PDA

View Full Version : Braided Line for Diefenbaker

Smiity
06-07-2017, 02:32 AM
Heading out to Diefenbaker next week and i will be switching from fluorocarbon to braided line for the first time. My question is what pound of braided should i go with, and what pound of fluorocarbon should i use for a leader? As well, what brand does everyone go with in regards to braided line? Thanks to all who respond. Tight lines all!!

Deep
06-07-2017, 02:57 AM
Power pro has been my choice of braided line...far superior to mono. I can fish with 10 lb and land any fish- tough stuff that line.

RavYak
06-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Power pro regular or power pro super slick if you want a bit more casting distance(both cast far, super slick nice for lighter lures).

I use either 15 or 20 lb braid and 8 lb fluoro line for a leader(assuming walleye and don't mind pike biting you off). I use 20 lb fluoro leader if don't want pike to bite me off.

bigfis
06-07-2017, 06:42 AM
I always run about 40lb . It is no thicker and when you snag something you can typically just yank it out.

burbotman
06-07-2017, 07:47 AM
I am huge fan of spider wire 15lb (4lb Dia ). Pike, Walleye, lake trout, catfish and bass

Once you make the switch to braid you will stay with it. The big brands for the most part are all excellent. Find one you like the feel of and have confidence

RavYak
06-07-2017, 08:00 AM
I am huge fan of spider wire 15lb (4lb Dia ). Pike, Walleye, lake trout, catfish and bass

Once you make the switch to braid you will stay with it. The big brands for the most part are all excellent. Find one you like the feel of and have confidence

OP go to the fishin' hole and just feel the different braided lines in the bulk section(power pro vs fireline vs spider wire).

The power pro is the most supple line and it is still durable. Fireline is wiry almost has memory and spider wire is in between. I haven't tried spider wire personally but I know enough guys that have been unhappy with wear and have been happy after switching from it to power pro.

I worked in the fishin hole for a few months and I bet you 90% of the braid they sell is power pro, it is by far the general favourite. Most people that prefer another brand haven't tried it.

If you have multiple reels try a different line on each and see what you like best. That is the easiest way to decide.

GoneFishingEDM
06-07-2017, 09:42 AM
I've been using Suffix 832 10Lb for 4 years now on my spinner, and I am using Suffix 832 30lb for the first year with a Baitcaster. The 10lb has never failed me, I have never lost a fish, and very seldom have I been snagged good enough to break it. So far the 30lb is working well. Both seem to cast a mile. just my 2 cents

cube
06-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Heading out to Diefenbaker next week and i will be switching from fluorocarbon to braided line for the first time. My question is what pound of braided should i go with, and what pound of fluorocarbon should i use for a leader? As well, what brand does everyone go with in regards to braided line? Thanks to all who respond. Tight lines all!!

Hi Smiity could you help us out and let us know what species and techniques you will be going after/ using?

I personally use 8, 15, 20, 40, 60 and 80 lb braids. I also use 8, 15, 20, 60, 80 an 100 lb flouro.

They all have there place depending on target and technique.

I like Power Pro super slick and Suffix 832 for the summer but they all work very well and personally have no problem using what ever they have in bulk if it's on sale. For winter I like a fused line like Fire Line asthey take on less water that freezes to your reel (Fire line starts out stiff but becomes more supple with use)

EZM
06-07-2017, 11:13 AM
I think Cube brings up a good point ..... depending on what you are targeting and what rod you are using ...... Here's what's on my rod/reel set ups.

Perch/Small Trout Rod - Light Action Rod - 8lb Braid with a 4lb Fluoro topshot

Walleye Rod Jigging - Med/Light Rod - 15 or 20lb braid - 10lb Fluoro Leader or Topshot

Pike Rod - Medium Rod and some Med Heavy - from 30-40 Braid and 40-80 Fluoro Leader

Lake Trout/Salmon Trolling - Various Med thru Heavy rods - 50 Braid - 30 Fluoro topshot

You also have to consider your fluoro leader depending on if there are pike in the neighborhood or not. If I'm fishing cranks (or other expensive lures) I'm putting on Fluorocarbon Leader Material. If I'm jigging walleye with a lead head, I use fluorocarbon line (not leader material specifically).

