PDA

View Full Version : Minnkota endura c2 opinions please

Sitting Bull
06-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Hey guys, I have a 14' sportspal aluminum canoe and am looking to put the minkota Endura C2 30lb thrust on it. I know absolutely nothing about these motors. It will be used to do a little fishing, photography and romancing my queen every now and then. They sell for $160 at Cabela's
What are your thoughts on this unit.
Thanks.

burbotman
06-08-2017, 09:25 PM
I have that motor on my 10 foot Jon boat. With one person it pushes it pretty good but you can really feel the difference when a second person gets in. I think a 14 foot with two people in it would def be at its upper limit

EZM
06-08-2017, 10:39 PM
I have that motor on my 10 foot Jon boat. With one person it pushes it pretty good but you can really feel the difference when a second person gets in. I think a 14 foot with two people in it would def be at its upper limit

I'd agree - if your budget allows get the C2 40 or 45 thrust and you will be happier with it. 2 people and a little wind and that 30 is going to be frustrating for you and maybe leave you paddling.

cube
06-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Hey guys, I have a 14' sportspal aluminum canoe and am looking to put the minkota Endura C2 30lb thrust on it. I know absolutely nothing about these motors. It will be used to do a little fishing, photography and romancing my queen every now and then. They sell for $160 at Cabela's
Thanks.

Minnkota suggests {https://www.minnkotamotors.com/productType.aspx?id=1294&wizard=1) "We suggest selecting a trolling motor with at least 2 lbs. of thrust for every 100 lbs. of boat weight when the boat is fully loaded with fuel, people, equipment, etc." ] This does not include fighting current in a river.

So you are probably going to be just fine here.

My main concern with that motor is that it does not have Pulse Width Modulation or in Minnkota's terms a Maximizer. That means it wastes as much as 80 % of your battery capacity by heating the water instead of propelling you. It does not waste anything on full power so if you plan on always having it on 5 then by all means go ahead as it would be a be a very good value.
If however you place it on 1 the motor will still draw 100% full power but will only use 20% for thrust and use the remaining 80% to heat the water.

Hence if you plan on doing any trolling with it or going slow make sure you get the one with the Maximize as then your battery will last all day and possibly even a couple of days. (https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Freshwater-Transom-Mount/Endura-Max/)

Good luck

Stinky Buffalo
06-09-2017, 10:43 AM
What cube says. :wave:

I have the 55lb with the maximizer for my inflatable - although it's overkill for my rig, I can pop it on a bigger boat and still know it'll carry my lard butt home at the end of the day.

Regardless of what trolling motor you get, make sure you have a breaker between it and the battery! This will protect your motor from overcurrent should your prop get stuck. Some manufacturers include breakers in their battery boxes (I have the Minn Kota one; it also has extra cigarette lighter ports and a battery tester built into the lid.)

TROLLER
06-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I see Cabella has the 40 on sale for $269 a lot more motor and should work good on your 14 ft. 30 is for sure not enough.

cube
06-09-2017, 12:34 PM
I see Cabella has the 40 on sale for $269 a lot more motor and should work good on your 14 ft. 30 is for sure not enough.

Not sure my self as I have never put a small electric on a canoe but the 30 does not look out of place in a canoe with 2 people and a dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvWAv6wyY70

As for wind you could turn the motor around and have it pull which would negate a fair bit of the wind effect if the canoe is pointed at both ends. No?

Delavan
06-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Just curious here,

$269 for a motor ok, but how much for the battery to go with it? Any other wiring harness needed or it come with the motor?
I'm thinking about getting a piece of angle iron for a mounting bracket.

Stinky Buffalo
06-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Just curious here,

$269 for a motor ok, but how much for the battery to go with it? Any other wiring harness needed or it come with the motor?
I'm thinking about getting a piece of angle iron for a mounting bracket.

I got a Group 7 battery at Costco for around $100. Works great. The Minn Kota battery box is under $100. If you decide to wire up your own breaker ($50-ish) you will need to get the appropriate gauge wire (see the Minn Kota manual for recommended gauge). Otherwise, you don't need any extra cables (unless you want to put the battery further fore than the motor's built-in cables allow you to).

Sitting Bull
06-09-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys great info. I have 2 extra deep cycle batteries already so I'm good on that front. I contacted a guy on Kijiji who sells refurbished outboard motors, he has a 2hp envenrude if memory serves me well and he is asking $575.00.
Im sure I could go further and faster with the gas unit, but I am more interested in a slow and quiet ride. Tell me are electric motors allowed in the park lakes?

Stinky Buffalo
06-09-2017, 03:35 PM
If you're open to gas units, check out some of the new small four-stroke motors out there. Nice and quiet, not so stinky... :)

Motors are allowed on some park lakes - special restrictions apply. In Jasper, for instance, motorized boats are only allowed in Lake Minniwanka (see here (https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/activ-experience/ete-summer/peche-fishing) for details).

