licences go, all that is required is a Sport Fishing licence (~$30). That is unless you are fishing in a National Park. You'll be required to buy that particular licence.

This should cost you far less than $500. Good luck! Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have :)

dutchpirate
06-02-2017, 12:54 PM
This is what I love about forums like ours. such willingness to help out, +1 guys! Not wanting to make things complicated, but regarding licensing, for the most part, all you need is the regular license. However, there are some lakes that require a special license for certain species, the suggestion to get a copy of the regs is well taken, they will let you know if anything is specific to the lake you are on. Have fun!!

Solominotaur
06-02-2017, 01:26 PM
This is what I love about forums like ours. such willingness to help out, +1 guys! Not wanting to make things complicated, but regarding licensing, for the most part, all you need is the regular license. However, there are some lakes that require a special license for certain species, the suggestion to get a copy of the regs is well taken, they will let you know if anything is specific to the lake you are on. Have fun!!
Your very right, national park liscence and I totally forgot about the walleye tags for the year

patriot1
06-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Oh wow ok great! Thanks folks that's very informative yes I will pick up a regulations book for sure, now that I have a basic idea what to look for I'm pretty excited! And I just want to stick to regular fishing for now but who knows what will happen down the road!

pinelakeperch
06-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Oh wow ok great! Thanks folks that's very informative yes I will pick up a regulations book for sure, now that I have a basic idea what to look for I'm pretty excited! And I just want to stick to regular fishing for now but who knows what will happen down the road!

Good luck!

RayL42
06-02-2017, 04:00 PM
The staff at the fishing hole are better then the other shops for costumer service in my experience. jhutter's equipment list will catch you fish in the stocked ponds around Calgary. Ghost is hard to fish and takes some dedication to be successful.
Good Luck

millsboy79
06-02-2017, 05:00 PM
I would say the clearance section of Canadian tire for the rod ans reel and some 10lb braided line. There are a number of combo rod and reels on clearance depending on your local store.

Personally I would get a middle of the road rod / reel and good line before I would do the other way around.

millsboy79
06-02-2017, 05:09 PM
Also if you plan on fishing for walleye or pike I would avoid ultra light gear and go with a medium.

Better to have one rod that can do everything well than is only good for specific species.

Not that you CAN'T fish walleye with an ultra light just in my personal experience it is much easier to get a good hook set with something a little stiffer.

pinelakeperch
06-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Also if you plan on fishing for walleye or pike I would avoid ultra light gear and go with a medium.

Better to have one rod that can do everything well than is only good for specific species.

Not that you CAN'T fish walleye with an ultra light just in my personal experience it is much easier to get a good hook set with something a little stiffer.

Totally agree. Made the recommendation because I saw the specific Ghost Lake/K-Country location.

millsboy79
06-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Totally agree. Made the recommendation because I saw the specific Ghost Lake/K-Country location.

Totally understand, just tweaked the suggestion a little in case they were thinking of expanding their horizons a little.

I recently made the mistake of taking my ultra light to PCR and was very glad I had a back up.

pinelakeperch
06-02-2017, 06:47 PM
Totally understand, just tweaked the suggestion a little in case they were thinking of expanding their horizons a little.

I recently made the mistake of taking my ultra light to PCR and was very glad I had a back up.

How was the bite? I expected it to be decimated after the recent changes in the regulations.

wildwoods
06-02-2017, 08:25 PM
I believe in Barry Mitchell's fishing guide this year, there was an article in there about setting up for under $150. It was either in the fishing regulations or Barry Mitchell's. I forget. Very good article and worth looking for

Bushleague
06-02-2017, 11:50 PM
I would go with the Ugly Stik gx2 med action 6'6 combo. Spool the reel with 10-15 lb fireline and use a 6lb mono leader when fishing for trout. For lures a few 1/2 oz Len Thompson spoons and some lead head jigs will catch you pike and walleye most days. For trout smaller Len Thompsons, a few spinners, and a couple nymphs will have you covered.

