PDA

View Full Version : Shurburns Lake Boat Launch Closure

Dale S
06-07-2017, 10:07 AM
St.Mary River Irrigation District has announced they will be closing all uncontrolled boat launches. In the battle to control zebra mussels. Not sure what other ones are effected but Sideburns is one of them. There want user groups to figure out a way for inspections to happen at these boat launches. I can see $50 launch fees coming.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

norcodh
06-07-2017, 03:14 PM
SMRID?? thats basically every lake in southern alberta to the west

pikergolf
06-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Where is Sideburns lake?

norcodh
06-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Okay just called smrid, she said all existing public boat lanches are fine, its for launches unregulated or unapproved launches example she used was a land ower making his own launch.

norcodh
06-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Where is Sideburns lake?

Think he ment surburne

pikergolf
06-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Okay just called smrid, she said all existing public boat lanches are fine, its for launches unregulated or unapproved launches example she used was a land ower making his own launch.

So what difference does the launch make? They have people checking boats at the launch? Sounds like a money grab, again.

Dale S
06-07-2017, 05:29 PM

Shurburn is an unregulated launch.

Dale S
06-07-2017, 05:36 PM
SMRID?? thats basically every lake in southern alberta to the west

Pretty much ever thing south of the Oldman River. The Bow River Irrigation District B.R.I.D are not taking any action yet.

Dale S
06-07-2017, 05:44 PM
So what difference does the launch make? They have people checking boats at the launch? Sounds like a money grab, again.

This is going to cost somebody big money. You might be able to get financial help from the local government our the fish and game clubs. But the most will come from users.

pikergolf
06-07-2017, 06:02 PM
So I'm guessing nobody launches till the Provincial people get there in the AM.

pikergolf
06-12-2017, 11:06 AM
I phoned the SMRID and got the story from the horses mouth so to speak. Shereburn is effectively closed to boats for the moment. SMRID is hoping and waiting for a service club to take over the moderating of the boat launch. Till then no boats. Lakes that have a campground, "Rattlesnake" will be monitored through the campground launch all others will be closed. So one launch at each lake and you follow their hours. Sadly this will be the new reality facing Albertan's for Zebra Mussels. I can see other irrigation districts following.

Heard a story on my walk yesterday. Saskatchewan Landing PP on Lake Deifenbaker. A man from Ontario was trying to launch a boat that was covered in Zebra mussels. By standers blocked him from the lake after a heated exchange and F&W had to be called in. The stupidity of some is overwhelming at times.

mickeyjim
06-12-2017, 07:32 PM
That is ridiculous and sucks. Sherburne was one of the few lakes around that you could launch a boat at for free. Back to paying 15 bucks a launch at rattlesnake or forty mile now i guess.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

lolanr
06-12-2017, 08:51 PM
I launched my boat there this past Sunday. When did this take effect? I saw no signs???

Habfan
06-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Think he ment surburne

I looked up Surburne,Sideburns and Shurbuns ! No luck !

huntsfurfish
06-12-2017, 10:16 PM
I looked up Surburne,Sideburns and Shurbuns ! No luck !

Try Sherburne:)

pikergolf
06-13-2017, 08:49 AM
I launched my boat there this past Sunday. When did this take effect? I saw no signs???

The fellow I spoke with gave me the impression the launch was bocked off.

TROLLER
06-13-2017, 11:27 AM
So now the question is what about St. Mary Res While there is a campground most use the launch outside of that and it is not regulated as far as I know. That mean you have to go into the camp ground and start forking over some bucks?

dodger
06-13-2017, 02:02 PM
So once the Zebra Mussels get into a lake then we should be back to free launches anytime anywhere. I wonder what the odds are of Mussels showing up in a lake where the Gov is charging to launch?!

Dodger

Dale S
06-13-2017, 05:41 PM
The fellow I spoke with gave me the impression the launch was bocked off.

I was by there Monday June 12 and the launch is not blocked. But the people that camp there all year (for free) all had their boats out of the water. There was a S.M.R.I.D. sign up at the launch. Not sure what it said.

