PDA

View Full Version : Calgary To Comox, Hidden $$$$$

Marty S
06-27-2017, 07:58 AM
So a few of us are gonna fly to the Island and go fish with Davey-Boy. I was going to drive with an inverter in my truck so I would treat my fish right, I'm expecting a heavy volume! But the other two guys want to fly, one who has much more money than time.

My question is the fish packing. I'm trying to call Hardy Buoys but they don't seem to have time to answer their phone. What do they charge to put up fish for airline shipping? Have to buy boxes, ice packs?

Then what does the airline charge per box?

Last question... flash frozen fillets in these thin wall cooler boxes, how long do they stay frozen for? 3 hour drive from Hardy to Comox, right? then hang around airport for two hours, fly 2 hours, and drive home 2 hours.

Ken H
06-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Marty,

Pretty sure you are going with my boss Gary. I went last season and came home with 6 coolers of fish between two of us. It cost around $100.00 per person to fly home. The butchering cost $800.00 between the two of us at Hardy Boys that also included the coolers.. They flash freeze everything and pack it into the coolers for you. Everything was still frozen solid when I got home. Hope this helps you out.

kenh
06-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Same experience for me. Hardy boys does a great job and are very helpful

Marty S
06-28-2017, 07:48 AM
I used Hardy Buoys once a couple years ago, but brought my own coolers and drove. Seems to me I liked their work, whereas in Rupert they cut my cohos paper thin last year.

Sounds like no biggie, thanks. Yup going with Gary. He's like the nicest guy in the world!

Robins36
06-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Some marinas have the freezing facility. We processed our own catch and froze it in Telegraph Cove for $0.10/lb. I believe their freezer is set to -20 deg Celsius. After 8 hours in a cooler it was still completely solid. Hardy Bouys does great work, but I'd rather get my hands dirty than pay for processing.

Daryl

Marty S
06-29-2017, 06:56 AM
Some marinas have the freezing facility. We processed our own catch and froze it in Telegraph Cove for $0.10/lb. I believe their freezer is set to -20 deg Celsius. After 8 hours in a cooler it was still completely solid. Hardy Bouys does great work, but I'd rather get my hands dirty than pay for processing.

Daryl

Do you fly your fish home? Or you driving it? Ya, I prefer to put my own fish up, certainly, but the airline has its regs? They want the fish in certain boxes, certain size and weight, correct? and I'm told they open it to look for ice etc, inspect if not put up at a processer?

In fact I'd much rather put up my own fish than stand thee and look stupid! I like putting stuff up... spend the time and try to do perfect work.

Garlicmarshmellow
06-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Got my fish process by Hardy Boys a couple of weeks ago after a great couple of outtings with Tides and Tales. They picked the fish up at the dock and packaged everything for us. Mike just writes them a note how you want it processed. Cost around 3 bucks a pound all in ready for transport on the plane. If anyone wants some coolers they gave to bring out I got three sitting in my basement. I believe they charged $25 or 29 bucks a cooler Thick freezer bags. For the cost and no hassel it's a nice way to go. They will provided the cooler and Ice packs. Still frozen solid when I got back to calgary. West jet charges $35 for each additional bag/cooler.

dodgeboy1979
06-29-2017, 09:03 AM
i bring lobsters back from the east coast by air. I freeze them good the night before and layer them when i put them in the coleman cooler with bags of frozen veggies. i throw in a few frozen water bottles as well. They come to edmonton still rock hard. If you speak nice to the baggage ladies they sometimes will waive the additional fee for the cooler.

kyledizzy
06-30-2017, 12:24 PM
Check with the airline you are flying with as they all have different requirements.

Westjet for example requires a hard body cooler taped shut and you cannot use any ice.

I've transported fish home from Mexico several times this way, just have the place they are processed at freeze and vac seal the fillets and you'll be fine.

Aside from that it's not different than checking an extra piece of luggage.

Marty S
07-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Well, thanks, very helpful guys. I think we are going on westjet, but I thought styrafoam coolers in a cardboard box from the packers is the norm. Does Hardy boys have a plastic box then for the outside of their styrafoam boxes?

I guess when all's said and done, a few hundred bucks for fancy boxes and such is cheap compared to driving for 2 days wrecked each way plus ferry fees, even just the time, got a lot to get done before coyote season!

I wonder how many cooler boxes of fish per person on an average Serengeti excursion? Say a limit of each item, Chinook, Lingcod, Yelloweye, Halibut and hopefully a few coho... another question, is there a coho limit on the island up there?

Serengeti Charters
07-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Hey bud. Hardy buoys does have wax outers for the plane

Last group that came left with 12 boxes between four guys. I'd say 10-12 is average

Depends where we are fishing but coho limits vary from 1-4 per day. Usually one wild one hatchery per day though

Marty S
07-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Well that works! Straight from Captain Davey! The countdown is on... 7 weeks! Hoping for a bunch of real big chinooks, and calm seas!