PDA

View Full Version : Travers is hot

DiabeticKripple
06-03-2017, 09:43 PM
For the last week Travers has been hot. Went out tonight and caught 30 walleye and 2 pike myself in an hour and a half. The boat probably caught 60 walleye all together.

I was using just a jig head and a minnow, 15 FOW in front of the spillway. After a while I got bored and put a rattlin rap on and caught the 2 pike (one decent one) and a few walleyes.

waterninja
06-04-2017, 12:00 AM
Any pics?

DiabeticKripple
06-04-2017, 10:44 AM
Any pics?

Didn't take any but I will tonight.

Walleyes were decent size, many over the 43cm mark.

AK47
06-04-2017, 01:53 PM
For the last week Travers has been hot. Went out tonight and caught 30 walleye and 2 pike myself in an hour and a half. The boat probably caught 60 walleye all together.

I was using just a jig head and a minnow, 15 FOW in front of the spillway. After a while I got bored and put a rattlin rap on and caught the 2 pike (one decent one) and a few walleyes.

Not to rain on your happy fishing trip but here is what I think about it. I used to see days like that in Crawling walleye or Pine Coulee or Pigeon lake as well and it makes me really sad for few reasons.
From 90 walleye caught and released by two boats only at least 3 will die later based on hooking mortality odds. And how about other 30-50 boats on the same lake the same day? Seems to me that this 0 limit nonsense is resulting in way more suffering for the fish as they are getting overpopulated and easy to catch. As you said it becomes boring as it does not present any challenge to catch them! It makes us worse fishermen as we get lazy, we do not need to think about different presentation, bait, spots, etc... just cast anything and you will catch them. It stops angling from evolving as, seriously, why bother trying something new if you can catch 50-60 anyway???
If it would be catch and keep lake you catching and keeping 1 or 2 keepers would do much less damage than this catch and release nonsense.
There is a reason why in some of European countries catch and release is illegal.
Ever questioned why hunters do not practice snare and release?

waterninja
06-04-2017, 02:17 PM
Not to rain on your happy fishing trip but here is what I think about it. I used to see days like that in Crawling walleye or Pine Coulee or Pigeon lake as well and it makes me really sad for few reasons.
From 90 walleye caught and released by two boats only at least 3 will die later based on hooking mortality odds. And how about other 30-50 boats on the same lake the same day? Seems to me that this 0 limit nonsense is resulting in way more suffering for the fish as they are getting overpopulated and easy to catch. As you said it becomes boring as it does not present any challenge to catch them! It makes us worse fishermen as we get lazy, we do not need to think about different presentation, bait, spots, etc... just cast anything and you will catch them. It stops angling from evolving as, seriously, why bother trying something new if you can catch 50-60 anyway???
If it would be catch and keep lake you catching and keeping 1 or 2 keepers would do much less damage than this catch and release nonsense.
There is a reason why in some of European countries catch and release is illegal.

I'm not so sure about the lazy part, but it is nice to have a great day like that once in awhile.
I do agree about the mortality rate and the overpopulation problem. When we fish Lac St Anne we catch an awful lot of pike, and they are small and skinny.

DiabeticKripple
06-04-2017, 04:39 PM
I don't think a Travers has an overpopulation of fish. There isn't many pike, but there sure are some big hens in there.

If you can get on a concentration of fish, then you have no issues pulling them in like I did.

I'm gonna go out again tonight since it's so nice here, I'm going to use just the jigging rap, and once the fish start rising, I might try the fly rod to see what's rising.

DiabeticKripple
06-04-2017, 09:06 PM
Some pics from tonight as promised.

Just the girlfriend and I went out. Caught about 30 between us. I caught the biggest on the jigging rap.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/F9BDD5BB-B1B2-4B46-BF5D-5E10BA207279_zpsyypvylmu.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/F9BDD5BB-B1B2-4B46-BF5D-5E10BA207279_zpsyypvylmu.jpg.html)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/EC663E08-BCE1-4FE1-A23C-5240B432691D_zpsluawfmuk.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/EC663E08-BCE1-4FE1-A23C-5240B432691D_zpsluawfmuk.jpg.html)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/7E8E04EB-ACA3-4887-822B-9AA5A6F32CE0_zpsmzvz8ijs.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/7E8E04EB-ACA3-4887-822B-9AA5A6F32CE0_zpsmzvz8ijs.jpg.html)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/714D18D1-0A85-4128-B3F4-8E99E56DC17E_zpszs9vrasj.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/714D18D1-0A85-4128-B3F4-8E99E56DC17E_zpszs9vrasj.jpg.html)

She caught a "nasty" little pike

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/051E2263-CBD4-4164-A435-7DCB6CA19E09_zpsylnmtlwp.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/051E2263-CBD4-4164-A435-7DCB6CA19E09_zpsylnmtlwp.jpg.html)

