PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear your life jacket / PFD?

jip911
06-20-2017, 07:47 AM
My work requires my crew to wear a PFD daily so I bought the guys some inflatables as they were complaining about the old ones being restrictive especially for equipment operations on the rivers edge....

This got me thinking about how the vests on my personal boat are usually used as seat cushions or back rests. The kids always wear their's but the adults pretty much never do. I bought myself an auto inflater and intend on wearing it from now on as I forget I am even wearing them at work.

Sooo... how many folks pack a few extra seat cushions for compliance and how many actually wear their flotation gear?

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 07:51 AM
I bought a fanny pack looking belt one that I only use while wading so it doubles as a wading belt.

Never wear the old style ones when fishing in a boat, but since I have the belt one now I might use it while in a canoe.

oilngas
06-20-2017, 07:55 AM
I insist that all wear a lifevest while the boat is under power. What I have been lax at is attaching the kill lanyard to the boat driver, I will be doing that going forward.

That said the inflatables are great for adults, I just have not found an inflatable that works for the kids. The traditional vests are bulky etc. but that's just the way it is!!

Suggestions for an inflatable for the Gkids?? 4 - 12 years??

shell_guy
06-20-2017, 07:59 AM
I have an inflatable pfd. In my own boat (18' Pro V) I put it on when the lake is rough, or if we are running and gunning in a tournament. On calm weather days when we are just taking it easy I do not wear a PFD. When I go fly fishing on the lakes up north in a 12' aluminum I wear the inflatable all the time as the boats are less stable and lack the tall gunnels of my big boat.

SNAPFisher
06-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Almost never did until I got the inflatable PFD. Once on you forget that it is there. Great purchase!

jip911
06-20-2017, 08:01 AM

Think I read that children need to be 16 yrs of age or 80lbs? If I'm not mistaken...

I'm hoping my new habit wears off on the wife as hers is still being used as an extra cushion...

J

Deasoninc
06-20-2017, 08:46 AM
My kids wear there's at all times in our boat. I wear mine when the water is rough but have been looking at getting the self inflate one and wearing it at all times. Now my wife will not wear hers , she says it is too restrictive. Is there any "well endowed" women out there that wear the self inflates and find them comfortable? I would like to see her wear hers at all times as well.

catnthehat
06-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Always, before I bought my inflatables I wore Mustang vests except in the fall when i wear floater suits if it is real cold out.
But yeah, ALWAYS- nobody gets in my boat without one on.
Cat

Gretz5582
06-20-2017, 09:10 AM
Got a cabelas inflatable. Hardly even know it's on

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 09:16 AM
My kids wear there's at all times in our boat. I wear mine when the water is rough but have been looking at getting the self inflate one and wearing it at all times. Now my wife will not wear hers , she says it is too restrictive. Is there any "well endowed" women out there that wear the self inflates and find them comfortable? I would like to see her wear hers at all times as well.

Get the fanny pack style belt one. Then its a non issue.

Pretty sure I saw them on clearance at Canadian tire.

Drewski Canuck
06-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Always and use an inflatable. Anyone else who is on the boat wears a regular pfd. New ones are soft and comfortable. Not the old hard things we had in the past. No excuse not to wear one.

About 10 years ago coming through Hanna Channel, I was taking down gear and my Bro was watching an eagle flying just over us as he was running the boat. Another boat thought it would be funny to cut in front of us, and throw a big wake. I landed half way in and half way out of the boat at 30 mph. Managed to hold on, but it was fractions of a second and I would have been under the boat. Even when it is table top flat things can happen in a second.

Another time a boat coming in from burdwood cove beside us hit a dead head log, went airborne, and took on a lot of water. Slight chop hid the dead head. He was doing 47 mph and was looking at his sounder at the time of the hit.

That's why you wear a life jacket.

