PDA

View Full Version : Broke rod

TROLLER
06-22-2017, 11:51 AM
So, yesterday I broke my G Loomis GL3 just below one of the top eye lets

Any chance this can be repaired or am I sol Hopefully someone in the Calgary area

DiabeticKripple
06-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Check with G Loomis to see if they offer any warranty or top halfs.

I broke my st croix just above the 3rd eyelet and I ordered a new top half for $35 and was good to go

deschambault
06-22-2017, 01:25 PM
I broke a G Loomis salmon rod and they would not honour the warranty. They did allow me to buy a replacement rod for $100 and I eventually did. I wouldn't buy another one though.

jednastka
06-22-2017, 01:56 PM
Assuming the section where it broke is hollow at least a few inches up towards the tip, a repair may be possible, using a fiberglass tiptop from another broken rod. I do these kind of repairs all the time. However, you will lose some tip sensitivity, and there is no guarantee it won't break again.

Vic

hilt134
06-22-2017, 02:15 PM
If its jut the top guide i normally just cut it down to the next one as they never seem to break evenly enlugh to justify a repair.

TROLLER
06-22-2017, 05:34 PM
The break is a good 2ft. from the top tip so me thinks it is gonna go to the trash bin. I have had good luck with St Croix so maybe I'll replace this jigging rod with one of thosel

Walleyedude
06-22-2017, 05:56 PM
The first thing I'd do is ship it to G Loomis in ON and have it checked out by the warranty department. They're pretty generous, especially the first time around, and most likely, they'll ship you a new rod. Worst case scenario, they'll give you a great price on a replacement rod.

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/conventional/support/warranty.html

You also have the option to use the Xpeditor program. It's a no questions asked service that they'll replace your rod with the equivalent rod for a very good price.

http://www.gloomis.com/content/g-loomis/us/en/home/fly-fish/support/xpeditor-program-details.html

Unfortunately, due to abuse, the days of "free" lifetime warranties are pretty much over.

pope
06-22-2017, 09:34 PM
I busted a nice fly rod, took it to stickfix in calgary. They fix broken hockey sticks, but also fishing rods. Not cheap, but it wont break again in the same spot. Cost me $50, but cheaper than a new rod. can find them at stickfix.com

RavYak
06-22-2017, 10:50 PM
If it legitimately broke say fighting a fish then send it in and you should get a replacement from warranty.

If it broke for some other reason then pay the 130 to get a new rod via expedite, they will probably upgrade you to a E6X as that is probably the closest to the GL3 now.

Or you can give it to me if you want to throw it out lol.