PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding on which scope to get

Ldsh_tanker
06-06-2017, 07:52 AM
its going on a 6.5 CM for hunting and playing around.
Swaro z3- 4-12x50 or vortex hd LH 3-15x42?

What and why

Ldsh_tanker
06-06-2017, 11:33 AM
further it will be 90% used for hunting and occasionally playing around at range.

Okotokian
06-06-2017, 11:51 AM
I'd take the Swaro. Brighter and lighter. 50mm objective lens and yet an ounce lighter.

RobTurbo
06-06-2017, 11:52 AM
I'd take the Swaro. Brighter and lighter. 50mm and an ounce lighter.

This!

Ldsh_tanker
06-06-2017, 11:57 AM
only trade off really is that swaro doesn't have the warranty that vortex has.

Okotokian
06-06-2017, 12:03 PM

Then might as well get a Bushnell. They'll apparently give you a new scope if your kid throws your scope in the fire. :) Warranty is a good thing for sure, but I wouldn't choose a product that, except for warranty, I thought to be otherwise inferior.

Does Vortex make a 50mm in that scope so you would at least be comparing apples to apples? I've always been fine with 40 or 42mm scopes as I wanted a lighter scope, but if you are looking at a 50 that is lighter than the 42 you are considering, it seems like a no brainer (assuming quality is otherwise equal).

Ldsh_tanker
06-06-2017, 12:07 PM
I can get a 42mm for the z3
Ya good point about the warranty part. It just gives me a better warm fuzzy feeling knowing my 1000+ dollar scope is covered for piece of mind. But your right the quality from swaro is second to none.

Beeman3
06-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Depending how far you plan to shoot I'd look at the Z5 5-25x52 as well.

Peebles
06-06-2017, 02:55 PM

But no matter how many times you return the Vortex it will never be as good as the Swarovski.

Ldsh_tanker
06-06-2017, 02:56 PM
cant afford the z5, or else id be all over her lol

Kurt505
06-06-2017, 03:42 PM
I would pick the Z3for the quality and weight. With the Swarovski you won't have to worry about the warranty. When I sent in my EL's to have the diopter fixed, not only was it free but they sent it back with a free set of lens caps.

Dick284
06-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 nikoplex reticle!

gitrdun
06-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Having used and owning a few Vortex optics, I simply cannot wrap my head around the negativity. I personally don't own a Swaro scope, but I've had experience with those of my clients. As far as I'm concerned, the reticle looks as though it was drawn in with a crayon. They also seem to lack sub-tension. Vortex optics as of yet have never failed me, they are clear enough for what I do. They have ample sub-tension. And most importantly, when I dial in a quarter MOA, they yield exactly as dialed in. True, they are not a Swaro, but they seem to work for me at least. I don't like busy reticles with all of the hash marks, dots and all that jazz. I prefer to hold over or dial in with a fine crosshair and a target dot.

nube
06-06-2017, 05:22 PM
I've never used a Vortex but I would pick Swaro for sure. I love every one I got

209x50
06-07-2017, 07:06 AM
But no matter how many times you return the Vortex it will never be as good as the Swarovski.

Exactly and I have never heard of anyone left hanging by Swaro on any problem.

Ldsh_tanker
06-13-2017, 02:07 PM
well tried out a mark v setup with the swaro and I cannot get enough eye relief. I'm really upset by this but what can you do. Looked at all the options for mounts and nothing will bring it closer for me.

So back at the drawing boards once again.
Zeiss conquest hd5 in 5x25x50 with r z 800 reticle.

Thoughts?

Maxwell78
06-13-2017, 02:13 PM
well tried out a mark v setup with the swaro and I cannot get enough eye relief. I'm really upset by this but what can you do. Looked at all the options for mounts and nothing will bring it closer for me.

Thoughts?

The 5-25's are heavy. the z800 reticle seems too busy

i have a couple of 3-15 with the r600 reticle and they are way lighter and less busy

Just my thoughts

gitrdun
06-13-2017, 05:20 PM
If a scope does not come with very fine crosshair reticle and a target dot, I don't want it, particularly when it comes to target shooting. :)

J0HN_R1
06-13-2017, 09:14 PM

And no matter how many times it malfunctions or you accidentally damage your Swaro, you'll never get a free replacement. Ever.