Drewski

Ken07AOVette
06-20-2017, 09:36 AM
I have 5 inflatables in my boat. I just bought myself an auto inflate unit.
Nobody rides in my boat out of the harbour without a life jacket.
I also have the 4 pack of orange c.g. approved titanic style units in case of emergency.

bat119
06-20-2017, 09:40 AM
I sat on mine for years before I bought an inflatable vest, you hardly know its there even in hot weather. Fat guy falls out of the boat not likely he's getting back in.
Better safe than dead

Sooner
06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
When travelling from A to B or trolling its always on but i have taken it off if were just drifting and jigging off the bottom or anchored and jigging of the bottom. By myself and it's always on. Not a big boat, just a old Sears 12 ft Tinner. Lean over one way and someone adjusts their seat position and you can be in for a surprise swim :).

I need to check out these inflatables.

Tfng
06-20-2017, 10:06 AM
I own a floater coat and find I wear it a lot in the early season when the weather often calls for a jacket. I don't wear a life jacket when it's nice out unless the lake gets very rough.

I heard someone drowned at our lake last weekend. Also in a separate incident some American bear hunters swamped a boat but luckily they were in a group and they managed to get everyone and the remaining boats onto an island.

I've been thinking I should get a couple inflatable ones for the wife and I.

Are they coast guard approved yet?

Will an automatic one turn you over if you're unconscious?

How reliable is an automatic one?

Who makes the best one?

neilsledder
06-20-2017, 10:14 AM

My wife has a rather large set (not bragging or anything) and we both have the inflatable jackets, she really like hers as it fits around then nice. The old style ones would smash the girls to much and make the fit no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

last minute
all the cool people are doing:sHa_shakeshout:
I always wear mine no excuse not to. :)

cube
I have an inflatable pfd. In my own boat (18' Pro V) I put it on when the lake is rough, or if we are running and gunning in a tournament. On calm weather days when we are just taking it easy I do not wear a PFD. When I go fly fishing on the lakes up north in a 12' aluminum I wear the inflatable all the time as the boats are less stable and lack the tall gunnels of my big boat.

I imagine that you have a regular life jacket/pfd on board as well when using the inflatable as optional. Inflatable life jackets must be on to be legal. Having it on board and not worn does not count as having a life jacket on board when you are checked.

You probably already know that just wanted others to know as well.

One other point I would like to bring up about the inflatables is that you need to check them regularly by manually inflating them (sharp points like hooks can be murder on balloons) and putting in new rearming kits when the old ones expire.

One last point on infaltables: They generally have 1.5 to 2X the flotation on regular PFD's. Mine has 35 lbs of flotation to keep my head above water when the waves are rolling in.

fish_e_o
06-20-2017, 10:22 AM
I've been thinking I should get a couple inflatable ones for the wife and I.

Are they coast guard approved yet?

Will an automatic one turn you over if you're unconscious?

How reliable is an automatic one?

Who makes the best one?

yes, yes, very, mustang is probably very good i have a cabelas (they're on sale right now)

cube
06-20-2017, 10:22 AM
are they coast guard approved yet? yes as long as they are on you correctly. They do not count if not worn.will an automatic one turn you over if you're unconscious? yes! As a matter a fact they are better than most pfd's as they have 1.5-2x the flotation generally.
how reliable is an automatic one? Very.

who makes the best one? not sure here but mine is mustang

Tfng
06-20-2017, 10:25 AM
Thanks fish _e_o and cube.

Scott N
06-20-2017, 10:31 AM
I had a close call last year at about this time and if I didn't have an inflatable PFD, I might not be here today. I always wear one in a boat or float tube.

cube
06-20-2017, 10:32 AM

Not sure about other manufacturers but Mustangs inflatables are 52". You do need a umber of inches of slack so say 48 inches. The extenders are not legal in Canada but are legal in the USA if you can prove your chest size is larger than 52".
Do NOT wear them snugged up there must be a number of inches of slack as when they inflate them will take up the extra room and not let you breath in. This is also why you never put an inflatable under clothing like a jacket.

Ken07AOVette
06-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Where I fish I think a bright inflatable is so they can find the body easier. 49 degree water and me = heart attack and game over I think :shark:

Mike_W
06-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Sounds like she already has some flotation devices!

I wear an inflatable if it is rough.

Walleyedude
06-20-2017, 11:59 AM
I wear an inflatable when it's rough or the water's real cold, especially if I'm by myself. If the weather is decent and the water is reasonably warm, I'm 50/50 on wearing it while running and I generally take it off when actually fishing, including trolling. That being said, I find with the inflatables, that once I put it on, I often find myself wearing it regardless.

