PDA

View Full Version : Olds to kill goldfish in Winter Lake

Grizzly Adams
06-28-2017, 05:26 PM
Winter lake is a residential lake in Olds, not your typical Alberta lake. Thirty to forty thousand fish ? Never realized the scope of the problem was that large.

http://www.oldsalbertan.ca/article/Plan-to-kill-goldfish-in-Winter-Lake-announced-20170627

Grizz

azn_rice_man
06-29-2017, 08:11 AM
Wow. That's quite the problem they have.

My buddies and I fished this trout pond in Southern Alberta and to our surprise, we caught a couple good-sized goldfish. Naturally, we killed it and reported it; however, ESRD never responded. Has anyone else have experience with reporting invasive species? Did they ever respond to you?

Deadeye2u
06-29-2017, 09:02 AM

My buddies and I fished this trout pond in Southern Alberta and to our surprise, we caught a couple good-sized goldfish. Naturally, we killed it and reported it; however, ESRD never responded. Has anyone else have experience with reporting invasive species? Did they ever respond to you?

I reported both by phone and in person to a CO about catching one and seeing a large number of carp in a local Red Deer pond . I was told there wasn't much they could do about it. To just kill and properly dispose of any I caught and if I wanted that I could take the bodies to them and they would dispose of them.

Isopod
06-30-2017, 12:11 AM
Rotenone doesn't just kill fish, it is also a non-selective insecticide. So instead of sterilizing this lake, killing off all the dragonfly, damselfly, and other beneficial insects along with the goldfish, why not introduce some pike into this lake to take care oft the goldfish? Let the pike get fat off the goldfish for a year or a few, then open the lake to pike fishing.

goldscud
06-30-2017, 12:41 AM
Invertebrates will re-colonize the pond after the goldfish are taken care off

EZM
06-30-2017, 07:39 AM
Rotenone doesn't just kill fish, it is also a non-selective insecticide. So instead of sterilizing this lake, killing off all the dragonfly, damselfly, and other beneficial insects along with the goldfish, why not introduce some pike into this lake to take care oft the goldfish? Let the pike get fat off the goldfish for a year or a few, then open the lake to pike fishing.

I think the problem with doing that is it would take time, isn't 100% effective and would introduce Pike into a trout pond. Seems like exasperating the issue to me.

Red Bullets
06-30-2017, 03:49 PM
I think the problem with doing that is it would take time, isn't 100% effective and would introduce Pike into a trout pond. Seems like exasperating the issue to me.

I know an old lady that swallowed a fly,
"I don't know why she swallowed the fly, I guess she'll die."

Since it's a residential reservoir maybe they can get a deal with T&T supermarket to harvest the goldfish. They sell every other kind of fish. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

kodiakken
06-30-2017, 05:32 PM

Yes I reported a slough in Central Alberta west of Rimbey that is full of Carp. The problem is everytime we get run off be it spring or rain the slough has a natural runoff to the Medicine River. Phoned 3 times finally got a reply took about two weeks a month later I believe they were out flying over the lake with a helicopter but don't know for sure if it was ESRD or not.
Asked to be kept up to speed but I don't think that is going to happen.
This slough has thousands of Carp in it none of the locals know when they got put in it either. :shark:

trainerdave
07-01-2017, 09:07 PM
Any pond which has a seasonal stream which then flows into the Red Deer river below dixon dam is certainly susceptable to a prussian carp invasion. That would certainly mean the Medicine and Blindman rivers and their tributaries and ponds. As far as Olds is concerned, some of the goldfish/carp may have swam upstream. Unless there is an impassible weir. I saw many of them right below the dam at Hilliers reservoir, which has a seasonal creek flowing out of it, a few years ago already. That is only a few minutes from Olds. In other words, any seasonal creeks which drain into the Rosebud river which leads to the Red Deer river have been open to migrating carp for a few years.

MrDave
07-02-2017, 10:23 AM
Yes I reported a slough in Central Alberta west of Rimbey that is full of Carp. The problem is everytime we get run off be it spring or rain the slough has a natural runoff to the Medicine River. Phoned 3 times finally got a reply took about two weeks a month later I believe they were out flying over the lake with a helicopter but don't know for sure if it was ESRD or not.
Asked to be kept up to speed but I don't think that is going to happen.
This slough has thousands of Carp in it none of the locals know when they got put in it either. :shark:

I was just talking about this with another fellow from up there. He had heard rumours of this. Where abouts is this at?

MrDave
07-02-2017, 10:26 AM
Winter lake is a residential lake in Olds, not your typical Alberta lake. Thirty to forty thousand fish ? Never realized the scope of the problem was that large.

http://www.oldsalbertan.ca/article/Plan-to-kill-goldfish-in-Winter-Lake-announced-20170627

Grizz
Haven't seen this lake yet. Just getting to know that area. Too many idiots out there. It won't be long until the next pond will be found. They are constantly cleaning up these messes.

Sarah-Mae
07-02-2017, 10:27 AM
There are a few ponds in St Albert that are full of goldfish and koi. I haven't caught any yet and when trying to contact anyone about it I don't ever here back.
I wouldn't be surprised if people dump their aquarium fish in the Sturgeon river as well.

kodiakken
07-02-2017, 04:29 PM
I was just talking about this with another fellow from up there. He had heard rumours of this. Where abouts is this at?

This is West of Rimbey.

MrDave
07-03-2017, 12:28 PM
This is West of Rimbey.

That's all I heard too. Guess I will have to ask around and see who has the problem. I know of a few dugouts that it could be. Probably a few that are not known to be contaminated. Hopefully the beaver dam keeps the carp from reaching the lake