Besides the lures you should have some terminal tackle for fishing bait. Pickerel rigs are cheap and easy for a beginner, and some 1-1.5 oz weights. For trout a couple small bobbers, split shot, and a few #6 hooks.

I'm pretty sure all that would come in well under $150 and have you catching fish most anywhere in Alberta for a long time.

millsboy79
06-03-2017, 06:07 AM
How was the bite? I expected it to be decimated after the recent changes in the regulations.
Wasn't too bad... think it will take more than a couple months to empty that place.

millsboy79
06-03-2017, 06:09 AM
I would go with the Ugly Stik gx2 med action 6'6 combo. Spool the reel with 10-15 lb fireline and use a 6lb mono leader when fishing for trout. For lures a few 1/2 oz Len Thompson spoons and some lead head jigs will catch you pike and walleye most days. For trout smaller Len Thompsons, a few spinners, and a couple nymphs will have you covered.

Besides the lures you should have some terminal tackle for fishing bait. Pickerel rigs are cheap and easy for a beginner, and some 1-1.5 oz weights. For trout a couple small bobbers, split shot, and a few #6 hooks.

I'm pretty sure all that would come in well under $150 and have you catching fish most anywhere in Alberta for a long time.
I have no problem with ugly sticks but the reels are not great at all. You can get so much better quality for the same price if you just check what's on sale.

Bushleague
06-03-2017, 06:24 AM
I have no problem with ugly sticks but the reels are not great at all. You can get so much better quality for the same price if you just check what's on sale.

I agree that the reels aren't terrific. But my kids have a few of these combo's that have been used pretty regularly for a couple seasons now and are still working fine. A Pflueger President on the same rod would be better, but for the same price as the combo I don't know what reel you would be putting on an Ugly Stik and coming out ahead. I'd be interested to hear.

millsboy79
06-03-2017, 08:23 AM
I agree that the reels aren't terrific. But my kids have a few of these combo's that have been used pretty regularly for a couple seasons now and are still working fine. A Pflueger President on the same rod would be better, but for the same price as the combo I don't know what reel you would be putting on an Ugly Stik and coming out ahead. I'd be interested to hear.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/zebco-recon-3-spin-combo-6-ft-6-in-0784864p.html#Clearance
Reg 99.99 Clear 39.93

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shimano-syncopate-2-piece-medium-spin-combo-fishing-rod-6-5-ft-0775401p.html#Clearance
Reg 99.99 Clear for 33.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/quantum-reax-spinning-combo-0782581p.html#Clearance
Reg 89.99 Clear 21.43

I would choose any of those before an ugly stick combo, it all depends where the person lives and what is on clearance at their local store.

Walleyedude
06-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Have you been to The Fishin Hole in Calgary?

My suggestion would be to stop in and talk to the guys there, they are excellent. Tell them what you're after and where, give them a budget, and they will get you the best possible gear for your situation.

I highly recommend them.

patriot1
06-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Went down to Wholesale this morning. Super friendly and helpful kid in the fishing section knew his stuff and explained to me several different options. Had a look at some Pfluger reels and the middle of the road ones were $79, not too too bad at all. They had a buy one get one 50% off sale which was perfect since I wanted to get one for my gf as well. ended up buying 2 7" Graphite Quantum Trax rod/reel combos, ($74.99 each) a bunch of hooks and sinkers in case I use regular live bait and I also picked up some 2.5" buzz bombs to start off with. Total (with license) just under $270 (with a case of shotgun shells too lol)

Bushleague
06-03-2017, 08:24 PM
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/zebco-recon-3-spin-combo-6-ft-6-in-0784864p.html#Clearance
Reg 99.99 Clear 39.93

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shimano-syncopate-2-piece-medium-spin-combo-fishing-rod-6-5-ft-0775401p.html#Clearance
Reg 99.99 Clear for 33.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/quantum-reax-spinning-combo-0782581p.html#Clearance
Reg 89.99 Clear 21.43

I would choose any of those before an ugly stick combo, it all depends where the person lives and what is on clearance at their local store.