Sitting Bull
06-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Thank for the link, I should also mention that I have only fished a handful of times in 40+ years. This will be the first year that I actually set myself up and I am pretty excited. Never been on a lake in the parks either.
The new outboards are pretty pricey for a canoe unless it is a killer steal of a price.

cube
06-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Thanks guys great info. I have 2 extra deep cycle batteries already so I'm good on that front. I contacted a guy on Kijiji who sells refurbished outboard motors, he has a 2hp envenrude if memory serves me well and he is asking $575.00.
Im sure I could go further and faster with the gas unit, but I am more interested in a slow and quiet ride. Tell me are electric motors allowed in the park lakes?

Stinky Buffalo
06-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Thank for the link, I should also mention that I have only fished a handful of times in 40+ years. This will be the first year that I actually set myself up and I am pretty excited.

I can relate! I used to fish all the time as a youngster, and had two periods of my life where I couldn't go as much. Now that I have a setup that works for me, I go a lot more often. Plus my family loves to fish, so... :sHa_shakeshout:

Have fun!

Mr Flyguy
06-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Thanks.

I've got exactly the same canoe. Used to use a 2 hp Evinrude with it after getting blown away at Carson Lake but then switched over to the Minnkota Maxxum 33lb (a present from my lady friend) and it was ideal with two people. Last year upgraded to the Endura Max 40 lb ($260 on sale at Cabela's) and really happy with the extra oomph. If your budget is limited the 30 lb will be fine! I wouldn't go with a gas motor.

Some advisory comments:

Get an extension handle, really useful when you're by yourself and sitting in the middle of the canoe.

Don't skimp on the battery. I bought a Nautilus AGM deep cycle (size 24) on sale at Canadian Tire three years ago and really happy with it.

Fishwhere
06-09-2017, 09:22 PM
I would go past the 30 pound, it will work but like the others said i think it will be a bit underpowered. Ive been told by lots of people that you can never really overdue your electric motor power thrust poundage. I have a 55 on my 16ft crestliner and would upgrade to an 80 in a second if the oppourtunity came up.

New tous! Too much fun!

Mr Flyguy
06-10-2017, 07:29 AM
There's a huge difference between a 14 ft Sportspal and a 16 ft Crestliner. Go with the 30lb.

Penner
06-10-2017, 08:36 AM
I would go past the 30 pound, it will work but like the others said i think it will be a bit underpowered. Ive been told by lots of people that you can never really overdue your electric motor power thrust poundage. I have a 55 on my 16ft crestliner and would upgrade to an 80 in a second if the oppourtunity came up.

New tous! Too much fun!

x2. I run a 45lb Traxxis on my 14ft aluminium boat as my Jasper rig. Goes fairly well but as always it's human nature to want more. The 55lb would be just a bit nicer. Then there is the 24v options.

So for your situation I'd go larger than what you think you will need. If you thinking 30lb go for 40lb and so forth.

FYI, I'd also agree that Costco deep cycles batteries are tough to beat. 7 years and counting still going strong. The Minkota has been bullet proof thus far.

Sitting Bull
06-10-2017, 09:40 AM
I hope to get out and look at a few today. They have so many models to choose from it can be a bit confusing. I definitely will be looking at one with the Max option and 40-45lbs thrust.
Thanks again for the info and opinions,
SB

fish99
06-10-2017, 02:38 PM
which electric trolling motors have anchor lock without using the fish finders gps?

dodger
06-10-2017, 03:17 PM
which electric trolling motors have anchor lock without using the fish finders gps?

Bow mount.
Dodger.

Sitting Bull
06-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Went to cabala's today they have the Minn Kota Endura max 40lb on sale for $249.99. Neither store has stock, and don't know when they will be re stocked.

cube
06-13-2017, 07:49 AM
Went to cabala's today they have the Minn Kota Endura max 40lb on sale for $249.99. Neither store has stock, and don't know when they will be re stocked.

I believe you can order it from the central Canadian depot and have it shipped to your local store for no charge (on the shipping that is)

cube
06-13-2017, 07:55 AM

I believe you can order it from the central Canadian depot (They say they hav stock) and have it shipped to your local store for no charge (on the shipping that is).

Stinky Buffalo
06-13-2017, 09:33 AM
I believe you can order it from the central Canadian depot (They say they hav stock) and have it shipped to your local store for no charge (on the shipping that is).

That's what I did when I bought my 55lb. Didn't take long for it to come in. :sHa_shakeshout:

Another option is the one from Costco; comes with a charger, too. (Link here (https://www.costco.ca/Endura-MAX-44-36-in.-Trolling-Motor-with-MK105-Charger-Included.product.100114970.html))