CNP
06-14-2017, 09:44 AM
So once the Zebra Mussels get into a lake then we should be back to free launches anytime anywhere. I wonder what the odds are of Mussels showing up in a lake where the Gov is charging to launch?!

Dodger

Lets talk positively about this. We never want mussels in our waterways. SMRID is taking action in addition to provincial efforts. The GoA is not charging any boat to launch in AB. Mussels in AB reservoirs would be disastrous for irrigation, power generation and recreation.

http://www.smrid.com/successful-water-startup/

Mark
06-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Lets talk positively about this. We never want mussels in our waterways. SMRID is taking action in addition to provincial efforts. The GoA is not charging any boat to launch in AB. Mussels in AB reservoirs would be disastrous for irrigation, power generation and recreation.

Agreed and I'm an avid boater. Short term pain for long term gain.

dodger
06-15-2017, 07:00 AM

I agree with you to an extent. Problem is if they start closing down all the little boat launches, and we can use only government made launches during there hours of operation, and then whatever "tax" they want to charge to use the launch. You will still see the spread of Mussels into these lakes. Between hip waders, canoes, water toys, etc. they will not be able to stop it.

All that said - I am just getting tired of user fee's/taxes being thrown around instead of education and enforcement.

Dodger.

Dale S
06-15-2017, 05:14 PM
The barricades went up today(Thursday) and a sign that says the lake is closed for use.

pikergolf
06-15-2017, 05:28 PM
The barricades went up today(Thursday) and a sign that says the lake is closed for use.

Sad day for all of us in the SE.

dodger
06-15-2017, 08:04 PM
Sad day for all of us in the SE.

Yes. There is no going back now.

Dodger.

huntsfurfish
06-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Wonder if they know something the rest of us dont?:thinking-006:

calgarygringo
06-15-2017, 09:22 PM
I dont want to see these either but can we reallt stop them? Boats, birds, natural water flow I doubt it. Do what we can but outside of education and clean the boats it dont matter nature will do what it wants.

panko
06-15-2017, 11:20 PM
If sherburne has them the hole system has them right from Waterton threw the south Saskatchewan

darrell f
06-19-2017, 08:46 PM
There is a sign st the gate that suggests an idea for some organization to take over the launch an that only members of said origanization have access to the launch. WHAT? The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Turning the whole lake into a privately owned fishery? How much is this going to cost in the end?

There must be a better solution to this. Boats are not the only issue. What about migrating ducks and geese. Why single out the lake almost dead centre of the SMRID system. Saint Mary's gets a lot of traffic from the U S and B C, who's inspecting their boats. There is nobody at the launch there.

I don't pretend that I have an answer but this has not been thought through. Knee jerk reaction at best. Sad day here in the south!!

panko
06-20-2017, 05:39 AM
U bet there something going on down here. The sad part is nobody has any answers There's nobody inspecting at any docking locations, 40 mile has none chin has none st.marys has none the oldman river has none.

The Spank
06-20-2017, 06:17 AM
I don't know anything about southern AB waters but having grown up and lived in Ontario most of my life I know some about Zebra Mussels. They definitely took in Lakes Erie and to some extent Lake Ontario but Huron and Superior seemed to not suffer their fate due to the cold temperatures of those water bodies. A few inland warm water lakes were affected in the southern part of province but the more northerly inland lakes were not. Again temperature seemed to be the reason. Short growing seasons and longer colder temperatures are not conducive to their spreading easily. When they first appeared in the lower great lakes they spread fast but as they multiplied and did what they do best, filtering water by consuming phytoplankton they brought lakes Erie and Ontario back to the water clarity they once were before man's overwhelming disturbance and pollution caused a major change in those lakes. That change brought on by them has changed the entire eco-system back to its former self and though it was a tough adjustment for many sportsman at first it has brought back a return of a once great fishery and traditional migration areas for countless waterfowl that had all but abandoned centuries old migration staging areas. Also another invasive known as the Round Goby, a small fish was introduced through ballst water and its main food source is the Zebra Mussel. Between the Zebra Mussels own habits of filtering water increasing clarity through eating the phytoplankton and the Goby they have become much more "managed" so to speak and not nearly the huge problem they first were or so I have read on some Canada/US great lakes commission reports? Hopefully southern Albertas waters are more along the lines of northern Ontarios inland waters in terms of being unfriendly to the mussels.