ALL Rods use PowerPro - That's the ticket

Walleyedude
06-07-2017, 11:31 AM
I'm using 10lb Power Pro Super Slick with an 8lb (6lb if super finesse bite) fluorocarbon leader for all my fishing unless specifically targeting big pike while casting larger lures, then I'll bump it up to 20 or even 30 lb Super Slick due to the shock loads of that kinda fishing and increased snags.

In my opinion, there's no need to go beyond 10lb braid for a jigging or casting light lures for typical AB walleye fishing with some pike mixed in. If you've ever tried to break off a snag with 10lb Super Slick, you'll know how crazy strong it is, breaking strength is closer to 20lbs than 10lbs. You should never break off off a fish using 10lb braid if your drag is set properly. Lighter line with smaller diameter gives you better casting distance and less drag both from the wind and water pressure, which is critical to sensitivity due to less of a bow in the line. In my opinion you also get better lure action, especially when fishing small jigs or light lures.

huntsfurfish
06-07-2017, 11:35 AM
If you have multiple reels try a different line on each and see what you like best. That is the easiest way to decide.

Bolded is a good suggestion.

Also what is right for me or Rav may not be right for you.

OP

Somethings worth mentioning about super lines:
Lines can cut you. Handle with care when trying to break free from a snag.
Do your homework on knots, palomar and uni are favs and back to back uni can be used to connect superline to fluoro leaders. There are other good knots as well. Bad knots do not equate to line breaks. Hear it all the time line was no good when in reality it was just bad knots.
Use a short mono backing or tape to keep line from slipping on the spool(very important).
You will probably want to back off your drag a bit.
Will have to change your hook setting(less now).
If you have to you might even want to go to a bit softer rod.
I might have missed something, but this is the main stuff.
You might be frustrated a bit with the change but hang in there.:)

I have tried many super lines since it first come out and like most of them. I still have reels spooled with the original spiderwire when it first came out.:) very faded but still strong.

Have found that spiderwire is very limp/soft(have not bought anymore recently and dont know if the characteristics have changed much). Love it for verticle jigging. Tough tying in the wind. Mostly in the 4-10 range with some larger.

Power Pro is also good jigging line but stiffer and not as limp as spiderwire. I have a tendency to use this on windier days as I find it easier to tie in those conditions. I do like the power pro Depth Hunter line(metered line) allows you to know how much line you have out without a line counter. Most in 6-10 range but Depth Hunter in 10, 20, 30, and 40.

Fireline is the stiffest of the 3 but softens a bit with use. Have used it for all aspects of fishing. Have and use from 3 pound to 30 lb. With 10/4 used most frequently to match up with my Precision Trolling books and App.

Also experimenting with some other metered super lines this year:

TufLine XP Indicator- color changes every 10' have 20 and 30lb.

Berkley Braid Tracer - 2 1/2' flame then 2 1/2' smoke count 5' for every flame color.

Looking for some Fireline Tracer in 10/4 to use with Precision Trolling App and books.

Have tried Gorilla braid and quite a few others as well, all work, some are a little better than others.

If you do lots of casting, there are braids that are better for that too, not necessarily in order of preference:
Suffix 832
Power Pro Super 8 Slick
Berkley Nanofil

I also still use mono quite a bit. Shallow pitching, shallow jigging for walleye. But also at times use super lines.

Trout fishing casting spinners spoons etc. Also trolling them too.

Slip bobbers still work best with a good mono, although the old stren fusion lines were best of the superlines at that. Managed to hoard a small supply.:)

Hope this helps and good luck with your super line and fishing at Dief.

EDIT: Took me way to long to type that. Man am I slowing down:)

SamSteele
06-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Most people that prefer another brand haven't tried it.

I've tried Fireline, Spiderwire, Power Pro, and Suffix 832. My order of worst to best is: Spiderwire, Fireline, Power Pro, Suffix 832. I've run them in different weights and different reel setups and Suffix just keeps coming out on top for me. I have not tried the Super Slick, so that may be one to try next.

huntsfurfish
06-07-2017, 11:52 AM
One other thing to mention, you can probably forgo the fluoro leader at Dief water is probably not very clear. I dont usually use one unless bite is slow, or soaking bait in very clear water.
And it will be 1 or 2 less knots that can fail.

