PDA

View Full Version : Front Hitch???

NW Tradegunner
06-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Somewhere a while ago I saw a hitch that clamped onto the front bumper of a tow vehicle. It was put on there so a person could launch their boat off a trailer and actually see it. I have motorhome and can't see my boat or trailer unless it's way off to one side. Any suggestions/ideas/a place that sells such a thing?

bushnell
06-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Try the Hitchhouse

waterninja
06-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Somewhere a while ago I saw a hitch that clamped onto the front bumper of a tow vehicle. It was put on there so a person could launch their boat off a trailer and actually see it. I have motorhome and can't see my boat or trailer unless it's way off to one side. Any suggestions/ideas/a place that sells such a thing?

Yeh, it is a slick way to launch a boat, esp. if you don't have 4 wheel drive. Also comes in handy for a winch that slides into reciever.

cube
06-22-2017, 07:53 AM

Yes there great. I pretty sure any hitch place will be able to install them as long as there is something solid to bolt them to as they don't clamp onto the bumper unless your boat is very light. Ours bolted to the frame underneath.

EZM
06-22-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm sure almost any decent hitch shop would be able to either install one for you or at least direct you to someone who can.

These units are definitely slick for a situation exactly like yours - backing up a trailer you can't see is nearly impossible.

B.O.
06-22-2017, 08:43 AM
I have a hitch receiver under the front bumper of my truck. I purchased it from standens and installed it myself.

jpohlic
06-22-2017, 08:54 AM
I had the same issue with my truck camper but I installed a rear view camera up high on the back. Gives me a great view of the trailer and it's much easier to flip a switch to turn on the camera than it would be unhitch the trailer from the back and put it on the front.

The front receiver for a winch would be nice though...

TROLLER
06-22-2017, 11:57 AM
I had the same issue with my truck camper but I installed a rear view camera up high on the back. Gives me a great view of the trailer and it's much easier to flip a switch to turn on the camera than it would be unhitch the trailer from the back and put it on the front.

The front receiver for a winch would be nice though...

Problem solved

Sooner
06-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Camera = great idea.

Princess Auto has them if your still wanting a bumper style, class 3 hitch hole bracket.

fish99
06-22-2017, 04:38 PM
had one on the front of the motor home worked well , problem being the front wheel bearings on the motor home got water in them and had to be replaced . be careful how far u drive in the water.

Alberta bull hunter
06-22-2017, 04:42 PM
I recently bought a Curt front hitch for my pickup at ABC muffler and hitch in Edmonton for the purpose of my receiver mount winch and to build a canoe rack out front so i can still pull the fifth wheel and not bring a second trailer if I'm only hauling the canoe. I haven't had time to install it yet but its only 6 bolts and seems like it will be easy. It is vehicle specific for the mount up but maybe if you check with them they will have something that works, it was under 200 bucks.

neilsledder
06-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Maybe a motor home would have enough weight at the back, but I would be nervous if getting stuck easily. So steep boat launches you might not have the traction to back up with the boat on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim473
06-23-2017, 05:50 AM
Maybe a motor home would have enough weight at the back, but I would be nervous if getting stuck easily. So steep boat launches you might not have the traction to back up with the boat on

Back tires would be high and dry out of the mud , less chance to get stuck. Also much easier to steer the trailer.

neilsledder
06-23-2017, 06:42 AM
Back tires would be high and dry out of the mud , less chance to get stuck. Also much easier to steer the trailer.

Yah but tires seem to push weight better then pull it. But then again I am use to of launching my boat into rivers apposed to lakes so maybe I am over thinking it?

catnthehat
06-23-2017, 07:07 AM
I have one on my F350 but never used it until a few weeks back when I decided to try it out with my utilitiy trailer
Worked pretty slick because it was easier to see the trailer for me
Slid it in between several trees and survey stakes with no problem .
Don't think I would bother with it when it comes to my boat however
Cat

couleefolk
06-23-2017, 07:50 AM
I've only used my front receiver for my winch, never for a trailer. My buddy swears by them, especially when he is putting his boat into the corner of the garage for winter.

SamSteele
06-23-2017, 10:14 AM
We had a camperized school bus as our motorhome when we were kids (still have it as a spare room for the cabin actually). My dad fabbed up a front hitch for it, just below the spare tire that was on the front as well. It made launching the boat much easier as you could see better and the rear wheels stayed nice and dry so less odds of getting stuck. Ours wasn't a 3" receiver style, but just some painted angle iron with a 1 7/8" ball on it.

SS

waterninja
06-24-2017, 10:36 AM
My Aunt and Uncle had a resort at White Lake in BC. My uncle had a quad with a front hitch that he used to put guests boats into the water.

Kim473
06-25-2017, 06:37 AM
Yah but tires seem to push weight better then pull it. But then again I am use to of launching my boat into rivers apposed to lakes so maybe I am over thinking it?

Not really. Which usually have better traction ? Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive ?

Front wheel drive does.

Back in the old days, when people got stuck in there model T's they would drive threw mud going backwards because of better traction.

You don't see sled dogs pushing the sled do you ? Hahahaha

Tom Pullings
06-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Not really. Which usually have better traction ? Front wheel drive or rear wheel drive ?

Front wheel drive does.

Back in the old days, when people got stuck in there model T's they would drive threw mud going backwards because of better traction.

You don't see sled dogs pushing the sled do you ? Hahahaha

This has more to do with weight distribution than anything else. Front drive vehicles have the engine right over the drive wheels. Rear drive usually have light rear ends.

couleefolk
06-25-2017, 10:45 AM
Weight distribution has a lot to do with it. I watched a fella try and pull a small tin boat up a steep concrete boat launch with a front wheel drive, no traction at all, and I honestly thought someone was going to have to pull him out. A rear wheel drive would have had much less trouble.