PDA

View Full Version : Lip Grip

sv650racer
04-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Just wonder if anyone on here uses the lip grip. Looking for the positives and negatives of using this type of tool. Any input would help. Thanks.

LongDraw
04-30-2009, 08:40 AM
I have never used one but not too sure how holding a fish, especially a bigger one can be good from a small pinch point on the lower jaw?

JohninAB
04-30-2009, 09:10 AM
I am not a fan of them for the big fish either as it cannot be good for their lower jaw when thrashing around etc.

Shmag
04-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I have one, and purchased it with ice fishing in mind for the big pike. In my opinion they work great. I have tried it in summer and find that the revival time is alot less than one being handled by hand. The fish really don't "TRASH" around as much with them making hook removal alot easier.

Bear Ballz
04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
I use the one from Rapala it has the "tits" on the grip itself it works excellent for grabbing them but releasing can be difficult on fish over 8lbs. Beause the opening is too small and the lower jaw of the fish is too big and has a tough time sliding over the "tits" when releasing.

http://www.rapalaworld.com/accessory.php?s=aWQ9MSZzaXZ1PWFjY2Vzc29yaWVzJnR5cG U9MCZwPTEmaD05UkR6Y0h5MA%3D%3D

fisher Gord
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
When you hang a large fish by his lower lip you are straining all the back bone and spinal cord. I do not think lip grip/boga grips are easy on the fish. We were taught to support the middle of the fish to protect internal organs also. Weight the fish in the rubber net then subtract the weight of the net, if you want.

2big4u
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I use one from the Kayak, it keeps them in the water where they don't thrash in the boat, keeps thier mouth open to get the hook out (slightly).

I rarely pull a fish completley out of the water, I do not mess with the slime layer they have and the gripper seems to " put em to sleepP in some cases.

Mine has no scale on it, didn't even want the temptation.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-30-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't think Boca , lip grips whatever you wanna call them , have a place here . I think they were originally designed for bass , to which they might work excellent for , but you wont catch me using these things anytime soon. Ill stick to my Non mesh net and cradle thank you very much .

Shmag
05-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Sooooo, what's the difference in lip grip or say 80-90% of people holding them from the gill plate???:rolleye2:

Bogman10
05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Sooooo, what's the difference in lip grip or say 80-90% of people holding them from the gill plate???:rolleye2:

I have one, don't use it too much, never on the Big boys ( then it's Rubber net and keep em in the water As much as possible ) smaller ones I find them handy.
I only ever use them on Pike or this 14 lb monster perch I caught at "Lost Lake" last spring...... yeah 14lbs Scary!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
05-01-2009, 03:18 PM

If you start holding fish by the gill plate there gonna die right away as well as cut your hand up something fierce . The people holding the fish is in front of the gill plates and Gill rakers . I don't suggest you should do this unless you have done it several times .As like Ive said previous you will end up with Either a cut up hand and a dead fish .Your best bet is a cradle or a plasic covered net .

sv650racer
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info!

PoorTurtle
05-05-2009, 09:03 AM
14 lb monster perch i caught at "lost lake" last spring...... Yeah 14lbs scary!

nfw that was a perch.......maybe 14 oz.