CNP
06-20-2017, 08:38 AM
I don't know anything about southern AB waters but having grown up and lived in Ontario most of my life I know some about Zebra Mussels. They definitely took in Lakes Erie and to some extent Lake Ontario but Huron and Superior seemed to not suffer their fate due to the cold temperatures of those water bodies. A few inland warm water lakes were affected in the southern part of province but the more northerly inland lakes were not. Again temperature seemed to be the reason. Short growing seasons and longer colder temperatures are not conducive to their spreading easily. When they first appeared in the lower great lakes they spread fast but as they multiplied and did what they do best, filtering water by consuming phytoplankton they brought lakes Erie and Ontario back to the water clarity they once were before man's overwhelming disturbance and pollution caused a major change in those lakes. That change brought on by them has changed the entire eco-system back to its former self and though it was a tough adjustment for many sportsman at first it has brought back a return of a once great fishery and traditional migration areas for countless waterfowl that had all but abandoned centuries old migration staging areas. Also another invasive known as the Round Goby, a small fish was introduced through ballst water and its main food source is the Zebra Mussel. Between the Zebra Mussels own habits of filtering water increasing clarity through eating the phytoplankton and the Goby they have become much more "managed" so to speak and not nearly the huge problem they first were or so I have read on some Canada/US great lakes commission reports? Hopefully southern Albertas waters are more along the lines of northern Ontarios inland waters in terms of being unfriendly to the mussels.

There is a lot of misinformation here. First of all, the introduction of a single invasive species is not welcome; the introduction of another native species that feeds on the aforementioned species is double jeopardy........and so on.

It is true that invasive mussels such as zebra and quagga mussels filter water, but they won't filter out blue/green algae. Red goby feed on mussels yes but it has also been found that they would rather feed on other stuff in the food chain, when introduced to our eco system. Our eco system is a matched set for what is native, introducing anything invasive will not have the same result as from where the invasive species first came. The walleye fishery in the Bay of Quinte has declined in S On as a result of zebra mussels. Walleye prefer murky water, not clear water. Bass have overtaken much of the water that walleye used to inhabit. Walleye is a highly valued fishery in AB. AB waters are too cold for bass. Zebra mussels are a lose situation in AB. There is no win. Above speaks to our fishery, not the impact to irrigation and power generation. It would cost millions of $ and shut downs to irrigation and water cooled power generation if mussels invaded those waters. Mussels can reproduce in water temps as low as 9 degrees.

Clean, drain and dry your boats!

CNP
06-20-2017, 11:34 AM
If sherburne has them the hole system has them right from Waterton threw the south Saskatchewan

Sherburne does not have them. No waterbody in AB has them.

panko
06-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Do tell CNP seeing as u are in the know? Then what's going on at sherburne?

CNP
06-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Call SMRID and ask your questions

norcodh
06-20-2017, 07:26 PM

It's an unregulated boat launch, so they closed it.

darrell f
06-20-2017, 08:09 PM
That's the whole problem. None of them are really regulated. At some there are campground hosts but what qualifications do they have. I spoke with one of them and he advised that he wasn't worried if you had Alberta plates.

panko
06-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Oh don't worry I have there like u tight lipped no one will return my calls

Dale S
06-20-2017, 09:36 PM
We were at Chin Sunday. There are no inspectors. All the S.M.R.I.D have in place is a sign (amongst 4 other signs) that says if your from out of province report to the launch manager. I'm pretty sure the campground caretaker hasn't been trained to do inspections.
Might be a good summer job for students. Get them trained up to do inspection. Set up a camp at the lake and charge $20 a launch. What ever money they take in they keep all of it. Win, win for everyone.