PDA

View Full Version : Bullets

Mike W
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I was just curious to what bullets you like the most for accuracy, weight retention and what has the best "mushroom" I am asking this in regard to a .270 win and a 300 win mag but lets keep it broad maybe best for magnum and best for non mags.

I was looking a Barnes bullets because of there expansion but don’t know how the flat hollow tip will perform for accuracy, then I was contemplating the accubond which I am quite fond of due to the expansion and weight retention in combination with the ballistic tip...these bullets are quite a bit less expensive than Barnes too.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks
Mike

HUNTNUT
02-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I think that you can't really go wrong with any of todays top bullets. I personally use the accubond in everything I shoot-(7&300 ultra, 338 mag and 300wsm). They are easy to tune, are very accurate, priced right, have a higher bc than partitions and so far have killed everything that I have shot with them. :D

Scott N
02-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I've had really good results using the Barnes TSX line in a few different rifles, including 270. The TSX design seems to have solved some of the erratic behaviour from the original Barnes Bullets, and they do seem to be quite accurate in most rifles.

I also like Ballistic Tips, and more so the AccuBond / InterBond type of bullets. The Ballistic Tips open up quite rapidly and are probably not the best choice for your 300, at least in my opinion. I'm sold on the TSXs now though. You can order a free DVD from the Barnes web site on the TSX bullets. It's more of an info-mercial for their own product, but it's kind of cool to watch, plus it's free.

www.barnesbullets.com/ (http://www.barnesbullets.com/)

prairieboy
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I have found the tsx to be very accurate in the rifles that I have tested it in.On game performance was extremely good,with reliable expansion and great penetration.

Andrzej77
02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Barnes TSX is a very tough bullet.
There was some testing done and at 3000 ft/sec they did penetrate deepest in gel...as compared with other premiums bullets 29 inches and next one was 18 inches....If you shot it at very close target from powerfull magnums than the petals will brake off and bullet acts as flat tip solid. This type of tip is most devastating as the flat front causes biggest wound channel. On long range they penetrate as good as any other premium bullet and open to double diameter with 100% weight retention...If you hit big bone at 2000 ft/sec better be premium bullet...

Barnes new MRX has delron Blue tip that should help in expansion at all velocities and different structure should prevent petals braking at close ranges and as haevy bullets in smaller calibers were getting to long to make them in Boat Tail design insert of Silvex shortened theirs lengt.

Ballistic Tip bullets are not good for Magnum due to weak construction. I shot WT buck broadside at 80 yards behind shoulder ENTRY wound was 2 inches and bullet powderized with no exit, no fragments,lots of damage.

Hornady SST is very similar to Ballistic Tip. I use this for long range due to accuracy but deer that I shot at 250 yards lost his ham due to excesive explosion...and poor placement...

At velocities of 270, 30-06 old Coreloct Remingtons work just fine as are Hornadys,Sierras,Speers...

I think that the only connection between me and game is my bullet, so should be good one.....