Biggest of the night

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/BDEBEE8C-FF15-47BB-BA2F-80DCEE25CEF7_zpsibsuxt3a.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/BDEBEE8C-FF15-47BB-BA2F-80DCEE25CEF7_zpsibsuxt3a.jpg.html)

huntsfurfish
06-04-2017, 09:23 PM

So you dont want catch and release fishing? Guess we should ban fishing with bait? Maybe fishing all together? The hunting comment is just ridiculous. Guess the government should just issue 2 tags per year soon as you catch your 2 fish your done for the year.
Great reasoning AK47, really glad you are not involved in the decision making. I for the most part practice catch and release and I am a voice for the meat fishermen too. But guys like you make me wonder why.:sign0176:

AK47
06-05-2017, 07:04 AM
So you dont want catch and release fishing? Guess we should ban fishing with bait? Maybe fishing all together? The hunting comment is just ridiculous. Guess the government should just issue 2 tags per year soon as you catch your 2 fish your done for the year.
Great reasoning AK47, really glad you are not involved in the decision making. I for the most part practice catch and release and I am a voice for the meat fishermen too. But guys like you make me wonder why.:sign0176:

I have no problem with catching and releasing few undersized fish or huge spawners. My issue is zero limits in places where people catching and releasing 50-60 or 100's undersized fish. That makes no sense both from fisheries managing perspective and as well from animal welfare point.
Your point about bait ban is great. Hooking mortality is much higher when fishing with bait - thus introducing bait ban would reduce it significantly. It would improve quality of fishing as well as it would challenge people and make them try new techniques, methods and lures.
And finally, tell me if slot size limits would not make sense - lets say 50-60 cm for walleye and 65-80 cm for pike. Let people keep 2-3 within slot size. This way smaller fish has a chance to grow and spawn at least few times before reaching slot size and bigger spawners are safely going back to continue producing.
As far as tag system goes - that is just another money grab for government, you paid for fishing licence, why would you need to pay extra to keep 1 walleye? Just ridiculous.

ecsuplander
06-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Just because you allow some harvest of fish, that doesn't mean people stop fishing when they catch their limit They may continue to fish and release fish after they have reached their limit. Now you have harvest reducing fish numbers as well as catch and release mortality reducing population numbers.

ETOWNCANUCK
06-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Start your own thread if you want to complain.

Nice catching DK,

And the fish look good too.

huntsfurfish
06-05-2017, 12:53 PM
I have no problem with catching and releasing few undersized fish or huge spawners. My issue is zero limits in places where people catching and releasing 50-60 or 100's undersized fish. That makes no sense both from fisheries managing perspective and as well from animal welfare point.
Your point about bait ban is great. Hooking mortality is much higher when fishing with bait - thus introducing bait ban would reduce it significantly. It would improve quality of fishing as well as it would challenge people and make them try new techniques, methods and lures.
And finally, tell me if slot size limits would not make sense - lets say 50-60 cm for walleye and 65-80 cm for pike. Let people keep 2-3 within slot size. This way smaller fish has a chance to grow and spawn at least few times before reaching slot size and bigger spawners are safely going back to continue producing.
As far as tag system goes - that is just another money grab for government, you paid for fishing licence, why would you need to pay extra to keep 1 walleye? Just ridiculous.

Why would you want to harass spawning fish? Did you know that the fish concentrate around the spill way areas? Did you know that there was a meeting which included extending the "no fishing" zone in that area to help protect the fish(which I attended and helped push for)? Fisheries management is doing better without you.;) :)

Slot sizes are in effect already with the use of tags and is monitored(limited tags). Plus your example of keeping 2 or 3 in 50 - 60 range is pretty much what we have. General use of slots in AB would be dangerous with the budgets we have and even if monitored closer would still be easy to collapse fisheries due to the limited amount of fishable water and limited fish in general.
Fisheries close to Calgary and Edmonton see lots of pressure. Populations have increased and the pressure for the few fish we have has increased.
But that said, you can keep all the prussian carp you can catch.:)

And your last paragraph is laughable.

AK47
06-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Why would you want to harass spawning fish? Did you know that the fish concentrate around the spill way areas? Did you know that there was a meeting which included extending the "no fishing" zone in that area to help protect the fish(which I attended and helped push for)? Fisheries management is doing better without you.;) :)

Slot sizes are in effect already with the use of tags and is monitored(limited tags). Plus your example of keeping 2 or 3 in 50 - 60 range is pretty much what we have. General use of slots in AB would be dangerous with the budgets we have and even if monitored closer would still be easy to collapse fisheries due to the limited amount of fishable water and limited fish in general.
Fisheries close to Calgary and Edmonton see lots of pressure. Populations have increased and the pressure for the few fish we have has increased.
But that said, you can keep all the prussian carp you can catch.:)

And your last paragraph is laughable.

