PDA

View Full Version : Teaching angling

bowness
04-27-2009, 09:17 PM
I have an option class in our school that is learning the angling component of Alberta Conservation Education and this term my class is only 12 students. This is my first year and we have gone ice fishing to Arbour lake last term because a parent lived there. I wanted to go to k-country this term and fish Mt. Lorrette ponds at the end of May (usually easy fishing). Problem is bussing would cost $600.00 (only $150.00 if we stay in the city limits)and due to liability I cant get parents to drive. I was hoping someone who lived in a community with a lake in Calgary might be able to have us come as visitors...We were thinking about the end of May but are open to ideas..

WayneChristie
04-27-2009, 09:34 PM
if you are in Bowness, I fished there for a lot of years, take them down to the train bridge during the week when its quiet, there are lots of whitefish and they are usually pretty easy to catch. some big trout too.

bowness
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
That section of the Bow is closed until June 1 and by then it will probably be a mess. These kids are also first timers and dealing with rocks, moving water and bottom bouncing might be hard for them (and me!). But your right, fishing at the train bridge can be great for whites. I once had a bull (or maybe a lake trout from Bearspaw) chase every whitefish I brought in. I also caught a lake trout (not a bull) a little farther up stream that was about 5-6 pounds.

WayneChristie
04-27-2009, 09:51 PM
A few pike along there too. and Ive seen some huge trout under the Bowness Park pedestrian bridge too. too bad about the volunteers, they do like to take the fun out of everything. I fished Mt Lorette many times, sometimes it was great, sometimes there were only tiny native brookies in there, and the odd giant that managed to stay uncaught. Saw hundreds of dead recently stocked rainbows too a few years ago, was told that the water in the truck got too warm, so they all died. should have fed them to the bears instead of polluting the ponds with them I think. But when the conditions are right, just seeing the schools of them in the crystal clear waters is fun in itself, catching them is just a bonus.

WayneChristie
04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
how about Carburn Park Pond? talk to JTS1 about it, they have a thread discussing it going on now. never fished it myself, but its in the city.

jts1
04-27-2009, 10:06 PM
What about a place like Carburn Park.. It is in the city has great access. Great spot to teach basic knots with indicator for perch. And basic casting skills for hammer handles.

WayneChristie
04-27-2009, 10:10 PM
What about a place like Carburn Park.. It is in the city has great access. Great spot to teach basic knots with indicator for perch. And basic casting skills for hammer handles.

great minds think alike!!! sorry for taking your name in vain :lol:

jts1
04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
LOL Yes they do....

jeprli
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
SW corner of Glenmore Res. is fairly shallow, lots of big trees in the background, couple of beaver ponds and an abundance of perch. Open all year and soon it will be free of ice, with water level about 6 feet below normal it should have fish biting.

bowness
04-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I just read that thread. I have never fished it but some small pike would be great fun. Sounds like the perch might be harder. I will look into it. Thanks. Anyone else with ideas on Carburn?

bowness
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
That is a great idea...

bowness
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
What do you normally use? The best access?