I wear it 95+% of the time if I've got kids on board too, I'm responsible for them, and best to lead by example.

One thing I would like to mention is that not all inflatables are created equal. Everyone should seriously consider going with an AUTO INFLATE version. If you take a knock to the head, some other kind of injury (winded, fracture, etc..), or even the shock of cold water, having the presence of mind to pull the inflate cord is anything but a guarantee. If you don't pull the cord, that inflatable life jacket makes for a better anchor than a life saver. That's not a chance I'm willing to take.

The cost to move up to an auto inflate is pretty reasonable, and worth every penny in my opinion. Take a serious look at the HIT hydrostatic versions if you're a fisherman, they can be worn all day in a downpour or get soaked in a boat compartment without deploying, and yet they're extremely reliable when needed and submerged.

ROA
06-20-2017, 12:08 PM
A lot of people say they only wear their jacket when it is rough or they are going from point A to b. A real eye opener for me was the time I jumped into the water on a fairly calm summer day. Even in the smallest of breeze the boat was drifting fast enough I could barely catch it while wearing my clothes. Of course my buddy's thought it was funny but I realized if I ever fell in and the boat was moving at all I would be done for.

neilsledder
06-20-2017, 12:16 PM
I imagine that you have a regular life jacket/pfd on board as well when using the inflatable as optional. Inflatable life jackets must be on to be legal. Having it on board and not worn does not count as having a life jacket on board when you are checked.

You probably already know that just wanted others to know as well.

One other point I would like to bring up about the inflatables is that you need to check them regularly by manually inflating them (sharp points like hooks can be murder on balloons) and putting in new rearming kits when the old ones expire.

One last point on infaltables: They generally have 1.5 to 2X the flotation on regular PFD's. Mine has 35 lbs of flotation to keep my head above water when the waves are rolling in.

Was out in calling lake and got checked out. Wasn't wearing our inflatable jackets on that's the only ones on board. Never even warned us about that! I guess I got off lucky.

fallen1817
06-20-2017, 12:21 PM
I've only ever fished in my dad's 16' lund. It provided a pretty good sense of security... But with that being said, any time we were going at speed, or if the wind/waves picked up, the PFD's would go on.

however...

Any time we are near water, moving or not, my son (2.5y/o) will be wearing a life jacket.

Tfng
06-20-2017, 12:27 PM
Thanks Walleyedude. The hit series sounds like the way to go.

I discovered this recall while looking and thought I'd post a link here.

https://www.mustangsurvival.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Mustang%20Survival%20HIT%20Inflatable%20PFD%20Safe ty%20Advisory%20-%20CAN%20Consumer%20ALERT%2004Sept2012.pdf

Talking moose
06-20-2017, 12:39 PM
While traveling yes. While stopped or trolling no.

SamSteele
06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
Just a comment on the fanny pack style inflatables. They will not keep your head above water if you get knocked out or struggle in waves. A regular suspender style inflatable will keep your head out of the water (they go around behind your head).

Also, if you carry the inflatables make sure you have a rearm kit in the boat somewhere. I had my inflatable go off in the storage locker last year after a day of heavy rain. The moisture caused the solid material holding back the spring pin to dissolve (like it is supposed to when you fall in) causing the unit to discharge. It would have ruined a trip if I didn't have a spare charge.

SS

cube
06-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Just a comment on the fanny pack style inflatables. They will not keep your head above water if you get knocked out or struggle in waves. A regular suspender style inflatable will keep your head out of the water (they go around behind your head).

Also, if you carry the inflatables make sure you have a rearm kit in the boat somewhere. I had my inflatable go off in the storage locker last year after a day of heavy rain. The moisture caused the solid material holding back the spring pin to dissolve (like it is supposed to when you fall in) causing the unit to discharge. It would have ruined a trip if I didn't have a spare charge.