Smiity
06-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Thanks for all the responses. As for the species i'll be targeting, it'll be for walleye with possible pike in the area.

dustinjoels
06-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Before I went to braided line, I used 10lb mono to cast and troll for pike and walleye. I figured I'd just go to 10lb braid. Bad mistake. The line was so thin I cut my hands all the time for the specific type of fishing I was doing.

Since then I've went through a few different setups and ultimately settled on 30lb power pro and use a fluorocarbon leader. Much easier on my hands.

EZM
06-07-2017, 01:20 PM
I tie up my own fluorocarbon leaders so I can customize length. Usually tie them 20"-30" when targeting pike (or in pikey waters when fishing for walleye) so that I can grab the leader to control the fish (I don't lift the fish out of the water usually) I just reach over the side with pliers to release him.

It also avoids the pike getting cut up if he does the death roll like the little ones tend to do.

Favorite set up for jigging walleye (when in pike infested waters) is 15-20lb power pro with a long 48" 10lb fluorocarbon leader. Usually jig a lead head or rattlin' flyer.

If I'm bouncing or trolling I use a heavier leader as I don't want joe pike to cut me off with a tooth and loose all that gear (spinner harness).

RavYak
06-07-2017, 10:10 PM
I'm using 10lb Power Pro Super Slick with an 8lb (6lb if super finesse bite) fluorocarbon leader for all my fishing unless specifically targeting big pike while casting larger lures, then I'll bump it up to 20 or even 30 lb Super Slick due to the shock loads of that kinda fishing and increased snags.

In my opinion, there's no need to go beyond 10lb braid for a jigging or casting light lures for typical AB walleye fishing with some pike mixed in. If you've ever tried to break off a snag with 10lb Super Slick, you'll know how crazy strong it is, breaking strength is closer to 20lbs than 10lbs. You should never break off off a fish using 10lb braid if your drag is set properly. Lighter line with smaller diameter gives you better casting distance and less drag both from the wind and water pressure, which is critical to sensitivity due to less of a bow in the line. In my opinion you also get better lure action, especially when fishing small jigs or light lures.

10 lb braid is very strong when it is in good shape with no abrasion etc. I do use 10 lb on my lighter duty rod/reels but for my average walleye/pike gear I go 15 or 20 lb because I like the extra abrasion resistance, I like the ability to straighten hooks etc if they get snagged and unless you are tossing lures that are lighter then 1/4 oz you can still cast a mile.

I almost always recommend people use 15 or 20 lb braid for another reason. Most people have reels that are too big for light braid because they bought them for use with mono. If you are only going to use 10 lb braid(or lighter in some peoples cases) then all you need is a 1000 series Shimano or equivalent. I find lots of guys use much larger capacity reels then this though and I always cringed when I was told to put 10 lb line on a 3-4000 size reel... You can put mono backing but it is a pain and just a knot to worry about.

I find most people think that they need to use light braids because they are used to needing to use lighter mono. Heavier braid has little downside until you start getting up into the 50+ lb tests, unlike mono the heavier line does not get significantly more wiry/more memory and also unlike mono it still casts very good. My heavy pike/sturgeon/salmon reel has 50 lb super slick on it and I can cast regular pike/walleye lures easily and plenty far enough to catch fish.

stubblejumper01
06-07-2017, 10:28 PM

A buddy of mine bought a new rod and reel combo and put spiderwire on it.
We went to the river and after awhile he got a snag. He yanked on it like he used to with mono. Before I could stop him he broke his new rod!
I usually try to wrap the line around my sleeve to control the pressure or wrap it around the butt of the rod and gently pull. You can control it well this way and often just end up straightening the hook . You can cut your hand pretty bad if you're not careful.

RavYak
06-07-2017, 10:34 PM
A buddy of mine bought a new rod and reel combo and put spiderwire on it.
We went to the river and after awhile he got a snag. He yanked on it like he used to with mono. Before I could stop him he broke his new rod!
I usually try to wrap the line around my sleeve to control the pressure or wrap it around the butt of the rod and gently pull. You can control it well this way and often just end up straightening the hook . You can cut your hand pretty bad if you're not careful.

Lol I cringe when I see people trying to break their line/free lures like that.

