PDA

View Full Version : Early Season Muir Lake

Sartorius
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
So I went out to Muir Lake yesterday to see how much ice there was left on the lake (I'd say it was half open). While there, I didn't notice sight nor sound of any fish, dead or alive. What have people's experiences been with fishing Muir Lake early in the season? Usually when I try fishing stocked lakes early in the season I don't have much success. I'm guessing it's because all the fish have either been caught out or winterkilled. Do Muir Lake's special regulations keep fish in the lake all year? I'm guessing they would.

Also, I noticed alot of garbage and vandalism there. Is there any way that I can volunteer to help clean up or something like that?

seahawkfisher
04-28-2009, 04:40 PM
don't know about any cleanup but as for hooks, i like to go with something big, trolled slowly in the shallows. the fish winter well in muir, i would bet that the weather has kept the surface action slow
cheers

guysmiley
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
I sure wish people could clean up after themselves....

I've fished it early (after it opens on the first of May) with some success. The lake has aerators so there should be no winter kill.

Here is some info on the lake:

http://www.fishalberta.com/muir/muirlake.htm

Garrick.

Doc
04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
So I went out to Muir Lake yesterday to see how much ice there was left on the lake (I'd say it was half open). While there, I didn't notice sight nor sound of any fish, dead or alive. What have people's experiences been with fishing Muir Lake early in the season? Usually when I try fishing stocked lakes early in the season I don't have much success. I'm guessing it's because all the fish have either been caught out or winterkilled. Do Muir Lake's special regulations keep fish in the lake all year? I'm guessing they would.

Also, I noticed alot of garbage and vandalism there. Is there any way that I can volunteer to help clean up or something like that?

The aerators have stopped winterkill in the lake so far but one of the aerators went down this winter due to rodents chewing on the cable so we're not sure if the fish on that side of the lake survived (the narrow part of the lake between the two sections is quite shallow and prob froze right to the bottom limiting the trout in getting to the other aerated section). As far as presentation, slow or still is key this time of year. A leech pattern under an indicator with little to no movement should produce. As far as cleaning up, we used to have clean up crews but the county usually comes in and does a spring clean up as well with so many anglers having a stake in Muir (through donations or volunteer work) each of us usually do a little clean up work before we head out to fish.

To expand on the link above, you can find more updated info here...
http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm

Cheers,
Doc

seahawkfisher
04-29-2009, 09:51 PM
too bad about the airator; which one went down - the launch side or the far side?
lots more deeper water on the far side, although it's probably not deep enough to take away all worries
cheers

Doc
04-30-2009, 07:11 AM
too bad about the airator; which one went down - the launch side or the far side?
lots more deeper water on the far side, although it's probably not deep enough to take away all worries
cheers

The south-east aerator went down. Didn't turn it back on because it may have done more harm than good. It may have just mixed anoxic water throughout the lake at that point so it was kept off. Hope for the best.

Cheers,
Doc