SS

The newer fanny pack ones can keep your head up as long as your conscious https://mustangsurvival.com//recreational/md3071?division=recreation&country=23#TB_inline?height=404&width=710&inlineId=youtubeplayer-0

What brand and model of auto inflate do you have that falsely went off?
Mine so far has not and I have been out in many a rain storm and always store it in the boat locker, except for winter. Perhaps I have just been lucky. I did ask 3 different reps, including one from the west coast about this very issue and they said it was a non issue and to just get the bobbin style instead of the hydrostatic.

SamSteele
06-20-2017, 02:29 PM
Mine is a Cabela's brand. Not HIT, but the AIT/MIT version.

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 02:36 PM

SS
Nothing keeps your head above water if you're not conscience to pull the string.

Least for me since I want one for wading an automatic would be pointless.

JohninAB
06-20-2017, 02:36 PM
I was in WSS couple of years back and they had the HIT inflatables on sale for a real good price so I bought one. Do not even know you have it on.

I do not ask others on my boat to wear a jacket but if they ask I have more on board for them. Little kids always wear them in my boat, no exceptions.

SamSteele
06-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Nothing keeps your head above water if you're not conscience to pull the string.

Yeah, the auto inflate ones do the minute you hit the water.

JohninAB
06-20-2017, 02:38 PM

Wrong. HIT and auto inflatables will as well as normal life jackets.

cube
06-20-2017, 02:43 PM

As Samsteele says the auto inflates do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSBnMF7xhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5iN2BNjtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqyjG9ml8GM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VVQoUfi_R4

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Yeah, the auto inflate ones do the minute you hit the water.

Hense the edit.

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 02:48 PM
I know ... I use the manual one.

millsboy79
06-20-2017, 02:48 PM
You guys are all on the ball that's for sure.

newguy
06-20-2017, 04:01 PM
We don't wear them, only the kids we take around wear them.

We should.

couleefolk
06-20-2017, 10:55 PM
I can just see what is going to happen when somebody realizes that chest protectors can also save lives in cars, everyone is going to eventually start putting one on before they drive. With as many car accidents that have happened in our area lately, boating is way less of a risk of dying than riding in a car. I am curious how many folks fall out of their boats every year while fishing. Furthermore, we have had several casualties here in Manitoba this year already, with folks that were said to have had their life jackets on.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fatal-canoe-trip-thompson-manitoba-1.4127497

Dewey Cox
06-20-2017, 11:19 PM
I pulled the cord on mine this year.
Tipped the canoe after some rapids.
I didn't pull it right away, but the river was flowing fast, and I was having a hard time trying to swim the canoe to the shore.
I was glad to have that option.

scel
06-21-2017, 02:29 AM
I own a paddling life vest. I always wear it. Always.

Delavan
06-21-2017, 05:42 AM
Me and the wife both use life jackets every time we get on the water with our canoe.
Accidents happens. Doesn't take much for a tragedy to occur.
I'm sure there is more chances to drown than to win the lottery...

jip911
06-21-2017, 06:09 AM
I can just see what is going to happen when somebody realizes that chest protectors can also save lives in cars, everyone is going to eventually start putting one on before they drive. With as many car accidents that have happened in our area lately, boating is way less of a risk of dying than riding in a car. I am curious how many folks fall out of their boats every year while fishing. Furthermore, we have had several casualties here in Manitoba this year already, with folks that were said to have had their life jackets on.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/fatal-canoe-trip-thompson-manitoba-1.4127497

To each is own... I'm assuming yours are extra seat cushions...
I didn't start this thread with any bias to turn life jackets into the next atv helmet law, I was just curious how many folks actually wear their pfds as I never did until getting an inflatable that you simply forget your wearing.

Last year we went from a small tippy 12 ft Jon boat to a 18 ft wide body fishing boat and I think I'm probably 3x as likely to end up in the drink with the new boat as we are constantly standing and moving around, stay out in bigger water and feel unsinkable so to speak... We respected the water and the limitations of the old boat, both lean over the side and you were going swimming.

J

couleefolk
06-21-2017, 07:40 AM
To each is own... I'm assuming yours are extra seat cushions...
I didn't start this thread with any bias to turn life jackets into the next atv helmet law, I was just curious how many folks actually wear their pfds as I never did until getting an inflatable that you simply forget your wearing.