Where did I say that I want to harass spawning fish? Please do not accuse me of something I never said or done... never fished during spawn or planning to do that. To clarify, by saying huge spawners I mean large size, mature fish which is best at spawning and producing most viable fry - not the fish caught during spawn.
Why me thinking that it is ridiculous to pay for tags when you already paid for fishing licence is laughable? You have lakes where you can catch 50-60 walleye a day but government wants you to pay extra for 1 keeper? How is this making any sense???
Anyway, I don't expect you to agree. You can keep enjoying catching and releasing 50-60 small walleye a day - this kind of fishing is not for me and certainly not for everybody.

Pikebreath
06-05-2017, 01:39 PM
What bothers me are the guys who keep a legal limit where allowed and then catch and release another 10-20-30 plus fish after that!

IMHO, if you retain your legal limit, you should stop fishing!!!

Tigger72
06-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Nice derail!!

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 01:47 PM
What bothers me are the guys who keep a legal limit where allowed and then catch and release another 10-20-30 plus fish after that!

IMHO, if you retain your legal limit, you should stop fishing!!!
So no fishing in all zero retention waters? At all? Ridiculous

That would make you literally an anti.

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Where did I say that I want to harass spawning fish? Please do not accuse me of something I never said or done... never fished during spawn or planning to do that. To clarify, by saying huge spawners I mean large size, mature fish which is best at spawning and producing most viable fry - not the fish caught during spawn.
Why me thinking that it is ridiculous to pay for tags when you already paid for fishing licence is laughable? You have lakes where you can catch 50-60 walleye a day but government wants you to pay extra for 1 keeper? How is this making any sense???
Anyway, I don't expect you to agree. You can keep enjoying catching and releasing 50-60 small walleye a day - this kind of fishing is not for me and certainly not for everybody.

How about catching and releasing 100-200 beautiful healthy Walleye. Happens on a regular basis and wait for it.......
Populations are still exploding!
So basically you're an anti as well.

Sorry for the derail OP. Maybe a new thread can be started. This is mind blowing. Congrats on some great days and keep doing what you're doing-enjoying sustainable, catch and release angling. I know I will once me leg is feeling better

Okotokian
06-05-2017, 01:53 PM
My issue is zero limits in places where people catching and releasing 50-60 or 100's undersized fish. .

Please, point me to that lake and tell me what to throw. I don't catch that many fish in a 2 or 3 year period.

And if you CAN catch 100 fish a day, I'd say the population in that lake isn't hurting one bit.

I know some European jurisdictions have a "no C&R" policy, but I wouldn't want to see that here. You go out and catch a fish on your first cast. Great. you're done. Pack up and go home. And it's not the same as hunting. You can see the deer, and if it's too small, doesn't fit your criteria, etc., you can just let it walk.

huntsfurfish
06-05-2017, 02:07 PM

I responded to your first sentence.:) Thats where you said it, nice back peddle though.

Having a hunting licence does not allow you to shoot a deer unless you have a tag:). My turn with the hunting version.:)
Besides, not all water bodies require tags, but they all require a licence.

Certain times of the year fish are concentrated and and that makes it easier to catch 50-60 fish per day, heck even a hundred. That does not indicate in itself that the lake is over-populated with fish. Probably a fair number of fishermen with no fish or just a few.

As for the use of tags, it is a just another way to manage the fishery. It is really quite sad that people cant see that or understand that. The laughable part was the comment on the money grab.

50 to 60 fish per day is just another slow day for me and usually 2-3 keepers or more that I put back so you can keep them.

edit: Dr advised me to eat more fish so I might start keeping some.

edit2: Fish concentrate in certain places as well as during certain times.
Spillways being just one of those places:)

huntsfurfish
06-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I also apologize to the OP for being part of the derail.
Looks like you had fun. Great pics and hope you can do it again!

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 02:21 PM
I also apologize to the OP for being part of the derail.
Looks like you had fun. Great pics and hope you can do it again!

No need to apologize I think. You defended what he was doing and I think it needed to be said. I'm with you 100% on this one

AK47
06-05-2017, 02:30 PM
50 to 60 fish per day is just another slow day for me and usually 2-3 keepers or more that I put back so you can keep them.

So on a slow day you still kill 1-2 fish due to hooking mortality.
I keep my couple walleye a year anyway... just makes me to drive further from home to the lakes or rivers where you can still keep them. And I do not fish past I reach my limit, to me it is time to go home and be thankful for great day.

AK47
06-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Please, point me to that lake and tell me what to throw. I don't catch that many fish in a 2 or 3 year period.

And if you CAN catch 100 fish a day, I'd say the population in that lake isn't hurting one bit.

I know some European jurisdictions have a "no C&R" policy, but I wouldn't want to see that here. You go out and catch a fish on your first cast. Great. you're done. Pack up and go home. And it's not the same as hunting. You can see the deer, and if it's too small, doesn't fit your criteria, etc., you can just let it walk.