My mind is blown at the concept of a $100 Zebco combo. I wouldn't fish any of those rods over an Ugly Stik myself, and while the combo might cost a bit more at least only the reel is a disposable piece of crap rather than the whole rig, which IMO is what you get with most combo's

Put this way, the only rod under $100 that I use is an Ugly Stik. If one can afford to put a better reel on one then one should, if not the combo is the next best thing and a better reel can be added later. Just my opinion.

millsboy79
06-03-2017, 09:04 PM
My mind is blown at the concept of a $100 Zebco combo. I wouldn't fish any of those rods over an Ugly Stik myself, and while the combo might cost a bit more at least only the reel is a disposable piece of crap rather than the whole rig, which IMO is what you get with most combo's

Put this way, the only rod under $100 that I use is an Ugly Stik. If one can afford to put a better reel on one then one should, if not the combo is the next best thing and a better reel can be added later. Just my opinion.
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but I 100% disagree with yours.

Bushleague
06-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion but I 100% disagree with yours.

And I'm 100% fine with that.

wildwoods
06-03-2017, 10:40 PM
$100 rod hands down a Med 6'6" Fenwick HMX or Eagle. Great walleye rods. I value a good rod over a good real every time. Starts with the rod and upgrade reel as funds allow.

Timidhc
06-04-2017, 02:21 AM
$100 rod hands down a Med 6'6" Fenwick HMX or Eagle. Great walleye rods. I value a good rod over a good real every time. Starts with the rod and upgrade reel as funds allow.

Just wondering why you'd prefer a good rod over a good reel? I only started fishing last year and I've been using a couple medium action, 6'6, two piece rods I found at a garage sale. I don't think I'm missing any bites and I can feel even the smallest 6" trout nibbling on my lure. However the drag on the reels was terrible and I was losing fish so I replaced them as soon as I could.
Is the difference between my crappy two pieces and a quality rod really worth $100+?

wildwoods
06-04-2017, 06:15 AM
Just wondering why you'd prefer a good rod over a good reel? I only started fishing last year and I've been using a couple medium action, 6'6, two piece rods I found at a garage sale. I don't think I'm missing any bites and I can feel even the smallest 6" trout nibbling on my lure. However the drag on the reels was terrible and I was losing fish so I replaced them as soon as I could.
Is the difference between my crappy two pieces and a quality rod really worth $100+?

Yes.
The ability to discern every bite but have the backbone to bring it in is critical. And you are correct- good reels are definitely important. I've found over the years that even lower quality ~$40 reels will give you good enough results. By all means if your garage sale reels stink-replace then! But you don't have to break the bank to get way better results. My theory is if you cannot detect fish to begin with, it's over before you even have the chance to evaluate your reel.
If you're happy with your garage sale rods ability to detect and shoulder the load of the fish then life's good! But generally I find the feel of the lower quality ugly sticks and zebcos etc... just don't have the feel of the fenwicks.
Now trolling with downriggers are a different story. I tend to say the reel is way more important than rod choice as the rod is preloaded for hookset basically. But that is more more deep water trout fishing so specific to shallow alberta lake walleye hunting-that's where i put higher emphasis on rod quality first. Again- then step in to a good reel when funds allow.

Bushleague
06-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Yes.
The ability to discern every bite but have the backbone to bring it in is critical. And you are correct- good reels are definitely important. I've found over the years that even lower quality ~$40 reels will give you good enough results. By all means if your garage sale reels stink-replace then! But you don't have to break the bank to get way better results. My theory is if you cannot detect fish to begin with, it's over before you even have the chance to evaluate your reel.
If you're happy with your garage sale rods ability to detect and shoulder the load of the fish then life's good! But generally I find the feel of the lower quality ugly sticks and zebcos etc... just don't have the feel of the fenwicks.
Now trolling with downriggers are a different story. I tend to say the reel is way more important than rod choice as the rod is preloaded for hookset basically. But that is more more deep water trout fishing so specific to shallow alberta lake walleye hunting-that's where i put higher emphasis on rod quality first. Again- then step in to a good reel when funds allow.