Last year we went from a small tippy 12 ft Jon boat to a 18 ft wide body fishing boat and I think I'm probably 3x as likely to end up in the drink with the new boat as we are constantly standing and moving around, stay out in bigger water and feel unsinkable so to speak... We respected the water and the limitations of the old boat, both lean over the side and you were going swimming.

J

So it seems you think boating is more dangerous than cars, which I disagree with. How many folks have you seen killed every year in cars compared to boating deaths? How many folks go out on the water that don't know how to swim in the first place? There are so many situations that a single brush doesn't cover them all. The kids always wore life jackets in our boat, even though they took swimming lessons. Even if I were to fall out of the boat and were a large person, there is a reason you have a reboarding device attached to the boat, which should also be mandatory even if you have a life preserver on if you really want to play it safe. Most folks I know that hit the drink have always been in small tippy boats or canoes. The only person I know that was thrown from a larger boat was a friend that hit a sandbar at full throttle. We also make sure we do use our lifejackets when we are getting on the step, because water can have unknowns just below the surface that can destroy your boat. It just sits wrong with me that some people want a nanny state that worries about the slim chance someone could die in a highly unlikely situation, but they aren't worried about other areas where the chance of people getting hurt or dying are at much higher odds. It's also the nanny state folks that are always right with their opinions even if they have nothing more to back up their side of the story than the folks on the other side do.

cube
06-21-2017, 07:47 AM

The stats are that FISHING is number one or number 2 in drowning related fatalities. So apparently quite a few folks fall out while fishing.

The stats also say 90% of fatalities did not have a life jacket on so while your correct it is not 100% it is still very significant.

graybeard
06-21-2017, 10:05 AM
If you are not wearing them then don't waste the space in your boat storing them.
They are of no use to you if not being worn.

I was out shore fishing on the Kootenay Lake last summer and witnessed a boat of 5 people capsize in windy period. A 12' tin boat towing a canoe full of gear.

No one had a PFD on as the vests were seen floating in the water. All the people survived even though in the back of my mind I am thinking; I am going to witness a drowning.
This all happened about 500 meters from shore. Two boats in the water did the rescue.....putting their lives at risk.

Once on shore everyone was experiencing hypothermia and all drunk as skunks......:angry3:

millsboy79
06-21-2017, 10:28 AM
If you are not wearing them then don't waste the space in your boat storing them.
They are of no use to you if not being worn.

I was out shore fishing on the Kootenay Lake last summer and witnessed a boat of 5 people capsize in windy period. A 12' tin boat towing a canoe full of gear.

No one had a PFD on as the vests were seen floating in the water. All the people survived even though in the back of my mind I am thinking; I am going to witness a drowning.
This all happened about 500 meters from shore. Two boats in the water did the rescue.....putting their lives at risk.

Once on shore everyone was experiencing hypothermia and all drunk as skunks......:angry3:
Except it's illegal not to have them in your boat.

Okotokian
06-21-2017, 01:02 PM
Depends on the craft and the situation. Canoeing and kayaking, I wear a pfd. I've flipped before. In my 18 ft very stable fishing boat, I usually don't, unless the weather is very rough.

nekred
06-21-2017, 01:45 PM
Always, before I bought my inflatables I wore Mustang vests except in the fall when i wear floater suits if it is real cold out.
But yeah, ALWAYS- nobody gets in my boat without one on.
Cat

Learned from my Dad who insisted everyone in his boat wore one always, one fellow tried to tell my dad he did not need one... Dad said that's fin but you are staying on the dock.

Never heard of anyone saying... I am glad I was not wearing my life jacket oif they go into the water...

As for those using them as seat cushions... try putting one on in the water when you are fully immersed.....

Jack&7
06-21-2017, 04:33 PM
I insist that all wear a lifevest while the boat is under power. What I have been lax at is attaching the kill lanyard to the boat driver, I will be doing that going forward.

That said the inflatables are great for adults, I just have not found an inflatable that works for the kids. The traditional vests are bulky etc. but that's just the way it is!!

I do this as well...while under power. Once I am stopped or even trolling , I don't wear it. But my kids wear them at all times.

Yeah....that kill lanyard thingy.....ummmm.