PDA

View Full Version : Lakes South of Upper K (up the mountains)

iliketrout
04-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Has anyone fished any of the lakes "above" but to the south of Upper K i.e. Hidden, Rawson, or Elk Lakes (http://www.kananaskiscountrycampgrounds.com/govmaps/plppmap.pdf)?

I'm going camping over the May Long Weekend at Boulton Creek campground and I know the fishing can be very slow at Upper & Lower K. Just wondering which lake is the best tradeoff for hike & fishing quality in case I get too frustrated with slow action at the main lakes.

Thanks!

Albertadiver
04-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Rawson lake is closed to fishing I believe. Hidden lake won't have anything in it. Late summer, it's just a mud pit with the stream from fossill falls emptying underground in the centre.

Not sure about Elk Lakes though, other than that it is in BC.

Scott N
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I'd guess that those lakes will still be ice covered in May. Be careful and check the regs... a lot of those mountain lakes / streams are closed to angling until summer. Wedge Pond is usually fishing pretty good in May though.

jts1
04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
There wil be ice on them still for sure. I think it will take some time before they start to get open water on them. When they do I will be the first to hike into Chester Lake.

iliketrout
04-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys...I didn't even consider that there would still be ice on but this is a very good point! I guess I'll leave it up to the fish gods if I spend the weekend drinking or fishing...or some combination of both!

goldscud
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Rawson Lake (11-19-9-W5) & tributaries & outlet
July 16 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 0; Bait Ban
Nov. 1 to July 15 – CLOSED

McLeod
04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
There wil be ice on them still for sure. I think it will take some time before they start to get open water on them. When they do I will be the first to hike into Chester Lake.

Chester Lake (26-21-10-W5) & tributaries & outlet
July 1 to Oct. 31 – Northern Dolly Varden limit 2; Cutthroat limit 0; Bait Ban
Nov. 1 to June 30 – CLOSED

nicemustang
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Camping may long in the mountains.....BRAVE! Might as well go at Xmas....

iliketrout
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
We went last year to Tunnel Mountain in Banff on May long and yeah it did get pretty cold. Oh well it will be a short walk to the lake!

Nerdapres'
04-29-2009, 05:42 AM
Camping may long in the mountains.....BRAVE! Might as well go at Xmas....

Brave because of the crowds. I stay in the city during long weekends, there's less people.

Sundancefisher
04-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Brave because of the crowds. I stay in the city during long weekends, there's less people.

After Rawson opens...take a tube. Fishing is nicer and better when you get away from shore and the people.

Running Rain lake is a great alternative. Loads of cutties.

bigbadjoe108
04-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Nice little hike, tons of little cutties and just a great quick and fun fishing trip!!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
I fished both the upper and lower Kananaskis lakes. some great fishing just not allowed bait, also be BEAR AWARE Tons of Grizzly's and black bear around.