PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is going on with my line

millsboy79
06-08-2017, 09:58 AM
This fraying happened aftee one day fishing

Line was 50lb sufix 832

This was the first outing for both the rod and line.

Brand new line on the right for comparison.

This is a good 10 feet of line that looks like this.

Makes me very nervous, am planning on using this set up for sturgeon.

Any ideas? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/cbe8d743bab1a5753efb20399ec44594.jpg

Tfng
06-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Have you got a cracked guide on the rod maybe? A gap in the roller on the reel bail could be the culprit. It could be as simple as you dragged that chunk of line across something sharp in the water.

I've never used Sufix but Fireline gets a little fuzzy with use.

cube
06-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Have you got a cracked guide on the rod maybe? A gap in the roller on the reel bail could be the culprit. It could be as simple as you dragged that chunk of line across something sharp in the water.

X2

huntsfurfish
06-08-2017, 10:15 AM
X2

x3

Bushleague
06-08-2017, 11:42 AM

Not that fuzzy, and not that quick. Besides what has been mentioned, if the line is not wrapped tight enough on the reel and you burry a few wraps I've had some types of braid chew themselves up pretty bad on the next cast. No experience with the braid type you are using, but I've had Spiderwire actually cut itself off in the described situation. Never had Fireline tear itself up.

Tfng
06-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Not that fuzzy, and not that quick.

Agreed.

tirebob
06-08-2017, 12:35 PM
I use Suffix 832 for years and it is tough as heck. I would look at the other aspects of your gear and see if it is chaffing on something.

SamSteele
06-08-2017, 02:56 PM
I had a spool of Power Pro do that to me. I replaced it with Suffix and it was fine, so maybe it was a bad batch? Or possibly loosely spooled like Bushleague said?

SS

waterninja
06-08-2017, 03:04 PM
Thats a lot of fraying in a short time no matter what you dragged it over or if your eye's are damaged. My first thought was bad batch, or perhaps something occured in transit. Could your reel have been exposed to extreme heat (muffler) or something? Did your dog chew on it? Just spitballing. lol

millsboy79
06-08-2017, 09:19 PM
If it is a rod guide insert ... are you able to replace that... Not even sure how that would be possible, without replacing the entire guide that is ... which I would rather not do.

millsboy79
06-14-2017, 08:12 AM
From what I have read replacing an insert is a "no go". So I guess my next question is where would I get a high quality replacement for the tip of my rod.

Seems like the ones at bass pro are larger and I would like to replace it with something of quality and matching would be great.

Any ideas?

EDIT ... Guess I should have shopped online before I wrote. They have the Fuji guide kits at Bass Pro so I will check them out there soon as I can.

cube
06-14-2017, 08:23 AM
From what I have read replacing an insert is a "no go". So I guess my next question is where would I get a high quality replacement for the tip of my rod.

Seems like the ones at bass pro are larger and I would like to replace it with something of quality and matching would be great.

Any ideas?

Not sure if the Reel Dr in Edmonton (http://www.reeldr.com/home/) has any but the Mud hole probably does, though not in Edmonton.

http://www.mudhole.com/?gclid=CLbsvqfEvdQCFQOewAodbbQIVA