PDA

View Full Version : Lac La Ronge

biggerbuck
06-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Thinking of going there for 3-4 days. Heard lots about hunters bay and wondering if anybody knows much about this lake. Thanks

Habfan
06-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Thinking of going there for 3-4 days. Heard lots about hunters bay and wondering if anybody knows much about this lake. Thanks
Hunter Bay is a long way by boat, you'll be lucky if you don't get lost. I flew in there from LaRonge and would suggest you do the same. The Lakers spawn in Hunter Bay, so fall is the best time to fish it. Some big pike in the smaller bays as well. The lake has been netted hard for many years and the fishing is not like it used to be. You can still catch lots of fish though, but it's Super Dangerous if you don't know where your going. If you can afford it get a guide. I haven't been there in 20 years though. If you go, check out the bar called the Zoo !

mickeyjim
06-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Check out Cornhuskers camp. Started with them early June. They were great. Cabins fairly rustic but the guys running it treat you good. Price was reasonable and exactly what they quoted us on the phone. Fishing was fairly decent. Had a couple slow days and one fantastic day. Once we figured them out it was great. I would go back

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Kokanee9
06-26-2017, 02:06 PM
I believe its about a 40 mile boat ride across the lake. You can imagine the waves that can whip up on a crossing like that if the weather turns.

The Spank
06-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Check out Pickerel Bay Cabins too. Great prices and accommodations and the fishing is not what it was 20 years ago is right. It has bounced back very well from all reports.

mickeyjim
06-26-2017, 05:52 PM
When we went to Cornhuskers camp, they guided across the lake from town. The route they took was through all the islands on the north end of the lake. Was a 28 mile boat ride across which took about an hour. Wasn't much big water to cross either so waves shouldn't be much of an issue.

spyguy 0-0-7
06-26-2017, 06:30 PM
If your taking your own boat,take a spare prop,prop nut and tools. Get your hands on a map.Be safe.

The Fisherman Guy
06-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Bring your navionics card, most of the reefs/rocks are marked and will save you $$ and agony.

Hunter Bay is decent, lots of other boats. Pickerel Bay has good night walleye fishing.

Get away from the crowds, fish the reefs, and prepare to catch a LOT of fish.

Big Schnizz
06-26-2017, 08:47 PM

Bringing your own boat or renting? Cornhuskers has been mentioned and yes very rustic cabins, but price wise, they are tough to beat. If you are renting boats, they come to town and pick you up in a nice big covered boat to get you and all your gear out to the camp. They do the same on the way home. If you are bringing your own boat, they will still come to town to meet you and guide you out/take any people/gear in the big boat if necessary. I think they charge about $100 each way for that. Or you could get them to guide you out and you could GPS the route - they are perfectly OK with that. You also can buy maps that have one main route marked.

As mentioned, they go through many islands in the north end of the lake, so some of it is definitely just fine even if windy, but there are definitely stretches where it gets really rough if it's windy and it's coming from the right direction.

Fishing for lakers in Hunters Bay is supposed to be better in the summer as the fish are more congregated around the deep reefs.

Hope that helps!

LCCFisherman
06-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Hunters Bay was good 20 years ago.. Overfished now. I would recommend the east side of the lake though, as it feels far less pressure.

biggerbuck
06-27-2017, 07:24 PM
Thanks everybody. I talked to cornhuskers and they seem absolutely great. I'm taking my own boat and yes they are going to meet me and lead me over. Just me and the wife and yes she always gets the big one!

mickeyjim
06-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Good for you man. Your going to have a good time

220 Swift
06-27-2017, 11:13 PM
Have fun. What is the cost of cornhuskers a night at their lodge or is that allowed to be posted ?

Bushleague
06-28-2017, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=biggerbuck;3572891]Thanks everybody. I talked to cornhuskers and they seem absolutely great. I'm taking my own boat and yes they are going to meet me and lead me over. Just me and the wife and yes she always gets the big one![/QUOTE

Now your just bragging.:)