I have ugly stiks and I have Fenwicks, IMO there are a lot fewer situations where the higher sensitivity is important than many people think. I've probably lost at least as many fish in my life getting excited and setting the hook too quick as I have because I missed a light strike.

Jigging or drop shotting for walleye the sensitivity is undeniably a benefit, though IMO the new generation of UglyStiks are sensitive enough to do this. The old ones were deffinatly not good jigging rods. Ditto for catching rocky's, but in this situation you generally don't have that much line out and its pretty easy to feel the bite.

For most trolling, cast and retrieve, or bait fishing I don't think the sensitivity is all that important, heck... most people have their rods in a holder when fishing bait or trolling anyways so all the sensitivity in the world isn't doing a thing. Of more importance to me is having good backbone when I do set the hook, and IMO when trolling even the backbone isn't that crucial.

wildwoods
06-04-2017, 06:42 AM
I have ugly stiks and I have Fenwicks, IMO there are a lot fewer situations where the higher sensitivity is important than many people think. I've probably lost at least as many fish in my life getting excited and setting the hook too quick as I have because I missed a light strike.

Jigging or drop shotting for walleye the sensitivity is undeniably a benefit, though IMO the new generation of UglyStiks are sensitive enough to do this. The old ones were deffinatly not good jigging rods. Ditto for catching rocky's, but in this situation you generally don't have that much line out and its pretty easy to feel the bite.

For most trolling, cast and retrieve, or bait fishing I don't think the sensitivity is all that important, heck... most people have their rods in a holder when fishing bait or trolling anyways so all the sensitivity in the world isn't doing a thing. Of more importance to me is having good backbone when I do set the hook, and IMO when trolling even the backbone isn't that crucial.

And people wonder why they get skunked when the rods sitting in the holder all day lol. No reference to yourself- I don't know how you fish or whether or not you're a good angler. Just a general comment. You mentioned the need for sensitivity while drop shotting and jigging so I'm guessing you're no rookie.

Our New lake approach: we have a modified bottom bouncing rig for locating walleye. Then we sit on top of the school(or interesting structure)until we've exhausted that spot. Rinse and repeat. The only time the rod is in the holder is during that locating process.
Established spots: jigging bait and or skipping swim baits. Those two areas are critical to have a good rod- at least in my perspective.
I fully believe the higher quality rods have that backbone to couple with the sensitivity where the cheaper stuff you usually only get 1 of the two.

My theory in a nutshell:
A $40 reel will mimic a $300 reel better than a $30 rod will mimic a $150 rod. Hence why I tend to spend the money FIRST on the rod. Reels are über important but come second place- especially if we're taking budgets and "needs".

wildwoods
06-04-2017, 06:50 AM

Just read the whole thread and see we are actually saying the same thing.
I just have no experience withy the new ugly sticks. Hence why I am biased against them(I have an older one and it's basically only good for slip bobbers and trolling). I'm guessing these new ones you are referring to are higher quality.....

338 Rules
06-04-2017, 06:54 AM
For the type of fishing you are thinking of doing you can get everything you need at Walmart or Canadian Tire and it won't cost you very much, under $150.00 for sure.

Rhino rods are really good.

patriot1
06-04-2017, 10:10 AM
For the type of fishing you are thinking of doing you can get everything you need at Walmart or Canadian Tire and it won't cost you very much, under $150.00 for sure.

Rhino rods are really good.

I don't support Wal Mart and CT has awful awful non existent service and I'm pretty happy with the service I got at Wholesale Sports. Won't make it out till next weekend tho.

