PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Tip Top Rod Guide.

millsboy79
06-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, I posted a while back asking what was going on with my line, turns out the first reply was correct and I had a cracked insert on the top guide of my brand new rod.

I am getting a replacement tip and the "glue" that comes with the kit, what I do not have is a rod spinner. I am curious how important this is. All the youtube videos they show the spinner and it looks pretty slick putting the thread on. Slick enough that I should try and figure something out to mimic it or should I just use a fly tying bobbin and give it my best shot?

I have never done this before and I do not want to screw it up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

drivinman22
06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Tip top slides on, no thread used. Carefully heat tip and pull off. put on glue and slide new tip on.

Salmo
06-19-2017, 02:30 PM
On all rod guides except the tip-top, the rod thread is used to wrap the guide foot and hold it in place while rod building epoxy is laid on and sets (plus looks nice). The rod thread below the tip top is strictly aesthetic, glue it on and you will be fine.

Just make sure you get a good amount of glue into the tip-top guide barrel by heating it with a lighter and working glue into the hole, re-heat, insert on the blank, line it up quickly wipe off any excess and you are done.

millsboy79
06-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Sweet thanks fellas,

I "knew" it was aesthetic but since it was a pricey rod I was hoping to make it pretty, but I think simple is better this time around.

SamSteele
06-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Just make sure you get it on straight. :)

SS

millsboy79
06-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Just make sure you get it on straight. :)

SS
No pressure lol

neilsledder
06-19-2017, 04:45 PM
You can't return it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

millsboy79
06-19-2017, 04:53 PM
You can't return it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They have nothing to exchange for ... so no.

WayneChristie
06-19-2017, 07:53 PM
They have nothing to exchange for ... so no.

take it the fishin hole someone there will do it for you . watch out for the old asian dude hes older than fishing itself

RavYak
06-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Most of the kits are meant for stupidly large rods. If you go into a fishinhole store they have some better sized ones in the back and will replace it for the cost of the guide(a few bucks). If you want to do it yourself buy one of the packs and one of the better sized guides.

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 05:14 AM
Found the right sized guide at basspro but might still go to fishing hole to have it done and keep this tip for a spare.

RavYak
06-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Found the right sized guide at basspro but might still go to fishing hole to have it done and keep this tip for a spare.

If you already have everything might as well put it on. It is really simple.

millsboy79
06-21-2017, 01:08 PM
On closer inspection either the wife bought the wrong one or it's not the same size