Kiss your $1200 goodbye... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

qwert
06-13-2017, 10:19 PM
And no matter how many times it malfunctions or you accidentally damage your Swaro, you'll never get a free replacement. Ever.

Kiss your $1200 goodbye... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I purchase Swarovski, Leica, S&B and other 'investment quality' Alpha glass
because of its superb optical performance and quality control, neither is inexpensive.

AFAIK, a major factor in the cost of Alpha glass is the high rejection rate in QC.
(This rejected glass is not destroyed, it is sold for use by less demanding brands and users.)

The cost of providing idiots with a free scope because they drove over it with a vehicle,
is also not an inexpensive cost that is paid by all Vortex purchasers, (as an alternative to QC).

Swarovski service is very good but not unlimited.
I have MANY reports of outstanding and VERY inexpensive service on old and damaged Swarovski products.
I have NEVER heard any reports of Swarovski repairs (or warranty replacements) failing soon after return (like Vortex)
or of multiple returns (like Vortex) that were not repaired or replaced properly.
Many Vortex users seem to spend a lot of energy bragging about their products that have failed,
few Alpha glass owners have any warranty experience.

Good Luck, YMMV.

gtr
06-14-2017, 08:16 AM

Thoughts?

I checked out the VX5HD Leupold scopes on the weekend. For my money, and eyes they are my pick. Might be something for you to check out for yourself.:)

209x50
06-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Thoughts?

I have several HD5 with the Rapid Z 800. For me it is the fastest slickest hunting reticle out there. 3 of the HD5 are the 5-25 but I prefer the 3-15 and have far more of that the higher magnification model.

209x50
06-14-2017, 08:45 AM
I purchase Swarovski, Leica, S&B and other 'investment quality' Alpha glass
because of its superb optical performance and quality control, neither is inexpensive.

AFAIK, a major factor in the cost of Alpha glass is the high rejection rate in QC.
(This rejected glass is not destroyed, it is sold for use by less demanding brands and users.)

The cost of providing idiots with a free scope because they drove over it with a vehicle,
is also not an inexpensive cost that is paid by all Vortex purchasers, (as an alternative to QC).

Swarovski service is very good but not unlimited.
I have MANY reports of outstanding and VERY inexpensive service on old and damaged Swarovski products.
I have NEVER heard any reports of Swarovski repairs (or warranty replacements) failing soon after return (like Vortex)
or of multiple returns (like Vortex) that were not repaired or replaced properly.
Many Vortex users seem to spend a lot of energy bragging about their products that have failed,
few Alpha glass owners have any warranty experience.

Good Luck, YMMV.

I know a gentleman from Swaro. He is way up the food chain. He has a great collection of pictures of scopes they have fixed for free that had nothing to do with warranty. pictures of bent tubes from quad roll overs, free fall down mountains even a cool horseshoe imprint. All the top Euro glass companies have pictures like that and they are pretty proud of where their optic go and what they endure. I would never be afraid of buying an optic made by Zeiss, Swaro or Leica.

rwalker
06-14-2017, 11:39 AM
I personally like 40 (ish) mm over a 50 (ish) mm just for how high the scope is mounted.

Diesel_wiesel
06-14-2017, 02:14 PM
high end burris or schmidt & bender with 50mm lense
is the only way I would go

stc77
06-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Check out the Leupold Vx6 or the new VX6HD. I love my VX6 and would recommend it to anybody.

morinj
06-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Check out the Leupold Vx6 or the new VX6HD. I love my VX6 and would recommend it to anybody.

X2, the vx3i is very nice aswell!

7 REM MAG
06-20-2017, 06:42 PM
I've never looked through a vortex scope that I've liked. They all seem to have a super busy, convuluted reticle that's not needed on a hunting gun.

As far as warranty goes why purchase something of that price level because it has lifetime warranty? Are you counting on it breaking down? And if so why not purchase something that can be repaired in Alberta like a leupold? I've got Zeiss, Leica, and swaro scopes on my hunting rifles and the Leica and swaro are by far the best scopes I've used. Definitely money well spent