Bushleague
06-04-2017, 08:25 PM
And people wonder why they get skunked when the rods sitting in the holder all day lol. No reference to yourself- I don't know how you fish or whether or not you're a good angler. Just a general comment. You mentioned the need for sensitivity while drop shotting and jigging so I'm guessing you're no rookie.

Our New lake approach: we have a modified bottom bouncing rig for locating walleye. Then we sit on top of the school(or interesting structure)until we've exhausted that spot. Rinse and repeat. The only time the rod is in the holder is during that locating process.
Established spots: jigging bait and or skipping swim baits. Those two areas are critical to have a good rod- at least in my perspective.
I fully believe the higher quality rods have that backbone to couple with the sensitivity where the cheaper stuff you usually only get 1 of the two.

My theory in a nutshell:
A $40 reel will mimic a $300 reel better than a $30 rod will mimic a $150 rod. Hence why I tend to spend the money FIRST on the rod. Reels are über important but come second place- especially if we're taking budgets and "needs".

Even an Ugly Stik lovin' spoon chucker has to agree with those two statements.

Bushleague
06-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Just read the whole thread and see we are actually saying the same thing.
I just have no experience withy the new ugly sticks. Hence why I am biased against them(I have an older one and it's basically only good for slip bobbers and trolling). I'm guessing these new ones you are referring to are higher quality.....

Much more sensitive and a wicked backbone... only time will tell if they are as tough but I have high hopes.

Not saying that they are a great jigging rod, but they will do the job passibly, rather than not at all.

ETOWNCANUCK
06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
There's what you really need,

And then there is what you actually end up buying.

Boxes of tackle, assortment of rods and reels,
Maybe a boat.

And so forth.

Bet ya you can't just buy one.

Enjoy.

Canuk313
06-06-2017, 03:46 PM
There's what you really need,

And then there is what you actually end up buying.

Boxes of tackle, assortment of rods and reels,
Maybe a boat.

And so forth.

Bet ya you can't just buy one.

Enjoy.
^^this [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Bushleague
06-06-2017, 03:57 PM
^^this [emoji16]

Personally, I think if a guy has a couple spinning rods and a basic collection of tackle he's better off saving up for a boat. A boat of any sort will boost your catch rate far more than 50 lbs of tackle and a whole closet full of expensive rods. Shore bound anglers with huge tackle boxes and thousands invested in high tech fishing rods make me laugh.

Canuk313
06-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Personally, I think if a guy has a couple spinning rods and a basic collection of tackle he's better off saving up for a boat. A boat of any sort will boost your catch rate far more than 50 lbs of tackle and a whole closet full of expensive rods. Shore bound anglers with huge tackle boxes and thousands invested in high tech fishing rods make me laugh.
Definitely can't argue with that thinking.

patriot1
06-06-2017, 06:02 PM

Hahaha yep sounds like those guys at shooting ranges all Tac'd out with the vest and magazine holders on their belt and a 1911 so blinged out it would make a Mexican druglord jealous lmao

Canuk313
06-06-2017, 07:29 PM
A norinco 1911 no less. ?

That being said I have a norinco 1911 ?

Bushleague
06-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Hahaha yep sounds like those guys at shooting ranges all Tac'd out with the vest and magazine holders on their belt and a 1911 so blinged out it would make a Mexican druglord jealous lmao

I equate it more to hunters that have a whole safe full of rifles but cant afford a decent sleeping bag or good boots. You hang around on internet too long, listening to the gear junkies a little too much, and you're priorities get out of whack. You end up buying stuff that contributes to your actual outdoor experience very little.

RavYak
06-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Go to local fishin hole store and talk to the guys in there. They will give you the best advice, especially if you can talk to some of the more experienced knowledgable staff.

The big stores are often useless for help, even if you can find a person for help lots of time they won't know the answer to what you are asking.