PDA

View Full Version : Cow Lake pike disease?

JonnyBoy0919
06-11-2017, 09:39 PM
I've been looking at hitting up Cow Lake in the near future, but I heard that Lymphosarcoma was affecting a lot of the pike in there. Not looking to keep any, strictly C&R, so it shouldn't affect me too much. Regardless, would be nice to know before heading out.
Anyone know the status of this lake as far as disease goes?

Bonus: Anyone catching anything decent for pike out of here? I've heard mixed reviews. Any tips for this lake would be awesome.

Thanks folks!

Don K
06-12-2017, 01:20 PM
The pike in that lake are disgusting... I'd rather cut my line than touch one of those fish. Won't fish there...

Think Chernobyl.

MLayden
06-12-2017, 02:03 PM
Was there 2 weekends ago. Out of the ~20 fish the kids and I caught only one had the disease. Fun lake to fish. Nothing of any real size, but they were pulling pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cube
06-12-2017, 02:20 PM
I've been looking at hitting up Cow Lake in the near future, but I heard that Lymphosarcoma was affecting a lot of the pike in there. Not looking to keep any, strictly C&R, so it shouldn't affect me too much. Regardless, would be nice to know before heading out.

Bonus: Anyone catching anything decent for pike out of here? I've heard mixed reviews. Any tips for this lake would be awesome.

Thanks folks!

It will not affect you at all as the virus does not affect humans.
That being said it would be prudent to clean and possibly disinfect your net and fishing equipment to limit the spread to other lakes.

last minute
06-12-2017, 07:36 PM
The pike in that lake are disgusting... I'd rather cut my line than touch one of those fish. Won't fish there...
:thinking-006: ok Thanks i guess:thinking-006:

JonnyBoy0919
06-13-2017, 11:20 PM
Went there with a buddy yesterday and slammed a few decent pike, couple topping out at just over 5 pounds. Didn't see any that looked diseased, but had a blast.
Used a white tube with a bait hook and bullet sinker slid over the line; worked like a charm back home in NB for bass and apparently pike like it too.

scel
06-14-2017, 12:51 AM

Thanks folks!

I fish it a couple of days every spring for the last couple years. Out of the 60 or so pike I have caught, I have only seen 3 with the disease, and nothing that I would call too serious.

It is a fun lake. Just be extra careful handling the fish---for the sake of the fish. Abrasions and cuts make the fish more susceptible to infection.