PDA

View Full Version : Work Channel Advise Please?

Dark
04-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Heading for the work channel in june anyone fish it? how about the boat launch, can you launch a 22 fter?

Crabman
04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
I have fished the work channel and it should be no problem to launch your boat but it would be the ugly 14 km in that might take a toll on your boat and trailer. It takes about an hour to just travel that 14 km in. If it takes more than 2 feet to launch your boat you might want to go in and take a look before you pull that size of boat in on that road, but I think if you pick your spots [depending on the tide] the boat launch area should work fine. Good luck I am going in June also you should do great.

Crabman

Dark
04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks crabman, I have pulled it to Bamfield(bad road) and Rennel Sound QCI another bad road, So I kinda of no what to expect, slow and steady thats my motto.
Do you think I might be better off running from Rupert or maybe Port Eddy. We fished Eddy last year and really liked the launch and parking seemed to be fairly secure.
I really want to spend 3 or 4 days camped out at Dundas

Crabman
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
I haven't had much to do around Port Eddy but I have left my truck at parking lot by Bob on the Rocks, it's a ice shop by the public boat launch. We have never had any ploblems there but I have heard of some people who have.That might be your best bet to launch from there and either park at Bob's or back at another public parking lot accross from Smile's resturant.If you go from Rupert at least you can get that shaved sea ice from Bob's which in a good cooler will last 4-5 days and keeps your fish realy nice without freezing it.

Crabman

Dark
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info, When will you be there? we will be there the last week of june
Never fished there before, Planning on trying off the west coast of dundas for some larger halibut, weather depenent of course.

Crabman
04-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm heading out for the second week of June for a week and probably another week or so in July. This year we are going to spend time up at Kincolith, it's at the mouth of the Nass river. Realy good Crabbing and fair Halibut/Samon. We haven't caught anything more than just chickens there but the water is always fishable not rough and you don't have to burn much fuel to go out and fish, everything is right in front of you within sight and the locals there will help you if you ask.

Crabman

burbotman14
04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Nice. I'm heding up there the second week of july hoping for some salmon and halibut. Hoping to get up to Dundas one day very good fishing up there. Crabman, how is the weather up there in July? I'm mostly worried about the wind.

Crabman
04-29-2009, 03:52 PM
The wind is not usually a issue there, you are pretty sheltured there.That is one of the reasons we like it there you can always get out and fish and it's good if you have kids.We haven't caught any big Halibut there yet but we have lost a few. The other areas we have fished in and around the Work and Dundas we have caught over 100 pound Halibut and big Salmon.Keep me posted if you are at Kincolith in July we can get together for some Crab.

Thanks Crabman

savagencounter
04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
The wind is not usually a issue there, you are pretty sheltured there.That is one of the reasons we like it there you can always get out and fish and it's good if you have kids.We haven't caught any big Halibut there yet but we have lost a few. The other areas we have fished in and around the Work and Dundas we have caught over 100 pound Halibut and big Salmon.Keep me posted if you are at Kincolith in July we can get together for some Crab.

Thanks Crabman

one of the best places ivefished my dad used to take us kids out there in the summer not great fishing in the channel but head out of work channell to the mouth head right for about 6 hrs and you will be in the zone for halibut cod snapper and king crab. Bring a gun if your going to camp lots of grizzly . Remember killer whales diving right under the boat we have it on vidio . awsome experince but kinda scary in 16 foot aluminum. I cant wait to take my kids out there one day but were going to try the charlottes this year. Ill call some of my buddies there and try and get u an update on what the road is like these days getting in there. for all i know it might be impassable after winter long way to go and nowhere to turn a boat around if the raod has been landslid of washed out.

burbotman14
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks is there any places closer to prince rupert you can recommend for good halibut and salmon fishing. how about the weather for the other places by prince rupert.
Also what other places would you recommend for bigger halibut and how deep should you fish in july?
Thanks.

Dark
04-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys, burbotman try sportfishing BC website lots of good info for the area you are looking for