Well, OP just told you, Travers and jig and minnow. You can even figure out where exactly he was fishing from pictures. Crawling Valley, Pigeon is about the same.
My point about population exactly - if is not hurting - why 0 limit??
I am not for catch and keep only, I think it is another extreme where
government implements laws without common sense. Undersized fish should be released. But when you have slot limits you do not target undersized fish thus you never end up with 100 of them unless you fishing Pigeon or Pine Coulee ( before zero limit was lifted).

AK47
06-05-2017, 02:41 PM
How about catching and releasing 100-200 beautiful healthy Walleye. Happens on a regular basis and wait for it.......
Populations are still exploding!

Since 3-6 from 100-200 would die anyway it would be still the same if 3-6 would be kept. Plus I doubt you can catch 100-200 beautiful healthy size ( 35-40 cm does not count!) walleye in 0 limit lake . Typically they do not grow to good sizes if there is no harvest of some kind. Mother nature will step in and they will either get stunted or some disease will hit due to overpopulation.

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Since 3-6 from 100-200 would die anyway it would be still the same if 3-6 would be kept. Plus I doubt you can catch 100-200 beautiful healthy size ( 35-40 cm does not count!) walleye in 0 limit lake . Typically they do not grow to good sizes if there is no harvest of some kind. Mother nature will step in and they will either get stunted or some disease will hit due to overpopulation.

Haha ok. 206 last year. maybe one or two pike amongst them. All healthy walleye over 43 cm. Might have had half dozen under that. You would honestly enjoy driving to the lake and catch a couple fish just to turn around and drive home right away. Again that's ridiculous.
So where did your mortality "stats" come from?
If catch and release is so terrible, why are lakes making a comeback and thriving these days?
If it aint broke dont fix it right?
Apparently not! You're trying to "fix" a problem that doesn't exist.
For how lousy our lakes are clarity wise, the opportunity is there to go out a few short hrs from home and have banner days. And you want to mess with that?!
now I think I've heard it all

MathewsArcher
06-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Crawling Valley and St. Mary's are pretty easy to hit those numbers at on Walleye

huntsfurfish
06-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Crawling Valley and St. Mary's are pretty easy to hit those numbers at on Walleye

Almost all southern reservoirs are capable of producing those kinds of numbers at times.

huntsfurfish
06-05-2017, 04:47 PM
So on a slow day you still kill 1-2 fish due to hooking mortality.
I keep my couple walleye a year anyway... just makes me to drive further from home to the lakes or rivers where you can still keep them. And I do not fish past I reach my limit, to me it is time to go home and be thankful for great day.

So is it best we dont fish at all?
Bet many days I dont kill any fish. But yes some do die. And I even keep one or 2 a year some years. But I strive to kill zero fish. Dont let fish swallow the hook, use artificial hooks for trout now. And have good fish handling skills. Have necessary tools handy for both me and partner.
If you want to eat fish, buy them at the store, its far cheaper or do like I do and visit Joeys on All You can Eat Tuesdays.:);)
There are just not enough fish to go round to satisfy everyone. As soon as you realize this the sooner you will get off your horse(I hope).
I enjoy fishing and I respect those that would like to eat some. I also try to push for both sides and if it is at all possible to accommodate both sides, as it should be.
Another option for the eaters would be to eat species that are still available in numbers. Trout, whitefish, goldeye and the soon to be plentiful Prussian Carp(actually already is in some areas).

MathewsArcher
06-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Almost all southern reservoirs are capable of producing those kinds of numbers at times.

X2

AK47
06-05-2017, 05:01 PM
If you want to eat fish, buy them at the store, its far cheaper or do like I do and visit Joeys on All You can Eat Tuesdays.:);)
There are just not enough fish to go round to satisfy everyone. As soon as you realize this the sooner you will get off your horse(I hope).

Why do you assume I am some kind of maniac fish eater? I keep 2-3 walleye a year for eating at most. But I want to have an option to keep fish if I hook into decent one worth keeping and do not target them in numbers for fun as I do not want to hurt them.
But somehow wanting to ban bait for fishing and implement slot limits makes me more dangerous to fish population than 100 walleye catching and releasing guy?

AK47
06-05-2017, 05:03 PM
So where did your mortality "stats" come from?

http://www.westernsportsman.com/2014/01/fish-mortality-catch-and-release/

Based on this article it can vary from types of bait, depth where fish was caught and water temperature. Surprisingly barbed or barbless hooks did not make a difference.
BTW rates here are much higher then I was estimating - not 3% but 10-11% or more if fished with bait or in temperatures of + 20C.
So from your 200 walleye 20 may have been killed. Keep ignoring the stats.

millsboy79
06-05-2017, 05:18 PM

Based on this article it can vary from types of bait, depth where fish was caught and water temperature. Surprisingly barbed or barbless hooks did not make a difference.
BTW rates here are much higher then I was estimating - not 3% but 10-11% or more.
So from your 200 walleye 20 may have been killed. Good job.

