PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about fishing in the glenmore res

calgaryfisher
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
has anyone got any tips for fishing in the glenmore?

loopyalcsel
04-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I go down there all the time what did you want to know?

The Fisherman Guy
04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Try tossing spoons from shore into 5-10 ft of water near any of the points, use a longer rod and braided line to really get some distance on those casts. There are some decent sized pike in there, if you have the time and money to spend trying to find them! I know there are burbot in there, but I have yet to pull one out. If you are just focused on catching fish, target pike. They will be quite active once the ice is off.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out!

ericlin0122
04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Did you park at the glenmore beidge rd and walk down to the res ?

fish-man
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
I fished the Glenmore for a few smoking hot days in August last year. Trolling spoons through the weedbeds landed me a few pike, nothing spectacular, though I did see a 3 ft fish that wouldn't bite. I'm told the odd giant trout is caught there in spring as well.

Freedom55
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Been my experience that you walk west on the shore from the Yacht club on the south side about a kilometre. Cast large spoons with dressed trebles or spinners. When the trout bite, and I have photos of 3-4 lb rainbows, you're in for a fight. When the fish sees the beach it will drag line so be prepared to run up the bank to haul the catch to shore.
Dave Si

2big4u
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
The whole Heritage Park bay is frozen as well as the main body. Up by Weaselhead the river is open but iced at the edges. The N side of the causeway is open and I have pulled some nice pike from shore ar the east side where the path leads to the point. I will be on the water as soon as the ice is gone.

Cheers

Dan

jeprli
04-30-2009, 07:46 AM
Pike are still spawning, there will not be any significant action till ice is completely off, so far what I've heard is only couple of hammer handles have been caught. Give it another week or two, that's when pike get back into shallows to feed.

tbosch
04-30-2009, 08:27 AM
Try tossing spoons from shore into 5-10 ft of water near any of the points, use a longer rod and braided line to really get some distance on those casts. There are some decent sized pike in there, if you have the time and money to spend trying to find them! I know there are burbot in there, but I have yet to pull one out. If you are just focused on catching fish, target pike. They will be quite active once the ice is off.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out!

My cousin in calgary fishes them this way all the time also. He says he has quite productive days out there. And if he can catch fish out there anyone can...

elkfriend
05-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Got a pike there last Friday, not too much action though.

Fisherman mentions burbot in there - can anyone confirm?

TH973
05-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah my buddy got a 9lb burb a couple weeks ago... it was a monster! haha. Saw a 8-9lb brown the other day too, nothing for me but a few medium pikes tho. :(

baitfisher83
05-24-2009, 09:38 AM
i've only been there once but caught nothing, probably the wrong spot cause i was using the same things your guys are mentioning......hoping to give it another shot soon

The Fisherman Guy
05-24-2009, 12:21 PM
a 9lb Brown!?

jeprli
05-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Here's a 7lb 75cm female brown.
http://i44.tinypic.com/v5v39k.jpg

Only thing I regret is the rod that I was fishing with, a short "jerk" rod 7'6" 2 1/2oz. She fought strong, made a couple of decent runs but the fast reel and short sturdy rod ruined the fun factor. I'm not even going to talk about the damages to her mouth. I was chasing pike with a 14cm 1oz jointed crank with a real loud rattle(porcelain), when i pulled this fish out all I could see is my safety snap, she packed the entire thing in her mouth. I have some photos from the Glenmore as well but they're on my brothers cell. This pic is out of my dads backyard.

baitfisher83
05-24-2009, 01:20 PM
awesome fish, makes me wanna take the 2-3 hr bus ride down there..lmao...

salmonfan
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
I am new to fishing, but did manage to catch a small pike last week in the res. I live in Lakeview so I can be fishing in 5 minutes which is great. If anyone would like to give me feedback or responses to these questions I would really appreciate it:

1) any advice on lures etc. I should be using in the res? from what I have read, it will most likely be pike that I catch. What about the set up of the leader, weight (size?), and lure.

2) any advice on good spots to fish in the res?

3) I bought a rod and reel from Wholesale Sports, but I can't get my reel to lock for me. It is always in a state of being "loose" if that makes sense.

4) If I am getting small weeds on my lures, do I need to clean them off each time? I know pike like weeds, so is this a good thing?

5) Any time of day / temperature better in general?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond. I have really liked the first few times I have gone out and can see why people get so addicted...

Cheers.

jesse34567
05-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I am new to fishing, but did manage to catch a small pike last week in the res. I live in Lakeview so I can be fishing in 5 minutes which is great. If anyone would like to give me feedback or responses to these questions I would really appreciate it:

1) any advice on lures etc. I should be using in the res? from what I have read, it will most likely be pike that I catch. What about the set up of the leader, weight (size?), and lure.

2) any advice on good spots to fish in the res?

3) I bought a rod and reel from Wholesale Sports, but I can't get my reel to lock for me. It is always in a state of being "loose" if that makes sense.

4) If I am getting small weeds on my lures, do I need to clean them off each time? I know pike like weeds, so is this a good thing?

5) Any time of day / temperature better in general?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond. I have really liked the first few times I have gone out and can see why people get so addicted...

Cheers.

1) i like to use a white spinnerbait but reddevil spoons work fine
4) yes clean them off (could interfere with hook set
5)early morning and sunrise seem to be productive times

marlin1
05-25-2009, 09:47 PM
check to see the drag is turned on and the fastener opposite the handle is tight on your reel

salmonfan
05-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.