PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes Info

EZM
06-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Thinking of heading down to Spray Lakes next weekend ( June 16-18 ). Going to be in Calgary and might as well haul my boat down.

Have not fished Spray Lakes since I was a kid (like 25 years ago).

I guess I'm looking to see where the best place is to launch my boat, park the truck and maybe any input on what's working out there and general areas to try.

Thanks in advance.

TROLLER
06-11-2017, 05:57 PM
you have to go up from the town it is the road from hell.. if you do not have a good rock guard don't bother, the road to Spray will have a good time with the rocks taking your paint off. The launch is marked so you won't miss it, and there is parking there.

My best luck was with a jig and smelt on the very far end of the lake, there are a few bays you can go into. Other than that you should mark the lakers in the 30 40 FOW so a grey apex has worked for me as well as the large dick nite. Off the boat launch on the opposite side of the lake you will see the camp ground. Trolling with a down rigger on that side can be good but keep in mind most the lakers are in the 2-4 lb range.

Don't forget you need a rock guard and good luck, great lake and the views are 2nd to none.

Kingfisher
06-11-2017, 06:07 PM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=134892&stc=1&d=1497226092

The lake is extremely shallow. Be careful out there. A freind of mine took out the leg on his motor. So go slow, even in the middle. There are sunken islands that were 30 feet below the water at normal levels that are now just below the surface.

You can launch your boat at Driftwood parking area and boat launch. The bad thing is that they have the water down extremely low. So low that it's not impossible to launch. But it makes it really difficult. You'll have to back your truck half way in just to get the boat off the trailer. So make sure you have a 4X4 or you may get yourself stuck. The launch is about 1/3 of the way down the lake on the east side of the lake.

For fishing use white tube jigs or a buzz bombs. Tip them with a bit of SMELT. DO NOT USE MINNOWS THERE!!!! The fish cops are there all the time and are very strict on this. Smelts work fine though. I have also used sculpin flies or bucktails with Fish Skull heads on them on a full sink fly line and done well.