I am still not sure your point ... so 20 walleye died and were probably eaten by the big lazy pike in there resulting in bigger pike and If you took your imagined limit and caught your last keeper at the end of the day then you would have 20 that died plus the ones you kept.

Now I'm not a doctor but its sounds like the keeping fish resulted in more dead fish than a C&R day.

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 05:21 PM

BTW rates here are much higher then I was estimating - not 3% but 10-11% or more.
So from your 200 walleye 20 may have been killed. Good job.

I watch every walleye swim away. Never had a floater yet. Means they all live? No. But very few die. Good, clean lip hooks and minimal handling will do that.
You're an anti fisherman. It's clear. Hooking fish kills them so ban fishing. It's ridiculous.
The fact that populations are rebounding nicely proves that C&R is not decimating populations. Their current management plan is working. Some places "too well". But that's a separate debate.

People have been C&R for many many years. And we have sustainable populations. You can pull all the numbers off the internet you like. The proof is right there at the lake.
I'm still shaking my head. Ban C&R. Wow

AK47
06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
I watch every walleye swim away. Never had a floater yet. Means they all live? No. But very few die. Good, clean lip hooks and minimal handling will do that.
You're an anti fisherman. It's clear. Hooking fish kills them so ban fishing. It's ridiculous.
. Ban C&R. Wow

LOL, since when did I say ban C&R? I am against 0 limit lakes with overpopulation of walleye as a source for C&R only.

Here is another article

http://www.startribune.com/hooking-mortality-count-one-more-mille-lacs-sore-point/369546751/

"For two years in a row now, Mille Lacs anglers have killed more walleyes in the process of catching and releasing them than they have by catching them for keeps. Both forms of death count against the allocation, and an unexpected surge in hooking mortality last July pushed Mille Lacs past its seasonal walleye limit and prompted a shocking, midseason shutdown of walleye fishing."

Yet some of you guys are convinced that you do no harm.

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 05:48 PM
LOL, since when did I say ban C&R? I am against 0 limit lakes with overpopulation of walleye as a source for C&R only.

Here is another article

http://www.startribune.com/hooking-mortality-count-one-more-mille-lacs-sore-point/369546751/

"For two years in a row now, Mille Lacs anglers have killed more walleyes in the process of catching and releasing them than they have by catching them for keeps. Both forms of death count against the allocation, and an unexpected surge in hooking mortality last July pushed Mille Lacs past its seasonal walleye limit and prompted a shocking, midseason shutdown of walleye fishing."

Yet some of you guys are convinced that you do no harm.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=323039 as to not continue the derail

You are against C&R. How can you say you're not? Zero retention waters would mean Zero fishing if you get your way.

Anyways. check out the thread and we can continue there if you wish.

AK47
06-05-2017, 05:52 PM
The proof is right there at the lake.

Well, I see my proof right at the lakes where there is no 0 limit as well.

AK47
06-05-2017, 05:54 PM
You are against C&R. How can you say you're not? Zero retention waters would mean Zero fishing if you get your way.

I do not understand. If you have slot size limit and bait ban how does that mean no fishing? It means perfectly fine sport angling with a chance to keep few fish if you managed to catch some and you want to keep them.

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
I do not understand. If you have slot size limit and bait ban how does that mean no fishing? It means perfectly fine sport angling with a chance to keep few fish if you managed to catch some and you want to keep them.

I guess I don't understand.
You said zero C&R after limit was caught. Your articles point out the danger to fish (mortality rates) as a product of C&R. You cant have it both ways

AK47
06-05-2017, 08:09 PM
I guess I don't understand.
You said zero C&R after limit was caught.

That's what I do. In no way I am suggesting to make it a law.

wildwoods
06-05-2017, 08:39 PM
That's what I do. In no way I am suggesting to make it a law.

Could have fooled me. Citing how it's illegal in Europe. Getting after the OP for how many fish he's killed via C and R. Getting after me for how many fish I killed. Pretty vocal stance for something you are "OK" with.
You can't come on an open forum and get after someone about catch and release and how evil it is without expecting to get flamed. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But you do suffer the repercussions of pushing it on other people…

huntsfurfish
06-05-2017, 09:57 PM

So you only fish once or twice a year.:)

You do not seem to like fishing.

Ok AK47, so this is all just because you are ticked off at 0 limits or are you just trolling?
You have said a lot of things but dont mean them?

Solution is go to a lake where you can keep a fish. Catch and release is legal and even promoted in AB. Maybe you would be happier some where else, like Europe.:)

Anyway, most fishermen like to catch fish, some like to keep em, some dont. Stopping one or the other is not good for either. There are enough people trying to shut down hunting and fishing without having a member of AO trying to accomplish the same thing.

DiabeticKripple
06-05-2017, 10:10 PM
Seems like AK47 would like to see all fishing shut down because some fish are hurt in the process.

