PDA

View Full Version : Sako Quad Barrel swap point of impact

Husty
06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
I just received my 22mag barrel for my Sako Quad that previously only had 1 barrel in 17hmr. The Quad features a quick swap that lets you switch out barrels with a torques bit set screw that is under the stock by the trigger guard. I decided to do some testing switching barrels between 22mag and 17hmr. All shots were at 50 yards off a bench and barrels were switched between each group. 22 mag ammo used was 30gr Winchester V-max for 17hmr i used 16gr CCI 'Green' Hollow points. Never used either of those types of ammo before.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Hustinator/20170612_201709_zpsz0uzrtfd.jpg
Sako quad above, had to get higher rings to be able to swap barrels without unmounting the scope every time I decide to switch calibers. Scope is a Vortex Crossfire 2 4-12x40 AO.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Hustinator/mhm/20170613_083132_1497364349549_resized_zpsjjfhmrl8. jpg
1st group in 22mag, I didn't sight in to bulls-eye that close enough.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Hustinator/mhm/20170613_083147_1497364352210_resized_zpsgn2gh3qi. jpg
2nd group 17hmr.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Hustinator/mhm/20170613_083159_1497364354750_resized_zpsikruuqet. jpg
3rd group 22mag.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Hustinator/mhm/20170613_083211_1497364357620_resized_zpsghpcgyib. jpg
4th group 17hmr. After this I re-sighted in for 17hmr as i plan to take it out this weekend so no 5th group in 22mag.

Overall I am pretty happy with the results of point of impact between barrels, which looks to be about an 1-1.5". I could probably brought my torque screwdriver to be more accurate as i was guessing on tightness of the set screw when attaching different barrels. Its also nice to know if i take a barrel off to clean the rifle i should be pretty close to same point of impact as before.

Curious if any CZ455 owners have played around testing point of impact between barrels and what results you have got.

Mhunter51
06-13-2017, 09:54 AM
That's pretty close between the barrels and different calibers. Actually it's very good considering you may get that much variance by just switching brands of ammunition and not even changing calibers. On my CZ there is probably 4 inches or more difference between Rem, Federal and American Eagle without switching anything but ammo brand.

Husty
06-13-2017, 11:19 AM
That's pretty close between the barrels and different calibers. Actually it's very good considering you may get that much variance by just switching brands of ammunition and not even changing calibers. On my CZ there is probably 4 inches or more difference between Rem, Federal and American Eagle without switching anything but ammo brand.

I still need to figure out what ammo the 22mag likes, but 1" @ 50yrd with the 30gr bullets isn't terrible. The limiting factor with this guns accuracy seems to be me not ammunition. Seeing how I will be using it to shoot gophers and other small vermin its more than accurate enough. Not a lot of ammo choices for 22mags, also found some Winchester 40gr fmj for it. The 17hmr barrels seems to like 17gr Hornady V-max the best, which is good because i always see it in stores and it hits gophers hard.

qwert
06-13-2017, 12:22 PM
snip
I could probably brought my torque screwdriver to be more accurate as i was guessing on tightness of the set screw when attaching different barrels. Its also nice to know if i take a barrel off to clean the rifle i should be pretty close to same point of impact as before.

Curious if any CZ455 owners have played around testing point of impact between barrels and what results you have got.

I suggest an additional worthwhile test would be to shoot a group, then remove the barrel and reinstall the same barrel and shoot another group. Repeating this procedure several times using different setscrew? torque values (or other variables) should provide meaningful information.
I would do the same test using only the other caliber barrel to see if the results are the same.
As always, document carefully and completely.

Good Luck, YMMV.

gitrdun
06-13-2017, 05:40 PM
I suggest an additional worthwhile test would be to shoot a group, then remove the barrel and reinstall the same barrel and shoot another group. Repeating this procedure several times using different setscrew? torque values (or other variables) should provide meaningful information.
I would do the same test using only the other caliber barrel to see if the results are the same.
As always, document carefully and completely.

Good Luck, YMMV.

The barrels have a shoulder which abuts to a matching shoulder on the receiver. In theory, a slight amount of torque differential should not make a difference to head space. Having said that, I prefer my barrels to be screwed in and stay in place and not be swapped.

qwert
06-14-2017, 12:26 AM
snip
In theory, a slight amount of torque differential should not make a difference to head space.
snip

from my previous post #4; "(or other variables)",
I submit there MAY be factors other than just head-space.
Your judgement is probably correct, but IMHO, the only way to confirm is to test.
Testing may often reveal an unexpected factor not previously considered, or recognized.

'In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.'

Good Luck, (and in this situation, as always) YMMV.

Husty
06-14-2017, 08:07 AM
The barrels have a shoulder which abuts to a matching shoulder on the receiver. In theory, a slight amount of torque differential should not make a difference to head space. Having said that, I prefer my barrels to be screwed in and stay in place and not be swapped.

How would this differ from say a Ruger 10/22 where the sweet spot i found is 20ft/lbs on the V-Block. Is it because the shoulder on the quad rises vertically, compared to the 10/22 V-block which pushes the barrel in horizontally?

I get how people may not like the idea of barrels being able to swapped and would rather just have another rifle. But it it works it works, and it seems to be working.

Ryan.M.Anderson
06-14-2017, 03:42 PM
My AI AX switch barrel (308 and 6.5X47) has about an 8" vertical spread between barrels and is good for windage.

I find things to be pretty repeatable when taking the barrels on an off. After a cleaning the things take a couple rounds to settle in but they return to zero quite well.

I am personally a fan of switch barrels - one set of ergos, same trigger, same scope, etc. I train with my 308 and compete with my 6.5. Works well for me.

Always thought the Quads were cool guns.