Point rod straight with line and pull back. Tighten drag and palm spool if necessary to create enough force. If using really heavy line I wrap it around base of reel a couple times first. I have broke up to 65 lb braid this way(out of a kayak in over 100 fow to boot, much easier on a boat or from shore).

dustinjoels
06-07-2017, 10:55 PM
I like to wrap braid on an oar to break it if available.

cube
06-07-2017, 11:17 PM
10 lb braid is very strong when it is in good shape with no abrasion etc. I do use 10 lb on my lighter duty rod/reels but for my average walleye/pike gear I go 15 or 20 lb because I like the extra abrasion resistance, I like the ability to straighten hooks etc if they get snagged and unless you are tossing lures that are lighter then 1/4 oz you can still cast a mile.

I almost always recommend people use 15 or 20 lb braid for another reason. Most people have reels that are too big for light braid because they bought them for use with mono. If you are only going to use 10 lb braid(or lighter in some peoples cases) then all you need is a 1000 series Shimano or equivalent. I find lots of guys use much larger capacity reels then this though and I always cringed when I was told to put 10 lb line on a 3-4000 size reel... You can put mono backing but it is a pain and just a knot to worry about.

I find most people think that they need to use light braids because they are used to needing to use lighter mono. Heavier braid has little downside until you start getting up into the 50+ lb tests, unlike mono the heavier line does not get significantly more wiry/more memory and also unlike mono it still casts very good. My heavy pike/sturgeon/salmon reel has 50 lb super slick on it and I can cast regular pike/walleye lures easily and plenty far enough to catch fish.

All good points but I use 8 lb braid on my walleye jigging rod solely to reduce blowback. This allows me to use lighter jigs or move faster while still being more than capable to land any walleye.

Talking moose
06-07-2017, 11:37 PM
10 lb power pro on my walleye jigging rod.
30 lb power pro on my big pike set up.
Have landed walleye up to 3lbs and pike up to 5lbs no problems.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Walleyedude
06-08-2017, 07:09 AM
All good points but I use 8 lb braid on my walleye jigging rod solely to reduce blowback. This allows me to use lighter jigs or move faster while still being more than capable to land any walleye.

Exactly.

You can maintain bottom feel and sensitivity much better with thinner diameter line. The difference between 10lb and 20 lb is significant, the difference between 10lb and 40lb or 50lb is night and day.

Abrasion is not a major concern for me either, especially on a jigging rod, with a fluorocarbon leader, where it never touches anything but the rod guides and line roller. Braid is tough stuff.

As for the rest, if you're going to use a reel that's much too large for the application (4000 size) then your best bet is mono backing. You're likely putting it on anyway to prevent the line from slipping, so just partially fill the spool and then add your braid. Simple and quick. You'll save a bunch of $$$ and still get more than enough braid on there that if you get to that backing knot, something has gone terribly wrong lol.

huntsfurfish
06-08-2017, 10:48 AM
Agree with Walleyedude above.

Almost all my reels with super lines have mono backing.
Way cheaper filling with mono.
Some of my panfish reels have 2-4 lb super lines and even they get mono backing.
Set up reels to get the proper fill is a little more difficult but saves you money too.
Some of my walleye reels have only 50 to 75 yds of super line on them which is more than enough for their purpose.
Only exception I have is for some spinning reels that I have spooled metered line on them. Had to put heavy line on cuz it was all that I could get and they dont hold much(no room for backing)(30 and 40 lb).
I use 4 to 10 super lines for walleye.
2-6 for perch
15-50 for pike and lakers
40 to 80 for sturgeon.
4-8 for trout, which I dont use often as I prefer mono (this for other than large bows, lakers, bulls)

Fishwhere
06-09-2017, 09:18 PM
When i fish at pelican narrows for pike in thick weeds.near the lake tour are talking about i have always used 10 pound smoke fireine. If i am usimg my heavier rod i will up it to 12 or 14 pound. I like fireline because the profile is flat and i find that it cuts through the weeds very well. Having said that, i really have not given the others a lot of my attention yet. Make sure you use a double palamer knot because the fishermens, or improved fishermens knot tends to slip i have found.

Good luck!

Sask Bearman
06-09-2017, 09:49 PM
6 lb fireline on my pickerel rod and 14 lb fireline on my jack trolling rods. No issues with picks over 10lbs and jacks over 20.

Tom Pullings
06-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Another power pro vote. I find any other braid I try starts to wear out and get all frayed looking after a season or two but the power pro just keeps on going. It might outlast me.

TylerThomson
06-10-2017, 12:15 AM
If you do more casting than trolling power pro super slick all the way.