FISHBATTEREDBEER
06-05-2017, 11:30 PM
Lots of crazy posts on here!! So to be clear,if the fish are biting crazy I should just catch my limit "if the lake has a limit" ,pack up and go home?Glad I spent $600 on fuel and food,40k+ on a boat,bought my tags and fishing license for 30 yrs to do this!

Guess what I will fish til it hurts when the bite is on,I gave up on hunting because of all the stupid rules and no trespassing signs every second field.I pay my taxes,I bought my own toys,my license,tags etc...I will fish on!

To the original poster,keep on fishin,its your right!

BuckCuller
06-06-2017, 08:11 AM

If you made it so you could keep a couple walleye a day you would drastically raise the amount of pressure put on the lake which would create more harvest and more fisherman and if you add a slot limit to that with the increase of fisherman would be the increase of catch and release therefore causing way more mortality. You haven't thought this all the way through it's time to go back to the drawing board.
Lakes like pigeon, sylvan and Gull are all good examples of what catch and release does to help walleye populations recover.
However when they start using a tag system they should be using a slot size for retention.

AK47
06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
So you only fish once or twice a year.:)

You do not seem to like fishing.

Some people have other things in life to do, plus I do not fish for walleye all the time. I used to fish for walleye way more often when Travers was not a 0 limit lake. Now to get to the lake where you can keep walleye is 3-4 hrs trip, not everybody has that much free time on our hands.
You don't know me so it is laughable for you to claim I do not like fishing.

AK47
06-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Lakes like pigeon, sylvan and Gull are all good examples of what catch and release does to help walleye populations recover.

When were those lakes not a 0 limit for walleye? Not for last 15 years at least. I would love to see data on fish size at the times if they were keeper lakes at some point.

AK47
06-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Seems like AK47 would like to see all fishing shut down because some fish are hurt in the process.

Never said that.

AK47
06-06-2017, 09:27 AM
If you made it so you could keep a couple walleye a day you would drastically raise the amount of pressure put on the lake.

Yes, if you make one lake like that. Now we have tons of lakes with zero limit and overpopulated by walleye or pike. Make them all keeper lakes but ban bait fishing and the pressure would be distributed evenly and hooking mortality would be much less as well. Half of the people who catch walleye with bait have no clue how to catch it with artificial bait anyway. Especially the ones fishing from shore who only know how to cast pickerel rigs with minnows.

AK47
06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Could have fooled me. Citing how it's illegal in Europe. Getting after the OP for how many fish he's killed via C and R. Getting after me for how many fish I killed. Pretty vocal stance for something you are "OK" with.

I am not going after you or OP. Just pointing to the fact that if I catch and keep couple walleye and release few undersized in the process I am not doing any more damage to population compared to the one who catches and releases 50-60.
European example was just about few countries. And as I said it is another extreme which I do not really support. Angler should have an option. Now in most of the lakes of Alberta we have no option but not to fish if you would prefer to keep your catch.

BuckCuller
06-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Yes, if you make one lake like that. Now we have tons of lakes with zero limit and overpopulated by walleye or pike. Make them all keeper lakes but ban bait fishing and the pressure would be distributed evenly and hooking mortality would be much less as well. Half of the people who catch walleye with bait have no clue how to catch it with artificial bait anyway. Especially the ones fishing from shore who only know how to cast pickerel rigs with minnows.

Central Alberta does not have enough lakes compared to the population to support a catch limit like you are suggesting. It would decimate the walleye in no time. I fished both pigeon and Gull when you could keep walleye and the fishing was very tough for walleyes. With that slot limit idea and a two a day limit you would create way more catch and release mortality then there is now. And the average size was 17 -20.5 inches was what I would catch.

steelhead
06-06-2017, 11:38 PM
So far, in this discussion, I have to side with AK-47 on this one. He makes perfect sense.

The other fella's, not so much.

Poor research on their part, in many aspects.

STEELHEAD

And quit putting words into AK's mouth. If you have no rational counterpoints, the next best thing to do is twist his words, I guess. Must mean you ran outta points to make. Liberal voters?

SNAPFisher
06-07-2017, 08:04 AM
So far, in this discussion, I have to side with AK-47 on this one. He makes perfect sense.

The other fella's, not so much.

Poor research on their part, in many aspects.

STEELHEAD

And quit putting words into AK's mouth. If you have no rational counterpoints, the next best thing to do is twist his words, I guess. Must mean you ran outta points to make. Liberal voters?

All this because someone was nice enough to post about good fishing. This thread is derailed. That is the point. Thanks for coming out.

Walleyedude
06-07-2017, 08:21 AM
All this because someone was nice enough to post about good fishing. This thread is derailed. That is the point. Thanks for coming out.

EXACTLY.

No wonder people don't post their fishing reports on this forum...

LutherDLG
06-08-2017, 11:33 AM
EXACTLY.

No wonder people don't post their fishing reports on this forum...

In an effort to recover the original purpose of the thread...the fishing at Travers has indeed been hot. We were slow trolling to find schools and then we'd anchor and it would be lights out for 20 minutes until they moved on. Just jigging with smelts. Here's one of the bigger ones we caught. Thanks for the reports DK.

SNAPFisher
06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
In an effort to recover the original purpose of the thread...the fishing at Travers has indeed been hot. We were slow trolling to find schools and then we'd anchor and it would be lights out for 20 minutes until they moved on. Just jigging with smelts. Here's one of the bigger ones we caught. Thanks for the reports DK.

Nice! That is a fatty wallie!

DiabeticKripple
06-25-2017, 11:37 PM
It's still hot. Caught about 40-50 myself tonight while the girls only caught about 15 between the two of them ;)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/1312CA0D-5461-4C3E-9D05-33E2CA3D5CAE_zps7t6gvdjo.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/1312CA0D-5461-4C3E-9D05-33E2CA3D5CAE_zps7t6gvdjo.jpg.html)

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/ECE46331-4117-4CCA-8073-D78348D8BAD6_zpshucdwnrj.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/ECE46331-4117-4CCA-8073-D78348D8BAD6_zpshucdwnrj.jpg.html)

Biggest of the night

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb410/DiabeticKripple/2FC52210-3488-45B4-BF92-0D8F51AA5C52_zps7kd1s20e.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/DiabeticKripple/media/2FC52210-3488-45B4-BF92-0D8F51AA5C52_zps7kd1s20e.jpg.html)

Lots of real small ones too. All different kinds of age classes so there is a good spawn going on in the lake.

couleefolk
06-26-2017, 12:14 AM
So I'm just curious, if there are all these little guys, are there not some bigger ones that could be targeted, maybe somewhere else? I know we have been out where we were pulling in 26" Walleyes consistently, and they just seem to be a little more fun for us compared to the little guys. I'm not a Walleye guy, I'm just asking if the bite is just not on for the bigger ones like it is for the little guys. Personally, if I know there are bigger fish to be had, those are the ones I will go hunting after. If only the little guys are biting, then I'm happy with that as long as I can wet my line. With the bite on like that, it is also the best time to take kids fishing.

Talking moose
06-26-2017, 12:21 AM
Fish look a bit on the skinny side...(I know they are small and not gonna have any sag to the bellies yet, but to me they look malnourished.) on that note, right on to great fishing!

DiabeticKripple
06-26-2017, 12:44 AM
I've caught some with big heads and skinny bodies, and I also caught a few tonight with pot bellies on them.

It seems the bigger fish (21"-26") are thriving and they are always the chubby ones.

The one in the last pic looks skinny because of the flared gills. It was a healthy fish.

bigskinner
06-26-2017, 02:47 AM
not to rain on your happy fishing trip but here is what i think about it. I used to see days like that in crawling walleye or pine coulee or pigeon lake as well and it makes me really sad for few reasons.
From 90 walleye caught and released by two boats only at least 3 will die later based on hooking mortality odds. And how about other 30-50 boats on the same lake the same day? Seems to me that this 0 limit nonsense is resulting in way more suffering for the fish as they are getting overpopulated and easy to catch. As you said it becomes boring as it does not present any challenge to catch them! It makes us worse fishermen as we get lazy, we do not need to think about different presentation, bait, spots, etc... Just cast anything and you will catch them. It stops angling from evolving as, seriously, why bother trying something new if you can catch 50-60 anyway???
There is a reason why in some of european countries catch and release is illegal.

absolutely agree

bigskinner
06-26-2017, 02:58 AM

Hes right again , also he never said he was doing anything to harass spawners , it was the other chap who said they caught and released 50/60 fish , and his finger prints and bacteria are now all over them fish threatning disease

bigskinner
06-26-2017, 03:22 AM
Lots of crazy posts on here!! So to be clear,if the fish are biting crazy I should just catch my limit "if the lake has a limit" ,pack up and go home?Glad I spent $600 on fuel and food,40k+ on a boat,bought my tags and fishing license for 30 yrs to do this!

Guess what I will fish til it hurts when the bite is on,I gave up on hunting because of all the stupid rules and no trespassing signs every second field.I pay my taxes,I bought my own toys,my license,tags etc...I will fish on!

To the original poster,keep on fishin,its your right!

Just the opposite for me , lf l get up at 5am to go fishing , spend 100 bucks for gas etc , then get to the lake just to release every fish l catch , that's a joke , l love to eat fish , why would l throw any back if l,m allowed to keep 3 .
lf some of you like to fish just to play it out ,and then release it , what kind of fun is that .
Go home in your back yard , tie your fishing line to your dogs collar , or make a lasso out of your line , throw it at your dog , and catch him around his neck , and WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO dog onnnn, , dog will make runs back and forth , he may even jump , you can holler woooo eeeeeeee, and when he gets tired , then you can release him and try again , sound stupid , yes , same as catch and release , ohhhhhhh , forgot , you can kiss your dog too after you release him , same as you do with your fish , GREAT FUN , and look at the money you,ll save , and you wont have to clean any fish.:thinking-006:

EZM
06-26-2017, 08:29 AM
To continually derail a thread with worthless dribble unrelated to the original post, like you have with this one, is disrespectful. Now you have the peanut gallery chirping in as well.

Go start another thread. And bring a fire extinguisher with you.

If people who are interested in having that conversation with you will contribute to that thread.

I would like to thank the OP from posting this thread, I'm glad you had a good time out at Travers and thanks for posting pictures. Many of us love to see how others are making out and see what their catching. Next time you are up this way, give me a call, we can get out to Wabamun where we met last time. I enjoyed meeting with you.

The walleye fishing there is insane !!!! Seems like you park your boat and they just jump into your lap !!! lol

dodger
06-26-2017, 09:38 AM
To continually derail a thread with worthless dribble unrelated to the original post, like you have with this one, is disrespectful. Now you have the peanut gallery chirping in as well.

If people who are interested in having that conversation with you will contribute to that thread.

I would like to thank the OP from posting this thread, I'm glad you had a good time out at Travers and thanks for posting pictures. Many of us love to see how others are making out and see what their catching. Next time you are up this way, give me a call, we can get out to Wabamun where we met last time. I enjoyed meeting with you.

The walleye fishing there is insane !!!! Seems like you park your boat and they just jump into your lap !!! lol

This ^^^^^
Dodger

DiabeticKripple
06-26-2017, 10:13 AM

I will have to take you up on your offer as I live in Red Deer now and could drive up now problem.

The fishing here really turned on the last 2 years. Before it was hard to catch anything other than 10" fish and crayfish at the spillway, but this year and last have been awesome. Barely any crayfish and lots of big fish. Last year my biggest was 28"

Talking moose
06-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Just the opposite for me , lf l get up at 5am to go fishing , spend 100 bucks for gas etc , then get to the lake just to release every fish l catch , that's a joke , l love to eat fish , why would l throw any back if l,m allowed to keep 3 .
lf some of you like to fish just to play it out ,and then release it , what kind of fun is that .
Go home in your back yard , tie your fishing line to your dogs collar , or make a lasso out of your line , throw it at your dog , and catch him around his neck , and WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO dog onnnn, , dog will make runs back and forth , he may even jump , you can holler woooo eeeeeeee, and when he gets tired , then you can release him and try again , sound stupid , yes , same as catch and release , ohhhhhhh , forgot , you can kiss your dog too after you release him , same as you do with your fish , GREAT FUN , and look at the money you,ll save , and you wont have to clean any fish.:thinking-006:

You hunt right? That's just idiotic. Why would anyone spend money on fuel for scouting, fuel for hunting, cartridges, an arsenal of guns, wake up at ungodly hours, buy skinning knives, buy scopes, spend hours training dogs to point/flush/retrieve, purchase quads to help retrieve game, pay for licensing and tags, etc etc etc, when you can just buy a cow from a farmer or a pack of pork chops from the store to get your protein. Why waste hours and hours in the field each fall when you can be at home helping raise your family or making money to better support your family? I just don't get it.

huntsfurfish
06-26-2017, 12:17 PM
What many seem to forget, is that catch and release is just another fish management tool. A tool that allows more fishing opportunities and allows larger populations and quality fisheries.

Times have changed from fishing for food to fishing for sport. Change is hard for some.

Limits are provided to help manage fish stocks. While they may not be to your individual tastes, they are pretty good and I think getting better.
People were pushing for better walleye fishing after walleye crashed in much of Alberta. Catch and release and with lower limits. They got it!
Walleye fisheries more or less shut down and low limits have impacted other species like pike and perch. People had to eat something. Now they are imposing 0 limits for pike in many water bodies. They too will recover.
Lots of fishermen/women in Alberta and limited fishing opportunities make catch and release necessary in Alberta and in most of the rest of the world!

Once again, sorry OP.

edit: I also will support those that wish to keep a fish if it is possible to do so. But I will not support anyone trying to get rid of catch and release.:)

bigskinner
06-27-2017, 01:09 AM
You hunt right? That's just idiotic. Why would anyone spend money on fuel for scouting, fuel for hunting, cartridges, an arsenal of guns, wake up at ungodly hours, buy skinning knives, buy scopes, spend hours training dogs to point/flush/retrieve, purchase quads to help retrieve game, pay for licensing and tags, etc etc etc, when you can just buy a cow from a farmer or a pack of pork chops from the store to get your protein. Why waste hours and hours in the field each fall when you can be at home helping raise your family or making money to better support your family? I just don't get it.

OHHHHHHH ,but you forget one important thing , l don't release my game once l CATCHUM , l eatum